4.0 out of 5 stars Been around forever
The Wonacott's, it seems, have been around forever, writing statistics texts of pretty good quality. I benefitted from their regression text when I was first got into regression analysis, and it was only afterward that I read their text on introductory statistics (second edition). Fortunately for me, it was on the shelf in the Free Library of Philadelphia...
Published on September 15, 2009 by not a natural

2.0 out of 5 stars Our class struggled with this one...
Published on December 20, 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars Our class struggled with this one..., December 20, 2003
This review is from: Introductory Statistics, 5th Edition (Hardcover)
Admittedly, statistics is a challenging subject, but if it's well taught, smart and conscientious students will grasp it. Part of teaching it well calls for a textbook that understands students' needs and abilities, and can lead them systematically from where they are to higher levels of understanding and ability. For my money, Wonnacott & Wonnacott's Introductory Statistics is a clumsy effort in this respect. There isn't enough explanation of new concepts. The graphics and layout aren't very appealing. The examples weren't that useful for our class of social science majors. And each chapter is interrupted repeatedly with practice questions, which get in the way of building on concepts and maintaining a flow. As one other suffering student remarks here, you do a lot of flipping back and forth. OK, so statistics is hard; but this text makes it more difficult than it has to be, and less interesting than it can be. I speak not just for myself: this fall I was in a graduate class of bright, able, hard-working people, and many of them were having a very rough time of it. Something's wrong pedagogically when that happens. Let me recommend an alternative text--Minium, Clarke, & Coladarci's "Elements of Statistical Reasoning," second edition. I used this text four years ago in another intro class taught by Coladarci himself. He's a very talented educator, and he got a classroom full of math-anxious students through some very challenging stuff. Don't take my word for it, though. Check out the reviews on Amazon. They're deservedly very positive. I found myself going back to that book throughout this past semester whenever I was in deep water with Wonnacott and Wonnacott. Once again it pulled me through.

4.0 out of 5 stars Been around forever, September 15, 2009
not a natural "Bob Bickel" (huntington, west virginia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Introductory Statistics, 5th Edition (Hardcover)

Wonnacott's introductory text is a good one, but I doubt that I could use it with the beginning statistics students I teach every semester. Though they are not lacking in intelligence, they seem, almost everyone, to struggle with anything mathematical. Furthermore, insofar as the material is theoretical rather than practical and concrete, they struggle even more.

When evaluating Wonnacott's text, I think it is useful to bear in mind that they themselves are most accustomed to dealing with students in mathematics and economics. As a result, they are justified in assuming that their students have both the capability and interest to handle more difficult material. For students taking statistics under duress, however, especially those who have little or no interest in applying statistics to the disciplines they are studying, Wonnacott's otherwise solid text is not the best choice.

So, while I've enjoyed reading Wonnacott's introductory text, I don't think I'm selling my students short when I say that this is not the book for them. Levin and Fox they can handle, largly because it de-emphasizes theoretical concepts in favor of practical applications.

If you're so inclined, however, this is a good text for self-instruction or review. If you're using it for self-instruction, don't rush and don't expect to read the book from start to finish without struggling a bit with some of the concepts. Wonnacott's introductory text is sufficiently sophisticated that it merits close study and discloses some of the irritatingly counter-intuitive ideas that undergird statistics.

2.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointing..., November 2, 2008
This review is from: Introductory Statistics, 5th Edition (Hardcover)
I was a real fan of Profs.Wonnacotts earlier books. I had used their books on Introductory Statistics 1969 edition, Regression and Econometrics for my graduate class and they were really lucid and helpful. So, when I ordered the latest version of `Introductory Statistics' thinking that it would be better, I was really disappointed. Every chapter is interrupted repeatedly and the flow is not maintained. I must say I actually ended up confused after reading this book (and I have studied the same material before - although from the earlier version). In their rush to print a new version of their book, the authors have simply garbled their original work. Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. If you have a tough time with Statistics, I would refer the 1969 edition (ISBN-10: 0471959650)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Introductory Text, April 8, 2004
Stephen Hess (West Chester, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Introductory Statistics, 5th Edition (Hardcover)
This text provides a thorough introduction to the use of mathematical statistics. Carefully reading the text and solving a reasonable number of the problems will provide one with the capability to apply statistical techniques to analyze data and draw conclusions in real applications. The book is strong on examples but light on theory. Particulary noteworhty is the inclusion of several topics (such as Monte Carlo methods and Bayesian decision theory) that typically are not covered in an introductory presentation. Also useful are the end of chapter "Final Challenges" that require the reader to have mastered the material. If one's objective is to apply statistics to draw appropriate inferences and make decisions, this text will provide the reader with the required tools.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to practical business statistics, January 3, 1999
This review is from: Introductory Statistics, 5th Edition (Hardcover)
Statistics, more than any other mathematical discipline, suffer from the GIGO (garbage-in garbage-out) syndrome. However, the book from Wonnacott gives a pretty broad introduction to a range of practical techniques for data analysis. When you're confronted with a paralysing amount of data, releasing some of the statistical tools will allow you to draw meaningful conclusions. Many of the statistical tools are available in simple Excel. Once you've gone as far as you can with Excel, specialised statistical packages are available.

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy to comprehend introduction to statistics, March 2, 2006
This review is from: Introductory Statistics, 5th Edition (Hardcover)
I used this book as a primary source for my MBA course in statistics and found the book easy to comprehend and well written. In my opition, the book targets a reader who can devote time required to move from section to section to uncover the facinating coverage of the non-trivial subject of statistics and to work on examples. I highly recommend the book to those who want to grain strong comprehension of the basic statistics.

1.0 out of 5 stars Confusing, October 25, 2011
Andrea (Chicago, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Introductory Statistics, 5th Edition (Hardcover)
This book offers answers at the back of the book but no explanation for how the answers were formulated. Don't know what formulas to use for what, and some of the review questions seem to not correspond to the sections they are located. This is a terrible book.

5.0 out of 5 stars simple, good examples, January 21, 2013
This review is from: Introductory Statistics, 5th Edition (Hardcover)
I liked so much especially the examples and the answers at the end of the book.
Some concepts were proved step by step.
Excellent book about statistics.

5.0 out of 5 stars W&W Intro Stats, 5th Ed., December 14, 2014
This review is from: Introductory Statistics, 5th Edition (Hardcover)
My reviews are simple and straightforward.

The Good:
* Wonnacott and Wonnacott present statistical calculations in an easy to follow format reminiscent of an undergraduate textbook
* Graphs and illustrations are laid out in line with the conceptual material
* Examples are carried over throughout the book, adding continuity and complexity to real-world problems (even if their data is cooked)

The Bad:
* Some concepts are merely glossed over; I wanted a more concrete explanation of expected values and what methods one uses to find them, for example
* Their Chi-square tables are near the Appendix and problem solution sections, not near the t and z-tables where they should be
* Miscellaneous organizational idiosyncrasies

Bottom Line:
Still one of the best books on statistics out there. Recommend for anyone looking for a reference for applied statistics.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst book ever written on the subject!, May 12, 2000
This review is from: Introductory Statistics, 5th Edition (Hardcover)
This is the worst book ever written on the subject. Professors often assign it, but students hate it. The author tried to cramp too much in the book, withough adequate explanation. The material is presented the worst way possible.

Introductory Statistics, 5th Edition
Introductory Statistics, 5th Edition by Ronald J. Wonnacott (Hardcover - January 2, 1990)
$169.34