5.0 out of 5 stars Buy your update here, not through Quickbooks
For years I spent money on my accountant preparing paychecks. I then discovered Quickbooks and Quickbooks Payroll. I used it for a year and it worked perfectly.

Published on February 4, 2012 by ASA

The manufacturer commented on the review below
3.0 out of 5 stars you need quickbooks
This wasn't clear to me, but to use this payroll program, you must also have Quickbooks installed. When adding the two together, the software is around $400. Just so you know.
Published on February 29, 2012 by snorton

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy your update here, not through Quickbooks, February 4, 2012
ASA (Northern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: QuickBooks Basic Payroll 2012 (CD-ROM)

I got an request to charge my credit card $135 for another year's subscription. I went on Amazon, and found this for about 1/2 the price. Intuit would not match the price, so I bought this. A great time saver, and a great value here on Amazon.

3.0 out of 5 stars you need quickbooks, February 29, 2012

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 3:10:35 PM PST
Hi, my name is Amy and I'm with the Intuit Payroll Product Team. Our Basic and Enhanced payroll products integrate directly with QuickBooks to make payroll a seamless process, so I apologize that this requirement wasn't clear. We also have great payroll products for non-QuickBooks customers, Intuit Online Payroll (http://payroll.intuit.com/payroll_services/online_payroll.jsp) and Intuit Full Service Payroll (http://payroll.intuit.com/payroll_services/fullservice_payroll.jsp). We're in the process of getting those on Amazon, but for now you can find them on our website (www.payroll.com). Those are both standalone offerings and hopefully you'll find one that fits your needs! Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this service- simple as that., December 15, 2011
This review is from: QuickBooks Basic Payroll 2012 (CD-ROM)
I used to do payroll by hand; have had a CPA in the past also; bottom line this is a great intuitive easy program to use. I have used this payroll service for 9 years, no, absolutely no problems and I have usually had about 7 employees. If I have a question, the excellent customer service department has always been able to answer it - however I can count the times I needed answers on one hand because it is so easy. Everything I need for month end, quarter end, and year end is at my fingertips. I can drill down in many different ways to look at data. Bottom line - I am taking the time to endorse this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars No New Functionality, March 31, 2012
This review is from: QuickBooks Basic Payroll 2012 (CD-ROM)
To start this review, I will tell you I am a CPA in "real life" and see nothing new here to justify purchasing a newer version unless Intuit has you over one of their many barrels in a forced upgrade that just annoys the &^$% out of their customers. I was annoyed with having to purchase this version at all - Intuit really needs to work on their licensing program as well as their no-help customer service: the machine I had QB 2010 and a current version of Payroll on died. Little did I know the online version I purchased was a "one time download only" version, and their customer service department wouldn't let me re-download it.

Accordingly, I bought the CD / DVD version and have made a vow to do that with all future Intuit purchases - the price for the DVD version is actually cheaper on Amazon than purchasing it and downloading from Intuit (doesn't make sense).

Install was a snap, and I see absolutely zero difference in functionality between this 2012 version of Payroll and what it was replacing. Granted, my needs are pretty simple (single member LLC with one employee), but every piece of functionality I use is exactly the same. If you do not need to upgrade due to the licensing rollover, I would recommend you save your money until you absolutely, positively, have to get the software - and when you do, make sure on all future Intuit products you purchase the DVD install version vs. downloading it. Please be aware if you do purchase and install this version, Intuit will charge you over $100 each year to continue the license. It's a great cash flow scheme for them, but really makes you wonder if you are purchasing a piece of software or are you really just purchasing a license. Me thinks it is just the license.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 12:43:57 PM PDT
Hi Michael. My name is Amy and I'm with our Intuit Payroll Product Team. Each year, we update our product to comply with the latest tax rates and payroll regulations. So although you may not notice differences in the product, we are making updates to keep your business in compliance. If you have suggestions on new features you'd like to see, we're all ears! In regards to price, Amazon will occasionally offer promotional pricing on your first year of service that differs from what you see on Intuit.com. Going forward, the product will renew at the regular price. Thanks for your feedback.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best price on the net, March 31, 2012
This review is from: QuickBooks Basic Payroll 2012 (CD-ROM)
For years I have used QB Basic Payroll for free for my own company and two clients -- the condition was that the company could only have one employee, which we all did.
Well, in their attempt to gouge every last dime out of the marketplace, Intuit has decided to discontinue FREE basic payroll for one employee companies and force us all to purchase a payroll subscription. This is the best price out there. Disgruntled, but happy I found a $20 discount.

1.0 out of 5 stars Costs too much for a very small business, July 19, 2012
This review is from: QuickBooks Basic Payroll 2012 (CD-ROM)
I have only a couple of part-time/temporary employees - but I still have pay as much as the big companies for payroll services - $345 - just went up from $299! Quickbooks needs a smaller version for companies that need the tax tables but not all the other bells and whistles for payroll.

3.0 out of 5 stars Subscription cost confusion, March 4, 2012
This review is from: QuickBooks Basic Payroll 2012 (CD-ROM)
I have read several posts regarding the subscription price for basic payroll and enhanced payroll. I'm still confused, seems like others are as well. Is the 1st year subscription INCLUDED with purchase of the software? I understand that there is a renewal fee annually (thereafter?)
Will someone from Intuit payroll please answer my question? Thank you.

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 3:14:43 PM PST
Hi Bree, my name is Amy and I'm with the Intuit Payroll Product Team. Your first year of service is included with the purchase of Basic or Enhanced payroll. At the end of the year we'll automatically renew your service, which provides you with the latest tax tables to keep your payroll up-to-date! If you have any other questions please let us know. Thanks

2.0 out of 5 stars Payroll, November 18, 2012
This review is from: QuickBooks Basic Payroll 2012 (CD-ROM)
Price was a bit less than in the stores and if you want to do payroll out of Quickbooks it is mandatory. It's the exact same product as last year but Quickbooks makes the previous version inopperable after a year,bastards!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not For Buisness, June 21, 2012
This review is from: QuickBooks Basic Payroll 2012 (CD-ROM)
If your running a buisness and are going to start doing payroll this IS NOT the product you want.It doesnt tell you that you will need updates from the IRS,which this will NOT do.And it is only a base for payroll NOT the advanced that you will need for taxes and so forth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Payroll made simple, December 13, 2011
This review is from: QuickBooks Basic Payroll 2012 (CD-ROM)
Quickbooks Basic Payroll Subscription gives you all the tools and advice necessary to make payroll a breeze. Auto-calculations for salary, taxes, and other deductions are a life saver to the busy Office Manager!

QuickBooks Basic Payroll 2012
QuickBooks Basic Payroll 2012 by Intuit, Inc. (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
Out of stock