5.0 out of 5 stars Great investment management!
04/04/2011: Mint.com is owned and run by Intuit, a little company with some experience in the tax and investment arena. (TurboTax, Quicken, QuickBooks, business marketing and management, etc.)
Published on April 4, 2011 by Ryan

2.0 out of 5 stars ok, definitely lacks functionality
Published on December 27, 2011 by anon

5.0 out of 5 stars Great investment management!, April 4, 2011
Ryan (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mint.com Personal Finance (App)
The only similar website/app pairing in this department I've used is PageOnce.com, which focuses more on bill tracking and general web login aggregation. If you want something to monitor and remind you for all of your utilities, credit cards, ebay bidding, and that ilk, look at the PageOnce app. It has a free version and a paid version that allows more than a handful (5? 10? Haven't used it in a while, myself,) of tracked websites. The paid version is $15 IIRC, which is more than your average app purchase, but the website is free to use, which is the vast majority of the service.
Mint focuses entirely on the investment and credit end of finances. You'll provide your car loan account, mortgage, credit cards, CDs, and stock portfolios and mint will provide (very!) easy to use budgeting tools and inform you of a relatively wide range of customizable alerts, most of which are disabled by default.
There are a few features that I was particularly pleased about when I realized they were there:
- Mint tracks your property values via Z!llow, to compare with what you owe on your mortgage. Cringeful at times, but still good to know.
- Mint reminds you to obtain a current credit score on a regular basis; vital to watch out for identity theft or credit snafus if your credit/bank accounts don't do this for you already.
- Mint will guide you to invest for large future purchases with the "Goals" feature by guiding you to (advertised affiliate) high interest savings options based on the budgets you've set up for yourself.
- Mint tells you when you're spending too much on Amazon Daily Deals for your own good, -assuming- you've (easily!) set your budget limits.
- Mint gives you a good idea of whether your investments are paying off according to national averages as well as points you to lenders with better APR and lower fees. The "Ways To Save" tab on the website lists a solid collection of credit cards and bank accounts, organized by reward to cost; happily, Intuit always clearly labels which providers are paid sponsors vs. which are just better than your current rates.
The website (like the aforementioned PageOnce site) is the real meat and mead of the service, delegating the Mint.com Personal Finance app as a general income/expense real time monitor. Probably the best feature of the app is the Home Widget that provides at-a-glance Cash and Credit Debt totals for all of your accounts. Invaluable for dumb schmoes like myself that virtually survive on impulse buys. *Okay, I really want that, but it's outside my budget because I owe $2988 and only have $2232 as of half an hour ago.* By checking this widget any time I'm about to make a pricy mistake, I've saved myself bucket loads of pain down the line.
Mint.com gave me what I needed to dip my toe into actual credit instead of living on cash-in-hand for the decade since I moved out from my folks' place. It's easy to use, feature-rich, and never presumes you know the finer points of investment, credit, or how to tell the difference between an IRA, a CD, and a mattress full of ones.
It's free, from a reputable and established company, and genuinely useful. I'd recommend it to, well, anybody willing to read a recommendation, apparently.

02/16/11: Update! As Android development has continued apace, Mint.com has kept up in most cases. The app is still on my most-used list, the site is still excellent, and I would be emotionally damaged if I lost my now-long-standing relationship with the service. That said, the updates have been minimal and uncommon. That's both good and bad. It's good for anyone that watches their data usage (I don't) or values stability in anything with your entire life's savings at its fingertips (I do). It's bad because the app is still in Android2.1Interfaceville and hasn't kept up with a few of the design paradigms. That includes a resizable widget and a small handful of API references that would improve the user interface. So far as functionality, Mint.com remains rock solid. After reading through all that again, I realize I should mention that I'm unaffiliated with... anyone, really. I'm solely an OCD end-user that likes to read what he's written far too much.

3/5/13: Updateydate! The Mint.com app has, as of a couple of months ago, been fully updated to the delicious JellyBean interface standards. That includes three new resize-friendly widgets in addition to a modernized basic Balances widget. One new and delightful bug has also been introduced. When I first add a Mint.com widget to my (HTC Rezound, AOSP, CM9+, Apex) launch screen, the phone enters Airplane mode. I'm at a genuine loss as to why. It may be the fault of Apex Launcher as I don't recall Mint.com possessing the permissions to actually toggle Airplane mode. Nevertheless, this is the sole app to cause this exciting and initially disconcerting connectivity change. The app itself has only gained features and greater information control, so I'm certainly not going to complain.

4.0 out of 5 stars For free, this is pretty awesome, March 25, 2011
M. Stefanko (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mint.com Personal Finance (App)
Good app for budgeting. I haven't tried the other apps that do the same thing otu, so I can only comment on my experience with mint.com. Does a decent job of keeping track of your purchases for you. Not for everyone, if people are paranoid about their personal information elsewhere, they are going to be pretty against giving access to something like this to their finances. But it seems secure to me, i've always been comfortable. My major complaints with this service, occaisionally misses a purchase, for whatever reason, and that throws everything off. And it does take some manual work, the automatic categorization is iffy at times. As much as I'd like to consider drinks at a bar as "pharmaceutical," just can't seem to justify it when it comes to my finances.

droid x

2.0 out of 5 stars ok, definitely lacks functionality, December 27, 2011
This review is from: Mint.com Personal Finance (App)
I love mint. However, this app leaves a lot to wish for. Trends are not available, which is very frustrating, given that on mobile devices trends are also not functional on the web browser due to flash issues. Budgets only show the current month and are difficult or impossible to customize on the app. My favorite part of the website is the graphics showing net income over the last several months, and that feature is nowhere on the app. Lastly, a general Mint criticism is that it only lets you budget for the current month. As we approach a new year, I would really appreciate being able to start making budget adjustmansts for January, since I have time off to review our financials now, but will not have time to plan when January starts.

1.0 out of 5 stars Misses even the basics, August 25, 2012
Beasley (Chelsea, MI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mint.com Personal Finance (App)
At first we loved Mint, but soon there were ridiculous problems:
~They can't record more than one transaction that has the same merchant, date, and price (ex 3 plane tkts for same flight)--even though the credit card company lists 3 distinct transactions. We contacted them about this and they agreed that they should be able to fix it but can't.
~They dropped 6 weeks of transactions when our credit card account number changed and they are unable to fix it.
~They automatically make any $500 check to a particular payee, even though we never checked the box for them to do so. This has led to much confusion.
Sadly, these problems make them not worth using.

1.0 out of 5 stars unauthorized logging into my bank account when not used, June 27, 2012
This review is from: Mint.com Personal Finance (App)
this program logs into your bank account even when you aren't running the program. My bank account is set up to send me an email when ever my account is logged into or attempted logins. This is a bad security risk. the program is logging into my bank accounts when i didn't use the software nor authorized it too. I've had to change my account passwords twice in one week until i realized it was this program doing it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless app., December 29, 2011
This review is from: Mint.com Personal Finance (App)
I love mint.com and have used it for 2 years. My hubby bought me a kindle fire and this was the first app I downloaded. I'm so disappointed! I can't do anything with this app except LOOK at my activity. To manipulate my budget in any way (including adding an actual budget), I still have to log in to my account online which defeats the purpose of a good app. This is crap with no functionality. Good thing it's free.

1.0 out of 5 stars Uninstalled after 2 days, January 30, 2012
This review is from: Mint.com Personal Finance (App)
I had both this app and a mint.com account that I had entered all information into and it was gathering info from nearly all my financial places except the ones from Canada even though it was on their list but I figured it was because of the language difference or something along those lines.

I have since uninstalled this app and removed my account from mint.com because they cannot provide any other pay periods that once a month. Not everyone gets paid monthly and to have no ability to put in actual pay dates is a deal breaker for me.

I desperately need a program/app to handle my budget and mint was highly recommended, it was very easy to use since it gathered all my data for me instead of having to manually input everything but the issue with the lack of payday options is ridiculous in this day and age...

1.0 out of 5 stars False information, January 8, 2014
Lynne Silva (West Tisbury, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mint.com Personal Finance (App)
I was excited to try Mint when I read some of the reviews. In one of my many lives I was a bookkeeper, both for my own business and as a consultant for others.
I was shocked when, just a few days after I started using the app, there were two items that I didn't recognize, one for over $700. When I called the institution that it said I had paid, they had no record of such a transaction on my account, in fact they had not had any activity on my account for several months! I immediately sent an email to Mint to find out how such a thing could happen; I have yet to hear from them. That was a month ago.
Now I simply don't trust them. I have also had lots of transactions that were mis-catagorized.
A financial app that you can't trust is a waste of time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Communications, March 14, 2013
This review is from: Mint.com Personal Finance (App)
This application had big trouble loading, updating and holding the correct information on the Kindle Fire. It works much better on the iPad.

2.0 out of 5 stars same as iphone app, not a tablet app (kindle fire,not android tab), July 5, 2012
This review is from: Mint.com Personal Finance (App)
Mint is already out for other android tabs, but for some reason the kindle fire version works exactly the same as the iphone all, which I already have. I completely expected the kindle app to work like the ipad app or the other android apps with the extra functionality, like adjusting graphs and viewing investment trends and all the other stuff that the tablet apps do. I have learned that the kindle fire is NOT a full android tablet.

Mint.com Personal Finance