Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: CD-ROM|Change
Price:$44.96+ $3.99 shipping

on March 14, 2004
This is my fifth year of using Turbo Tax Basic to file my return. I have always liked the product but disliked the company. I have always found Intuit's customer service poor and their insistent marketing distasteful. But I can live with that as long as the quality of the product was acceptable. However, this year's product (Turbo Tax Basic on CD) is without a doubt the buggiest version of Turbo Tax I have ever used.
I have previously worked for the IRS and have and MBA and I do my own taxes. They are not terribly complicated and my problem is not with the actual tax calculation portion of the program (which worked OK) but rather with the installation and startup of the program.
I currently am teaching Information Systems at a Texas university so I know my way around a computer. However, I could not initially install the program because of the "necessary version files" problem. Intuit posted a patch on their site to work around that problem and I got the program installed. Now, when I go back to restart the program I get a "Your configuration has been modified pdr.ini startup. Please re-install). I haven't even wasted my time trying to figure that out, I just reinstalled the program.
Doing taxes is stressful enough without having to worry about your tax software crashing on you or fearing that once you close the program it won't start up again. I have also read terrible reviews about the latest version of Intuit's other flagship product, Quicken. It appears that the company is getting sloppy in its development and testing.
I have my 2003 return in pdf format so at least I can file it. I haven't decided if I will submit it electronically yet or not. I would hate to have it "eaten" by an unstable product. But what I have decided is that next tax season I plan to review alternative products.
on March 20, 2004
I am satisified with the turbotax and have been using it for 5 years. Whenever I found something wrong, it is not the software, it is my poor understanding of the tax. Why do those Congressmen and IRS make the tax so complicated?
on February 1, 2004
This is the 5th year using TurboTax of various flavors - Basic, Deluxe, & Premier. As ususal, information from last year comes across smoothly with all the pertinent information. I also used Its Deductible this year after we gave a truckload on the little one's things away. Hope she doesn't notice! TurboTax imported all the charitable items straight over so no duplicate typing. All went well, even the new mortgage change, the state download but then the error check. The first three errors, my fault. The last one, the Chat Tech informed me, is a missing form that did not go out with the product and will not be available until mid-February. Whooa! I've I'll ready spent my return. Maybe in 2004 they won't release their beta version again.
on January 31, 2004
I share the feelings of other reviewers regarding Turbo Tax's poor customer service. I had a particularly bad experience. When I filed electronically, their central computer facility doubled the amount of my income that was forwarded to the IRS. I learned of this when I received a notice from the IRS informing me of the additional tax that I owed. Their customer service person, who was very difficult to reach, was of no help, and refused to even acknowledge any responsibility on their part for the mess up. To correct the problem, I had to file an amended return, which cannot be done electronically. It was finally sorted out, but I didn't receive my refund until months after I would have had I not used Turbo Tax.
on June 20, 2004
I didn't have a problem using TurboTax last year (even with the software activation) so I used it again this year. The software with its interview format worked for me, was able to save my return as pdf and e-file without a hassle. The only real pain was getting the updates. I had to go to Intuit's website to look for info and play around with my broadband connection to get the updates to download.
My return has gotten easier over the past few years but with the update annoyance, I may just buy TaxCut next year. I don't import last year's stuff so Intuit - give me a reason to get TurboTax 2004.
on August 15, 2004
TurboTax may or may not be a good product; I was never able to successfully download it!

Unfortunately I needed it the day I purchased it, and the "Help" offered by the Amazon.com links were not specific enough to identify the source of the trouble. After three hours I gave up and requested a refund.
on April 4, 2004
After 20 tries, I am giving up on downloading this software. I keep getting a message that the program is not available. I was trying to simplify the process, not create new headaches (including my now having to send some silly "Letter of Destruction" to Amazon before I can get my money back). Go directly to TurboTax.
on November 17, 2014
We received this package & all worked accordingly. The bucket trip sailed safely after that!!
on October 22, 2010
I am using Turbo Tax since 2000. it's simple and easy to file the Tax.
on March 29, 2004
Just tried several times to buy Turbo Tax Download off your website. This would be my first purchase on Amazon. Your server just locked up during each attempt. Hopefully no charge on my Amex Card. Best Buy here I come.