4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, well-made bench, but...
Published 13 months ago by Nicole K. Drake

1.0 out of 5 stars BAD back
Published on March 8, 2010 by Jayne P Flanagan

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, well-made bench, but..., July 31, 2013
Nicole K. Drake (Boise, ID United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Invacare Transfer Bench (Health and Beauty)
This bench is very sturdy and well-made. The seat and back are both comfortable, and the handrail on the end is well-placed and well-attached. There's even a soap dish on the side (right on the end where the handrail is, though you can't see it in the product picture). In personally wish it weighed a little less since it would make moving it around easier, but I got this bench because I like the shape of the seat back and how it attaches to the seat, and getting that's worth having a heavier bench than one I would be able to reposition more easily. However, there are 2 problems with it that led me to give it a 4-star rating instead of 5.

1) There is a notch on the front edge of the seat near the handrail that's supposed to be where you can hang a hand-held shower head, which is a fantastic idea because it would make it easy to reach and even let the spray from your shower hit your lap while you're using your hands for soaping down. Unfortunately, it's not shaped right to fit a shower head, at least not the one I bought.

2) But the real problem is the assembly. The instructions are terrible. There is 1 very small drawing of each of 3 models of bench covered by these instructions, and a few sentences of very basic explanation for how to put it together, and that's it. It doesn't give a list of the contents with descriptions/images so you can't be sure that everything you need is even in the box. It doesn't give a list of tools that you need to assemble it. It tells you what order to do things in, but doesn't tell you which screws to use for any of the steps; there are 2 different types of screws and 2 different sizes of one of the types. It would have been nice to have the different sizes pointed out because we put one of the long ones where we should have put a short one and had to take it apart and start over. Since there was only one drawing of the completed bench, we had to figure out through trial and error where each piece fit. The entire process took twice as long as it should have.

So, here's all of that info: Contents: bench, seat back, 2 long adjustable leg sets, 2 leg cross-stabilizing bars, 1 handrail, 1 plastic bag with hardware: 8 long, thin phillips-head screws with sharp points used to screw the long legs to the bench, 4 phillips-head bolts and 4 nuts used to secure the cross-stabilizing bars. 2 of the bolts are about 1/4" longer than the other 2 because they also attach the handrail to the legs on the opposite side from the cross bars. You will need a large phillips-head screwdriver. The nuts can be screwed to the bolts with a crescent wrench, adjustable wrench, or a set of wrenches. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything that said whether the hardware was standard or metric sized, so I don't know what size wrench you will need, but it looked roughly 1/4". The seat back snaps into place by pushing down on it; no tools needed there.

And while this isn't a complaint, I will give buyers a warning when it comes to assembly: Putting in the screws took a lot more strength than we expected. This bench is for me, and there's no way I could have assembled it myself. The Occupational Therapist who helped me even had trouble, and she's done bench assemblies before. The screws that attach the adjustable legs along the front and rear lengths of the bench are being screwed directly into holes in the plastic that are smaller than the diameter of the screws. It's like putting a screw into a block of wood by hand that has holes drilled into it--you're creating the threads as you go. As for the cross braces and the hand rail, they're attached with nuts and bolts, but the nuts have a rubber ring imbedded inside that act as a locking mechanism to prevent the bolts from coming undone. They will definitely do their intended job, but it makes it very hard to screw the nuts onto the bolts, because the rubber isn't threaded and the diameter of the hole is smaller than that of the nut itself. The seat back also required a lot of force to lock into place, another thing I couldn't have done myself.

The reason I'm not complaining about this part of assembly is that I believe they made the screws so hard to put in for the sake of stability and sturdyness. This bench has a maximum weight capacity of 400lbs, which is a lot higher than some of other benches I looked at. Invacare is obviously making sure the bench won't fall apart under the patient. I believe it's also why the bench is heavier than the bench my OT brought to my house for me to try out originally, which was an older, discontinued Invacare model with a much lower weight capacity.

All in all, this is a good buy if you've got someone with the muscle to put it together, especially if you need a sturdy bench. I hope that my comments about the assembly process will be helpful for anyone who buys it and finds the instructions as inadequate as I did.

1.0 out of 5 stars BAD back, March 8, 2010
This review is from: Invacare Transfer Bench (Health and Beauty)
This seat is very bad for a disabled person. I have MS and trying to sit on this is very hard as the back of the seat lays back, it is NOT secure, the back almost pops out of the slots, its all plastic for the back, metal would be better. I only weigh 108lbs. My husband had to put four screws in the back to secure it and a wood wedge at each side. Now it is secure and I no longer fall way back on it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Item Missing Parts, April 17, 2007
This review is from: Invacare Transfer Bench (Health and Beauty)
Received the transfer bench yesterday. Product was missing all the screws and bolts to assemble the product. When I called the company to get the items I needed, the operator acted like they were doing me a favor and questioned me as if I was lying. I will never buy a Invacare Product again.

5.0 out of 5 stars great buy, April 29, 2010
mjmorgan64 "morgan64" (Lafayette, Louisiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Invacare Transfer Bench (Health and Beauty)
This is the second one of these my family has bought in the last 10 years. The first one lasted 10 years and three different family members have used it after back surgeries. I am the current user and love the bench and it is very sturdy as I am 420 pounds. I bought a new one as the old one was starting to have a few cracks in the plastic, but as it was 10 years old I think it has held up wonderfully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, November 4, 2006
This review is from: Invacare Transfer Bench (Health and Beauty)
Great product, excellent shipping...Great quality. My mother is well pleased...would buy from again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor instructions, May 18, 2014
This review is from: Invacare Transfer Bench (Health and Beauty)
The instructions for putting this chair together were so awful. It took two of us (both college graduates) over an hour. Both the words and the diagrams ignored some of the parts and there was no explanation of what to do with them. There were different size screws and no indication of where they would be used.
Once we finally got the bench together it worked fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to screw together!, January 18, 2014
Kathy L. Skiados (BALTIMORE, MARYLAND, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Invacare Transfer Bench (Health and Beauty)
The only thing I didn't like about was the difficulty of putting it together. If some parts were put together before hand, it would be better in my eyes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for elderly parents and they LOVE it!, November 17, 2013
This review is from: Invacare Transfer Bench (Health and Beauty)
I bought this for my elderly parents. They had been slipping getting out of the bathtub shower. The have fallen many times. I talked to them yesterday and they LOVE this bench. They commented that the back rest was very comfortable and it was the perfect height to be able to stand up from once they were on the outside of the tub. I bought this chair for up to 400 lbs, not that they weigh that much but I wanted something sturdy for them. My Dad commented that he thought it was perfect since they were sliding and pulling themselves on it. My Dad hasn't showered more then once a month for quite some time because he fell getting out. He loves this chair so much he now showers every other day!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great transfer chair!, June 21, 2013
This review is from: Invacare Transfer Bench (Health and Beauty)
This chair was purchased for my use by the lady I rent from, with the understanding that I shall pay her back...The side of the bathtub I use is too high to step in and out of easily, and the transfer bench was just what I needed.

It arrived today, and to my relief (after reading a couple of other reviews) all the screws and hardware were present and sealed in a plastic bag. Assembly was easy enough, but the instructions were no help.

That minor complaint aside, I am very pleased with this bench.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, June 23, 2011
This review is from: Invacare Transfer Bench (Health and Beauty)
This bench was purchased when my husband had hip replacement surgery. It is a durable product that served him well. I found the directions lacking, but I was able to assemble the product easily. Additional information can be obtained from the Invacare site.

My husband is 6'2' and about 220 lbs. He was able to use this bench and feel secure while transferring into the tub/shower. We did not use the back and found that this allowed him to lean back as required by his surgery. It didn't compromise the stability of the product.

I can recommend this product without reservation.

Invacare Transfer Bench