5.0 out of 5 stars Invasion: California
Heppner continues his assault on the United States with a relentless invasion of the US beginning in California. As typical, the action is fast and furious.

Published 21 months ago by azog

3.0 out of 5 stars author missing something
hasn't the author heard of rad hard military devices? good read but missing some very basic elements. i would rate 3.5 stars.
Published 10 months ago by timetobuy

5.0 out of 5 stars Invasion: California, November 28, 2012
azog (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Invasion: California (Invasion America Book 2) (Kindle Edition)

On the surface, one of my initial reactions was "more of the same", as many of the major characters from Alaska are present in very similar circumstances as in the previous volume. But that's not really fair, because the characters are really where they are supposed to be: Anna is an intelligence specialist sitting in cabinet meetings in Washington, and Paul is a commando sent on dangerous missions behind enemy lines. Where else would they be?

Some possible new players emerge on the scene, as a cold war buildup is apparent beyond the south-eastern states of the US. The Chinese "assistance" in Mexico (in reality, conquering) permits inroads into the south-west via Texas and California, where the majority of the action occurs, but also is an avenue for South American interests in the US. Overall, it's a messy situation, and I pity Sims, who is showing a few cracks showing during the course of the novel. Heppner does "pull a rabbit out of the hat" a couple of times, but they aren't magical solutions, as the foundation for those had already been laid out.

I do have one, possibly two issues, with the series so far. One being the absence of the UN. It is mentioned only in passing, and those brief appearances implies the UN has become ineffectual. Second, what of any possible allies of the US? This episode introduces belligerence by other countries, but does not mention the UK, AU, and the like. At this point, I would like to see some more fleshing out of the political universe, even at the expense of action.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Entertaining!!!, December 5, 2012
I read the "Invasion: Alaska" book first and I really enjoyed it. In my review of that I book, I wrote that I was disappointed that there was not going to be any more books along that line for I could not see how the story was going to continue. Boy, was I wrong!!! "Invasion: California" was a spin off continuing where the Alaska book left off just seven years later. I am a hard reader to please and often put down a book if I am not captivated by the first couple of pages. Heppner not only captivated me, I was obsessed with finishing this book often staying up way too late to read "just one more chapter!" I hate it when people give away the story so I won't do that here. I can say, however, that you will not be disappointed in this book. It is definetely a page turner!!

As a side note to Mr. Heppner, HURRY UP AND GET US THE NEXT BOOK!!! I am dying to see what happens next!! I appreciate your story context that does not conjur up unrealistic magical solutions to problems in the story but how you work out problems based on how previously laid plots take a turn that not even I predicted. I am a retired Army Infantry officer with combat experience and I appreciate a entertaining yet realistic approach to telling a story of combat. I think you should bring in some of America's allies in your next book as the America in your story clearly needs some. I have to say that as an American warrior, it grinds on me to read about America getting her butt handed to her in your story but at the same time I like the angle of America not being able to fight off any threat like we are some kind of nation of super hereos. Keep up the good work and GET US THE NEXT INSTALLMENT!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, December 7, 2012
I wrote a review of the previous book in the series(Invasion: Alaska) suggesting that with some better characterisation and dialogue the book could have been truly great.

Invasion California is truly great.

I've just finished it in two sittings, and could only put it down when it became apparent that I needed to sleep a few hours before the following day of work.

It's still a little rough around the edges at times, but importantly it didn't feature any of those jarring weird dialogue moments that plagued the first book.

If you like military Fiction then buy Invasion Alaska and then Invasion California. Both are great value too.

Can't wait for Invasion Texas, Invasion Florida etc, and to learn more of the role of the shady German Dominion!

Oh and I think the real US military should get to work on a Behemoth tank prototype, those M1's just aint gonna cut it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding example "combat sci fi", February 19, 2013
This book, and its prequel, Invasion Alaska, are well written, detailed examples of war.
Wont win any prizes for writing but above average, the plotting, characterizations,etc serving mainly to demonstrate what is a very likely scenario. And if you don't think so, consider that there are already Chinese in Mexico, they even run the Panama canal, and big news today is that the Chinese army is behind a lot of the hacking attacks ongoing in the USA.
Our military is bloated and overweight, but there is a balance between frugal and stupid.
This book shows what happens when we tip over to the stupid side.
A must read, very realistic

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Homerun, July 19, 2014
This is the second volume in the author's "Invasion America" series and it is even better than the first one. He doesn't hit you over the head with tons of political rantings, or technical details or multiple characters. What he does do is tell a great war story from the point of view of a few characters who the reader can identify with. I felt Kavanaugh's guilt over something that takes place in the beginning of the book and could see the grin on Romo's face as he "brought the fire" so to speak at the end of the book. I could feel the fear of those dealing with the Chinese Chairman and the overwhelming pressure to succeed that pushed Marshall Nung. That is what makes these books great. They tell the story of a war that literally grinds everything into a bloody pulp. They remind me of a mixture of World War I and World War II only with future weapons and set on the American continent. I also like how the author pays attention to the continuity in his books. If something changes about a character from one book then he explains why it changed and doesn't leave the reader hanging trying to figure out if they missed something or not. There is a character from the first book that doesn't make an appearance in the second and I was wondering what was the deal, but then he shows back up in the third book in a dramatic fashion and it is explained. The only thing that could have made this book even better is perhaps the inclusion of maps showing the various routes of advance into California. I have a huge wall map of the US so I was able to locate some places, but it doesn't have all the places on it. Overall this second book, like the first and the third one which I am currently almost done with, is totally worth buying and reading. Just beware, once you start reading, it will be hard to put down because you will want to know what will happen next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling Vision, December 22, 2012
A plausible scenario for the decline of the US. The new hegemon attempts to take advantage and a war for California begins. The action is intense and the foggy nature of war deftly portrayed. An excellent read. I will definitely watch for the next work in this series by Mr. Heppner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, but left hanging. I want more!!, December 30, 2012
CAH (Land of the Free, So Far, Home of the Brave) - See all my reviews
First, it was "Invasion Alaska". Then came "Invasion California". What was left hanging was that the Chinese were still in California, though somewhat neutered, and that the Chinese, along with the Germans in Cuba, and the Mexicans and the South American Coalition were banging on the doors of Florida, Louisiana and Texas. Vaughn Heppner must absolutely continue until America is once again free from these threats. Paul and Stan are the heros but Paul's head is still wanted, literally, by the leader of the Mexican Freedom Fighters. Will Romo stand by Paul? How's that going to come out? And what's going to happen to Stan's son? Will Stan and his son be reunited?

Give us more, PLEASE!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great adventure, December 19, 2012
I thought it was well done. Kept me wanting to keep reading. The ending was ok, but a little suspense on who was going to win would have been nice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sequel, December 18, 2012
Amazon Customer "AZ Guy RN" (Hereford, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
Enjoyed this sequel to Invasion Alaska. Considering some of the other reads in this genre, nice to read without alot of political commentary. The technology is well thought out and the characters were interesting. On par with with Tom Clancy in the 90's. Look forward to reading more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent military scifi, July 30, 2014
It's a while since I read book one, but now I remember what I like about Vaughn Heppner, the book is a nice mix of speculation on a possible future, reasonable predictions on the development of technology, enough character development to make you care about what happens to them, believable bad guys enough tension to make sure you want to pick the book up again.

Rate and Discover Movies