Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

on October 21, 2011
I own a lot of watches, about 15 at last count. Some are super cheap, others are really expensive, but most are mid-priced (e.g. in the hundreds of dollars). I bought this watch as I was specifically looking for a cheap-ish 200m automatic with an exhibition back. I've got 3 other titanium dive watches and have owned a couple of others in the past.

It's a decent watch, the case is very good, but it's not worth anywhere near what Invicta publishes as the retail price. It's a common strategy among watch makers to inflate the retail price, then offer the watches at a 'deep discount'. In reality, few if any watches are sold at the retail price... What follows is a more detailed review for watch connoisseurs.

First impressions

The packaging is typical Invicta. Invicta has built it's reputation on packaging and products that mimic what expensive brands do, which means fancy, high quality packaging, something which will impress non-collectors and be well received. This model is no different, with Invicta's typical yellow box with terry-cloth interior. The watch itself is also very well packed with a lot of clingy plastic protection (several layers) on the band and case.

It's quite large. My wrist is about 7.5 in diameter and the case covers it completely. Because of the lug shape, it doesn't sit that well, but it's acceptable. I had to remove 3 links to get it to fit on my wrist properly.

Watch case

The watch case is solid titanium with a screw-down exhibition back and a stainless steel rotating bezel. Front and rear crystals are mineral, the front one protrudes by about a millimeter and has a cyclops glued on over the date. The bezel inlay looks like painted aluminum and has a luminous pip at the zero position. The crown is stainless steel, screwdown, shrouded and has the Invicta logo cast on it. The case itself is engraved on the left side with the Invicta name and has a bead-blasted mate finish all around, with a good overall finish (no rough or casting marks) in typical titanium grey.

The only real issue here is the bezel. It doesn't really match up with the quality of the case itself and the directional click mechanism is both very stiff and cheap feeling/sounding. On top of it, the indentations are polished, so they are not sharp enough to grip. Turning the bezel is virtually impossible when the watch is on wrist, making it pretty useless. This, more than anything else, makes the watch feel cheap.

Face & movement

The face is polished black with round hour markers, dashes at 6 and 9, plus an arrow at 12. The markers are on the surface, polished with a green lume inlay. The lume is green both at rest and glowing. There is a date window at 3 trimmed with a white line. The hands are polished metal with lume on minutes and hour. The minute hand is mercedes style and the second hand has a small skeleton Invicta logo at the balance end. The date is only about 2mm from the watch face. Overall finish is extremely good, on par with a good Swiss or Japanese watch. All of the hands line up with the markers. The lume on the hands is at least twice as bright as the markers (almost Seiko bright on the hands).

Looking around back, the movement is a Japanese Seiko 21-jewel, 21,600bph, 41hr reserve, non-hacking automatic (no hand winding) with date (TMI NH25A based on Seiko 7s26) apparently custom made for Invicta. It has a nicely decorated balance wheel (and it's quiet) and a plain ebauch. The seconds hand is a sweeper, like all automatics and has an accuracy of +/- 30 seconds/day (typical for mechanical watches).

Bracelet

This is where this watch really falls down. Had Invicta spent a bit more on the bracelet, it would really be a remarkable bargain. There are so many things off about, it's hard to know where to start. I guess the first thing is that some of the links where it's hinged are a bit oversized. The net effect is that they bind on flex, which means you get kinks in the bracelet. At the same time, the pin holes in the bracelet are slightly oversized, so the whole thing giggles like a $20 1980's Timex. When I resized the bracelet, you could hear grit as the pins were push out, not the best sound in the world... Also, the end-links are stamped, and because of this, they are a slightly different color than the case.

The clasp is typically stamped titanium rather than a machined piece - it's appropriate for the street price, but would be unacceptable at the retail price. On the plus side, the links are all solid, rather than folded metal and they are stamped with the Invicta brand - although in some places, the stamp is badly done.

Conclusion

A very good watch at less than $130, not worth it at more than $200. The bracelet and the bezel just devalue it too much, which is a shame as the case, movement and face are built to a much, much higher standard. Overall, a good (if large) every day watch you don't need to worry about ruining it's future value.

If you are looking for something slightly better quality, I would suggest looking at Orient or Seiko's dive watches. If you want something more original, look at the fantastic new TX brand from Timex.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 21, 2013
Before anything else:
*If you want accuracy, buy quartz
*Titanium for better or worse is not steel

This is an automatic watch with a NH35A movement with 24 jewels, made by Seiko under the 4R36 name. It has 21600 vibrations/h and a reserve of at least 41h. The specifications admits a -25 s to +35 s deviation per day at 23C. The watch must resist a magnetic field of 4,800 A/m.
I've been wearing it for a week and so far it gains ~5s during the day (9 to 24h), the key to keep the precision resides in the way it lays during the night. The watch slows depending on how it rest. In my particular case, I noticed that when it lays over the 9 it slows 2s/night. Over the 3 doesn't slow anything. I still have to try over 6, over 12, face up, face down and worn.
Basically the key to keep the accuracy is to compensate the daily gain during the night, but so far I'm achieving +2s/d, which compared with the specifications is pretty good.
As you could see this watch, as every automatic, requires some special cares and if you don't feel like doing this maintenance you will probably end up leaving it in the bottom of a drawer.

The first thing that you will do is try to fit the watch to your wrist, the Invicta people have thought that the average customer would appreciate that the bracelet comes with all the links, instead an average size (ironic mode OFF). If you are not planning to buy the Invicta Watch Sizing Tool, you can always copy me and use a common pliers and a simple clip. In my case I had to remove 3 links and took over 10 min.

Regarding the water-tightness, and taking advantage that I work in a lab, I tested it up to 12 bar on a water chamber for half an hour and the watch doesn't complained at all. Just REMEMBER to never adjust the time when the watch is wet, and to screw down the crown to finger-tight.

About the external appearance, the watch looks exactly how it looks in the pictures. The two tones of the titanium look really good.
In my opinion the big bezel is almost cheesy but still ok. The Cyclops lens is about 2x and the date doesn't fill the frame, that's really too bad.
The transparent back case is delightful, the design of the counterweight is classy and the movement is hypnotic the first days.

The big bezel mentioned before shows a bit of resistance and makes a clinky noise (I wouldn't call that sound). It may be a con if you actually use it for something, but a pro for people like me that barely uses it as it stays on the right place. The bezel is besides incongruous with the materials. Having a titanium case and bracelet, why use a stainless steel bezel with aluminium numbers? If you thought about compatibility with other models and minimizing cost you are probably right!

Last but not least, why to buy the 0420 instead the 8926OB which is exactly the same model but made of steel and 30% cheaper?
The answer: TITANIUM
If you like to feel a heavy weight pulling down your wrist (like most of the users defend) this watch is not for you.
Weight is not a synonym of quality at all. This watch is light as a feather, and the thermal conductivity of titanium will make you (literally) forget that the watch is there.
Since it's a diver's watch you may probably want a material that doesn't corrodes as easily as iron, which is the main element in steel. Titanium include an oxide film that can't corrode or rust
Did you know that every time that you wet a steel watch with salty water you have to clean it deeply with tap water? Unfortunately I'm too lazy for that ;)
Titanium is also about 30 percent stronger than steel but weighs about half as much.
To prove that I'm not a titanium fanboy, I'll also highlight that titanium scratches more easily and visibly. (TIP:you can remove this scratches by using one of those rubber pen eraser)

In a nutshell:
Pros: Price, overall quality, good movement
Cons: Bezel, insufficient cyclops lens, bracelet adjustment
review image review image review image
on January 14, 2011
My watch loses about a minute every 3 weeks which isn't bad.
Bezel measures exactly 45mm. The crown stalk feel more substantial than the 8926 and is screw down. The titanium is great, feels light on the wrist.
Very easy to scratch though. As always, I am a very satisfied customer.
on October 30, 2011
This watch was great at first, but one week into wearing it the second hand FELL off! This was my second Invict automatic watch that has failed.
on June 10, 2011
Great watch for the price. The plusses are light weight and price. The negatives are that the band can scratch easily and the timing is not accurate i.e., loses about 10 seconds a day. So if you're into accuracy get a quartz watch. The style is great except that the diameter is a smidge too large for me. My wrist is small to average size. For the price you can't beat it.
Addendum, the crown doesn't function, so I sent it back to get it serviced under warranty. I had to pay for shipping around $35. Too bad they only have one service center in Florida.
I'll keep you informed about their service. It may take up to 2 months. Some of the people in their call center were apathetic and one was very helpful.

An update one month later. They sent it overseas and it'll take another 3 months for it to be done. Now I find that unacceptable. I'm living with a watch from Target for $17. I think they should reimburse me for that at least.

***two years later***, I've actually learned to like this watch, it scratches like hell but functions well, still loses 10 seconds a day but is consistent so I increased the star rating from one to three. If it wasn't for the warranty service I would have given this watch four stars.
Take care
on November 2, 2011
Got this watch in March. Immediately, I had to send it in for servicing as it didn't keep good time. After three full months I received it back and NOTHING had been fixed! Sent it back again to get fixed. Still haven't received it yet. Unbelievable! This is the FIRST and LAST Invicta watch I'll ever buy!
Don't waste your money!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 14, 2013
Be alert, there are two movements available for this watch. The 24 Jewel (Seiko NH35A) which is both hackable and hand windable, and the older 21 Jewel (Seiko NH25A), which is NOT hackable or hand windable.

The advertisement on Amazon specifies the 24 Jewel movement, but I received the older 21 Jewel. I contacted Amazon, and they shipped another one in the next day, but again, it was the older 21 Jewel!

The older movement is fine, its accurate, but its not as good as the newer one, which has better features. After the second attempt to try and get the correct movement, I decided to just keep the watch.

Amazons customer service was amazing in both instances, they even gave me a discount after they realized they advertised the wrong movement. So I can't really complain, minor issue, excellent watch.

As for the watch itself, it is excellent. It is quite a bit larger than the Invicta 8926OB, which it emulates in style, just larger. No cosmetic defects, and it runs just slightly slower per day, which tends to happen with larger sized automatics. Just as accurate as my Rolex Submariner. Its light, but not "cheap" light, it still feels like a substantial quality item on your wrist.

I always replace my watch bracelets with NATO straps on my sub watches, and I can also confirm that the wrist band size is correct at 22mm.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 1, 2011
I am updating my review.

This is my second Invicta. The first one ran like a top for 28 days and died. I returned it for full refund.

This one, ran absolutely beautifully ... for 10 weeks, then died. I purchased through Amazon, and cannot return beyond 30 days.

Total absolute junk! I'm moving up to a Hamilton. Yeah, a Hamilton is more expensive, but this experience has reminded me of the old adage "Buy cheap, buy twice." Although with this piece of #$%@, you have to keep buying, and buying, and buying ...
on October 16, 2012
I bought this watch sometime last year and posted a review, with pictures, on watchuseek. As much as I wanted to like the watch, it was just too lacking in quality, and I returned it. I purchased it at $83 and decided it wasn't worth the money; it is definitely not worth the $120 amazon is now selling it for.

Do not be fooled by the pictures; there are two major issues, as brought up by Chris M.:

1) The bezel is, without exaggeration, garbage. Even when compared to Invicta's bezels on their other prodivers, and that's saying something. It is made of thin, polished steel that clashes with the watch, and the numbered bezel insert is AWFUL aluminum! It is a scratch magnet and looks like a printed sticker you'd find on a watch out of a Chinese bazaar. It's really, really bad and I have no idea why Invicta couldn't put one of their better inserts in there (or, better yet, a machined bezel like the very good one found on the 9210 yachmaster homage). The bezel is a pain to turn and clicks over with all the precision of a UHF switch on an ancient television. If they had at least made the bezel out of titanium, it wouldn't be such a problem. I know they could have, considering the clasp is just simple stamped titanium

THIS IS A BIG DEAL! The bezel on a watch this large is one of the first things to draw attention. And trust me, its embarrassing. Had there been any option to fit an aftermarket bezel to this watch, I would absolutely have kept it.

2) The bracelet is garbage as well. So much so, in fact, that I really wouldnt be surprised if it was actually made of folded links with caps over them, or if they were simply hollow. Either way, the links are oddly shaped and very poorly machined, so that they actually prevent the bracelet from curving smoothly. As a result, they bind and get stuck on each other when they flex and you are stuck with jagged kinks in the bracelet.

Let me also say that I have owned automatic Invicta pro divers in the past and they are definitely a good value for your money (and probably the only watches they make that you could say such a thing about). I owned a 9210A for a long time, and that was probably the best invicta prodiver out there. It has a machined bezel (made from a block of steel, no tinny inserts), polished/brushed bracelet, and the finishing is really above par for the price range. If you dont mind wearing a blatant rolex homage, that is the best prodiver to get.

Invicta could have had a real winner with an automatic titanium diver in this price range. Titanium resists heat and abrasion, and most surface marks can easily be buffed away. As is typical for the company, they just gave up somewhere shy of the finish line and figured that the market would not educate itself and buy the product anyway.

If you need a light tool watch you plan on banging around in a workshop, this might work, although you would be better off with something digital anyway. I suppose a watch this light would do for diving as well, but it has literally no lume power, and if you want a light diver you should again go digital.

Long story short: titanium is more tricky to machine and manufacture than steel, and this watch is more or less of a fail for invicta. I rate this three stars because while cosmetically hideous, it is functionally acceptable as a light automatic titanium diver. If for some bizarre reason you need a purely mechanical light duty diving watch; perhaps because you are located in/near the clear and remote waters of the equatorial regions, where watch batteries are hard to come by and the complete absence of usable lume wont matter, and you have little cash to spend, then this might do. If you are searching for a quality titanium diver, go with a company that knows what they are doing, like Seiko or Citizen. And if you want a classy titanium auto, hold out for a more quality offering.

Seriously. This watch is a toy.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 21, 2012
I'm not sure which movement is being offered in Amazons current run on this particular watch but be advised all of you nay-sayers that significant improvements have been made to this particular timepiece. The old Miyota movement has been replaced by a much more desirable movement, the Seiko(TMI)NH35A. I just purchased a 0420 and it has the NH35A in it. I own 3 Invicta models with this particular movement and it is a HUGE improvement. Keeps perfect time 4+ sec a day(if that).As I said it keeps perfect time and I am gauging it against my ETA Valjoux 7750 powered timepieces as to accuracy. The high points in the new movement are 1. Hacking feature (you can pull the wind stem out to that last stop and it stops the second hand for synchronizing) 2. Universal winding,(the rotor winds in both directions) 3. Hand winding, (it can be wound by hand as well as the automatic wind). The weight of this watch is remarkable. I love the fact I can hardly tell I even have a watch on my wrist. The dull Titanium finish against the high polished center links are a very nice contrast and on the whole it is a very attractive watch. I hope this is a trend that moves across the entire line(for inexpensive automatics), because these features make for a watch with some great new features in my opinion. So far it has shown up in Grand Diver models as well as the Pro Diver line. As good as this new movement is, it could show up in a verity of their watches. It will probably be the go-to movement for many of Invictas less expensive automatic Dive watches currently in production.I have yet to read any negative reports on the NH35A to date. I would call Amazon and ask what movement is shipping in this watch before I purchase it. You wont be sorry, believe me. I would totally recommend this excellent new movement from Seiko.