5.0 out of 5 stars impressive looks, easy on the wallet
Published on March 16, 2007 by E. K. Arnold

3.0 out of 5 stars Invicta 8929
Published on October 25, 2011 by A. Gutierrez

5.0 out of 5 stars impressive looks, easy on the wallet, March 16, 2007
This review is from: Invicta Men's 8929 Pro Diver Collection Automatic Gold-Tone Watch (Watch)
got the Pro Diver G3 after considering various Seiko, Pulsar, and Citizen models, as well as other Invictas. When the G3 arrived, it met expectations. it looks classy, yet appears rugged enough to actually dive with it. most important feature: the hour markers and the hands are easily visible against the black background, and the sweep second hand smoothly traverses the face. the bracelet is nice, very masculine but not over-the-top. the scalloped bezel rotates as expected, and has a glow in the dark dot at the 60 minute position -- a nice "pro" touch. The 23k gold plating appears nicely finished, and the whole thing isn't as big or monstrous as i'd feared. it actually weighs less than my swiss army stainless steel chrono. the band was a bit big at first, but after adjusting the clasp, it fits fine on my wrist. the watch was running when i received it, so i didn't have to wind it from scratch, just adjusted the time and set the date, which is easy with the screw-down crown. so far it seems to be pretty accurate, but then i haven't taken it off since i got it two days ago. the biggest flaw is the date window-- it doesn't really add anything to the look, and doesn't really help magnify the date, it just makes the watch look like a Rolex knock-off. which it is, albeit a quality Rolex knock-off. That's fine, because at the price i paid, i can't complain. the signature invicta yellow box makes it look like a collectable, and contains warrenty card, and extended warranty info. it would be nice to have swiss movement and a sapphire crystal, but overall, i'm pretty happy with it, it doesn't look like a $100 timepiece at all. and, since it's an automatic, i never have to buy a battery for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great watch on its own merits, January 9, 2007
Certainly if you buy this Invicta, you like Rolex type styling. I do! But a Rolex is a pricey option. Regardless, the Invicta is a great watch on its own merits and it provides a very good value for the dollar. This is my second Invicta (I've got the Stainless, black face model too). Both have provided excellent service and keep reasonable time. It's fun to look at the movement once in awhile through the glass back, plus, you can tell if it floods (which hasn't occurred). Only a couple of minor negatives. One is that even though the watch band has been improved on this generation Invicta, the clasp is still on the thin side. It functions perfectly, but if it were thicker, it would improve the perceived quality. Also, I don't personally care for the flying wings on the short side of the second hand (they don't always show up in the pictures of the watch face so buyers beware). Otherwise, the Invicta is a great watch and I will buy from Invicta again. I can't vouch for the water proof characteristics at depth for the Invicta. When I dive, it's with a Casio G-Shock. However, I've swam with the Invicta many times and as long as the crown is properly screwed down, it's fine. Bottom line - buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Invicta 8929a, May 7, 2010
I've had this watch for a week now. Doesn't "wind down" when I take it off for the night. Keeps good time (gained only two minutes in a week). Easily adjusted band, with the proper tool. Looks fantastic. Luminosity barely makes it through the night, but I don't expect that unless there's tritium in there.

I like this one so much that I've ordered the 9937OB, which is the stainless version with the Swiss movement.

It's an attractive and functional watch. I've been a Seiko 5 guy for years, but I'll go with Invicta from now on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value for the price, October 29, 2008
This is my third Invicta watch, one was lost, the other while still functioning, has taken a great deal of abuse. I've worn it daily for nearly 5 years and it's survived everything thrown at it. The reason I purchased a new one is the older one is showing it's signs of wear and tear (scratches etc). It is an automatic wind, so if you take it off and let it sit for a while, it will sometimes stop running, this is frustrating for many people, but a non issue with me. Invicta makes an excellent timepiece for the money, they look good, have a very solid, "quality" feel to them, the finish, under normal use should last years.

3.0 out of 5 stars Invicta 8929, October 25, 2011
This is a basic decent watch. It is inexpensive and has good power reserve. It lasts for 48 hours without being wound. It looks nicer than what it looks on the pictures. So far it loses around a second a day, which is really good. But I am giving it three stars because when I received it the gold plating was rubbed off from the clasp a little bit. Also, when I pull out the crown to set the time the second's hand does not stop and when I turn the crown counterclockwise to try and set the watch the second's hand starts turning counterclockwise too.

It has resisted a couple of hits and scratches without damage. The gold plating is still intact other than what I stated about the clasp. Overall its a good watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars For the Active Man, February 4, 2010
I have owned this watch for 5 years and have taken it diving, camping, the gym, backpacking, in the lake, beach and to social events. I have adjusted the band to fit my wrist precisely and it has become a part of my arm. I get compliments from some of my more wealthy friends asking if it is 'real' and i say of course it is real. Of course they mean is it a Rolex. I will say that this watch needs to be worn to function or wound regularly, that the spring mechanism will not operate for more than a day and 1/2 without movement, so i just wear it almost all the time except at night. They say the Rolex Submariner can go 8 days on a wind but it is larger and cost a bit more. This one does not chafe my arm and the band holds under probably unusual strain. The bezel and face have not become scratched surprisingly, so that must be some hard glass. I did purchase a long term warranty (something i rarely do) and have sent it back to have the mechanism adjusted when it began running fast and they were able to adjust it so it keeps about perfect time. So i recommend this watch to the active man who wants to look stylish and still take this watch on various adventures without worrying about destroying it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Attractive and Well Made Watch, February 24, 2009
My wife and I ordered this watch (8929) and a matching woman's mini Pro Diver (Invicta Women's Pro Diver Collection Gold-Tone Watch #8943) as Valentines gifts for each other. The watch is very attractive and fit and finish are very good. The black dial and bezel contrast nicely against the polished and brushed gold finishes. This watch really stands out. The band is well constructed and has a thick appearance and weighty feel. I also appreciate the micro-adjustments on the clasp which allowed me get a very nice fit. Despite having a fairly thin wrist, the 40mm face on this watch looks great on me. The automatic movement on my watch is accurate within about 6 seconds per day so far - which I think is pretty good for an automatic of this level of watch. Plus, it will never need batteries!
I am very pleased with this purchase. My wife also loves her Pro Diver.

1.0 out of 5 stars Attractive, but a poor performer, March 27, 2011
True to it's design as a Rolex knock-off, this is an attractive watch. Mine was the blue dial with the blue bezel. Substantial, but not overly large/heavy. I wore it quite often for the 9 months I owned it, but it took the wear & tear quite well.

Unfortunately, the watch simply would not keep accurate time. Either it was running too fast (gaining something like 5 minutes a day) or it would stop no matter how regularly it was worn. It was frustrating enough when the automatic feature wouldn't keep it running when it was taken off over night. But when it wouldn't keep runnning even after I began wearing it 24 hours a day, I gave it away.

As others have said, beware Invictas with automatic movements. This is a very nice looking watch (disregardig the hokey magnifying window over the date), but I bought it to be a watch, not just a piece of jewelry.

3.0 out of 5 stars Invicta Pro Diver Automatic watch, December 1, 2008
This is to an excellent watch. As a matter of fact it likes to run so much, it's difficult to stop the second hand so that the watch can be set to WWV. If it wasn't for this fact, I would rate it as 5 stars. Maybe the watch is defective. Very difficult to set the watch for accurate time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst watch I ever had, December 31, 2010
This watch is a nice looking watch but very bulky. The automatic movement does not work well. This watch keeps poor time, losing about ten minutes a week if you can keep it running. The only way to keep it running is to wear it when you sleep at night. If you take this watch off and let it sit for eight hours it will stop. You have to reset this watch every single day. Also, the latch on the band is very poor and comes undone easily. I used this watch for about a month and threw it in the trash. It wasn't worth the postage to send it in for repair. All in all, the worst watch I have ever owned. No more Invicta automatics for me. The only reason I rated it a 1 star is because they didn't give me a choice of zero stars.

Rate and Discover Movies