Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Invicta Men's 8929OB Pro Diver Analog Display Japanese Automatic Gold Watch
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on October 4, 2014
An amazing value in a watch! It has survived the hot shower test for waterproofing - not too challenging. But it also is a hand winding, hacking mechanical watch that has, after 2 days, gained/lost ZERO seconds compared to an atomic clock! [Edit: After 4 full days, I can reveal it has lost 1 second...4 days & 1 second! That is incredible for ANY mechanical watch!] The balance is excellent and the lume better at night than I expected from Invicta. Compared to my Seiko divers watch, this is slightly smaller, vastly more accurate, can be wound by hand and hacks. The bezel does not have as nice a feel moving as the Seiko, but I'll trade that for not losing 20-40 seconds a day and being able to wind it by hand.

BTW - a screw down crown does NOT make it waterproof. The gaskets do that. A screw down crown only prevents the crown from being accidentally moved while under water. This watch has a screw down crown, but I'd be impressed regardless. The movement inside, made by Seiko, is amazing!
review image review image review image
55 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2014
I wrote a rather scathing 3 star review for this watch's more popular twin, the 8926OB. I must point out that I purchased my 8926OB ten years ago, and while I stand by my review of that watch, the newer Invicta Automatic watches have a much nicer movement, the Seiko NH35A. Unlike the older Miyota movements, the NH35A has a "hack" feature, meaning, the hands stop turning when you pull the stem to its complete outer position. This allows you to set the watch to an exact time, and makes it very easy to determine how fast or slow your watch is running.

About a month ago (Late April 2014) I got my 9094OB with the coined bezel, and also an Invicta 5053 Pro Diver with scalloped bezel. Both are good, inexpensive mechanical watches, and both keep very good time for a mechanical watch. On my wrist, each will lose about 6 seconds per day, but if I leave them on a watch winder all day they both run right about even, or perhaps gain about 2 seconds per day. For a low priced mechanical watch, this is VERY good out-of-the box repeatability. The watch will gain or lose time differently with the position it is in, so your watch may drift a bit in either direction depending on how you wear it. If you've only had quartz watches before, and are new to mechanical watches, REMEMBER, this watch is NOT powered by a battery, it is powered by a spring that is kept wound by either the movement of your wrist or by winding the stem. If you have several watches and like to wear a different one each day, I strongly suggest that you keep your mechanical watches wound and running at all times so that the fine lubricants in the movement do no settle and gum up your watch.

Every mechanical watch will need to be disassembled, cleaned, and lubricated every 3 to 5 years. This requires the services of a highly skilled watchmaker and those services are NOT cheap. You will find that this watch is so inexpensive that it will be cheaper to replace the entire watch, or perhaps just the movement, than it will be to pay a watchmaker to overhaul the movement.

The case, crown, bezel and bracelet are all made from stainless steel. The bracelet is fairly large; I have 7.5" wrists and I needed to remove three links for a secure fit. This is easy with the inexpensive tools available on Amazon, or, of course, your jeweler will do it for a small fee. My only criticism of the band is that the clasp appears to be more cheaply made than on my ten year old 8926OB. Still, it is secure enough and is fine for what you'll pay for this watch.

Many people complain that the bezels are difficult to turn. My coin-edged bezel on the 9094OB turns with minimum effort and is still quite secure. The scalloped bezel on the 5053 Pro Diver does not turn easily at all, especially if your fingers are the least bit wet or oily. The coin edge bezel in my opinion is superior in both looks and functionality.

My 9094OB sets and winds very smoothly. The screw down crown feels secure. CAVEAT EMPTOR - - the screw down crown may wear over time and no longer screw down. This happened after several years to my 8926OB and it cost $50 to replace the crown. This is an excellent argument for you to spend $55 or so on an inexpensive Diplomat watch winder to keep your watch running while it is not on your wrist. Yes, you can easily hand wind this watch, but you are exercising and applying wear to the screw down crown.

The purpose of a screw down crown of course is to add water tight integrity to the watch for diving purposes. The Invicta "Pro Diver" watches are usually rated to 300 meters, or 660 feet. Well, all I have to say about THAT is that this is a static test that does not reflect how the watch will perform as you are moving, and I am not at all sure that I would trust my life to an 80 dollar watch if I was going to do any serious diving. Please remember that the water tight integrity goes out the window the first time you unscrew the case-back also. It MAY work just fine for diving, but personally I would spend more money on a dive watch and pay to keep it well serviced with good seals.

This watch has a very coarse regulating arm, meaning that even a patient watchmaker with the right timing equipment will have a hard time regulating this watch to extreme accuracy. To that, I say "So what." No mechanical watch will ever keep time as well as quartz watch. It WILL keep time quite well enough for everyday use though. If you are at all handy, you can do what I did with my old 8926OB. I bought a watch case wrench, took the back off the watch, and being VERY careful NOT to let ANY dust, debris or crud into the watch, being VERY careful NOT to touch the balance wheel or hairspring, and being VERY patient, I used a wooden match stick to move the regulating arm around until the old watch was keeping time to within a few seconds a day. DO NOT TRY THIS UNLESS YOU ARE REASONABLY SKILLED WITH SMALL MECHANICAL PARTS AND EXTREMELY PATIENT. You can ruin your watch VERY easily if you are not careful. There are a number of excellent videos on YouTube that show how you can do this yourself, saving the cost of a watchmaker doing it for you.

One last caveat is that my old Invicta 8926OB several times literally fell off my wrist as the watch aged; the pins holding the bracelet together slipped out. This is annoying and can result in loss or damage. I reassembled the loose pins with Loctite. For this reason, I cannot recommend the Invictas with metal bracelets as heavy-duty outdoor watches. It may LOOK like a Rolex Submariner, but it is NOT constructed like one.

Having said all that negative stuff, I'd still buy another one of these in a heartbeat. It is a handsome, serviceable watch that keeps reasonably good time, and you'll never have to worry about your watch battery dying on you when you're out and about.
on May 24, 2015
Long story short: best timepiece I've ever had. An accurate watch that ressembles Rolex's iconic Submariner, this watch has been worn -by myself- on a quotidian basis since I got it, from the everday dings and scratches to spending a total of 12hrs + underwater, she's still going strong. Very solid & durable piece, highly recommended to anyone - especially watch fanatics.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on May 30, 2014
i bought this watch about two weeks ago. so far it has kept perfect time and it looks good. the biggest concern i have is the warranty. it claims on the web site to have a 5-year extended warranty. when i got the watch it said i have a one year, but can purchase an additional amount based on the suggested retail price.so my interpretation is it will cost you $45 for the 5-year. it will also cost $28 for them to return the watch as well as the purchaser being responsible for sending it in. basically, the warranty seems worthless to me.

the other problem i have with it is that the stem/crown feels less than durable. my previous dive watches have all had a substantial feel to the stem/crown when winding the watch. this feels more like my land only watches. perhaps technology has progressed, perhaps this is a weak point. i simply do not know.

those are the only points i took off for though i have a couple of other points. you almost certainly will need to remove a link or two from the band. it is easy to do and if you haven't done it before, there are a number of excellent videos showing how.

lastly, this has an exhibition back. i did not know what that was. i assumed room for engraving as a presentation or something. it isn't. it is a plastic "see into the mechanism" back. i did not want this and the specs said "stainless steel". when i looked into returning it, i found that the other watches i had been considering were also "exhibition back" so i kept it.

summary: good looking watch that is keeping good time, so far. watch band is easy to size if needed. i think that the stem may be a weak spot and i think that the 5-year warranty claim is misleading.
on December 9, 2014
This watch was returned by me immediately upon receipt - have not seen money returned to my account yet.

I also bought the Men's Limited Edition "Pro Diver" two-tone watch - although it is pretty watch ( copy of Rolex
SUBMARINER ) but does not keep time and pin repeatedly continues to come out of watch and watch completely
fell off my wrist aboard plane to Japan in business class - very lucky I not lose the pin or the locking mechanism
but it continues to not stay in watch.. only worn occasionally and not harsh treatment. Not worth $ 50 much less higher price.
Buy a Seiko or other Japanese watch and avoid the problems and loss of money!
review image review image
on July 21, 2014
10k for a rolex sub. I could buy a new envicta like this one every year for the rest of my life an not spend 10k.I wore this watch for 7 dayes an it keeps better time than some of my ETA 2824 swiss movements.Great looking watch, I call this the best watch i ever got for the money.Invicta keep making the 40mm pro diver with coin edge bezel. An use the hacking nh35a movement.
on March 27, 2015
Gorgeous watch. I changed the watch band to a leather one and it looks even more incredible. I also added a deployment clasp I bought from Amazon to make it easier to take on and off and prevent accidental dropping (highly recommend). Absolutely love this watch.
review image review image
on September 17, 2014
I have been a watch collector for some time now, this is one of the nicest watches I have for the price. After doing some research, I found way more good reviews than bad and thought I would give it a try. It is a very well made watch and has run flawlessly since I got it. I guess time (no pun intended) will tell. It was delivered fast and was extremely well packaged. Just may have to buy another one in the future.
on September 18, 2014
Consider this watch to be excellent value. The fold over clasp is not the quality of the 9937 but is acceptable.
The japanese movement does not sweep the second hand as smoothly as the swiss movement but it is still a beautiful automatic movement. The date magnification is excellent. A beautiful time piece. Hard not to be impressed for the money.
on May 14, 2014
After the price dropped a bit, couldn't resist this watch. It's everything I had hoped and more. It's very solidly built, and it's got an automatic mechanism that winds from the motion of your wrist but can also be hand wound (just like a Rolex). The uni-directional bezel feels solid. It's got some weight to it, but I find I don't even know I'm wearing it. I've been hard on it for a week and it's been totally scratch resistant. No, it's not going to be as "solid" as watches that are 3 (or 30) times the price, however I can't believe the workmanship on a watch that costs under $100.

Pictures don't do it justice. Looks great mostly as a dress watch, however I like it with anything with a collared shirt.

If you're looking for a dive watch, or just a nice mechanical watch to spruce up your collection, I highly recommend this product.