5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable Swiss Movement Quality Diver
So you might be wondering what's the difference between this model 9937 and the Invicta 8926. PLENTY! These two similarly styled Pro-diver watches look almost the same - so you might be asking yourself why spend an additional $200 for something that looks like its $100.00 fraternal twin??? Here's why you should own the 9937!

Automatic movements:

The...
Published on September 22, 2005 by Michael Horn

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Longevity of Movement
I bought this watch in June 2007. The one I got had the Sellita SW200 movement which was supposed to be as good as the ETA; wrong! Now, after just 2 1/2 years the movement has failed even with the gentlest treatment. What happened is that its self-winding mechanism has began to slip and fail to keep the mainspring wound overnight. This is poor! Automatic movements should...
Published on April 23, 2010 by Tech Weenie

5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable Swiss Movement Quality Diver, September 22, 2005

Automatic movements:

The 9937 has a Swiss ETA 2824-2 movement in it's stainless case. This Swiss movement is the baseline for automatic watch quality and reliability. This same base movement is used in Oceanaut, TAG, Breitling, Omega and a host of swiss watch names with prices into four figures!

The 8926 uses a Japanese Citizen Miyota 8215 movement. Absolutely nothing wrong with this mechanism. A great time keeper. Miyota movements power many great name automatic watches - but it is not Swiss and is significantly less costly to produce!

Crystal:

9937 utilizes a sapphire crystal for the watch face and display back. Sapphire is most scratch resistant - the most desirable watch face material - can only be imprinted by a diamond. The date magnifier (or as Rolex calls it the "cyclops") is much more prominent on the 9937. Not only is the magnifier larger in area and more prominent than its 8926 counterpart - the date magnification seems to be 1.5X larger on the 9937.

8926 finds a mineral glass watch face and display back. Mineral glass is not as scratch resistant as sapphire - but is more chip and shatter resistant. Mineral glass is significantly cheaper to produce for the manufacturer.

Stainless Steel Bracelet:

The 9937 uses a heavier - higher quality stainless bracelet than its 8926 counterpart. Both bracelets are attractive - double lock foldover clasp - the Swiss Diver bracelet is easily worth the extra money.

Swiss movement vs Asian made:

I'm not a watch snob. Invicta Pro-divers - whether Asian made 8926 or Swiss movement 9937 are lookalikes to the Rolex Submariner. Invicta built its' modern reputation on the 8926 - a good solid diver - the Swiss made 9937 was an answer to a demand for a higher quality timepiece from Invicta 8926 owners! I own both models and enjoy the look of both in different situations.

Both are very attractive - are easily affordable and reliable automatic dive watches that will last many years. The 8926 and 9937 are 660ft water resistant, both have screw down crowns - large attractive 316L surgical brushed stainless steel cases 43mm in diameter -unidirectional scalloped bezels - good LUME coming off the dial and hands, date at the 3 o'clock position - and both are quality built.

CONCLUSION:

The 8926 is (IMHO) the greatest watch value for around $100 dollars. It rivals SEIKO in style and quality and is the price leader when you're looking for a quality dive watch.

The 9937 offers a higher standard of material and construction - with quality components that reassure you every day you wear it. For many of us - a Swiss ETA 2824-2 movement, sapphire crystal diver for under $300 is magic to the pocketbook and the watch collectors soul.

When you feel the need for a Swiss automatic diver on your wrist - with great looks and quality all around -the Invicta 9937 deserves a special place in your watch collection.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Invicta 9937 vs. Rolex Submariner, September 21, 2006
I've owned a Rolex Submariner Date for nearly eight years, and I decided to buy my father a retirement watch that was as close as I could get to my Rolex without paying a fortune. I've been wearing the Invicta for nearly a month now (I had to break it in for him, you know) and these are my observations:

When I took the Invicta out of the box the first thing I noticed was the weight. The Invicta was slightly heavier and had more of a robust feel to it than the Rolex, the major difference here being the bracelet. The Invicta bracelet is much tighter and heavier duty than the Rolex and it's affixed to the case with screws instead of pins. The center links are brightly polished while the edge links are brushed, which gave it a very attractive 2-tone look (although I've noticed that the polished links show scratches MUCH better). The clasp is also no contest; the Rolex has a thin and rather flimsy stamped clasp, and I have had problems with my Rolex coming undone. The Invicta is much thicker and sturdier, and seems to close more firmly. I've heard one watch reviewer describe the Rolex bracelet as a `crime' on a watch this expensive, and I'm starting to agree. The only place that Rolex comes out ahead here is that it incorporates a folding bracelet extension for wearing over a wetsuit (a feature that I have never used). Oh, and to further widen the gap, the cost of a replacement Rolex bracelet would buy nearly THREE complete Invictas. To be frank here, if I thought it would fit I'd get an Invicta bracelet for my Rolex.

The bezels are also noticeably different, but only in style. The numbers around the Invicta bezel are significantly larger than Rolex and it has far more hash marks. Plus my Invicta is one of the newer models that did away with a Rolex style coin edge, which in my opinion was a step backwards. The Invicta bezel has a dozen shallow moon-shaped scallops around the edge, and getting a good grip on it can be difficult especially with wet hands. As I understand Invicta was sued by Rolex over the bezel design and had to change it, but you can still get coin edged examples for a slight premium.

Both watches come with a sapphire crystal with cyclops eye over the date window, and from what I can tell they're identical.

The faces on these two watches are also nearly identical, the chief difference being the logo and the second hand. The Invicta logo appears to be raised embossed on the face with polished silver, whereas the Rolex logo is simply printed. The Invicta second hand has an attractive wing design as the base finial, and the glow-in-the-dark disc is closer to the edge. Rolex is simply a plain round disc finial. Also, the glow-in-the-dark material is slightly more greenish-yellow on the Invicta, but both watches glow with equal intensity. The hour and second hands are virtually identical.

The cases on both watches appear to be of similar size, style and quality. The three major differences here (and all favor the Invicta) are A) The Invicta bracelet is affixed with heavy-duty looking screws, whereas the Rolex uses pins. B) The Invicta has its name deeply engraved on the side of the case opposite the crown. And C) the Invicta has a glass backing that allows you to see the movement. I've always thought this strange of Rolex that they choose to hide their movement. I've seen Rolex movements out of the case, and they are stunningly beautiful examples of craftsmanship. Why hide it? Plus, it would make counterfeiting the Rolex a lot more difficult.

The crowns on both watches are cosmetically similar, but the Rolex has a patented `triplok' triple-layer sealing system that rates it to a dive depth of 300 meters, where the Invicta has a simple single-layer seal and is rated to only 200 meters depth. The Rolex crown is fine if you're planning to dive on the Titanic, but for recreational diving or simply romping in the pool with your kids the Invicta crown will be all you'll need.

Now for the most important part; the movement. Because I've only owned the Invicta for a month I can give no testament to its robustness, but it's given me no trouble in the month I've had it. As for the Rolex movement, however, I will sing its praises from the mountaintop. My Rolex is 20 years old and I've had it for eight of those years, and in spite of all the abuse I've meted out to it (see my review on the Rolex for details) it's never been serviced or given me an ounce of trouble. Its kept time within 6 seconds per day, rain or shine, all the time I've owned it. The Invicta has kept time to with in 12 seconds per day over the past 30 days. Not as good, but not at all bad. Both movements are Swiss made, by the way.

Both watches tick at the same rate and with the same level of volume, which means you need to be in a quiet room with the watch pressed against your ear before you can hear anything. The sound of the ticking is noticeably different, but I'm not sure what that means. The Invicta has a sound that I would describe as a hollow `tock-tock', whereas the Rolex sounds more like a crisp `tink-tink'. Also, the Rolex second hand has a smoother motion than the Invicta, and I'll assume it's because the cog wheel operating the second hand is made to much tighter tolerances on the Rolex, thus giving it more even increments. Another difference is the date wheel. When the Rolex turns over the date (at 12:05am sharp) there is a crisp `click' that I can easily hear if I'm still awake. The Invicta is more like a `flap', kind of like the sound you hear when flipping thru a deck of cards.

Also there are the intangibles. I bought my Invicta thru the internet, and I know of no Invicta dealers local to me. That means any problems with my Invicta may require shipping it to God-knows-where and waiting several weeks. My Rolex dealer is in the next town, and any problems I may encounter can be fixed quickly and efficiently (although NOT cheaply).

Overall I must say I'm highly impressed with the Invicta, and at the same token I'm somewhat disappointed with my Rolex. From the outside the Invicta is every bit as nice, and even nicer, than my Rolex, and at about 1/15th the cost. There is no reason why the Rolex couldn't be as nice, and considering the price tag it SHOULD be as nice. It shouldn't even have been a contest. However, on the inside it's all Rolex. I cannot imagine how one can improve on the Rolex movement. The Invicta movement seems quite a competent device for the price, but the real test will be longevity. Perhaps I'll write a follow-up review in 5 years and tell you how it's doing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value!, October 19, 2005
If you are interested in automatic watches but don't want to spend thousands of dollars, then this watch may be for you.

The Rolex Submariner is the most recognized watch in the world, and in my opinion, the most beautiful. While I could'nt afford the original Sub, I did not want to buy a cheap copy: I was looking for quality. Well, the 9937 is about as close as you can get to the original at only 1/15th of the price. It has it all: solid stainless steel case, bracelet and clasp; swiss movement (gold plated); sapphire crystal; 120 clicks uni-directional rotating bezel; 'real' date magnifier (cyclops); 200m water resistance; exhibition (clear) case back; and extraordinary finish. I bought mine in 2003 and the accuracy is about -1 sec/day (well within COSC requirements). My favorite watch.

PROS: Fantastic Swiss quality at a ridiculous price.

CONS: None that I can think of.

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as can be expected?, January 6, 2008
Chris (Alameda, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Invicta 9937C Stainless Steel Coin Edge Pro Diver Black Dial Swiss Automatic (Watch)
I bought this as an experiment in mechanical watches, I have gradually been moving away from digital, through quartz analog then Seiko Kinetic self winding quartz and now my first purely mechanical watch.

I was used to wearing a Tag Heur 4000 series, so the Invicta doesn't feel especially heavy, it is only about the same weight as the Seiko. The clasp is as good as the Tag but again the Seiko is actually better in some ways. It's more surprising that the Seiko merits a mention than that the Tag is broadly comparable to the Invicta.

I'm actually slightly surprised at how well this thing works. After all that others have reported about these gaining 20-30 seconds a day, out of the box, I find that mine gains maybe a second or a two per day and that's all. I can deal with correcting the time once a week. But will it slow down with time? From what I read the Sellita SW200 movement is quite reliable and is being used in some high end watches.

I agree with the long time mechanical and Invicta fans, the pointers are not well enough illuminated at night. They are too narrow and the material used is not even as good as that used on my old Seiko Kinetic Relay. The sweep second hand is practically invisible in anything but good light.

Anyway, for a few hundred bucks this is an extremely good introduction to the world of automatic watches. If anything goes wrong I'll let you know.

[Edit: Eight months later]

My intention was to let this watch settle down, since others said that was necessary, and then have it regulated so it kept better time. Well, I'm not going to bother. I see that initially it was gaining maybe 30 seconds a week, and that was enough to make me reset it about that often. It has now settled down a bit and I just reset it for the first time in about a month and a half, it had gained 24 seconds. Under a second a day, without adjustment, is way better than I was expecting.

I generally don't think about this watch, once in a while people remark that it's a good looking watch and then I take it off and show them the back so they can see it is a mechanical watch. Other than that it just sits there working.

Excellent watch. More pleased today than the day I received it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invicta 9937 vs. Rolex Submariner, November 25, 2007
I've owned a Rolex Submariner Date for nearly nine years, and I decided to buy my father a retirement watch that was as close as I could get to my Rolex without paying a fortune. I've been wearing the Invicta for nearly a month now (I had to break it in for him, you know) and these are my observations:

Now for the most important part; the movement. Because I've only owned the Invicta for a month I can give no testament to its robustness, but it's given me no trouble in the month I've had it. As for the Rolex movement, however, I will sing its praises from the mountaintop. My Rolex is 20 years old and I've had it for nine of those years, and in spite of all the abuse I've meted out to it (see my review on the Rolex for details) it's never been serviced or given me an ounce of trouble. Its kept time within 6 seconds per day, rain or shine, all the time I've owned it. The Invicta has kept time to with in 12 seconds per day over the past 30 days. Not as good, but not at all bad. Both movements are Swiss made, by the way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Watch For The Price, February 26, 2007
John J. Faria (Harker Heights, Texas) - See all my reviews
If there were 3 1/2 stars that would probably be my rating.

I'm not going to compare this watch to a Rolex. I don't own a Rolex, and if I had 5 grand laying around I didn't know what to do with...I wouldn't spend it on a Rolex. (I'd spend it on a Browning Citori 12 Gauge over and under with a second set of 16 Gauge barrells).

I wanted a nice looking, Swiss Movement, diver watch I could wear every day. I'm in the Army, I'm a clutz, I have two kids, so I'm rough on watches.

Appearance: This is a great looking watch. I would have prefered all brushed stainless on the bracelet so scratches don't show as much, but the polished center links are beautiful. It took me awhile to get a comfortable fit, removing two links was too loose, three was too tight. I had to adjust the buckle, which is more about my odd sized wrist than the watch itself.

The case and bracelet are heavy. Much heavier than my other automatics. This is a noticable watch. The Invicta name is tastefully engraved on the side of the case, and on the clasp. The screw down crown has the Invicta crest embossed.

The dial is nice and simple. The Invicta emblem and name are embossed at the 12 O'clock position, "Automatic, Professional, 660ft-200m, Water Resistant" is printed just below the center, and "Swiss Movement" is printed at 6 O'clock. The second hand moves smoothly with no hesitation. The Invicta emblem on the second hand is a nice touch. The date is easy to read under the magnifier. The saphire back is a great, as is the tool work and stamped Invicta name on the counterweight. My only complaint is that there are some pretty prominent tool marks on the back of the case. No one but me will ever see them...but I expected better on a $300 watch.

Function: No automatic will keep time as well as a six dollar quartz watch. That's that nature of the beast. After wearing it 24/7 for a week, mine gains 12 seconds a day, which is within the Swiss standard (+/- 15 seconds). The date changes at exactly 1159, with a smooth click, and is centered perfectly.

The luminous hands and dial markings aren't the greatest. They're functional, but not particularly bright. The bezel is hard to turn, a coin edge would be better than the scallops, but I understand Rolex didn't see the humor in that and sued Invicta so they had to redesign. Not a show stopper for me, since I'm not a diver.

Overall: For three hundred dollars this is a good watch. Functional, good looking, and well made. It has a solid feel to it. The saphire crystal has proved resistant to the scratches that come with firing pistols and jumping on and off assorted pieces of heavy machinery. I'm pleased with the watch and would recomend it to anyone in the market for an automatic watch in this price range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invicta Men's Automatic 26-Jewel Swiss Diver 9937, August 20, 2007
G. R. Sweet (South Carolina) - See all my reviews
Outstanding watch!! I also have a Rolex and a Tissot. The swiss movement in this watch (SA200)26 jewels, so far has performed better than either of them. By the Atomic clock this watch is within 1-2 seconds over a three week period!! Remarkable for an automatic movement. Movement is self wind with hacking feature and rapid date adjustment.
Quality features are on par if not better than Rolex and Tissot, Sapphire crystal, 200M water resistence. Solid stainless steel braclet attaches with screws. Screw in crown, etc.. I notice that the price on this 9937 model is beginning to creep up, not surprising as a Rolex like this would set one back about $5,000 or more. Caution, don't confuse this Invicta model with lesser quality (feature) models that Invicta has in their line. Spend the extra bucks and get the 9937 model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, February 19, 2006
The Invicta 9937 is an outstanding timepiece and value. Though not identical it is very comparable to watches that are 5 times more expensive such as Tag Aquaracer, Rolex, etc. Very accurate, excellent movement, great looks if you are going for a "auto diver" style. Two types of bezels are available, and the original "coin edge" is said to be a little more valuable to the collectors. For guidance the [...] is a good site.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful introduction to automatic watches!, April 18, 2007
K. Ng (Bohemia, NY) - See all my reviews
I just received the Invicta 9937 diver's watch a week ago. For the money, this is a great buy! The watch is surprisingly solid and heavy, which gives it a feeling of quality. The fit and finish are very high, although not quite on par with more expensive watches. However, this is not a bad thing, as the cost reflects this. It would have been nice if the case was rounded a little more on the back edges so you don't feel the watch as much on your wrist. This watch sits heavy on the wrist, so I feel the edges. It does not hurt or is not annoying, though. The bezel lines up perfectly with the face. There are no loose components. Everything fits tight. The bezel is somewhat stiff and difficult to turn. It is difficult to get a good grip on the scalloped edge. Since I don't scuba dive, I don't use the rotating bezel much anyway. The 9937 comes in many different versions, so if you order on-line, you never know what you are going to get. Mine is the version with the scalloped bezel, second-hand has the Invicta wings on the end, and I believe the movement is the new Sellita SW200, not the ETA 2824-2. I've read they are identical in specs, but time will tell about the long-term reliability. The Sellita is supposed to have the gold-plated body with blue rotor, but mine is gold with an unfinished rotor.
The styling of this watch is interesting. It has an Omega-inspired bezel, a Rolex-inspired face/case/band, and has Invicta's own styling touches with the engraved "Invicta" on the side of the case and the second-hand has the Invicta wings. This watch is SOLID! The case and band are solid. It would seriously hurt if I threw this watch at someone! My watch out of the box is running +20 to +24 seconds per day. After a few weeks of break-in period, I'll see if it settles down. The movement is Swiss, but I believe the case is made in Japan or China. This is my first mechanical watch and it is a great introduction to higher end timepieces. I do like my Casio G-shock and Seiko quartz, but the Invicta is a good stepping stone to better Swiss watches.

I finally sold this watch. I've decided that +20 to +24 seconds a day is too much. I have since purchased watches that are near COSC standards. I find +8 seconds a day more acceptable, as I only need to reset the time every 1 to 2 weeks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Perfect, April 19, 2006
First of all Amazon managed to ship this item to me in two days using their free super saver shipping option. Second the watch actually shipped was not the Invicta 9937 shown above, but rather the much sort after Invicta 9937RI featuring the coin edge Rolex style bezel.

In a nut shell this baby is perfect in every detail, from the quality and feel of the watch to the accuracy of the ETA 2842-2 Swiss movement. The magnifier well positioned and actually works! The crystal used on the 9937 is synthetic sapphire and is one of the big perks of the watch, since in all reality it can only be scratched by a diamond.

In summary if you want a well made diving watch and can't afford the $4800 for the Rolex then have no hesitation in buying Invicta's 9937 model.

Rate and Discover Movies