4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT value! with some flaws
Published on August 25, 2008 by doughboy

1.0 out of 5 stars Died after a year, service department unresponsive.
I got this as a birthday present a year ago. It's a good looking watch, feels good on the wrist, and keeps good time. It gets five stars for that, loses three for the recent problems.

However, mine died last week. It's not a battery- an independent jeweler has verified that- so that means something more expensive.

It carries a warranty, but they...
Published on May 3, 2010 by Flaxmoore

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT value! with some flaws, August 25, 2008
This review is from: Invicta Men's 9310 Pro Diver Collection Swiss Quartz Watch (Watch)
Upon noticing this watch, I had a friend tell me how envious he was of me - "I guess you need to get your second kid out of the way before you get to buy your `Submariner.' I have been asking my wife if I could get one for years with no luck." Later that day I told him that I liked the Tag he was wearing. "Not as nice as yours" was his response (His Tag cost 12 - 15 times what MY "Submariner" cost).

I have only had this watch for several days, so my review is based upon that experience. I hope to update my review a couple of years in the future. I bought it because my ESQ of 9 years was with the repairperson being cleaned, is having some problems, and ESQ discontinued the model. I have owned Pulsar, Timex, Michel Herbelin, and an ESQ 200M diver and my review will compare my impressions against those timepieces, especially the ESQ.

PROs:
Appearance
Movement
Value

CONs:
Tight Bezel
Luminescence
Grinding screw-down crown

First, this is a STUNNING, beautiful watch! It looks better than the photos. Depending upon the light, the color changes from blue to purple to royal blue. The watch case has Invicta engraved on one side and looks elegant. The Invicta logo wings on the back of the second hand look classy.

The crown has a Swiss cross raised on it and is of the screw-down variety. It threads with a grinding, unnatural feel, and I fear it will mis-thread and fail over time.

The bezel is tight and rotates with great reluctance (an apparent Invicta trait). I use the bezel a lot and am disappointed I will be unable to use it much on this watch. The bezel on my ESQ is near perfect, and I am puzzled why Invicta cannot improve this aspect.

The luminescence is disappointing. When exposed to direct, unfiltered sunlight the lume is initially fine but fades within an hour. My ESQ puts it to shame.

The band (brushed silver links with polished gold links) is fine, looks GREAT, and does not pull my arm hair but does not feel as heavy or as high quality as my ESQ's band (I cannot image what the "folded link" bands on lesser Invictas are like). I have read in these reviews that the 23k gold plating comes off rather easily over time.

The movement is Swiss and seems fine. The second hand hits the watch's tick marks much more precisely than my ESQ.

Overall, I believe the watch is a great value. I chose it because I would have had to move to the $400 - $500 price point to find anything else close to what I liked and Amazon offered a free extended warranty. Although I would not have purchased this watch without the extended warranty, I may purchase other Invicta's without it depending upon my experience with this one.

UPDATE 11/12/11: Three years later and I have nothing but great things to say about this watch. Aside from some scuffs on the clasp and scratches toward the bottom of band from normal desk diving wear, the watch remains beautiful. Note that the scratches are on the center polished portion of the band but the gold plate remains fully intact; the brushed outer links look fine.

Since it was under warranty, I did recently return it Invicta for its 3-4 year cleaning. It was returned to me with a slightly looser bezel, so that was a pleasant surprise. However, the movement also no longer hits the tick marks exactly (similar to my Christopher Ward). The cleaning cost me $56 (initially I thought it was only going to be $28), and I was without it for 3 months. In hindsight, I probably should have simply taken it to my local jeweler ($45 and without it for 3-6 weeks) and will do so in the future.

1.0 out of 5 stars Died after a year, service department unresponsive., May 3, 2010

It carries a warranty, but they neglect to mention a small detail. Having anything done on the watch, including battery replacement, voids the warranty unless done by their service center. This would not be a problem, if they had more than 1 service center, and their minimum fee to change a battery weren't $33 and stated to take a minimum of 2-8 weeks. That doesn't include the price to ship it to Invicta.

Calls and emails to their warranty department have gone unanswered.

It's a nice watch, but hope you don't have any problems, because they won't be there to fix them.

Edited to add:

An independent watchmaker has verified it needs a new movement. Their price is $78. Invicta's would be $97 not including shipping there- $28 S&H plus 25% of the $275 MSRP. I paid less than that for the watch new.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invicta shames the likes of Rolex & TAG !, September 3, 2006
J. F Kopeck "jkopeck9" (Parkville, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
I think anybody that would spend $5000.00 plus for the likes of a Submariner should have a head transplant espically when great watches like this Invicta 9310 are available for about $100.00. I own a Prague in this same style and love it, but wanted something a little more well made. Steinhart has a fantastic blue on blue divers watch that sells for $450.00 (a real bargin) that many believe outclasses the famous "Rolex Submariner". Only problem is that I got impatient waiting for it to become available again (Steinhart is a first class operation)! Not knowing anything about Invicta except for liking the looks of their products, I did some research and liked what I saw and read enough to order the 9310 Swiss Quartz Dive watch. I really did want an automatic watch but after reading all the info about needing to take them to a jewler every 2 years to have them cleand and oiled I thought - who needs all that - excpecilly after checking into the cost of oiling running about 80 bucks a throw - no way! I just got a 5 year battery installed in another watch for a 20 spot and that sounds a lot better then the previous. The 9310 is a heavy well made time piece.If I didn't know better I would swear that it is worth hundreds more then I paid. The word "INVICTA" is engraved in the side of the watch and looks really cool. Don't expect to get the watch that is in this advertisement with the neat red wings on the face with "SWISS" written under it because Invicta has changed the style of the 9310...but thats OK because the wings that are on the rear of the minute hand that is constantly going around is done really well and adds a certain classy look. Im not much on worring about packaging but the new yellow wave box this watch comes in is pretty darn cool (a 12 dollar box if bought by itself)as is the included $8.00 polishing cloth! The company also includes the easiest to understand instruction booklet on the market today. Don't get sucked in by paying thousands for a name as no watch is worth all that as any honest jewler will tell you...save that money to put towards a new car and use your brain to rationalize getting a watch that in my opinion is just as functional as the high price boys and really nice to look at. I can't wait to get all dressed up with my wife and wear my new watch to go out...wearing this cool watch makes you feel like you got a few bucks rubbing togeather in your pocket. Oh yea...when you first open your watch check out how well this item is wrapped to avoid any scratches. The corded hanging tag on the watch is even classier then the one on a Rolex. You want a first class,cool looking time piece without breaking the bank then get this 9310 Dive watch with it's Beautiful Blue/Blue face and gold trim...you will not be disappointed! "Enjoy" Joe Kopeck - MD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Satisfied w/ my 9310A Quartz, February 12, 2008
D. R. Hibbs (Mount Pleasant, SC) - See all my reviews
I rec'd my new, Invicta 9310 "Swiss" Quartz watch yesterday from Amazon.com in one(1) business day as promised. And at no NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE.
Upon opening I was very impressed with both the look and quality. Band was easy to adjust by removing links.
I choose a quartz movement owning other autonmatics, incld a Rolex.
It has run for 14+ hrs since first set and remains right on-the-money in accuracy. Even the yellow box is impresseive..... ALL for $[...].
Why would ANYONE want to spend $[...] for a watch that doesn't keep as good of time, nor looks or feels any better?

Sincerely,
and Well Satisfied
D.R. Hibbs

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible experience, March 15, 2012
I bought this watch as a short term replacement while my Citizen was being repaired. This watch is horrible. The crown is not screw down, as advertised and it constantly pulls out. As a result I'm always loosing time and changing the date. I cannot rely on it to keep time because of the crown issue. Since I am a nurse and have to keep track of patient medication times, functionality is mandatory! Good grief. It is a watch after all. When I looked at having it fixed under warranty, the Invicta company wants $28.00 just for S&H to look at it. Yes - you get to send them $28 just to get the defective watch fixed under warranty!

Oh, and you may wonder why I simply did not return it? Once it has been worn, it is not returnable. Which is interesting as how is someone going to determine if the watch is defective unless it is worn?

Needless to say, this is my last ever Invicta purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice watch, July 27, 2008
I am definitely impressed. I have had the watch for a couple of weeks now and it keeps time perfectly and has withstood my constant abuse. I am really hard on a watch due to my avocations but this one doen't even have a single scratch up to this point. This is my second Invicta and I like this one even more than my previous more expensive version. It's simple and doesn't have a lot of useless functions that I don't need. I didn't realize it when I bought it that it is a Rolex look-a-like but after receiving several compliments I did a little research and found that it does in fact mirror a Submariner that costs several thousand dollars. The little bubble over the day of the month is a bit worrisome because it protrudes away from the face but I say this a great deal for the money!

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, an excellent watch, September 11, 2010
Not having about $10,000 USD to splurge on a Rolex "Submariner", I decided to, at least, have the look of one by purchasing an Invicta "Pro Diver".

I had previously owned the Invicta "Pro Diver" that used the Citizen Miyota calibre 8215 automatic movement, but was VERY disappointed by it. Aside from gaining about 1/2 minute per day when it was new, after three years of daily wear, the movement became so dirty that it just froze up and would not run. That watch wound up in the trash.

So, I replaced it with this Invicta "Pro Diver" that uses a SWISS Ronda 715 analog quartz movement. I've had the watch for about two months so far and can not notice any error in its timekeeping!

One annoying problem with it, however, was that the jumping second hand was landing BETWEEN the second marks instead of on them...VERY distracting and annoying. A watchmaker friend of mine was able to correct the problem for me, but I would STRONGLY urge Invicta to have whoever is assembling these watches for them do a better job of attaching their second hands. I want the second hand on any analog quartz watch I purchase to land EXACTLY on the second marks...not between them.

Anyway, if second hand alignment is not an issue for you, then I think you will really like this watch. It is VERY accurate and with its screw down crown is water resistant to a depth of 660 feet so there will be no problem if you dive, swim, or just shower while wearing it. I notice that in a crowd this watch tends to attract the admiring glances of people who will assume you spent a fortune on it.

2.0 out of 5 stars ProDiver Accuracy Challenged? Saga continues..., June 6, 2009
Having received my ProDiver 9310 from Amazon it was everything as expected. The watch is beautiful and the packaging superb. The second hand was hitting the tick marks exactly. I was all looking forward to wear the watch.

However, the watch was losing 6-8 seconds a day. I expected and require pinpoint accuracy from an Invicta. I have 2 other Invictas that are accurate to a second or two a week. These Invictas have the Japanese Quartz movement and the Invicta 9310 has the Swiss Quartz movement.

I struggled to keep the watch but decided to return with no issues to Amazon to their credit.

I am looking to purchase the Invicta 8935 which is very similar to the 9310 but has the Japanese Quartz movement. I am hoping this will maintain the accuarcy as I have seen on my other watches.

Update: I have now purchased the 8935 from ShopNBC. It was not available on Amazon.

The ProDiver 8935 is keeping accurate time with the Japanese Quartz movement. However it is not exactly precise in hitting all the tick marks as the 9310. The watch is somewhat smaller than the 9310.

The watch is very sharp and attractive. The blue dial looks quite different depending on the light source. It goes from dark almost black, purple to blue. The edges where the band meets the case is a little rough.

I would have preferred the ProDiver 9310 if my particular one had kept better time.

These Invictas are a good value for the money.

However, you should consider a Pulsar, Wenger or Swiss Legend via Amazon which are probably the best watches for the money in my opinion.

Update:

I recently gave my Pro Diver 8935 to my stepson when I decided to repurchase the Pro Diver 9310 from Amazon. I had thought the 8935 was a bit small to my liking and wanted to give the 9310 another "chance".

I received my new larger Swiss Movement Pro Diver9310 was disappointed that this time the watch was not hitting the tick marks precisely (hitting in between tick marks). The new 9310 does keep accurate time.

Another annoying aspect of the 9310 is in direct sunlight the dial appears distorted with reflections from the hands and the markers. This does not happen with the 8935.

I am not that satisfied with 9310 overall and would now only rate it 2 stars. The 8935 and 9310 are comparable except the 9310 is 40mm vs 38mm for 8935. If I could return the 9310 a second time...I would.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value for the price, January 28, 2008
Michael D. OByrne (Lake Lanier, GA USA) - See all my reviews
Having chased Rolex wanna-be watches for about 20 years, I have to say that the Invicta 9310 is the best I have found. The continuous sweep second hand clearly announces that this is not a battery driven movement. The weight and feel of the watch are impressivly stout. I haven't taken it below 30 feet, but the one-way bezel worked just fine in the dive time tracking mode.

Issues: My particular watch runs a bit fast, gaining at least 1 minute a day. The little magnifying bubble over the date is a glue on item and I am always afraid that I might strip it off if I catch an edge on something. That's it!

Having worn the watch for a year, I am satisfied. None of the plating has worn off like Casio's did. So for my money, this is the Rolex look-alike for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy the "automatic" model, instead, July 12, 2013
Lousy cheap feeling movement. This model has no screw down crown, and the crown does not stay in. The time might wonder, or at least mine did.

Rate and Discover Movies