Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Invincible Summer
Automotive Deals HPCC Learn more Discover it Amazon Fashion $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on June 29, 2000
First I'll state that I think kd lang is one of the most gifted song stylists of our time. Her live concert performances (which I have seen in Canada and the U.S.) are great musical events; charming, witty, electrically charged and lots of fun. Some of her earlier cds have been brilliant. However, I feel her musical choices in the last few years have lacked imagination and do not sufficiently stretch her as an artist or make us sit up and ACTIVELY listen. She seems to have lost her edge. It's becoming easy listening. Challenge me kd, as you have in the past! Her thrilling talent is much larger than her current material. I appreciate her mission to sing new music but until she finds better material I'd be thankful for a cd of standards from her...to be able to enjoy the full range of her voice and supreme artistry.
on June 23, 2000
I love kd lang's voice. I have three copies of all her albums: one at home, one at work, and one for the car, which are only CDs I have in my 6-cd changer. But I only bought one of Invincible Summer. Something said only buy one. Now I know why. It's disappointing. None of the songs showcase her truly talented singing voice. I think the best songs are the first and last: Consequences of Falling and Only Love. The songs in between are simplistic in lyrics and her voice doesn't cover the ranges of her previous CDs. I'd recommend Drag, Ingenue, All You Can Eat, Shadowland if you are a newcomer to kd lang. There you can hear the truly talented and remarkable voice she has in a variety of genres. I still love her voice, but this CD is not one I am putting in my CD changer.
on June 24, 2000
Targeting new audiences is a great goal. I'm not sure that the elevator rider audience will appreciate "Invincible Summer," however. Gone are the deep, emotional ballads in favor of lighter, sappy -- very sappy -- tunes. "Summerfling" sounds like a track that would run at the opening of a Doris Day-Rock Hudson movie. "It's Happening with You" is so free and groovy, you can almost picture Marcia and Greg Brady in the frontseat of the station wagon swaying from side-to-side, mouthing every word with bright smiles. It's as if Lang has inhaled a whole bong of happy for her latest release. To be sure, there are a few redeeming tracks like "The Consequences of Falling" and Lang's voice is on but this consumer was hoping for a little more of "Constant Craving," as I am sure were the executives at Warner Brothers. I fully expect to hear k.d. Lang's "Invincible Summer" playing on the speakers at the neighborhood Denny's within months.
on June 22, 2000
I have immense respect for the artistry of kd lang and wow, what a performer. She showed incredible diversity jumping from "Absolute Torch and Twang" to "Ingenue" early in her career and then things began to stall. "All You Can Eat" was half baked and "Drag" well....dragged. And here is "Invincible Summer" all pretty and shinny. Each song has the depth and staying power of a soap bubble. Her voice couldn't be better though and is the best pop music has to offer. It is just a shame she can't find more challenging material to use it with.
on August 17, 2000
kd lang has absolutely best voice in the business today.absolutely. i have no doubt about it! this album,however, has the absolute worst music today. i have tried listening to the CD over and over and over and soon all the songs sound the same, like waves lapping (not crashing)at the beach.it lacks the energy of summer or the depth and cleverness of other kd lang material. i highly recommend it if you have your stereo system set up by the hammock or listen to your music in an elevator.
on July 15, 2000
I'm glad kd has the "invincible summer" inside of her, because" depths of winter" is closer to what I felt after listening to this album... cold. I rushed out to buy this cd after reading a great review which had caused me to expect it to be the record of my summer. I'm a kd fan since the mid 80's and I am really disappointed. It is just so much mediocre musak with too many synth sounds, and vapid sweet lyrics. I have listened to it about 8 times in the last three days, hoping it would grow on me, but I cannot for the life of me remember a single melody or lyric. Compare this to the new Sinead I picked up on the same day, played the same # of times, and spent the last three days humming every waking hour. I'm sorry kd, it's back to listening to your old stuff for me.
on August 17, 2000
kd lang has absolutely best voice in the business today.absolutely. i have no doubt about it. this album has the absolute worst music today. i have tried listening to the CD over and over and over and soon all the songs sound the same, like waves lapping (not crashing)at the beach.it lacks the energy of summer or the depth and cleverness of other kd lang material. i highly recommend it if you have your stereo system set up by the hammock or listen to your music in an elevator.
on February 5, 2001
It's interesting listening to the different approaches to mixing stereo recordings into surround sound. At this stage of the game, each mix almost serves a different philosophy of how to deal with sound coming from multiple channels. k.d. lang's approach, while the music is mildly interesting, could have benefited from a dramatic, bold surround mix. Instead, it holds back and pulls punches. I love how the WEA releases are playable in three different surround modes, depending on your equipment. But here, the results are timid and conservative. Too bad. This is one example of how a bold surround mix could have literally added a new and interesting dimension to an otherwise borderline effort.
on June 27, 2000
she is one of the all time great vocalists, but what kind of ego keeps encouraging her to write her own songs? i know that she has moved away from the style of music in "shadowland", but what a great cd that was. even her previous cd,"drag", was full of terrific songs made better by her unique delivery. but now she has released another cd, somewhat like "you are what you eat", that really leaves you emotionally uninvolved and rather disappointed...i understand she will be touring with shelby lynne..now there is a singer who can write a great song!
on July 1, 2000
Most of the songs chosen for this CD do NOT do k.d.'s voice justice (except for the Consequences of Falling)! I ordered the cd from amazon. When my package arrived I ripped it open and slid it into my player waiting for the greatest voice to sing me into another world. Instead I sat this with disappointment drowning my ears. I was expecting to be swept away like I was with "Ingenue" or the under-rated "All You Can Eat". If only I could pick the songs and arrangements for her! Maybe next time I will be swept away, because I sure wasn't with "Invincible Summer"!