Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now DOTD

on July 6, 2007
As a previous commenter wrote, Evans has invented a new genre-- travelogue as thriller. He's been all over the world, and he writes about it with authority and compassion. This his best work to date. It's a savvy and nuanced page-turner about multi-national corporations and the zealots who oppose them. PW's review doesn't give it the credit it deserves. This is not a formulaic story about Danielle Leaf the action hero. It's about her awakening as a human being. The book examines issues of individual culpability and the American character, and it's smart enough not to point fingers. For good measure, it also gives a bird's eye view of the fascinating techie underground. I totally want to go to defcon now. I absolutely loved this book.
0Comment23 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 5, 2012
Found the book to have a few interesting plot twists, it was not what I expected. It did keep me reading to the end though once or twice I thought about not finishing.

For those who would be offended the characters randomly drop the "F" bomb in their conversations.
on April 27, 2012
Nope!! Didn't/ couldn't get into this book. Too weird. The heroine is taking a passport to someone she doesn't know .........in India. Who in their right mind does that in this day and age?. She is captured, locked in a concrete prison and lo and behold, who do they throw in with her? An x foreign legioneer. He kicks the roof off. Yeah right! Then they get away...caught again...get away....are always going out in public.....come on. I wont read more by this author.
22 comments49 of 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2007
Danielle Leaf, in India to study yoga at an ashram, agrees to deliver a passport to a woman in a remote village at the request of her old friend/boyfriend, Keiran Kell. What begins as an afternoon motorcycle ride thrusts Danielle into a maelstrom of intrigue, conspiracy, anti-corporate protest marches, high-tech espionage, and several life-threatening situations.

That Keiran is a genius computer hacker both complicates and alleviates the problems they fall victim to once the plot is set in motion. They find themselves involved in a mysterious war between a strange multinational corporation and a well-organized anti-globalization protest movement. And behind the obvious conspiracy is an even deadlier secret.

Jon Evans, winner of the 2005 Arthur Ellis Award for Best First Novel, has put together a book that is a page-turner from the very beginning. As the story races along through India, France, England and the United States, it is hard to get anything done-other than reading.

Danielle is an extremely likeable character and her cohorts and enemies are also interesting.

Not only is the book exciting and peopled with fascinating types, it also touches on some very real and thought provoking issues:

1. Can computer hackers really get into all kinds of "secure" systems?

2. Is there a possibility that drug companies run tests on human subjects in remote areas?

3. Are any of us safe from corporate/medical/ conspiracies if they are taking place?

These and more are crafted into this novel. The book would make a terrific movie, but even lacking that venue I heartily recommend it. I rarely read thrillers, but this one hooked me from start to finish.

NOTE: Jon's first novel, Dark Places (called Trail Of The Dead in the UK) won an Arthur Ellis Award. Booklist called his second book, The Blood Price, "fantastic," and Publishers Weekly praised it as "a highly readable, inventive thriller." His next, The Night of Knives, is slated for UK publication in December 2007 (US date to be announced).

Armchair Interviews says: Buy this book and get hooked on it yourself.
11 comment15 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 11, 2012
I have only read 45% of the book and really have no desire to finish it. It must be one of the most boring thillers I have ever read. The elements are there, lots of exciting moments - except they aren't actually exciting. I am not sure why but they fall flat. Maybe because you don't ever really empathise with the characters so you have no vested interest in what happens to them.
0Comment14 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2014
This started out to be a great story. Then, one by one, the incidences became more and more unbelievable. As far as the hacking goes, I think the author's grasp of it is more illusory than real. The capabilities of these hackers border on the surreal. It takes the credibility out of the story. All in all, a little bit much.
on November 26, 2014
A lot of thought was put into the techo part of this story. Unfortunately not enough into the dzy to day. Everytime California was mentioned the author had to say it was in the desert. He used to target practice in the desert while living in northern CA. While driving to Las Vegas the only town they passed through was Barstow. Really? What happened to Victorville? It is larger than Barstow. There are also many smaller towns like Baker. There was à lot of bad language and senseless beatings. Also two of the main characters get blown up but no explanation why they were sitting there. I just kept thinking ''this is à hackers wet dream''
on June 24, 2014
This was a action packed book, one of my top 5 ever. Really well written with intense strong characters. Not many books keep me riveted from start to the last page, but Jon has accomplished in words the same intense adventure that you felt when you first saw Die Hard, Speed or Raiders of the lost ark in film.
I have found a new favorite author and can't wait to read additional stories from this master of adventure.
on April 27, 2012
I was pleasantly surprised by this gem of a yarn. I opened it while I was ridding my Kindle of books I picked up simply because they were free. Evans grabbed me by the throat and didn't let go of me until the end. The characters were well drawn and interesting, but the strength of the suspense carried me away. I'll be looking at this writer's other books to hopefully find the same magic. I found four or five typos but paid no attention. I was a high school English teacher for a decade so that should tell you a lot about how captivating this book is.
on November 21, 2013
This was a pretty good book for the price. Although it lagged at times, overall, it really was a good tale. I was worried that there were some hidden agendas in the book concerning the plight of starving communities in India and big corporations exposure, but the author did an artful job of telling a good story without getting too passionate for a cause.