4.0 out of 5 stars You can remove the virtual dirve...easily
I haven't had it long, but so far it's a 5-star drive considering the cost per GB and the peace of mind from the drop protection. I also haven't had any problems with the connection yet, so we'll see how that holds up.

Published on April 20, 2011 by Chris W.

***UPDATE: iomega now has a utility you can download from their website for removing this partition. See the comments for a link. Unfortunately it only runs on Windows, but definitely better than nothing.

Published on November 14, 2010 by James D. Hardwick

1.0 out of 5 stars Could be a great little drive, but Iomega made a terrible design decision..., November 14, 2010
James D. Hardwick (Minneapolis, MN United States) - See all my reviews

This is a great little drive. 1TB, fast read/writes (for a 2.5" drive), and comes with a rubber protector to help soften the every day blows of setting it down on desks, etc. However, Iomega, in their glorious wisdom, made one terrible mistake that is bound to irritate the bejesus out of any more technical user of this drive. The drive ships with a secondary "virtual drive" which behaves identical to a CD-Rom, and which includes Iomega's Windows only encryption software. The first thing most slightly more technical users would do is wipe the drive and repartition it into one single, normal partition. Unfortunately, YOU CANT. Iomega designed it such that this virtual partition cannot be removed. As such, anytime you plug this drive in, two partitions always show up (one of which always as a CD-ROM). If your computer is setup to auto-play, then you get even more added annoyances.

Try as you might, you cannot get rid of this virtual partition. Do a bit of googling and you'll find several reviews complaining of this incredibly dumb design decision. I want to send it back purely because of this, but in the end I use it rarely enough that I'll probably just live with it. If I were purchasing again though, I'd certainly choose something else. As far as I'm concerned, strictly forbidding the end user from removing this incredibly annoying partition is an instant fail, and warrants nothing better than a 1-star rating.

1.0 out of 5 stars Died in 4 months, April 6, 2011
Ordered in early January...the drive died four months later. Call Iomega technical support for warranty- they told me $25 to talk. Don't buy Iomega.

1.0 out of 5 stars Problem with USB cablee, January 24, 2011
The cable that connects this hard drive to the computer is flimsy, to say the least. It's some proprietary hardware format. at first I had to make sure the hard drive does not move while I use it. now I can't see all the partitions on the hard drive. it keeps on connecting and disconnecting with the slightest movement. probably the drive itself is good, but the cable is a cheap cheap one with a pretty bad design.

1.0 out of 5 stars Annoying virtual CD partition included!, November 14, 2010
As with many product purchases, I rely on Amazon reviews to avoid products with annoying attributes or problems. In this case, unfortunately, no one had mentioned a major annoyance with this product: it comes with an unremovable virtual CD partition. What does this mean, you ask? Well, if you're using a Mac, it's just very annoying to have the virtual CD pop up in your Finder every time you connect the drive on your computer. On Windows, however, you receive an auto-run prompt EVERY TIME YOU CONNECT THE DRIVE asking to install Iomega's software.

Iomega, I have some friendly advice: if you want to include your software on the drive, allow end users to delete the software if they don't want or need it. Iomega doesn't even include a Mac version of the software, so why should Mac (or Linux) users have to live with this useless virtual CD partition for the life of the hard drive?!? (For more on this issue, see other reviews on sites such as SlashGear--which I wish I'd read *before* I purchased this drive.)

Given the wide range of hard drives on the market, it's unnecessary for us to put up with this type of customer-unfriendly business practice. Please consider purchasing products from companies who do not engage in such practices.

4.0 out of 5 stars You can remove the virtual dirve...easily, April 20, 2011

The one reservation I had was the virtual CD partition. There should be no reservations. If you open the program in the virtual CD, there is a setting(under virtual CD tab) to show, hide, or remove the partition. You click the button and update. If you want the encryption(which I do) you either show it for use on multiple PCs or hide it if you're on one PC and don't want it to show up. If you don't want encryption, you remove it. It's that simple. Maybe this is an update, because I can't understand why everyone else is finding it so difficult - I discovered this in 30 seconds.

Other than that, the drive has performed as fast as anything else on my USB 2.0 ports(unfortunately I don't have 3.0 on my dock yet) and looks nice enough to sit on my desk or bring out when I travel. I'll update if I have any problems.

EDIT: Dropped review to 4 stars. Still think it's a great drive, and for the majority of users the partition is easily removed. But as pointed out, Mac users can't easily remove the partition. I would have no problem with this if iOmega did not market the drive as compatible with both Mac and PC. I can't give five stars to a product that doesn't do everything it says it should and with the encryption software only working on Windows, this is not truly PC/Mac compatible. Mac users should maybe look at the Mac version of this drive which also includes firewire connection.

1.0 out of 5 stars If Your Drive is DOA, Like Mine, You Will Discover That Iomega Has Poor Support, January 4, 2011
I haven't bought an Iomega product since the heady days of the Zip drive, but this was given to me for Christmas. It came with bad firmware so no version of Windows was able to recognize it. Iomega does not pay for return shipping on their defective products. If you want to get it replaced faster, they charge $25 for a regular advance replacement or $50 for an expedited advance replacement. You are also only given about 30 seconds to respond before the online support bot/agent types "I think I've lost you, goodbye." And you will, oddly, be given the pseudonym of "Joel Diana" during the chat session.

If you get one of these drives and Windows says "Where do you want to look for a driver?" when the same PC will run other USB drives, your unit is DOA. Best of luck in that case!

1.0 out of 5 stars Data Loss, December 11, 2010
RGrantSmith (Wyndmoor, PA USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this unit due to the Hardware Encryption provision, having a need for storage of confidential data. The unit set up easily and functions as described. A large amount of data was stored but subsequently became corrupted and the data had to be reconstructed. It happened again!
The unit is unusable as primary data storage in the encrypted mode due to this problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of junk, May 3, 2011
I was really pleased with this drive initially. It's easy to use (minus that annoying virtual disc business), and it's small and portable. However, it only lasted about four months before croaking on me. If you haven't heard of the iOmega's "click of death" issues I would recommend Googling beforehand. Seriously, buyer beware. There was absolutely no reason for mine to die on me, and yet, here I am with a 1 TB external that's completely dead after less than a year of use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not "rugged" at all, and comes with unusually annoying preinstalled software., June 30, 2011
Most portable hard drives come with a bunch of junk preinstalled. I have come to accept this. I never want this software, and it's generally not compatible with my Mac anyway, but I simply reformat new drives to get rid of any irritating "tools" that might have been preinstalled before I use it, and this unwanted software is little more than a minor inconvenience. The software on this drive, however, is a different story. No matter what I do, I can't get rid of it. It seems to use some encryption software that is impervious to reformatting. It creates a Virtual CD when mounted, which clutters my desktop and drive list with an unwanted and completely useless CD image. I have enough trouble trying to understand why companies assume I want any software preinstalled on an external hard drive (seriously, even if I wanted to use whatever junk they've installed, why would I want to install it on an external drive rather than my internal one?), but why Iomega thinks I would want preinstalled software that I cannot remove if I don't want it is beyond me. Really, what benefit could there possibly be to actively preventing users from removing the preinstalled software?

My second complaint is the USB cable it comes with. It includes both USB 2.0 and 3.0 on one cable. Since these are separate connectors, this means that whichever one you're using, there is always a vestigial connector on the cable. For a portable drive, this is quite irritable. I don't want to carry around a cable that takes up nearly three times as much space as most cables the same length.

However, I could have overlooked both of these issues if only the drive hadn't stopped working after 6 months. If it failed right away, at least I could just replace it (and hopefully get my money back!), and if it failed after several years, well, hard drives don't last indefinitely, but 6 months gave me just enough time to have come to trust the drive enough to have accumulated many GB of data (mainly video) that weren't backed up anywhere (I back up my internal drive and certain key files on my external drives, but I simply can't afford the additional external drives I'd need to back up everything on over 3 TB total internal and external storage, so I do have a lot of files -- particularly iTunes video -- on my external drives which are not backed up at all), but not long enough to start to expect it to fail... and since I'd normally have upgraded to a bigger drive long the previous one failed anyway, this is not normally an issue. This drive, however, not only failed after 6 months, it did so entirely without warning (others I've had fail showed signs of trouble for some time before actually failing entirely, giving me plenty of time to copy all of my data before it was lost), but this drive failed so completely that I have so far not been able to recover any data whatsoever. It also shows evidence of damage resulting from being dropped. While it has probably been dropped an inch or two onto my desk (while wearing its protective rubber accessory), and may have been dropped as much as a foot or two while inside a well-padded case wrapped in clothing inside a suitcase (carry-on, not checked) in addition to it's "Power Grip Band," it certainly hasn't had a fall anywhere close to the 7 feet the product description claims it can withstand. It hasn't even fallen as far as the floor let alone off anything over my head (and since I'm only 5'5", there's no way I could drop it 7 feet if it didn't keep falling beyond my feet), nor has it fallen any farther, or probably even nearly as far, as the other portable hard drives I have (all Toshiba), which are all working perfectly after quite a bit longer than 6 months (I got the newest one about a year and a half ago, and I've had the oldest one for maybe 3-4 years).

5.0 out of 5 stars Corrected review, and now 5 stars, November 5, 2010
This is an edit following previous problems and resolutions of problems. The problems had nothing to do with the drive. And in the months I have used this drive: perfect. Five stars plus oak-leaf cluster. Requires only one USB port on a laptop, which is an improvement on the earlier models. I have been using Iomega drives for many years and they have never failed me, even with the sometimes rough handling they get. If I could make a tiny nit of an improvement it would be a more obvious indication of which side is up for the cable ends, since my old eyes now need that sort of extra help.

Rate and Discover Movies