4.0 out of 5 stars A little "short" of perfect
I decided to test this hard drive by using it as the primary hard drive for my PVR/media center PC. Allowing me to free up some space from my internal hard drive while also putting the iomega through its paces.
The pros and cons of my experience with the drive are below:

PRO:
1. Minimalist design and square housing make the drive easy to stack with...
Published on April 15, 2010 by Eliezer Kolatch

1.0 out of 5 stars Just hope you don't need support!
Published on December 3, 2010 by M. Anton

4.0 out of 5 stars A little "short" of perfect, April 15, 2010
The pros and cons of my experience with the drive are below:

PRO:
1. Minimalist design and square housing make the drive easy to stack with other components and won't negatively affect the aesthetic of your home theater or office.

2. The LED to indicate the device is on which is unusually bright, is situated toward the back of the drive making it less glaring in a dark room.

3. At 1 to 2 TB this drive is perfect for media use. Windows media center claims the 1TB drive, which I tested should hold 721.5 hours of standard def TV or 109.5 hours of HD TV. Or I assume, 50 hi-def movies (without extras).

4. When copying files to the drive, while recording TV, playback of TV stuttered initially, but then proceeded with smooth playback.

5. General playback was flawless, with no slowdown when playing HD content, and no indication that the transfer speed of the drive was not up to the task of acting as a media drive.

6. While not truly portable (you need to drag around a separate power cable and its much larger than most portable drives) this is small enough that you could take it with you on vacation, since it is about the size of a large paperback. Moreover while it is smaller than many other external hard drives I have used (for example it is half the size of a WD MyBook Essentials 500GB drive).

7. At around $100 the drive is a good deal, in between the prices for internal 1TB hard drives and external 1TB hard drives.

CON:
1. The only major problem I had was with the provided Power and USB cables. The USB cable was short about 3 feet but that's replaceable so the problem is relatively minor. The power cord, which would be much more difficult to replace is only about 4.5 feet and as such really limits drive placement. In my setup I did not have enough cord to place the drive where I initially intended and had to reshuffle components to get everything to fit which was a big pain.

2. As I mentioned above it is not a true portable drive and as such needs an external power cord which is annoying.

OTHER DESIGN NOTES:
Speeds when copying files to/from the drive where at an average of 19mb/s or 1.14GB/ min , much slower than USB 2.0 rated speed of 480 Mbit/s. I will note however that my other external hard drive, a USB 2.0 WD passport showed similar speeds, and my guess is that this is a result of the speed of the drive in my computer and the external drives. That said, iomega doesn't provide any precise information about the read/write speed of the drive.
Despite what another reviewer wrote the drive is not quite. A hushed but audible sound from the enclosure for the most part however this blended with the other background electronic noises and didn't detract from my listening or viewing experience.
If you want a truly quiet drive you'll have to go solid state.

The drive does tend to heat up, but only to a point that I would consider "warm" not to a heat that would worry me in terms of effecting the drive or other peripherals near the drive.

CONCLUSION:
The eGo preformed on par with the performance of most external hard drives I've used over the years. So what sets it apart is really the design.

If you're looking for something to take with you on a regular basis, I would consider a smaller drive, perhaps the eGo portable. Otherwise this is a solid option, especially considering its relative portability and size compared to some of the competition. Also portable 1TB hard drives without separate power cables are expensive, or experience frequent issues (just check amazon reviews). So I think this is a good option.

Which leaves the one caveat, if you are going to have to put the drive more than a couple of feet away from the outlet you won't be able to plug the drive in, and without power the drive is nothing but a rather expensive paperweight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent external drive, April 15, 2010
Amazon Customer (Huntsville, AL United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Unlike many external hard drives, this one has a feature that is a must -- an on/off power switch. Other externals I've tried, while reliable are a pain if you don't want them running all the time. Since they are generally used as backup drives, they wouldn't need to run all the time. Therefore you'd have to unplug the hard drive, either from the wall or on the back of the drive, which could be inconvenient if your workspace has limited room.

This one is also the quietest drives I've also used. Others would make clicking noises as data was being copied (not the click of death that signals a hard drive failure), but all noises with this one are very subtle.

Out of the box, the drive seems reliable, but that's something I won't know for sure until several months down the road. However, like with all external hard drives, don't store your data on them and have them as the only source as they can fail suddenly. Always backup to CD/DVD/BluRay media as a primary and this as a secondary, if it's being used as a backup drive only.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet storage giant, fast transfers, April 15, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Overall, this is a great product. My frequent overseas travels has made me very nervous about data storage and some required redundancy. Plus, all the travels is also keeping my digital cameras quite busy. eGo not only provides excellent storage, but operates with minimal noise, never has displayed a tendency to "overheat", and the file transfers are quite fast. To me, it is also very critical that my storage device can be taken on my travels without having to worry about power transformers. eGO fits that bill as well - it supports 100-240V input (you may still need a plug adapter, though).

Though the transfer speeds are good, it would have been great if the eGO supported the eSATA interface also. A very minor complaint is that I wish the base 'holder' that comes along with it covered more length than what it does now...perhaps they designed it to be able to hold vertically as well.

A prudent shopper should keep monitoring the prices - it sometimes drops by almost 30%.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just hope you don't need support!, December 3, 2010
This review is from: Iomega eGo 2 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive 34823 (Jet Black) (Personal Computers)
Drive died after just five weeks. Over 30 days so couldn't exchange with Amazon. Support options with Iomega are horrible. No phone support unless you want to pay $25. Must chat online to get an RMA. If you need to call back - chat again. No advance replacement guaranteed by a credit card, unless you want to pay another $25. Must ship the drive back and wait for a replacement. Still waiting....

Seems they don't make much on the drives, but want to make it up by charging extra fees during warranty. The drive manufacturers do much better on supporting you during warranty.

Regret buying this, but now I'm stuck! Don't make the same mistake I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does a great job, April 28, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Doing this review was a little difficult because the basic functionality of most external hard drives is the same, which is storing and backing up data from one or multiple computers. External hard drives have become a commodity, so you need to think about what makes this drive different and what factors make an external hard drive better or worse. The answer will typically depend on these factors:

1) how much data do you need to store on the external drive?
2) how often and in what quantities do you add or remove data?
3) do you need to access the data over a home or work network or will you connect the external hard drive to your home or laptop computer?

I own three external hard drives. Two are USB (including this model) and one is eSATA. If you are frequently transferring large quantities of data then you should buy an eSATA external hard drive because the data transfer speed is at least 5x faster than USB. For example, I can copy/paste 40,000 photos and 2,000 MP3s at a blistering rate with eSATA. I can still perform the same procedure with USB but it will take longer. If you are not in a big rush, then don't bother with eSATA... the USB will work fine.

PROS
- very easy to use
- quiet
- small

CONS
- none noted

COMPARING (to other related devices)
- Not as fast as eSATA, but this point is irrelevant if you don't need to have the faster transfer speeds.
- Not a NAS (Network Attached Storage) which simply means an external hard drive with expanded functionality. This feature is really cool if you want to
dump all of your media (songs, pictures) and hook the external hard drive up to a wireless router. NAS allows for file sharing and storage over a network.

Bottom line: this hard drive does a terrific job for what it is designed to do: storage and backup.

NOTE: an eSATA hard drive requires an eSATA connection on your computer. I had to buy an eSATA card for my home computer ($20 at local electronics store) so I could use my eSATA drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to install and very quiet external hard drive, April 15, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Well priced at under $130 (and even less when on sale), this 1 TB external hard drive is very quiet and easy to connect to a computer with the included USB2 cable. It comes out of the box ready for use with software for monitoring and backing up your files. It can be used on a PC running Windows or on a Mac. I had to reformat it to connect it to my Mac, but the instructions for doing that were clear, succinct, and easy to follow. (The instructions are available in 19 different languages.)

It's great to have such a large capacity hard drive. I split it to appear as two hard drives: one I'm using for the Mac's Time Machine backup; and the other hard drive I formatted as FAT32, so both a MAC and PC can recognize it and I can use it for data storage of all my multimedia files (music, video, and so on). This way I won't overcrowd my Mac's internal hard dive, and I can physically take my multimedia files to another computer.

When the drive is turned on it takes about ten seconds to appear on my computer, and there's almost no noise when it boots up. You wouldn't even know that it's running, if not for the little light on it that informs you it is. The hard drive inside is a serial ATA Barracuda made by Seagate. There's a 3-year warranty on it.

All in all, a great product that should provide plenty of storage for my files and help keep them safe from possible computer malfunctions.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed:(, February 2, 2011
I have always used iomega hard drives and I am very pleased, but this one didn't have the same results. I backed up about 1TB of data on it the day I got it and the next day it stopped working.:( It makes a terrible clicking noise, constantly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the ON and OFF SWITCH - Hard Drive is QUIET and FAST!, September 4, 2010
In August of 2010, I purchased 2 of these Iomega Hard Drives. Both are fast and quiet.
Before I bought this drive, I did a lot of research as I always do before a major purchase. Why did I choose this brand?
Five reasons:
1) On and Off Switch. I did not want this Hard Drive just as a backup, I wanted to place older files from an older computer on it as well as files I decided to place on it from my new computers. Having an On and Off Switch saves energy. Since I keep this drive plugged into one of my rear USB ports, the computer only shows the drive as active WHEN I turn on the ON BUTTON. This is just what I wanted!
2) Hard Drive is very quiet. And when I went to the Drive Properties in Windows Explorer, it stated this drive was made by SAMSUNG. How wonderful that is.
3)Since I have limited desk space for both computers, size was a major factor to me. This drive stands upright and has a small footprint. In fact, it is behind my monitor as I do not backup or copy files to it everyday.
4) Price and ease of use. I wanted to decide when I wanted to backup, not my external hard drive. After reading reviews of some other the other external hard drives, they have a software that almost makes you backup. I wanted an EXTRA LARGE EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE. So I use this drive as a second hard drive and also as a backup drive.
5) The last reason is the great reviews--I learned a lot reading the reviews and this made my decision to buy this external hard drive a very easy one.
**In closing, let me say that I am so pleased with the quality and ease of use of this hard drive, than I am planning on purchasing another one just like it in the 2 TB! Thanks Iomega for a wonderful product.

***UPDATE: December 3, 2012- After 2 years, both of my iOmega Hard Drives are still working perfectly. I think that the ON/OFF Switch is a big part of it. Also this is a high quality drive!

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, quiet, and works fine, May 12, 2010
I've had this external hard drive for several weeks with no problems. I was glad to read that it has a Seagate Barracuda drive. It's an attractive color of blue and silver and goes with my setup nicely.

It's pretty small for an external drive and is quite quiet with no noticeable noise eminating from it. I feel no heat at all from it. It appears on my iMac desktop in about 9 seconds and seems to work well with Time Machine. I didn't measure the speed, but it transfers files fast enough for me.

I had to reformat it for the Mac but that was little trouble following the instructions. I used Disk Utility which could make more than one partition, but I just made it one.

The activity light (which I like to observe) is visible on the rear side of the unit. It is not too bright, but might be in a darkened room. Black tape would fix that if necessary.

All in all, I'm very happy with the drive. I used to have a low opinion of Iomega from bad experiences a long time ago, but this unit has changed my mind.

Edit: This review is for the 1 TB drive, not 2 TB. Amazon snuck that in on the title and I can't seem to change it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Runs continuously?, October 13, 2010
I have a new Iomega EGO External usb 2.0 hard drive. I am surprised no one has pointed this out.The drive runs(spins) continuously when you shut the computer off. I called iomega and was told this was normal and you have to flip the switch on the back off, and if I dont it will shorten the life of the drive. I have kids and getting them to remember this will be difficult! I have had a Western Digital book drives and they just went to sleep when you turned off the computer. Is this really normal and am I the only one concerned with this? I love the drive other than than this, but it is a issue for me.. Thanks, Terry

One more thing, I keep the drive behind my computer cabinet and getting to it will suck.