on October 29, 2010
Size Name: 1 TB
Here's a crucial detail I couldn't find in other reviews before I went ahead and bought one:

Yes, my Mac (Mac Mini, vintage 2009, running Leopard OS 10.5.8) recognizes this drive as bootable, and I confirmed that I could actually boot from this drive, after cloning my original harddrive to this Iomega drive. I did not have to prepare the Iomega drive at all. I just used the free Carbon Copy Cloner software to copy my entire Mac's hard drive to the Iomega drive. No partitioning or formatting necessary.

However, there's a trick to booting from the Iomega drive: You have to keep holding down the Option key while your Mac starts up longer than you think you ought to. Keep holding it down even after you see your Mac's boot menu appear, which at first will only offer you your built-in original hard drive as the only option to boot from. Keep holding it down a few more seconds, until your Iomega drive pops up next to your original hard drive.

Why does this matter? In my case I wanted a total copy of my Mac before I attempted upgrading to Snow Leopard. To do that, in case Snow Leopard (or whatever experiment you're about to do on your Mac) hoses your Mac, you need to be able to boot up from your backup copy on your external hard drive, and then you can clone everything right back to your hard drive to restore everything the way it was.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Size Name: 1 TBVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This drive has a couple benefits over the rest of the field. Firstly it has fire-wire. That's a plus of you have a Mac or a PC with that interface because, at least from my measurements, data transfer is about 30% faster than using USB. Secondly it is well built. I ran an accidental durability test when I dropped it onto a hard surface while it was plugged in and spinning. It continued working without a hiccup.

The setup, as expected with any modern drive, was a breeze. I plugged it in and it worked.

Bottom line is if you want the additional speed of fire-wire (or don't have any choice) then this drive is perfect. Turns out that now I'm using it as a USB drive connected to my Pogoplug Multimedia Sharing Device and it's working flawlessly there as well.

BTW, I feel that honest, effective reviews can take the place of first-hand experiences that are lacking in online shopping. I've always appreciated the help I've received from other reviewers and work hard to return the favor as best as I can. I hope you found this review helpful and if there was anything you thought was lacking or unclear leave a comment and I'll do what I can to fix it.
on October 8, 2010
Size Name: 1 TBVerified Purchase
===================
" UPDATED REVIEW: "
===================

17.OCT.2011

I recently purchased and received another Iomega eGo drive via Amazon. This time I selected the 2TB model - 34796. The drive looks and feels physically identical to the 1TB drive I purchased last year, which by the way, is still toiling along quite strong. So on the strength of my first experience with Iomega in the HD arena, I bought this one...

First task: I plugged in, and the drive immediately displayed on my desktop using Snow Leopard OS. I bought the drive to help begin my transition to Lion. I transferred all the contents of a LaCie Poulton 1TB drive, via 400-800 firewire. It took 11 hours and 3 minutes for 999.36GB, 64MB shy of 1TB. I then transferred over 200GB from the Iomega 1TB eGo using 800-800 firewire in (Oops I forgot but it seemed quick enough) somewhere around 2 hours I think...

Everything I have done so far with these drives just seemed effortless, (I will leave it to others to do a drop test).

Surprising Observation: I mentioned in my first review about power adapter being the same conventional black, and how it would have been neat to see a grey one, then was shocked to see that this 2TB HD came with a white one. Hmmm Interesting... Still think the power cable should be on the bottom, below the FW800 ports (if standing vertical) and not next the power button.

I also mentioned before, the blue sliver of light located at the back of the drive. Well, I have stacked the drives one atop of the other, and indeed the light is obstructed from view. I still think this is design flaw...

Conclusion: If you want to take advantage of the price drops in firewire hard drives before the thunderbolt wave, this drive is a definite winner in my book. BTW I still have not used the USB. However, I did consider the Seagate drives too. my thoughts on their product is as follows. I like their design idea that allows you to change the connection technologies via adapters, USB to Firewire, to eSata, etc. etc, which leads me to believe that you should be able to use existing drives with the new USB 3.0 technology or even thunderbolt. This seems like a great benefit to consumers, except for the fact the adapters seem over priced for a drive you already own, and that the connector design seems iffy to me. I have a Free Agent 750 drive, and not really encouraged by the adapter technology on it...

Note: I wish other reviewer would disclose what computer and OS they are using, cause that could have an affect on ones experience, having as much to do with their setup than the drive itself...

==================
" PREVIOUS REVIEW: "
==================

07.OCT.2010

First, I'd like to start by saying I usually buy LaCie drives, and would have this time, if the one I was going to get, did not say it would ship in 1-4 months. So I looked again and found this Iomega drive.

Initial impression: It looks really nice and matches my MacBook Pro (4,1) with Snow Leopard aesthetically, also worked seamlessly out of the box. I have both the LaCe Porsche drives, and the Poulton drives too, in various storage capacities. Comparison physically, this drive is thinner in height, shallower in depth, and slightly wider. The connection cables are white, which I find a refreshing change. If they really wanted to be different they could have gone w/ grey for the power supply and cord over the standard black.

Function wise: I never use USB, but it's nice that its there incase. Used the FW400 to transfer 187 GB folder in 159 minutes. Then used FW800, transferred 53 GB folder in 36 min. So far everything looks and works great. It has a 3 year warranty and thats a plus, hope I don't have to use it. Oh, and its quiet. I hear the computer over this thing.

Only knock I have about the product is minor in my opinion and for others might be a plus. The light indicator, is a tiny vertical blue sliver, which is cool and all, but its located near the back end of the drive in the middle, as you can see in the images of the product. It flashes when in use which is great, but if I decide to buy another one and stack them, how will I know its On at a glance or flashing when its toiling, if I can't see it. A minor design flaw if you ask me, it should be at the front.

Also, when positioned vertically on the stand, the power cord is near the top at the rear. I thought that it was usually positioned near the bottom on devices to reduce tension on the cord. This too, is a design flaw in my opinion as well, but not worth deducting a star for.

Got it here online for a good price, and the shipping was timely. Since I just received it, I can't address longevity or reliability. Maybe a year or two from now I will update this review, or if or when an issue arises, I will be sure to let all of you know.

Ultimately I am satisfied so far (usually very picky) and fortunate I feel to have discovered this item.

Ciao...
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 7, 2011
*****
IMPORTANT:
If you ARE having problems with your Mac not mounting external devices, or recognizing them via System Profiler or Disc Utilities, then try an SMC reset. Just do a search on Apple's site and you will find instructions on how to do it and/or updated the firmware. (The reset procedures are different for iMacs and Macbooks/Macbook Pro's.) Once you've reset (or updated) your system management controller (SMC) then it may resolve any issues for you. Unfortunately, the Seagate and Iomega drives were just junk straight out of the box.

After you've reset the SMC, and start to reboot your Mac, I recommend you empty your system's memory (PRAM/NVRAM). As soon as your turn on your Mac, hold down CMD + OPTIONS + P + R and HOLD that; you hear the Mac chime but keep the keys pressed until the system restarts and do not release until the Mac chime sounds on the reboot. Doing this has resolved a lot of quirky behavioral issues that Macs tend to inherit over time.
*****

I realize that most people who read a 1-Star rating generally dismiss it, thinking that the person is off his rocker... and usually that is the case. Most people who issue low ratings, it's usually because they didn't know how to operate the device, didn't read the instructions clearly, didn't look online for help or call tech support, or they rated it low simply because of some unrelated issue (i.e. FedEx didn't deliver the item on time). I would never rate an item this low unless I feel it truly warrants it and I hope this review is helpful to some of you. (Please forgive any typos.)

I have an iMac (2009, Snow Leopard) and a Macbook Pro (2010, Leopard) and I've been using a WD My Book 1TB drive for my Time Machine; however, after 3 years of moderately good use, they drive is beginning to fail. It's reached a point that it often doesn't mount and I can't find the drive using Disc Utilities. Therefore, I started researching online to find a strong, solid external drive to replace the WD. The WD drive was a little outdated anyway, because it only has Firewire 400 and USB 2.0 (which is extremely slow). I wanted to upgrade to a drive that offers Fireware 800, to take full advantage of what my Macs both offer (up to 800mb/sec instead of maxing out at 400mb/sec).

I first turned to the Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Home 2TB - STAM2000100 (Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Home 2 TB STAM2000100), because of its claim to be both Mac and PC compatible and it claimed to be a solid drive for network storage and backups. The idea is great, similar to what Time Capsule offers; I would be able to use this drive via my wireless FiOS router to backup my Macs. Right for PCs - WRONG for Macs! Here is why:
(1) The drive, like MOST all drives that claim they are Mac and PC compatible, was not HFS+ formatted, and my Macs would not even see it in the Disc Utilities or System Profiler, much less mount it.
(2) I had to hardwire it to a PC running Windows XP (Win 7 could not initialize the disc). Once there, I could go into Administrative Tools to initialize the drive.
(3) Finally, once everything was set up, the Macs would ONLY mount the drive if it was hardwired via Firewire 400 or 800, but it would NOT communicate well with the Macs via the network as advertised. It truly was hit or miss, and very unreliable! (I should mention that I had to order a replacement BASE for this drive, one that offers Firewire 800 connections. The standard base that comes with the unit only supports USB 2.0. Also VERY noteworthy, the base has a standard USB female input, as does most every computer manufactured in the last 20 years; therefore, to hardwire this drive using USB, you WILL need an extremely hard-to-find cable that has MALE USB connectors at both ends (one for your computer and the other for the drive's base).
(4) Tech support for Seagate is like going to Wal-Mart to find anything American made....non-existent.

At any case, the Iomega eGo 2TB drive Mac Edition (Iomega eGo 2 TB USB 2.0 FireWire 800 Desktop External Hard Drive Mac Edition - 34796) was not what I expected. Out of the box, it would not mount to either Mac; I tried to connect it via USB and Firewire800. I checked my System Profiler to ensure there were no issues and didn't see anything! I have 2 other drives that use USB 2.0 and Firewire 800, both of those drive mount just fine (using the same cables), so I was able to deduce that the problem was not my cables or either of my Macs. I plugged the device into my PC, only to discover that the same case was true for the Iomega drive as it was for the Seagate one.

I searched Iomega's site for help and tried to contact tech support for guidance but BEWARE, they charge a whopping $25 PER INCIDENT to ALL non-commercial consumers, regardless of whether the device is new and in still in warranty. I was; however, able to chat online with someone who claimed to be from tech support. I should point out, though without trying to be disrespectful, that English was not this person's first, second or third language. The conversation ended when "Michael" told me that he could replace the device at MY expense. He said that there would be a "convenience fee of ONLY $29.99 plus additional shipping." I asked why I have to pay that and his answer was posted IMMEDIATELY (there was NO time for him to have typed all this), almost as though he was ready for me to ask and he had copied and pasted it into the chat window, "Since the price of shipment has been increasing, and in an effort to keep the price our devices low in this competitive market, we are no longer able to provide free shipping both ways for our products. If shipping was included in the price of the device then price of the drive would be increased. We do still use an Advanced shipping method through UPS to send the device to you. We always use the UPS ground shipping, which is 3-5 days unless you want the express for the Next Day."

I have since returned this device to Amazon. Thank you, Amazon, for allowing speedy returns! I then purchased the "LaCie Hard Disk Quadra 2 TB eSATA/FireWire800/FireWire400/USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive 301882U" (LaCie Hard Disk Quadra 2 TB eSATA/FireWire800/FireWire400/USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive 301882U). It comes with ALL the cables you will ever need to connect it and after only a few issues with reformatting the drive to HFS+, it works like a CHARM! I've been able to set it up for Time Machine and was able to back up over 320GB (using Fireware 800) in just a couple hours.

The LaCie drive (LaCie Hard Disk Quadra 2 TB eSATA/FireWire800/FireWire400/USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive 301882U) has worked well, right out the box, and looks great cosmetically! I also love the blue LED light that displays when the drive is powered on. You can visually tell when the drive is being accessed because the light blinks softly and best of all, the drive is SUPER quiet! I highly recommend the LaCie drive! Having worked with Macs and PC's equally for over 20 years, I recommend NOT buying the Iomega drive and instead buying the LaCie mentioned above. Lastly, if you do need help, or want to find additional downloads for your drive, LaCie's site is much easier to navigate.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 28, 2010
Size Name: 2 TBVerified Purchase
In my experience, Iomega drives are reliable and this one is no exception. For working with Adobe Lightroom2 I use this 2-TB external model with an iMac and a FireWire800 connection for external storage of all my original photo files. I have had it for about two months and so far it has worked exactly as it should. My single minor complaint is that the push-button power switch is quite hard to reach in its location at the very bottom rear of the drive's housing.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 22, 2010
Size Name: 2 TBVerified Purchase
I bought this to run backups and Time Macine for my new iMac with a 1TB SATA drive. The 200GB drive I had been using with my old Mac Mini just wasn't going to cut it. This drive is nice and fast, comes with great connectivity options (FireWire 800, USB 2.0, and FireWire 400->800 cables), is formatted for Mac out of the box (not that Disk Utility is hard to use), and is quiet. It's even the same color as the aluminum on my new iMac and keyboard. Very pleased with this drive.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Size Name: 1 TBVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Iomega eGo 1TB external hard drive (configured for the Mac) is a beauty. It's sleek design is attractive for a desk top, and if you'd rather not put it there, it can fit in most any small nearby nook. The unit comes with a removable stand and cords for either firewire or USB connections. I opted to use the firewire. I'm using this as a 2nd external drive. My primary backup drive is an Iomega 500GB unit that handles all of my needs in that area.

I use this 1TB external drive to store mainly video and other media files that I use for work, I'm gearing up to start producing podcasts for classes I teach. As you may know, video files eat up drive space like nothing else, so the big brain (1TB) in this unit is fantastic! Plus, file transfer via the firewire connection is quick, quick, quick. Combine those features and you've got a winner.

The drive is also quiet. Once in a while you can hear a faint hum as it spins up, but other than that, it's a silent partner. And, since I usually have some background music playing in my office even that spinning up goes unnoticed.

Set-up is a breeze. All you have to do is pull the unit out of the box, attach the power cord, power it up, attach the firewire cable, and, in my case, my iMac did the rest.

As the product mentions, this drive comes pre-formatted for Apples, but don't despair if you use a PC. This drive is easily formatted for PC support. if you use a PC, just follow the installation instructions and reformat the drive. Once that's done, you'll be all set.

I'm completely satisfied. 5 stars!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 17, 2011
Size Name: 1 TBVerified Purchase
I had this drive for less than 4 months on a new intel based Macbook Pro. The drive is no longer recognized and I cannot repair the disk either.

Used the Chat support option because it is the ONLY free support under warranty. They were rude, not helpful, and I had to contact them two more times to get them to follow-through with an email that included the phone number.

Once I talked with the phone support they said the drive was bad and I was "unlucky" and that to recover the data they would charge a fee and then ship out a new drive and I would have to pay to return the defective drive.

Talked with supervisor and they waived the shipping but did not offer to recover the data. For a drive that is less than 4 months old which has sat on my desk since purchase this is unreasonable warranty service as well as a poor quality product. I have never written a negative review before but the service was atrocious and others should be warned. Needless to say, I will NEVER purchase a product from iomega again and I encourage others to avoid them as well.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 18, 2010
Size Name: 2 TBVerified Purchase
Easy plug and play. Works with Apple Time Machine flawlessly. With a multitude of ports and included cables it is ready for any connection possibility.
on June 15, 2011
Size Name: 2 TBVerified Purchase
I usually don't make negative reviews, but thought I would share my experience with this Iomega drive. I received the drive and followed all the directions for setup. No issues there. When I turned on the drive, the Light on the front came on, but there was no noise from the unit and it wasn't mounting to my MacBook Pro. I re-set everything again, but had no luck. So... on to Tech support with Iomega. I choose the "Chat with a Tech" option and after explaining what was going on, the Tech said it is a KNOWN issue that the power cable doesn't have enough juice to power up the HDD. OK... if this is a known issue by Iomega, why would you continue to sell the unit with a bad cable ????? Have they never heard of a recall? I waited a couple of days for the new cable to arrive and plugged it in but still not enough power to drive the unit. I then promptly returned the product to Amazon who graciously took it back and returned my money.

I am giving this product 1 star because I don't think it is right for Iomega to continue to sell a product that they know is defective from the start. I am happy to hear that some of you are not having any issues with your drive. I just wish it was me. Thanks for listening.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations