4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of features, great value
I'm in IT and have bought 6 of these so far. 2 for me and 4 for the company.

For the business, the iSCSI targets are great for backups and virtualization.

Published on December 7, 2012 by SB

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price
Published on December 25, 2012 by J. Tompkins

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of features, great value, December 7, 2012
I'm in IT and have bought 6 of these so far. 2 for me and 4 for the company.

For the business, the iSCSI targets are great for backups and virtualization.

For home the SMB and FTP functionality is very useful. I put my movies on it and the built-in media server will stream right to my PS3! It will do your torrent downloads for you but I haven't taken advantage of that yet.

I replaced a home built file server with one of three units and so far I've not regretted it. It even recognizes my UPS through the USB port so it can do a graceful shut down during power failure.

The only reason I don't give it 5 starts is the performance isn't fantastic at times, and the web interface could use improvement. I don't like how much effort is involved with turning off unnecessary features and clearing unnecessary shares that it comes with.

Update 11/5/2013:
I have 2 of these units at home, and have purchased a total of about 6 for the company. On one of my units at home, I had a 2TB hard drive go bad. No big deal, but over the past few months I've seen at least another 4 hard drives go bad. Some of them have tested fine with other tools but others are bad for good. Seems like the ix2 doesn't treat CHEAP hard drives very well.

I have a few ix4 units that seem to be easier on the drives. The ix4 is larger and appears to have better cooling. The ix2 NEEDS to be in a well ventilated area.

The features are great, but you certainly get what you pay for. Make sure you have backups!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, December 25, 2012
J. Tompkins (Alexandria, VA United States) - See all my reviews
A few days ago, I was attracted to the dark side of my basement by a weird sound. Walking in, I noticed my old ix2 had a red light on it. I had been having issues with the management software, but I knew it was a failed drive on a unit out of warranty, so replacing the drive would be almost 200 bucks. My old unit took two RMAs to get a working unit, so I was nervous about buying a new Iomega, especially since parent company EMC is selling the unit to Lenovo. On the other hand, the price is amazing for a unit that also will support scsi-3 pr.

The new unit was up and running in no time. The old management interfaces are gone, now managed through an integrated web server. There are many great features like a media server that will consolidate other ones on your network. In addition, there is integration for Mozy, Amazon AWS, and EMC Atmos. All in all, it's a solid little box, and after the issues getting the old one to initially work it's been rock solid for 5 years.

Migrating data was easy, I used Microsoft Synctoy on my windows workstation. Unlike the old ix2, this new one is 100% timecapsule compatible, so I easily set up my wife's laptop to backup to the new ix2.

I have not really used the cloud stuff, but I could not get the iphone App to detect the device. This appears to be a common complaint.

Really, I only use it to backup my media and allow my wife access to it. For this, the device is 100% fine. They have appeared to have fixed quality control issues in earlier units, and it's easier to manage and use than previous models. With my experience so far, I will even start to recommend them again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little home server/storage unit, February 25, 2013
G (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
We tested our Iomega IX2 for last couple weeks, this little storage server NAS is really great but there is a lot of potential for furtehr software updates specially teh Apps area that can be downlaoded and insatlled as a service on the NAS. As of today there are only few services that work with this protocolar unit, for example there is no MySQL version for IX2 but there is for some other models, you need to be careful when purchasing which model would best suite your needs. On a very positive note, Iomega IX2 is very fast and reliable, we purchased it for a purpose of placing home videos on a DLNA server and using it to access movies of our kids and family. Up until today those movies ware just sitting in the online storage and we didn't have a easy way to access them and watch them. In combination with most Smart TVs and/or Network Media Player that is connected to your TV all content on the Iomega becomes rather accessible. Overall this NAS is solidly built and its quite robust for such a small footprint. Its virtually silent and small so it can sit in a family room on the shelf without being noticeable. The fact that content is redundantly mirrored to both hardrives would put your mind to ease as your content is safer then depending only on one hardrive. However I still recommend that you backup perhaps on the Cloud as a secondary backup place specially if you will be storing irreplaceable family movies and photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Hard Drives, February 21, 2013
I bought this knowing my model didn't include hard drives. I purchased separate hard drives to save money. The setup process was easy and I didn't have many issues. The only issue I experienced was that we were unable to set up an iSCSI Drive with restricted access and view the LUNs from within a Citrix XenServer. The only way we found to set up that iSCSI drive was to remove the access restrictions.

Otherwise, it's been up without any issues or data corruption for a couple weeks now. If you're looking for a NAS with a simple user interface and a ton of features, this is a great option.

2.0 out of 5 stars NAS only - no external streaming, cloud & net printing broken, January 5, 2013
Geek Girl (NH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Iomega StorCenter ix2 2TB Network Storage Drive (35547) (Personal Computers)
After much frobbing, the NAS portion of this seems to be working okay. This is not a plug and play device.

- Mac / Time Machine: unless you work hard to set things up manually, time machine will by default use all
available space on a volume before it starts deleting old backups. There is no way to partition the nas to
restrict a share to a set amount of space. I had to manually create a mac sparsebundle of a max size in
order to keep time machine backups to a reasonable amount of space.

- twonky media server: this is utter garbage. It barely works on the internal nas. It does not work
at all from the internet: external IP's are remapped to internal lan IP's (which of course are not
visible externally)

- plugging in a printer to the usb port: my macs can see the printer, but get nothing but an assortment
of errors trying to print to it. After many hours of debugging, gave up on this one.

- personal cloud: you can get to documents, but that's it. I've never been able to get to mp3 or mp4
files. m4a files appear to be completely unsupported.

- mounting as an afp fs on my macs works ok

- mounting as NFS on my mac does not work. Spent quite a while trying to bug this (so far,
unsuccessfully)

- iomega support has been completely unresponsive- they have answered none of my queries.

In short, is provides network storage, and nothing else. The other features advertised do not
work.

I wold not recommend this box to anyone who is not comfortable hacking on a linux box
to fix whatever goes wrong... That said, it is much cheaper than competing 2-bay NAS
solutions offered by netgear and friends. If you need a plug-and-play solution, you need
to pay more and get something that has actually been debugged, and is supported by the
vendor.

My primary need is for NAS storage: I will keep it, as it is the cheapest solution I have found
for that. I give it two stars, because the advertised features simply do not work, and the
advertised support is non-existant. Two stars feels a bit generous, given that it doesn't do
what it claims to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice for backup of Mac and PC computers, April 8, 2013
I bought one of these devices and populated it with two WD Green 1TB drives I already had around and selected the RAID 0 format for a total of 2TB of storage with no redundancy.

My goal for this device was to provide a Time-Capsule type of network storage and this accomplishes it very well. It's probably faster too. Enable Apple file sharing on this device and then create a user id with the disk quota you desire (so time machine can't fill up the whole NAS) and then create a share. On your Mac computer you connect to that share via afp://nas ip address/sharename with the newly-created user credentials and then select it in Time Machine as the replacement disk. After that you don't need to be specifically connected to the share for Time Machine to work since Time Machine apparently remembers how to connect to it as-needed.

For Windows, simply connect to the share like any other network drive, whatever your purpose. You can create individual users, each with a maximum quota of storage.

This NAS's UI and OS are pretty professional and there are a lot more features than I'll use right now.

I wasn't impressed by the speed of iSCSI on this device, but it works just fine.

Overall, throughput on file access is decent but varies widely. Reading is faster than writing, and writing takes a hit if you have multiple clients writing to the device at the same time even if they are writing to different shares. Reading large files is the fastest operation while writing many small files is the slowest. Normally, figure ~60MByte/sec reads and ~30MByte/sec writes through gigabit ethernet. Jumbo frame ethernet helps a little. Good NAS performance for the price but it's not going to compete with an eSATA or even Firewire 800 drive directly attached to your computer. Time Machine probably won't write this fast because there are so many small files in a backup but I saw an overall rate of 40+GB/hr when running an initial backup to this NAS device.

Its power saving feature to spin down drives when inactive might save you about 175 KWh/year and extend the lifespan of the drives if the NAS is used infrequently, but needs to remain powered-on constantly.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Device with Useful Software, But Support Lacking, May 28, 2014
G. Strader (Indianapolis, IN United States) - See all my reviews
I've had this device for a little over a year. One of my main reasons for purchasing it was the availability of a 3-year warranty from Lenovo (2 years plus an extra year for registering it).

The device was easy to set up and add to the network. A particularly convenient feature in the software allows for copying folders and files from other file servers (the Copy function), which fits particularly well for my environment. This allows me to back up other file servers with immediate access to the backed up files since they are not in a proprietary format as with some backup software.

The device ran very well for almost 13 months, then stopped communicating with the network. It would not shut off using the power button, so removing power was the only option. When powered back up it initially indicated that one of the drives was not found (the unit has two 1TB drives in a mirrored configuration). The remaining drive was accessible. I powered the unit down, this time via the management software, then restarted it. This time it indicated that both drives were present, but that the mirror needed to be rebuilt. That process ran for about 10 hours, then the unit went offline again.

I contacted Lenovo support which had me do an "isolation" process of removing drives, rebooting, swapping positions of the drives, etc. I kept careful notes and got different results with each combination. So, I started over and did the process again. This time the results were different than the first time. I supplied my results to the support technician, who then indicated that L2 wanted me to "image" the drives and try again. Since the unit still has almost 2 years of warranty left, I asked for replacement of the unit, but they want to continue with the imaging approach. I'm not willing to do that. After two days of struggling with this unit, it isn't worth it to keep experimenting when I have to keep a business running.

I'm very disappointed with the Lenovo warranty support, so my advice is to give the warranty little credence when evaluating the unit. When it works, it does exactly what I need, but I expect better support. I have not had the same experience with Lenovo PCs, so maybe this is just a function of this part of the Lenovo empire.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little first NAS... with issues, March 19, 2013
I got this NAS as I wanted something to put my medias safely. Also got it on sale for $78 somewhere else so I thought great!
For the price you get a Marvell 1.6GHz CPU which supports 2*3TB, yeah!

So I played with it and compared it with the DNS-325 that I also have. I was a bit disappointed of the StorCenter ix2-dl as I thought it would have been an upgrade from the DNS-325. It wasn't.

The specs are great but don't really show in reality, even with the latest firmware. After a week of playing with it and contacted support as my transfer speed wasn't really good and steady, I returned it for a full refund.

PROS:
1.6GHz CPU
2*3TB support
Firmware has a bunch of features, I liked the iSCSI target
Certified ESX and CITRIX for iSCSI
Setting up backup with rsync is easy

CONS:
Runs hot (I was hitting 91C during file transfer on the CPU, 61C idle, 68 for the motherboard all with lead opened)
Speed varies too much (from 2MB/s to 60MB/s even on files > 10GB)
Hard drive compatible list is limited
Support don't know much about the product
Cannot configure the unit with no drives
RAID 1 kicks in automatically when 2 drives are inserted
No JBOD support
Cache is off by default
Drives get warm to the touch quickly

All in all it could be your first NAS box as it has a lot of features and is easy to set up however if you want speed you might want to look somewhere else. Although I may have got a bad unit, hence the 3 stars and not 1, I didn't risk to give it another shot as I already have spent more time than necessary.

UPDATE 06-16-2013
-----------------

Well, recently it was on sale for $55 shipped... so I decided to give it another shot. I upgraded the firmware to the latest and it seems like things got a bit better.

I can now write on a RAID 1 setup up to 44MB/s and read up to 84MB/s which is way better for what I got in the first unit (which was more like 34R/34W).

I checked the temperatures though and I still reach 93C for the CPU and around 68C for the motherboard. Drives get up to 45C inside.

Because I decided to keep this one due to its much better read/write performance, I started to tweak the fan. I added a 3 pins splitter which gets rid of the WPM functionality and was able to fit another fan inside but on top of the HDD. Also, I put a little chipset heatsink on the CPU to help out (which drop the temp by 10C). Both run full speed now and I don't mind as it is still fairly quiet.

My temps after mod:

idle: 60C for the CPU and 48C for the motherboard
load: 74C for the CPU and 54C for the motherboard

This is with the front cover closed! Also the drives seem to stay cold to the touch.

Drawback:
As the PWM doesn't control the fan, I get 'Internal Fan' is not functioning and a blinking red light however I don't mind as I prefer to keep my system cool.

All in all I am adding another star to this unit (switch from 3 to 4) and hope future firmware will allow you to control fan speed and acknowledge errors to clear the blinking light.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Setup, Quite and so far so good, October 28, 2013
Im a little uneasy about "black boxes" but this one seems easy to manage, quite and has the capacity stated in the product information. I like Iomega and have another NAS drive already in the network. Its been a reliable brand with good customer service.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, October 15, 2013
Lots of features - love the Personal Cloud and storage size (4TB 2x2), running RAID 1. Have not learned to use all of the features - that seems like a full-time job! But so far....so good!

Iomega StorCenter ix2 2TB Network Storage Drive (35547)
Used & New from: $578.59