Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ion iSC08 Document Scanner
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

on November 18, 2012
I bought this when I realized that between tax, work, and home I had piles of papers that were completely disorganized and taking up space. I took me one evening to scan all the documents from the past six years. The quality turned out very well, even for longer than standard pieces of paper. My property tax statements would be too long to fit on a normal flatbed scanner, this scanner handled them perfectly. The preview screen is small but gives a reasonable view of what was scanned to see if it came out okay.

I haven't used this scanner for anything but text documents. I have no idea if it works well with pictures.
on March 10, 2012
I just recieved my scanner and am very pleased with it. I spent about 4 hours total scanning in over 1,000 4x6 photos. It took less 30 seconds per photo and it did not scratch any of my photos even without the special photo holder that came with it to scan them.

I have not yet scanned any documents, as I bought this primarily to scan photos. I like how small and compact it is and I could sit anywhere to scan a stack of photos. Excellent buy and would recommend it to a friend.

I will add if you photo is being scanned vertically or is smalled than 4x6, it scans with an odd line down the side (which I assume could be prevented if you use the photo scanner holder thingy!), but I just cropped out the extra in my photo editing program.
on January 9, 2013
Before buying this, I read some of the reviews. Some were good & some were so-so then a few negative ones..

This scanner is definitely one of my better purchases as far as being satisfied with the item!!
I have owned this only a couple weeks, but I have used it to scan over 1200 pictures from 3 1/2 x5" all the way to 8x10. I am very pleased with this scanner. I am making a digital copy of all my pictures for our fire/water safe.
It has already earned its worth. I use the plastic cover for some but most I don't. Some of my pictures are too glossy so with those I did use the clear cover/protector. Some of my pics had some dust on them so I was careful to use the fiber cleaning sheet to clean the rollers/screen. I didn't have many issues with lines. Every 150-200 pics I just run the cleaning sheet through. Then it's perfect again. I never sync it I just scan to the card & upload pics from the card straight to my laptop. Works great! Also scanned many documents, worked like a charm for those also!
If you are needing perfection or professional storage, the pictures are only as good as the person scanning them! If you are needing them for museum quality, pay for them to be done by a professional & don't blame a machine for your dissatisfaction.
on September 23, 2013
What I like about this scanner is:
> The low price with included SD card. I didn't have to buy anything extra to work the scanner. Big plus for me.
> The onboard LCD screen - a 'must have' feature. Lets me view the scan instantly for quality.
> No computer needed to scan. Scan on the fly.

I use it to scan monthly rent checks, rental & personal documents, ID's, etc.. The scans come out sharp and clear with the right contrasts. I have been using a 'wand' scanner for about 2 years, I would always have to clear a space on the desk to lay out the document and have enough room move the scanner down the page. I had no way of knowing if the scan was good and the desk surface would show along the edges of the scanned document. Also It scanned each doument a little dark. With the Docuscan, I have none of these issues.

The scanner can be powered from the computer using the USB cable. So if you carry your laptop along with the scanner, you won't need the AC adapter. But the scanned images will not automatically go to the computer. When the scanner is plugged into the computer, you have to select between USB Power (to power scanner), or Mass Storage (to download images from memory card). Included is a 'mini USB to dual standard USB' cable.

Using the controls on top of the scanner, you can view pages of thumbnail images stored on the SD card, magnify individual images for inspection and rotate or delete images. There are 8 language setting. It scans in black & white and color, it also has a color optimization mode for photos and high quality doc scanning. All scanned images are in the JPEG format - NOT PDF. The maximum length it will scan is 12 3/16".

Some reviewers had issues with scanning light weight paper i.e. store receipts. Yes. such docs can be a small challenge to scan but there are methods that will help. I gently press down on the receipt, at the sensor switch location (easy to see), during the scanning using the paper guide or finger to guide the receipt into the feed slot. If the receipt mis-feeds or stops feeding, just try again. Scanning takes only a few seconds. Another method: many store receipts are about 3" wide, you can cut any kind of clear plastic sheet protector or sleeve to 3 or 4" wide and place the plastic on top of the receipt (or place the receipt inside the sleeve), to add weight, and feed both into the slot, the scanner will scan only the length of the receipt. Also, you can cut a piece of blank paper and do the same thing, but the scan will include the blank paper at the end of the receipt as well.
Sheet protector: Avery Standard Weight Sheet Protectors, Pack of 25 Sheet Protectors (75530)

As I said earlier, the onboard LED Screen is a must have great feature to check scanned images on the spot. I don't want to leave a location only to find out later back at the office that I need a rescan.

Software:
> ArcSoft - for image editing
> ezScanPal - for OCR and PDF Conversion
I have not installed these programs because I already have comparable software already to edit and covert to PDF. ezScanPal would be needed to convert the JPEG scanned images to PDF.

Great customer service from ION.....
I did had a minor issue with the included mini USB to dual standard USB cable. I choose to download my images connecting the scanner to the computer. One of plugs on the dual end of the cable, that the instuctions said to use for image download, did not work for the computer to recognize the scanner. I emailed ION with my issue and after a few back 'n fourth troubleshooting emails, the tech sent me a new cable. Issue resolved.

Included:
> AC adapter w/6' cord & DC plug. The scanner does not have an internal battery source.
> Mini USB to 'dual' standard USB cable. This means there are 2 standard USB plugs to connect to a computer, supposedly to supply extra power to the scanner. The scanner will operate from the computer's USB without the need of AC and I only need to connect one of the USB's to power the scanner.
> 4 GB SD memory card. Enough for me to store 1000's of docs.
> Scanning sleeve - for photos, I have not needed to use the sleeve.
> Calibration and cleaning items.
> Software CD.
> User Manual & 90 day warranty in USA, (1 year for other countries -WHY?).

Specs:
11" Wide (long) x 2 7/8" Deep x 2 3/8" High
Scanning time for 8.5 x 11 doc: Default color mode: 13 seconds - Black & White: 10 seconds
Saving image to memory: Default scanning: 3 seconds - Color optimization mode: 36 seconds

ION Docuscan web site: [...]

Cons:
The SD card protrudes from the back of the scanner about 3/16" and could get bump, snagged or even break off when in carrying it around. I feel it should fit into the scanner flush with case. I haven't found a suitable carrying case yet.
on October 21, 2012
I use this to scan documents and receipts. As best I can tell, this scanner is not capable of scanning directly to a PC, but you can hook it to a PC to transfer the images off the SD card after you're done scanning. I use it mainly with an Eye-Fi SD card to automatically transfer scanned documents to my Android tablet over WiFi. If you're looking to scan documents on the go without a PC this is exactly what you need.
on April 16, 2013
The scanner was recently used on business trip and did a fine job. This saved time and energy, gave me instant scans of items I needed to send to my employer. No waiting for the hotel office to be free. No trying to figure out how to use the hotel biz hub. I was able to get items scanned and sent at work and at the hotel. The scanner even worked well in the car and at the airport. Thank You Amazon.
on January 20, 2013
We didn't have a scanner in our printer, so we tried this unit. It works okey, but sometimes scanned pictures are distorted and have to be redone. The included USB card is a nice feature which works well in our MAC
on November 26, 2013
I returned this. It is a great idea, but I could not get the paper to feed properly through the scanner. It would pull to one side and if I tried to straighten it, the scan would be blurred. I like the idea of being able to scan with out being connected to a computer, but this just wouldn't work right. I should add that this was with an 81/2 by 11 inch paper. When I put a photo into the "jacket"' included, it scanned just fine.
on September 4, 2012
9-4-12 -- I bought the Ion Docuscan in May of 2012 and it worked well at first, so I gave it a great review. After four or five uses it refused to start up for scanning, or it would not connect with the computer until I repeated everything several times; and now it won't power up at all.
9-5-12 -- Since the Docuscan refused to connect to the computer again, I tried moving the SD card to my SanDisk memory card reader and plugged that into the computer instead. Success! Now if I can just get the Docuscan to scan, I can still transfer what I scanned to my MacBook.
1/27/13 -- The Docuscan still scans well but does connect well with the computer, so now I go straight to using the Sandisk reader to upload (or download?) the SD card to the computer.
on October 4, 2012
This unit died after 6 months and very little use. It will not power on. I called customer service and discovered that the warranty period is a whopping 90 days. I was extremely disappointed in this product. Stay away!