5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Historical Fiction
Published on April 29, 2006 by Bart Breen

2.0 out of 5 stars eh. Was looking for more historical fiction. This is heavy on the fiction and light on the historical
I visited County Clare Ireland this summer and got interested in Brian Boru as he played such a huge role in the history of that area. I got this book, was pretty pumped about it but slowly lost interest. Not becuase Brian's life was boring but because the book appears mostly fiction and I could not corraborate the stories within with major historic facts I had...
Published 6 months ago by Jimi Nordkapp

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Historical Fiction, April 29, 2006
Morgan Llywelyn has done a fantastic job in this novel. She does outstanding research and builds a framework that will have you walk away from this book having a very good understanding of the history of Ireland in terms of its small kingdoms constantly warring with each other to where outside invaders can waltz in and mop up. The greatest king who accomplished what no other could was Brian Boru, Ard Ri (High King) and unfortunately his descendents proved incapable of maintaining what was created. If history had been different then, perhaps today's situation and recent past of continued fighting and occupation would have been different.

If that was all there was to offer in this situation, however, then Llywelyn's book would not stand out from much of the common fare in historical fiction. Far too often, characters are developed but left somewhat lacking and no real story develops and stands out.

This is not the case here. The characters are rich and personal and capture the spirit of the ages in a way that few historical fictional works ever do.

Llywelywn explores the conflict between druidic and Christian culture and religion and personifies it within her characters to where the discerning reader will pick up a lot that is caught more than told.

Be aware that some of the scenes are fairly adult in nature. It is not gratuitous. It does add to the story line, but some readers with sensitivities in this area will want to know that in advance.

Overall an excellent read with much to recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars This Lion Roars, September 14, 2004
Brad Nicholson (Perrysburg, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
I picked up this book knowing nothing about Irish history and going on a single recommendation. I am so glad I picked up because I couldn't put it down, it is easily one of the most engaging books I have ever read. Llywelyn seamlessly combines the heat of battle with the passion of love for women and country. A great read even for folks with no knowledge of Irish history. I highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant, March 20, 2001
Once again Morgan Llywelyn has written a wonderful book. This time she brings you back to the time of Brian Boru, one of the great kings of ancient Ireland.
As with many of her books Morgan has spent a lot of time researching her subject before writing the book. This historically accurate book gives you a glimpse of what life in ancient Ireland was like.
It left me craving more and dreaming of my heritage.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Fantastic Book, February 18, 1998
By A Customer
Lion of Ireland is one of the best books I've ever read; and for the record, I'm not one of those guys who makes that statement when the only other nominees are The Catcher in the Rye and The Cat in the Hat. I read voraciously, averaging a book a week, and this novel gripped and inspired me like few others since my childhood Rauld Dahls. Each chapter is full of well-drawn, 3-Dimensional characters, dramatic (and rarely corny) dialogue, and breathtaking, illistrative battle scenes. It doesn't do much good to keep throwing out superlatives, but I don't know how else to get you to read it. If you're one of those puritans, don't be put off by the smutty back cover. You owe it to yourself to pick up the most gripping royal adventure since Henry V. (Lion of Ireland would make an instant classic of a movie, but I fear that the uneducated public would simply see it as a "Braveheart rip-off". Not quite. Brian came first, and Brian won!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad, bittersweet, inspirational, exhilerating, awesome!, June 17, 1998
By A Customer
The story starts out with the all powerful, all conquering, Norse attacking the peaceful, sleeping seat of the then relatively unknown and insignificant Dalcassian Clan. The Northmen loot and burn without fear of reprisal. It is a fatal mistake for Norse interests in Ireland. They have made an enemy of a small boy with great dreams.
His name is Brian mac Cennedi and he will become the last true High King of Ireland. He will unite his land as no one has done before or since and extract a terrible toll of vengeance from his Viking enemies. The small boy grows up to become the great Boru. A true larger than life hero straight from the pages of history. A good king with an unquenchable lust for life, a keen and prescient sense of justice, and battle rage that even the fearless Norse and Danes recoiled from. Boru is, for my money, the greatest hero of all time.
Read this book and compare Boru to any of the heroes of mythology. They will not stand a chance! If you want to feel passion, read this book. If you want to walk in the shoes of greatness for once in your life, read this book. I read it twice and I can't wait to read it again someday.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that can change your life, January 29, 2000
I read this book (the first time, at least) when I was 15. I agree, some of the content may not be appropriate for adolescents. However, the message the book gave me has changed my life for the better. In Brian, I saw the power of dreaming big, of not forgetting and to never stop persuing your dreams. It opened my eyes and the world became a much more exciting, magical place - much like the wonderful places Llywelyn describes in her books. All of her books are moving, and often leave you shaken and begging for more - but this one contains so many powerful lessons wrapped up in an engrossing, epic, and mostly true story! If you havent read it yet, you are truly missing out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cead Milte Faite' Morgan L. !, February 22, 2001
Dennis (Atlanta GA) - See all my reviews
All I can say is that is simply the greatest book I've yet to read in my life. I first came across it when I was 6 yrs old, my father was reading it. I wanted to know what he was reading and he began to tell me about this "Boru". I was fascinated, however I was too young to read a book of this level. I kept a copy of it for 6 yrs until I was "mature" enough to comprehind it. It succeeded my greatest expectations. That was 12 yrs ago and I have hence read it somewhere around 14 times.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read!!!, December 29, 1996
By A Customer
The life of Brian Boru is chronicled in this fascinating novel of
Ireland. I started reading this novel early in the afternoon
and I couldn't put it down until early next morning! You'll
follow this man's incredible journey to unite all of Ireland
as one nation, changing forever the destiny of the Irish people.
If you want to travel into the history of the emerald isle without
paying airfare, you'll want this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Descendent of the title character speaks out., April 27, 2006
Being both an Irishman and a descendent of Brian Boru, I have done quite a bit of research into both the myths&legends and the historical records of the events and characters portrayed in this book and I have to say that Morgan Llywelyn writes about ancient Ireland as if she just stopped there for tea. I was thoroughly moved by her prose. From the moment I first opened the cover I was literally unable to put the book down, which was unfortunate because I ended up missing all of my classes for the rest of the day. I was just lucky it was Friday so I had the rest of the weekend to finish the book and then read it again. I whole heartedly recommend this book to everyone I know and I believe it should be required reading in any finishing school in Ireland. If you are into historical fiction or have eyes and are literate I demand that you purchase this book and tell all your friends about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brian Boru's tale, told with relish by Mrs. Llywelyn, February 14, 2000
Having first read her book "Druids" and absolutely loving it, I decided to take a chance on this one. A true masterpiece, this......even though the pace seems to drag midway, it picks up by the end to pick up the slack. From the early days when he was simply Brian mac Cennedi, from the destruction of his home, to his latter efforts to rise an army, and build a kingdom, this story will compell you to finish it. You just can't put this one down.
You want to find out how successful Brian's next campaign is, or read on to see who will be the next less than worthy man laughed at by the excessively lustrous Gormlaith (or, for that matter, what machinations she herself is in the middle of, as the story does paint her at odds with the tradition of the day, that being women being mostly subservient to their husbands)
Gormlaith defies this throughout, in decision and cunning a man, but the picture of womanhood by appearance. To tell more would give too much away. That which you see here is only packaged snippets of lush plot elements for you to discover upon reading this book. Pick it up today. You won't be disappointed.

Lion of Ireland (Celtic World of Morgan Llywelyn)
Lion of Ireland (Celtic World of Morgan Llywelyn) by Morgan Llywelyn (Paperback - March 6, 2002)
$19.99 $16.02