4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow recipes + a searchable index
I downloaded this book for two reasons. First, the price was unbeatable as it was then listed in the free downloads section. Second, I love to try recipes from other parts of the world. So I decided to give this book of Irish recipes a try.

Published on January 30, 2012 by S. Goldberg

3.0 out of 5 stars Hope the author reads his reviews
Published on January 25, 2012 by henren

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow recipes + a searchable index, January 30, 2012
This review is from: Irish Recipes: Mouthwatering Meals Direct From The Emerald Isle (Kindle Edition)

From the technical side of things, the book is well formatted. There is a searchable table of contents located at the end of the book. The book contains the following sections - Vegetables (7 recipes), Breads (6 recipes), Soups (6 recipes), Entrees (7 recipes), and Desserts (7 recipes). The recipes appear easy to follow with clearly written directions and a list of ingredients. I read where one reviewer said there's a missing ingredient in one of the recipes, but I haven't located any other glaring omissions or typos myself.

I have already tried the recipe for the Creamy Carrot Soup and quite enjoyed it. If you have picky eaters who claim to hate vegetables, you might be able to persuade them to eat this carrot soup. The taste and texture were excellent. (FYI - While I followed the recipe and directions given in the book, I made the dish "lighter" by substituing half and half for the heavy cream and low-calorie margarine for the butter. The end result was still delicious.) I'm already looking forward to trying more recipes from this book. Up next is another new-for-me recipe, the strawberry bread!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for "What Grandma used to make" assuming your grandma was Irish, April 21, 2012
I am usually reluctant to accept book review copies from authors. I've had too many disappointments. But Bryan Bowers' e-book cookbooks seemed straightforward enough, and looking at his website made me feel as though I found a kindred soul. I cheerfully accepted his offer of _Irish Recipes: Mouthwatering Meals Direct From The Emerald Isle_, and I'm glad I did.

The Kindle cookbook is a collection of 30 recipes that are "the usual suspects" for home-style Irish cooking. There's nothing astonishing here, nothing that'll make you say, "That's an interesting twist on an old standard." This _is_ the old standard, which is a very good thing if you want to cook dinner the way Grandma did (assuming Grandma was Irish. My Jewish grandma boiled _everything_, so much so that my father never had a roast beef until he was 18. But I digress.)

This is obviously a self-published work, and Bowers does some things that a formal editor might query. For example, so far I've made his recipe for Colcannon (which is mashed potatoes, leeks, and cabbage, with milk and butter). It's tummy-satisfying comfort food. But he calls for "3 medium potatoes, quartered and peeled" and I might have appreciated an eensy bit more guidance. Potatoes can vary in size so much that adding "about 12 ounces total" would have been helpful. (I had fingerlings on hand... hmm, how much should I use?) There's also no illustrations at all, which I know bothers some cooks.

Yet I _like_ this cookbook. You might argue that you could find plenty of recipes for baked brown bread, boxty, and cottage pie with a quick Internet search. That's true -- assuming you are looking for something specific, rather than, "Hmm, what shall I make tonight?" So if you have a mild interest in Irish cooking, I think this is a very good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Irish Cookbook With Original Family Recipes!, January 25, 2012
Sandy Bose (Chicago, Illinois USA) - See all my reviews
Authentic Irish family recipes! I grew up on the South Side of Chicago (Go Sox!) in a neighborhood that was mostly Irish. I had a lot of dinners with Irish neighbors and some of the recipes in Bryan Bowers' book were familiar. Others I had never heard of but they sound so good I'm going to make them in my home. Irish cooking is all about hearty comfort food. I remember having Champ (mashed potatoes with milk & scallions), homemade soda bread, Irish Potato Soup, Cottage Pie and Apple Cake. There are other Irish recipes in this book that sound so good and I know I'll make them: Boxty (potato pancakes), Nana's Scones, Vegetable and Sausage Soup, Creamy Carrot Soup, Crusty Roast Lamb, Apple Oatmeal Crisp and Chess Pie.

This book is well-written. The introduction to each recipe is informative. The recipe instruction are clearly laid out. And there are some beautiful pictures of some of the food. Highly recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Irish Cookbook - Recommend, March 9, 2012
This is a very good collection of traditional Irish recipes, presented in a well organized and easy to follow format. Each recipe is accompanied by the author's comments and very easy to follow directions. I was surprised by large percentage of bread recipes and there are, as expected, a lot recipes containing potatoes.

A very enjoyable cookbook!

Recommended!

CFH

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes me back!, January 25, 2012
I lived in Ireland for a couple of years when I was a teenager so was keen to revisit some Irish recipes. The book and title caught my eye and I'm glad they did! I'm working my way through the potato section just now, with the scrumptious looking cakes next on the list, and the rest to come over the next week or two to my eagerly waiting family!

I also enjoyed the way Bryan Bowers adds some history or a story to each recipe.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hope the author reads his reviews, January 25, 2012
I like this book I really do. I was looking through a few of the recipes and found a problem. In the coffee cake recipe it lists the ingredients then how to make it. When combining the ingredients it say to add buttermilk. Hmmmmmm. Didn't see buttermilk listed in the ingredients. Hopefully they look through and see if there are any other descries. Otherwise this a great cookbook.

hjs

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty Recipes, March 10, 2012
I really enjoy this cookbook! The vegetable and sausage soup is amazing and quickly became a bi-monthly favorite in our home (which is really saying something with children). The soda bread too is fantastic. I will be making every one of the recipes. Great book! Great foodie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful collection all in one place, January 25, 2012
The split pea soup and brown bread I have made for years. My children are always calling for my old world recipes. Now I can give them the book. Thank you so very much for creating this collection!! It's an easy read and easy to follow book. I especially love your your small descriptions before each recipe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't the Irish just make Irish Stew?, January 20, 2012
Well - that's what I thought and was I wrong!

Ok...I was a little concerned at first that the book would be too big as it appears to cover just about everything. It was the "mouthwatering meals" that originally got my attention. You will not be disappointed as the recipes in the book were passed down through his family. There's a few surprises, such as collops and rashers but the US substitutions are provided.

I'm looking forward to making all the recipes in this book - it's that good - but I'll start with Rhubarb Pie as it's one of my favs and I've never baked one. I suspect this is going to be one of my favorite cookbooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings me back, January 20, 2012
We visited Ireland a few years ago and truly enjoyed the savory and comforting meals. They had a delightful, cooked-with-love feel. Reading the recipes in this book really takes me back, and you can tell some of these dishes have been honed and crafted by the author's family over many years. There is a good selection here I appreciated learning the stories behind the recipes as that reminded me of our visit as well. We met a lot of storytellers! This is a great family recipe book, and I thank the author (and his grandmother) for sharing these.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›