5.0 out of 5 stars Steampunk Espionage and Lust, October 27, 2011
This review is from: Iron Dominance (Steamwork Chronicles 1) (Kindle Edition)
Set in a steampunk world, Iron Dominance is an erotic tale of espionage and lust. Ms. Silverwood has created a unique place that is exotic and interesting and is guaranteed to spark your imagination. She has all kinds of wonderful steampunk devices from airships to steammobiles to adult toys; it will all get your mind active trying to picture these nifty items. Also her descriptions of Claire's clothing are very appealing, as her clothes are made to cover, seduce and arouse all at once. This adds to the mood of the book and really helps set a scene.

Claire is more than just a clone and an assassin; she has a tough exterior and a little bit of sass to her, but she also has a childlike innocence. She hasn't let her past and her classification as a non-human make her angry or bitter; even in her most fearful moments she is capable of opening herself up to let others into her heart. I love and actually envy her ability to allow herself to be vulnerable.

Theo is a man who is a natural leader and who commands respect. He is smart but isn't afraid to follow his gut instinct, even if those around him call him crazy. He is a stern but fair leader, and his employees are very loyal to him. He carries these qualities over into his relationship with Claire, but with her, he has an added sense of tenderness that only she is capable of bringing out.

The "scenes" between Claire and Theo are drawn out and titillating. Ms. Silverwood tells a sub story with each scene, bringing Clair and Theo closer together. There is a definite beginning, middle and end to each scene as she takes her characters from arousal to pleasure and multiple climaxes. She takes her time, and it is exquisite and satisfying. Also, every encounter is totally different from the last; there are no repeat performances, every rendezvous is unique and wholly exhilarating.

If you are looking for a BDSM story with no vanilla Iron Dominance is your book. Cari Silverwood has created fascinating world, and strong characters that will grab you from the first page and won't let go until the last amazing page. Excellent work, Cari!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!, October 9, 2011
This review is from: Iron Dominance (Steamwork Chronicles 1) (Kindle Edition)
In Cari Silverwood's Iron Dominance we're treated to a highly erotic and ambitious tale of BDSM during a time of steam-powered vehicles and an alternative historical time-line that has a western alliance centered around Mexico vs a British/French coalition.

I love steampunk. As a child I read everything I could find in the library by Jules Vernes and particularly enjoyed Mysterious Island and Around the World in Eighty Days. Later, I dropped whatever I was doing to watch the latest episode of The Wild, Wild West on TV. To me it was cold-war James Bond dropped unexpectedly into the Civil War and I loved it.

Claire is a frankenstruct. Frankenstructs are sentient beings created in a lab and when first released appear to be eight-year-old human children. Since they are lab creations they can be genetically altered to perform whatever tasks their owners need, and in this case, Claire is an assassin. Her instructions are to kill Theo. When her aircraft is sabotaged and crashes, Theo Kevonis rescues Claire.

It takes Clair a while to realize that this is her target but meanwhile Theo has introduced Claire to the BDSM lifestyle. He has to keep Claire hidden because harboring a frankenstruct is against the law. When one is found they are to be brought in and euthanized. The laws do not treat frankenstruct as humans and in fact they are considered by some as little more than an unfeeling robot. The truth is otherwise, and it is this belief that Theo holds to the point of working to change the laws.

Despite her assigned role as a cold-blooded assassin, Claire is at heart a submissive, and Theo, not realizing Claire's true assignment, develops a D/s relationship with her that blossoms into love. The sex is scorching hot. Claire, whose sexual qualities were never nurtured, is first excited and then soothed by Alex's care for helping her find sexual release even over his own. This steampunk world even has adult toys. If I were to travel backward in time that might be high on my list of things to "invent," so I enjoyed finding that it is also a priority for the steampunk world Ms. Silverwood created. Ms. Silverwood manages to throw in a thrilling twist ending that you will be unable to forsee.

This is a delightful book, with its alternative universe and a plot that flows through it like a maze. I loved Claire and Theo and worried about how the conflict of Clair's instructions would play out against here growing love for the man. Cari Silverwood is now on my very short auto-buy list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Steamwork Chronicles Book 1, August 24, 2013
As posted on The Smutty Kitty reviewed by Witty Kitty

5 out of 5 Licks

A steampunk /BDSM read that certainly left me feeling VERY steamy. Claire is a frankenstruct, which means she is a clone that is created from various body parts of other people and deemed not human. Claire was created in a lab for the sole purpose of being an assassin. While heading out on her first mission her airship crashes with only a few survivors, the only thing that she know is her target's first name is Theo.

Claire and the other survivors are rescued on the estate of Colonel Theo Kevonois, a rich and powerful high ranking official within his country. Once Theo knows that Claire is a frankenstruct, he won't turn her over to the authorities because it would be an instant death sentence. Theo being a dominant sees through Claire's tough outer shell and begins giving her lessons to bring out her submissive side.

This was my first steampunk read but I loved it. Cari does a wonderful job creating this world and the characters within not to mention some very HOT BDSM scenes. If you have never read steampunk but love BDSM this book is a great intro. The inventive clothes (no ropes needed) and sex toys will keep you HIGHLY entertained. Looking forward to reading more from Cari Silverwood!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing re-intro to BDSM, May 30, 2012
This review is from: Iron Dominance (Steamwork Chronicles 1) (Kindle Edition)
(Originally read December 2011. Reviewed on Goodreads December 31, 2011.)

This is the first book I've read by Cari Silverwood, and I read it because 1)it came highly recommended, and 2)it was also scheduled as "To Be Read" for a group I'm a part of.

I was a little uncertain about reading this book, even though it came highly recommended, because of the BDSM content. To make a long story short, I haven't touched a BDSM book because of a bad reading experience that left a bad taste in my mouth. The hope of recommending the book to me was that I'd overcome my BDSM fear and once again learn to enjoy a genre I'd loved to indulge in before.

So I took a chance and read "Iron" in December.

I'll admit that some of the play between Theo and Claire was tough to read, and more than once I almost tapped out of my eReader to distract myself from what was being done. But I'd resolved to read this book, and I would. I did have to re-read a lot of it, especially the portions describing their play time, because reading them once didn't give me an accurate enough picture of what was being done.

Aside from the content, I loved the characters. Theo was dominant, observant and discerning. It was a terrific combination when introducing and persuading Claire to not only indulge but to also enjoy his darker desires. His dominant nature wasn't just reserved for how he interacted with Claire in and out of the bedroom, but it was how he was with everything in his life - his house, his men, his business. He commanded. People obeyed without question.

And while I liked Claire's strong personality, I absolutely loved her willingness to learn about Theo's world. In real life, I believe Claire would've spent more quality time with him before trusting him to tutor her in his lifestyle. But I found that I could excuse this fictional behavior as I got to see Theo work with her.

I never thought I'd read a BDSM story again, not after having such a horrible experience with another book. Yet I'm happy that I took a chance on "Iron" and read it from beginning to end despite early-on trepidation and wondering if I really wanted to venture down this road again.

Ms. Silverwood's ability to write a steampunk story laced so intricately with BDSM elements not only drew me in as a reader but encouraged me to learn more about the lifestyle and to love reading this genre once again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review: Iron Dominance by Cari Silverwood, December 9, 2011
This review is from: Iron Dominance (Steamwork Chronicles 1) (Kindle Edition)
Iron Dominance by Cari Silverwood starts off with our main Lady character, Claire a frankenstruct. More so she is an assassin about to be assigned on a mission when the air ship she is on crashes before she gets any of the details by her commander except a name, Theo, and she is rescued at the crash site by Theo Kevonis.

Though Theo's head of security Dankyo is against it Theo takes Claire into his home and tells no one about her, as Frankenstructs are illegal and deemed as not human, he can not help but see the woman as human as he. And while tending her finds that she may be more than willing to stay by his side or better yet kneeling at his feet.

Claire immediately feels the pull of the commanding man that has saved her though doesn't quite understand it but is all to willing to learn and Theo all to willing to give her lesions and teach her how good it can feel to submit to him. But soon lie after lie to keep what she was really on the air ship for has her tangled in a web of deceit and then news comes that her commander did not die in the crash after all.

I have never been a fan of Science Fiction; sure there are a few I liked even loved but overall the genre is not on my list. That is one of the main reasons I put off reading Steampunk; it sounded cool and I love some of the things I have saw pictured but overall I had heard it was very inline with Science Fiction. But when I saw the words Steampunk and BDSM, there was no way I could think to say anything but yes! And I loved it oh my, if every Steampunk book is this awesome then I have been deprived!

I really liked Claire as a character and though I felt an intense need for her to tell Theo everything; she unfortunately did not. This book was everything a BDSM novel should be in my opinion and more because though I have read BDSM this was of course my first Steampunk so I am getting all these new images in my head of things I have never heard of before along with the sex scenes Cari has written in this book! Like the bedroom scene with Henry's toys. *blushes* Or the air ship scene, or the ending scene with Dankyo...*shivers*

All in all I really liked this novel the BDSM elements were erotic as hell, really Henry making all those naughty toys for Theo to use. It was fast paced, very informative for anyone new to either Steampunk or BDSM. One thing I admit to being curious about is Dankyo. Will there be a second book perchance so we can see his foray into BDSM and about his Lady? I admit I would not be averse to reading it, I quite liked Dankyo as a character he was in control, dangerous, dominate, tall, very muscular... ;)

I would recommend this novel to anyone who loves BDSM and Steampunk but I would also recommend this novel to anyone who likes BDSM and is curious about Steampunk; it made a great and lasting impression for Steampunk as a whole for me.

*I received an Ebook copy of this book for free to review from the author.

4.0 out of 5 stars New Steampunk Addict!, October 27, 2011
This review is from: Iron Dominance (Steamwork Chronicles 1) (Kindle Edition)
Hot, hot, HOT! This is my first steampunk novel and I think I'm addicted.

The story follows Claire, an assassin with a secret who falls in love with her captor turned sexual master, Theo. He's a very dominant hero and the book has a moderate BDSM theme. But when it comes down to it, there's a lot of heart.

Cari Silverwood is the master at sexual tension. The erotic scenes were beautifully written and hot as hell. The plot was fun and exciting. Even though this book is classified as erotica there was plenty of story and character development. I highly recommend this read for fans of steampunk and/or erotica

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good steampunk BDSM romance, May 31, 2013
This review is from: Iron Dominance (Steamwork Chronicles 1) (Kindle Edition)
This was a pretty good read. It's my first steampunk book and I found it an interesting addition to the story line.

Claire is a frankenstruct. A person put together from cloned parts of a person. She was made and raised as an assassin. The ship she's on crashes and she's saved by Theo. Normally Frankenstructs are killed but Theo doesn't believe it's right and protects her. He tries to discover who she is and more info about her but since she's scared (for various reasons) she doesn't tell him she was trained as an assassin. I liked Claire but there was a time or two when I wondered that someone with her background and training would be able to accept everything so easily. She doesn't really have the right temperament for an assassin anyways so maybe that's why she takes everything a little easier than I would have expected.

Theo is a good man. He is Dominant and when he finds himself attracted to Claire he doesn't hesitate to seduce her. Fortunately he finds her to be a natural submissive which matches with his needs. He tries to find out more about her for himself and because he wants to make sure she's safe to have around his people (he's a Lord with lands and many people working for him). He knows she isn't telling him everything but trusts her to an extent.

Although Claire is willing to leave her past behind her, it doesn't want to stay there. Things come to a head and Claire has to admit to lies. She works to correct them but Theo doesn't take it well. Help comes from a friend and things end nicely. I enjoyed this story and am glad I tried it. I may read more in the series. :D(

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to Steampunk!!!, March 9, 2013
Four 1/2 Stars

Hmmm, what to say about this book, how to describe it? This series was my first foray into the Steampunk world of crazy contraptions, and I have to say it will *not* be my last.

Claire is a Frankenstruct – a being assembled from cloned parts – with no rights as a human being, trained as an assassin from a young age. Her sadistic handler, Inkline, is providing a briefing on her first mission, when the airship they are traveling on is shot down.

Theo is a highly ranked Lord, determined to use his place of birth to help the people of his estate and his country. When his men find a beautiful female Frankenstruct, wounded, in the wreckage of a downed airship he cannot allow them to fulfill the law and terminate her on sight. The law states she is not a person, but Theo can’t see her as just a thing, and the Dom in him can’t help but see her as something more.

Claire is trapped with only bad options, but if she tells Theo the truth about her mission, she will lose the first human who has ever seen her as a person.

This is a richly drawn world, with complex main characters. Watching Claire’s first free steps in the world are as fascinating to the reader as they are to Theo. Theo’s steadfast support and belief in Claire’s “human-ness” is a nice change from the normal misunderstandings and mistrust that occur in the romance/erotica genres. Don’t worry though, some mistrust is provided in the form of Theo’s head of security, Dankyo.

The BDSM scenes are HOT, varied and inventive, with the Steampunk world in evidence in the gadgets, toys, clothing and contraptions. I recommend this book to anyone who likes BDSM and wants to read a very well written book, with a multifaceted world and excellent characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read with extra sizzle, February 18, 2013
This review is from: Iron Dominance (Steamwork Chronicles 1) (Kindle Edition)
This is one of the first steampunk novels I have read. I wasn't sure what to expect out of this new genre. It will definitely not be the last. Thankfully, there are two more already out in this series:) I loved the world building, great characters, and hot and steamy sex scenes. This is a steampunk/bdsm erotic romance. So if you like "fade to black" you probably want to pass. The author does an admirable job combining a great story with wonderful (eyes rolling in the back of the head, shudder inducing) sex scenes- ~whew~ What Theo and Claire get up to between the sheets, at the table, in the shower, outside- You get the idea ;) and Bonus- there is a great story and new world to learn about too!
Steamships, steam cars, bizarre weapons, bizarre toys (~wink, wink~), cloning. Even shibari! Theo can tie me up anytime. I think this book would be a good fit for people who like a variety of different genres: bdsm, scifi, fantasy, even historical. If you're looking for a well written romance with extra sizzle and a plot, look no further, this book has a little something for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Rock, Cari, October 8, 2011
This review is from: Iron Dominance (Steamwork Chronicles 1) (Kindle Edition)
Iron Dominance was the first Steampuck type story I had read and really wasn't sure what to expect. To say the least, I was pleasantly surprised. The budding BDSM relationship between Theo and Claire totally captivated me. My heart wept as Claire struggled with her inner turmoil, but Theo proved to be the one constant in her uncertainty.

I loved the world Cari created between the frankenstructs and the steam inventions of transportation. If you love BDSM and are looking for a new spin, Iron Dominance is worth your time.

Iron Dominance (Steamwork Chronicles 1)
$7.49