1,420 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars A frank review by an Iron Man Fanboy
I've loved Iron Man ever since my first Tales of Suspense comic, so I might not be the most unbiased person to write a review. Still, I'm going to try and be as honest as I possibly can. In some ways, Iron Man 2 improves on the original. For instance, the brawl between Iron Man and War Machine was perfect, and RDJr was even better this time around. However, there were...
Published on September 27, 2010 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars When your most exciting moment in an IRONMAN movie is Scarlett Johansson beating up cops, there is a major problem.
WOW! What happened here!? After such a surprise smash of an original, how could this sequel come off so . . . well, boring?

I admit, at first I found the slower pace refreshing. After all, isn't that the direction every other sequel takes? Bigger, louder, faster, less plot? So when the film opened with about twenty or thirty minutes of talk revolving around...
Published on May 15, 2010 by Steve Forsyth

5.0 out of 5 stars This is What Blu-Ray's About (+Easter Egg!), October 8, 2010
Tyler S. "Super-Review" (Brentwood, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Iron Man 2 (Three-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo) (Blu-ray)
While I would give 4 stars to the theatrical release of this picture, the blu-ray package deserves the best rating. It's packed with necessary features, and it looks absolutely fantastic. This purchase rekindled my love for blu-ray, and I'm impressed with Paramount and Marvel's efforts. In a world filled with useless special features, Iron Man 2 gives us what we really want, although I still want more.

The film has its problems, but its definately solid. Some of the logic is absent, the plotwork thin, but the actors sell it and its nearly nonstop fun. It dips a little bit in the middle, but all of its fanboy treats made me fall in love with the film. I praise this film for squeezing great bits out from the Marvel universe, while still holding back a lot of big guns. The film gave me a fun Iron Man vs. Villain story, while still introducing me to a few new cherished Marvel characters. The biggest impact from Iron Man 2 is the undeniable tension it gives in me stemming from my desire to travel through time to see Thor, Captain America, and Avengers. Iron Man 2 is a great film on its own, but what I love about it most, is that it promises a great future.

As I stated earlier, the blu-ray is worth your money. Thankfully only one commentary exists (I'm tired of seeing the movie 5 times to learn all the secrets). And its backed up by blocky behind-the-scenes featurettes. I praised the second transformers movie, however flawed it was, for having a great blu-ray release. Paramount knows how to give people what they want in their purchase. Universal needs to abandon the U-control and get on board with what Paramount and Sony are providing.

*******Easter Egg*****
Watch the end of "Building a Legacy" on disc 2. You will be awarded, after the credits, with a clip of Thor filming. It contains an interview with the comic writing genius Michael J. Straczynski, and his humbled love for the film. I literally raised my legs and started kicking like a little girl.

Good film, great blu-ray. The film itself gave me all that I wanted, however sloppy it may have delivered it, and the blu-ray just nailed it. The only thing I request in the next installment is that they give more logical reasoning for the plot. The element creation plot, was a little hard to swallow for a chem major, and I don't think they'll be able to sell it with jokes next time. However, theres so much to love about this film that I can't help ignoring its problems.

2.0 out of 5 stars Iron Man 2, a mediocre movie in all aspects, and a terrible sequel, October 7, 2010
This review is from: Iron Man 2 (Three-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo) (Blu-ray)
After how fresh and fun the original Iron Man was, I was dismayed to find that its sequel, Iron Man 2, was the textbook example of how NOT to make a sequel, and worst of all, the movie commits the cardinal sin of any would be blockbuster. Its boring.

Feeling more like a set up to a potential Avengers movie than a proper sequel, Iron Man 2 fumbles its incoherent storyline from beginning to end. Scenes are thrown together with neither rhyme nor reason, many of them could be cut and mean absolutely nothing to the entire film. At no point does it ever feel like anything is at stake, and one of the primary factors that results in that feeling is the absolutely awful villain, played here by Mickey Rourke, who gets the chance to shine during an action sequence at a race track, well publicized in the adverts, but afterwards, is essentially sidelined only to briefly re-appear when convenient. The film also resorts to the worst possible way for a sequel to "top" the original. You liked the fight against 1 robot suit in Iron Man? Well here are fights with dozens of robot suits! Not only is the set-up of the action uninspired, but so is the execution. The action is lifeless, boring, unexciting, and by the end it amounts to nothing more than little dots flying in the sky and random lazers coming from various directions. Iron Man 2 is the posterboy for bad sequels. Its not as horrific as Spider-Man 3, but it is without a doubt a poor film in almost every area. I wish I could say that by the end of the film, at least Robert Downey Jr's portrayal of Tony Stark keeps the film feeling fresh, but no, even that ends up rote thanks to the dilution of the original character whose well known battles with alcohol have been a staple of Iron Man stories, and yet here are played for laughs. For shame.

The Iron Man 2 blu-ray however features excellent audio and video, and contains a decent enough set of special features, but I can't recommend the movie in good conscience.

5.0 out of 5 stars best marvel movie yet!, September 29, 2010
don't be tricked by the bad reviews of this movie, it is on the par with the incredible hulk which was action packed and had a good plot. Better than the first (not saying i didn't like it) more action. Mickey Rourke(Whiplash) was a great villan like abomination, doc ock(Spider man 2)and joker (Dark knight DC comics) Jeff Bridges was also good.Don Cheadle(War machine) did a great job(better than Terrence Howard) also a better actor and Scarlet Johansson who works with Nick Fury was also great. Nick Fury(Samuel L. Jackson) also has more screen time. Loads of action and a good story. Also check out the end of the credits surprise ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars No rust on this "Iron", May 6, 2010
This review is from: Iron Man 2 (Three-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo) (Blu-ray)
I will admit that I was a tad worried about Iron Man 2, because, well let's face it, the first movie was so fantastic that it was almost untouchable. I mean, with the first movie, you had the extraordinary talents of Downey, Howard, Paltrow, Bridges and plenty more anchoring what was an incredible must-see summer slam of a movie. However, seeing the trailers for the second movie made me think "Uh oh, Spider Man 3 all over again." Sequels, especially superhero ones, seem to think that since they bring tons of random crap and characters into the frame, that they are always better, and as excited as I was for this movie, I felt it was going to be another one of those movies. So upon going into the theater, I kept those worries in mind.

Well, I can now officially say that those worries didn't prevent me from loving the movie.

Remember when Michael Bay tried to accomplish something epic with Transformers 2 with all these new characters and stuff? Well, Jon Faverau has managed to accomplish what Michael Bay never did- make a near-perfect sequel that manages to be just as great as the first. Now like the first, there's not a ton of action, but those scenes where action is absent, Faverau manages to make the most out of them. Complete with great action, laughs and characters, Iron Man 2 is the first big summer movie, and a must see on the big screen for sure, especially if you see it in digital!

***SPOILERS***
Iron Man 2 picks up half a year from when the first movie left off. The Stark Expo has just begun in Flushing, New York, and is to last all year. Tony, in a televised hearing, privatizes world peace. Life seems to be great, except for the fact that the reactor keeping him alive is killing him. This doesn't stop him from being Iron Man though- he continues to go on as Iron Man for the moment. He even considers replacing Pepper Potts with Natalie Rushman, appointing Potts a CEO to Stark Industries. However, in Russia, Ivan Vanko, the son of physicist Anton Vanko, having just lost his father and jealous of Stark's success, creates his own arc reactor, and becomes Whiplash, a badass villain with two electrified whips that can split anything in half with enough force.

His first appearance is at a race in Monaco, and after a brief (and failed) attempt to kill Tony, he meets up with Justin Hammer, Stark's rival, and they both collaborate to build a new technology that will hopefully overthrow Tony. However, with a stint at Tony's house appointing James Rhodes as War Machine, and several other plots, Tony Stark, suffering through personal problems, doesn't know if he really can be Iron Man and resolve all this.

Now the plot may not sound that great, but when you see it in the movie, you will be impressed with how complex it is. To not spoil too much, I left some stuff out, because the movie is that great. Aside from the plot, everything else is great. The acting here is fantastic! Robert Downey Jr. has his usual charm here, playing the lovable jerk that is Tony Stark. Replacing Terrence Howard is Don Cheadle, and he does it well! I can't believe I am saying this but I actually preferred him to Howard. Howard was great but wooden in places, whereas Cheadle was great the whole way. And Scarlett Johannson... whoa. When is she NEVER eye candy? As for her performance- this movie proves she is not just another pretty face. Her fight scene is just... mind blowingly amazing! Mickey Rourke gives a a fantastic performance as well, and manages to shine as the villain,

Of course, halfway through, the movie takes a break from the action and focuses on some character development- I was worried about it at first hearing but as I was watching the movie, I realized that sometimes, in superhero movies, character development does more than whiz-bang action. Don't worry guys, the scenes where action is absent are just as great as the scenes with action. But the action scenes are INCREDIBLE!!!! People are exaggerating the lack of action- the last 20 minutes alone has more action than the first, and is certainly more thrilling than the first too. The climax certainly is a thrill, and I gotta say I had a blast seeing it on the big screen.

So in short, Iron Man 2 is a success. I had tons of fun seeing it on the big screen. A great sequel and a great standalone movie, Iron Man 2 is a sequel that truly kicks ass. Whatever worries you may have, I recommend you cast them aside, because you're in for a 2 hour fun ride. So if you wanna see a sequel that truly kicks ass, this movie is it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Overhyped + Brief fighting scenes + More about Tony Stark's personal trouble than Ironman, September 30, 2010
This movie spent more time depicting Tony Stark's personal trouble than Ironman's achievements. That made it more like a drama. Yet, it's a half-baked drama because it's not given enough time to move me. Just when the drama was building up, it moved to the action scenes. However, these were too brief to provide excitement. For example, the fighting at the race track looked good but it ended too quickly. The last action scenes with hundreds of Ironman clones looked like cartoon.

There were less funny dialogues than the first film.
Overall, this picture is over-hyped.

5.0 out of 5 stars Iron Man Rocks, October 3, 2010
Iron Man is back in this smash sequel to the first movie. But now Iron Man faces a more deadlie foe Whiplash. Micky Rouke Plays the notorious villian That wants to destroy Iron Man. Hopefully Iron Man can defeat Whiplash with a Little Help From Warmachine and Pepper Pots they might just be able to save the day. Samual L. Jackson Returns as Nick Fury and he also brought along Nick Fury's Assistant Black Widow. this movie rocks.

2.0 out of 5 stars Big letdown., October 21, 2010
Ken N (Holbrook, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Iron Man 2 (Three-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo) (Blu-ray)
I can't add anything that hasn't been already stated. The scene where the Ironman suit gets stolen by somebody who has never stepped inside of one before made me cringe.

The scenario is so typical now...sequels to blockbuster's are just half-assed thrown together because they know theye are gonna make money regardless. At least it was only wasted NF rental for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Iron Man is Awesome, March 3, 2014
This review is from: Iron Man 2 (Three-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo) (Blu-ray)
I remember reading the Iron Man comics growing up, it's great to see as a movie. Robert Downey Jr is awesome as Tony Stark/Iron Man. I think it's terrible when the main actor is replaced in a movie series, it totally ruins it for me, so I am really glad that Robert Downey Jr is always Iron Man. I love the special effects, the acting, the flow of the storyline, and just about everything in this movie. My husband says he can always tell if I loved a movie when we see it in the theater, after the movie if I say "I have to get that when the DVD/Blu-Ray comes out." he knows I loved it. This was definitely one movie I said that for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, November 2, 2010
This review is from: Iron Man 2 (Three-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo) (Blu-ray)
Good price from Amazon, as always. It was a personal must see for me. Robert Downey has really made Tony Stark his character. If you liked the first one, you will enjoy this one as well. Cameo by the late DJ AM was nice. Scarlett looked hotter than ever. Samuel L. "Mothereffin'" Jackson steals the scenes. Go get it, all I can say.

2.0 out of 5 stars Superhero Film - Action = Iron Man 2, November 10, 2010
E. David Swan (Denver, Colorado USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Iron Man 2 (Three-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo) (Blu-ray)
You can't fault Iron Man 2 for not being pretty. The movie looks awesome if you can stay awake for the whole thing. Amazingly there is almost no action throughout but if I focus on that I'll just be repeating what a hundred other reviews have already said. My bigger problem is with the main plot. The movie opens with Tony Stark MC'ing `Stark Expo' and basically coming off like a rich arrogant jerk. We then cut to Ivan Vanko, a heavily scarred and tattooed Russian living in poverty who sets off to build his own super suit to take revenge on Tony Stark for um.... well, something that supposedly Stark's dad did to his dad but I don't remember it ever being spelled out. So the entire motivation of Vanko is left undefined. The contrast between Stark in his absurdly futuristic lab and the brutal but brilliant Vanko in his dingy, dark apartment with equipment piled high seemed like it was taking its cues from Rocky III. In the third Rocky movie Rocky was living the high life as champion of the world while the much hungrier Clubber Lang trained with everything he had in a filthy, rat infested gym. Lang handed Rocky a crushing defeat because he fought and trained with more heart and Rocky only regained his belt by humbling himself and returning to his roots. By contrast Tony Stark defeats Vanko twice fairly handily and the Champaign never stops flowing. So who is the hero and who is the villain? Vanko's only motivation was nebulous revenge on Stark and his defeat was crushing and humiliating against the endless resources of the pompous Stark. In the final fight Iron Man and War Machine are surrounded by dozens of Vanko's drones only have Stark whip out a laser slicing them all in half without hardly breaking a sweat. I know Iron Man is supposed to be the hero with flaws but good lord is it hard to root for him.

Early in the movie Tony Stark is called before a Senate committee led by Senator Stern (Garry Shandling). The Senator is concerned that a private citizen has such a powerful weapon and demands it be turned over to the government. His other concern is that other countries are trying to duplicate the technology. Stark gives the Senate the finger and given the ratings of the current U.S. Senate I can imagine people enjoying this scene but the truth is that Stern is right. Whether he designed the weapon or not is irrelevant this is incredibly dangerous technology and when you get right down to it Stark has been shown to be very irresponsible such as in the scene later where a drunken Iron Man starts shooting wine bottle and watermelons thrown by models. After defeating Vanko, Stern has no choice but to award Stark a medal and the rich guy with the Iron Man suit wins again.

Since Vanko is clearly an overmatched opponent the writers gave Stark another issue to deal with. The arc reactor in his chest is poisoning his blood but you'd never know it since he seems fit as a fiddle even as the toxicity level exceeds 50%. So what he needs is a new element to replace the palladium core and leave the reactor safe. Guess what, his father discovered the element... and hid it... because... wait, hold on a second. How did his father know he was going to need an element since the shrapnel in his chest occurred long after his dad died and if his dad discovered this wonder element why did he hide it in this absurdly complicated hiding place? It makes absolutely no sense other then to look COOL onscreen as Stark uses his super technology to decode the secret. Having a NEW more powerful core Stark is in an even better place then at the start of the movie and everything is coming up roses. So we have a detestable character who wins in every possible way and learns nothing.

The movie looks fantastic and with Robert Downey, Mickey Rourke and Sam Rockwell not to mention Samual L. Jackson and Garry Shandling the acting is great. High marks to Rourke in particular and it's a shame the poor Vanko was so dominated. I didn't mention Don Cheadel because he seemed to be sleepwalking through this role and Gwyneth Paltrow was a bit too shrill for my taste. The only real problem with the film is the plot but it's a killer. I used to think Superman Returns was the slowest big budget superhero movie but that one is action packed next to Iron Man 2. The racetrack scene with Vanko half an hour in is the best scene in the movie and from then on it just plods along. This one is DEFINETLY a rental. Some action movies I just skip to the action scenes to watch an abbreviated version of the movie but if you do that with Iron Man 2 you're lucky to be left with 10 minutes of movie. I can't imagine wanting to watch this one again.

Iron Man 2 (Three-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo)
Iron Man 2 (Three-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo) by Jon Favreau (Blu-ray - 2010)
$39.99