on February 26, 2014
While not offering an UltraViolet Digital Copy, I am encouraged that Marvel at least provided some reasonable Digital Copy options with this set: Iron Man 3 (Two-Disc Blu-ray / DVD + Digital Copy). Digital Copy owners can select either:

Option 1: Disney Movies Anywhere (account registration required) plus iTunes, or

Option 2: Any one of the following standalone providers (with no Disney Movies Anywhere account registration required): iTunes, VUDU, Amazon Instant Video, or Google play.

I have a VUDU account, which I selected, so I now have a digital copy of Iron Man 3 (HDX quality) with the ability to download or stream the movie in HD.

Can I ask a favor of everyone for whom the above information was useful? Can we please collectively keep asking Amazon to provide the detailed Digital Copy information in the product description of the DVDs and Blu-rays that it sells? In the Product Details section of every Amazon DVD/Blu-ray listing is a line that says, "Did we miss any relevant features for this product? Tell us what we missed." with a link. Every time I buy a DVD/Blu-ray from Amazon now, I click this link and enter "Missing Detailed Digital Copy Information". If a few million of us customers do this, perhaps Amazon will listen and start including this important information in the product description for a change. Thanks!
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 6, 2013
Let me start by saying that I can understand why there are a lot of split opinions about IRON MAN 3. It's a film full of misdirection and deceptions, and I was a little distressed by a couple of them - which would give away too much to detail here. Suffice it to say that there were a couple of moments I felt somewhat cheated; and though I'll be vague about it I can say it involved Mandarin. Still, read on; while I gave the movie four stars, I believe down the road I might very well revise this to a five. I'll explain...

First of all, rest assured there is A LOT of action. And there are a lot of the Iron Suits, too...it's just that Tony Stark isn't often the one IN the suit. I found myself often frustrated by that fact: Iron Man interruptus, if you will. Either the suits were off on their own, or they were on other people, or they weren't working properly...something that seemed to occur almost constantly.

I saw it in Imax 3D, and it was well worth the extra $$ to do so (given the fact that $17 is a RIDICULOUS price for a movie ticket in the first place). The movie was lush, packed with detail, and continuously drew me "inside" it. The scenes of (don't panic about spoilers - these are in ALL the promos) Stark's house exploding and falling into the sea are meticulously crafted and extremely inclusive...I really felt the dimensional layers as the house was blown apart: I could feel the force of the detonation, and house collapsing, and the impact of the sea as the house AND Iron Man tumbled into it. Similarly, the moments where his suit fly through the air and "find" him, or the death-defying scenes aboard (and outside) Air Force One, and so many others throughout the film really do feel like you're there.

When it comes to the action you'd expect from a movie such as this, IRON MAN 3 is a rollicking, smash-mouth treat. Director Shane Black - whose only previous directorial role was on Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (which ironically served as Robert Downey, Jr.'s comeback film) - does a more-than-capable job, and the characters and events are big and loud. You'll feel like you are on a roller-coaster; while there are of course moments of crazy adrenaline rushes, there are also emotional ups and down. But Tony Stark is just as glib as always, causing almost as much damage with his mouth as he does as with his armor. I laughed a lot during the movie ... for those who care, Tony's mechanical manservant JARVIS (the voice of Paul Bettany) gets a good deal of air play here, and he's just as lovably bumbling as always.

Yet - and remember my dichotomy about this - the movie really focuses on Tony Stark OUTSIDE the suit. I wish the promos had clued me into this: our man Tony is experiencing Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder because of what happened in The Avengers. Had I been informed of that I wouldn't have felt slighted, and I think it would have better prepared me for this movie. I found myself constantly disappointed, even cheated, by the absence of Tony WITHIN the suit. I realize now that was the only way I felt Iron man was indeed Iron Man. Yet I will declare that now, looking back, I feel good about the movie, and I'm glad to have seen Tony as a more "real" person, as a more human man, a man undergoing a metamorphosis.

There are other things about this movie that surprised me - and I'm sure will surprise you - that I will NOT tell you. Just realize that while this is a very action-packed movie, it is also a personal one. It's this kind of writing that has typified the action movies of today, making them stand out above their "super-hero" predecessors. Like the The Dark Knight movies of Chris Nolan, these new, and better, powerhouse films are focusing on their heroes' moments of personal growth, warts and all. It's a trend I'm really happy to see.

(A NOTE: if you feel negatively about my review, please leave a comment to help me next time.)
5252 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 9, 2013
The first time I saw this movie I really didn't like it, I had just come off the high of "The Avengers" and let me make it clear, this one isn't as good. That said it is significantly better than Iron Man 2 and that's because the story is deeper and direct. There's a lot less focus on explosions and fancy effects (although there is plenty of that) and more on dialogue and character development.

One thing I like about this movie is that you get to learn more about Tony Stark, as much as I loved his arrogance in IM1, 2 at the end of Avengers he was humbled and that continues in this one. On the one hand I love the suits and the fancy technology but it's Robert Downey's sarcasm and wit that make him so great for this franchise.

Yes there is a big plot twist but it by no means ruins the movie and while I was not a fan of the ending, you can see where things are going towards Avengers 2.

It may not be for you, my only advice is to make sure you watch it again. I was angry the first time I did and thought the movie was a joke, each additional time I've watched it I take something more from it and enjoy it a little more.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 10, 2013
I am not going to give away anything plotwise for those who haven't seen this movie yet but my advice to everyone is to watch "The Avengers" before watching this one. The reason for this is because the movie frequently references things that happened there and they will make more sense to the viewer. It at least sticks with canon where the films are concerned. While "The Avengers" isn't necessarily "Iron Man 2.5", there are things that happen to the Tony Stark character in that film that come into play in "Iron Man 3".

(Personal side note, I purchased the single disc DVD, just because that was in my budget. I would have preferred Blu Ray but I am one movie fan who doesn't really nitpick about formats. I will watch a film on VHS if I want to see it bad enough.)

That notwithstanding, it is still a great film on its own. If you want to see Robert Downey Jr. a LOT, this film will NOT disappoint you in that department, nor will you feel cheated out of special effects galore, stunning and jaw dropping stunts, and great stuff all around.

Ben Kingsley is hilarious. There are many instances where you laugh out loud in this film.

It is an all around entertaining way to spend two hours and eleven minutes.

The story takes place around Christmas time, which surprised me that it was a summer film. I guess Paramount figured it would be a better time to launch the third film in the franchise. It isn't technically a "holiday" film anyway, but in any case, Paramount studios dominated movie theaters when this first came out and then "Star Trek: Into Darkness" started playing a week or so later and they ran concurrently there for a while..then "Star Trek" got released for home viewing first.

One last thing. Watch all the way through the credits. Like the previous two movies, there is an "Easter egg" that hints to what may or may not happen if a fourth film ever gets made.

I enjoyed the film and ultimately having a good time while watching a movie is the most important thing.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 11, 2014
With all the different continuity connected franchises, we’ve seen Tony Stark quite a few times now. In fact, the appearances of the character are steadily inching towards the James Bond or Godzilla territory in terms of movie screen time. Iron Man 3 marks Robert Downey Jr.’s fifth outing as the titular superhero, and a lot is riding on his shoulders once again. In the wake of Joss Whedon’s mega hit, The Avengers, this is the first of the Marvel properties to be released after their team-up. It’s also a dreaded third entry in a franchise, something that’s all too often proved to be inferior to the movies preceding it. Is Iron Man the hero to finally break a trend that dates all the way back to the Superman movies, or has the armored avenger overstayed his welcome?

Picking up not too long after the events of The Avengers, Tony Stark is suffering from a sort of post traumatic stress. He’s battled gods and aliens, yet the world is expected to just go back to normal. Rather than confront these bizarre new changes, he’s chosen to hide away in his lab, building armor after armor. While he’s occupied with his distractions, a mysterious new threat has surfaced, calling himself the Mandarin. A super terrorist hell bent on attacking America, he makes theatrical threats and uses bombs that leave no trace whatsoever. It gets personal when Tony’s friend Happy Hogan (played by former director Jon Favreau) is caught up in such an explosion, forcing Iron Man to challenge the terrorist at his home. The rest of the movie centers on Tony’s battles against the Mandarin as he tries to find him and put a stop to his evil schemes.

For a third installment in a franchise, a lot of credit should be given to new director and co-writer Shane Black for keeping the story interesting and fresh. The humor is sharp and plentiful, the action is great, and he takes it back to the basics of what made the first Iron Man so good, namely its protagonist. The bulk of the story centers around Tony, who’s alone, battered, and without his armors. He’s forced to solve an insurmountable new problem using only his wits and his uncanny resourcefulness. It’s a testament to the strengths of the character where he can still be found so engaging after so many appearances. It’s not a rehash of the previous movies, and there are a lot of twists and turns (some more dramatic than others).

One of the major and welcome additions to the Iron Man series is the more memorable villains. Ben Kingsly as the Mandarin is a scene stealer and an unexpected take on the classic character. Guy Pearce is also memorable as the slimy Aldrich Killian, the head of A.I.M. who weaponized the Extremis enhancile. Speaking of which, it’s refreshing to see Iron Man up against super humans rather than armored knock-offs as in the previous films. It makes for different kinds of fight scenes that are interesting and new for these characters.

The movie is Tony-centric, dropping almost all references to S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Avengers (apart from the occasional remark), wisely keeping the focus on Tony Stark himself. To emphasis this, he’s often shown out of the armor – or in only a few pieces of it – during action sequences. A lot of fun is had with this, in one instance pitting Tony against thugs with only the aid of one gauntlet and boot. The same can be said for Rhodey (Don Cheadle), who’s given a new paint job for his War Machine armor. They call it the Iron Patriot, but it hardly gets any use from its pilot. Instead, Rhodey gets to shine out of the armor, showing his abilities in actions scenes without it. It’s in these actions scenes where even Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow) is given more to do, upgrading from her usual sideline position to a more central role.

Speaking of which, the action scenes are spectacular in this, highlighting just about everything that can be done with the armor. One of the most memorable is when Iron Man has to rescue a group of people falling from Air Force One. A lot of the scene was done using practical effects and real skydivers. It’s quick, intense, and a gripping sequence. The finale is also incredible, matching some of The Avengers in terms of scope and superhero action.

Given all that takes place in the movie, and at a fast moving pace, certain aspects are weaker than the rest. Rebecca Hall as Maya Hansen is probably the most underwhelming of the new characters, given a short arc that is resolved rather suddenly. She never feels like she played the role that the character was meant to, despite her apparent importance. This pace is also almost too fast for its own good, and the ending seems to gloss over various events that seem somewhat too important for a brief epilogue. These are relatively minor complaints, and are hardly noticeable while watching the movie.

In the end, Iron Man 3 is a fantastic and fun action adventure, topping its predecessor and reaching for the heights set by The Avengers. In many ways it succeeds, serving as an excellent starting point for the next batch of Marvel movies. It doesn’t quite match the first film, but makes for a more than satisfying conclusion to the trilogy.
on September 24, 2013
It had three or four rock solid Iron Man moments, and in between these moments it was pretty solid story. I was entertained. More story driven than the usual nonstop action, which, in my opinion, kind of gets old. I can't see where people who claim to like ;Iron Man; don't like it as much as part 2...? I didn't even watch 2 straight through. Iron Man 3 is solid Iron Man story and plot, but tailored and balanced for cinematic effect. I think it was well balanced, solid, Iron Man. Pretty cool action scenes. Stark seems to transform in this movie. It ebbs and flows a bit but by the ending you're feelin pretty good.

I like it when a movie's ending is entertaining enough to make me smile like a little kid. It also leaves you kind of feeling excited about what 'Iron Man' means from this point forward. The ending is dazzling. I'd like to say more but... Well worth the rental.

[One more point : Keep in mind that you are supposed to have seen the Avengers movie before you see Iron Man 3. Tony Stark is attempting to deal with the emotional fallout of what happened to him at the end of the Avengers movie, so, if you're kind of a shallow person you might not appreciate the 'depth' they were striving to give Stark / Iron man in this movie. I myself welcomed the inclusion of more depth and story for a change...but others seem to want the same old empty-brained effects movie void of any trace of substance...? I guess what I'm saying is that there was a real attempt to give Stark some authentic-humanity and human struggle as opposed to the usual, mindless, incessant bravado.]
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 15, 2014
Intense. That was the word I used to describe Iron Man 3's first trailer, and it's a description that stuck through the rest of the previews as they were released. It also aptly fit the movie itself. My poor husband was a sweetheart and let me squeeze the life out of his hand throughout the movie.

For being an intense film, there was a lot of humor neatly tucked in. It's always nice to be able to break a smile and chuckle, even if the next moment you're on the edge of your seat again.

Going into the movie I was particularly interested in Tony's character development. In Iron Man we see playboy, egotistical, billionaire start his transformation into something more. In Iron Man 2 we still have a narcissist who doesn't play well with others, but he has made improvements (after all, he is in a stable-ish relationship now). In Avengers he actually takes one for the team. I mean, the guy's come a long way! Honestly, I wasn't sure -- where do you go from here? where would they go?

The one thing that couldn't happen was for Tony to stagnate. We couldn't have the Iron Man, Iron Man 2, or the Avenger's Tony. We needed more. And we get more. Tony's still Tony - there's no question, but he certainly does not disappoint in his character development.

Another key point I was interested in was the relationship between Tony and Pepper. There's a lot in the previews to keep you wondering what happens here, and I think the scriptwriters did a pretty good job of not letting things get stale. They're in a different place in life than before, and we get to see how they react to current challenges and how that affects them as a couple. When an old wanna-be suitor and a former one-night stand show up, it's bound to effect something.

I didn't miss Rhodes in Avengers. He didn't belong, but I know a lot of people did miss him, and it was nice to see him back and him and Tony working so beautifully together, as always. One man can't go up against the Mandarin (a formidable and surprising villain) alone, and even a genius-soldier team need back-up.

Oh, for all of you who are dying to know about the special effects and explosions and what not... don't worry. There's definitely enough to go around and make you very happy. I won't say I didn't think some of it was over the top, but I didn't find it so excessive that it detracted from the rest of the movie.

I think this is the best Iron Man movie yet, but it's strength lies in the fact that its number 4 (watching Avengers before you see this film is a must). For Iron Man 3 to shine, it needs the other movies.

My review in one sentence? I'm glad we get to see less of the iron, and more of the man.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Definitely a disappointment. None of the humor, wit, or character development of the previous two. For the first time, I have to say the screenwriter(s) on this one were to blame, as, of course, was the director. This one comes off as the inevitable money grab, at which they certainly succeeded. This one, particularly with regard to Downey's dialog and interaction with other characters, including the young boy, were just rather... ugly. I have deliberately not looked up the screenwriter(s) names for this one and the prior movies, but I'd be willing to bet that they were different for this film than the first two. I bought this movie, unfortunately, thinking it'd be at least as good as the first two. But this one is really quite a downer - especially in the dialog department. Poorly written, poorly directed.
on February 26, 2014
Tony's legions of empty suits are a perfect metaphor for this film. Souless, gutless, and running on autopilot. Some will say that Marvel and the filmmakers took 'risks' within this film.

Allow me to tell you, they did not.

This film is very safe, very closed off and very, very stupid. Not mind bendingly stupid, as it does have some nice ideas and many funny jokes, but just plain old 'what was the point of that' stupid. They managed to turn Tony Stark into a character who is shown with having no flaws, and the ones we see in the film are either dropped or more or less fabricated for us. He's a 'jerk with a heart of gold' except the heart of gold is very forced and mostly tacked on and makes him look like a buffoon and a class clown without any of the heroics he displayed previously (aside from a few key trailer moments). And for all of their talk about the events of the Avengers film, they seem to forget what actually happened and why it mattered. And then they go and forget the effect it had on Tony about halfway through the movie.

And don't even get me started on the main villain. Actually, instead of saying what happened, as other reviews will surely detail that to you... imagine a football player about to score a touchdown. He's running down the track, no one seems to be able to catch him, and you cheer him on because WOW, is he awesome! And then someone else, some guy you never seen before but know has a really bad attitude trips our guy, steals the ball, and finishes the run. Yeah, disappointing.

All the characters have become mere extensions of Tony instead of actual characters, but they do help make up for some of the stuff Tony doesn't do, like actually fight the main villain (who I am not calling the Mandarin for various reasons). Or, you know, caring about the situation.

The special effects are pretty great, however, but are sometimes wasted, especially at the end. We get all of these cool and crazy suit designs, many of which are homages to Iron Man's other suits from the comics... and they just sort of zoom by the screen in a flash and then explode. Yeah, again, disappointing.

Perhaps the entire movie can be summed up as "Sometimes cool, but mostly just disappointing." It had the potential to be a very meaningful and fun movie, packed with superheroics and character development and moving things along for Stark and co... instead, it's a very stale, very 'been there' kind of movie that starts out with a bang and ends with a cheap trick and cheesy one liner. It starts out with Tony feeling like the walls are closing in and ends with him apparently giving into those walls for no reason, and then acts like that was never the problem in the first place even though it was? And that's not even counting the actual themes contained within, which are just as confused and muddled as the main villain's character and motivations. And just as half-baked.

Anyway, I'd recommend Iron Man 3 to anyone who doesn't care about the Iron Man character, his history or stories within action movies. If you just want to turn your brain off and have a few laughs and half of a very good flick, then you might get some joy out of this!
on January 15, 2014
I grew up in the 60's and was never much of a comic book fan (I read fast so didn't feel I got much bang for the buck) but Marvel's Saturday morning cartoons gave me all I needed on these characters. Iron Man was always a favorite and I thought IM 1 & 2 were excellent. Robert Downey owns the Tony Stark role and really makes these movies worth seeing. Like other reviewers I dislike when these contemporary films feel the need to stray from the source material. I accepted in IM #1 that Tony revealed his identity as Iron Man contrary to the comics, but in IM #3 they've gone too far. The Mandarin was a formidable foe now reduced to a joke. The ending where Tony has surgery to remove the shrapnel threatening his damaged heart and with it the need for the arc reactor (which he tosses into the sea at the end) is bewildering. Why didn't they operate before if they could? Speaking of the arc reactor, it was the power for the suits, so how is Iron Patriot powered (Rhodes doesn't have a reactor in his chest) or all those remotely operated suits? Not sure where they're going with this but I'm worried they'll ruin the franchise (James Bond anyone?). Another disappointment for me was the lack of Iron Man in this film, Tony is outside the suit for much of this story. Why these recent superhero adventures choose to have the key character moviegoers pay to see not appear on the screen is beyond me. The last Batman movie probably the worst example of this trend; when I go to see a movie about Batman, sort of expect to see Batman on screen, not Bruce Wayne nursing a herniated disc in a dungeon for half the movie. Oh well, RDJ makes it fun and it's visually impressive. Hoping for more on Avengers 2.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...