Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Format: Audio CDChange

on August 29, 2006
After the profound impact of the David Rawlings produced "O.C.M.S.," to my music collection, my pre-order of "Big Iron World" came with pretty high expectations. I've listened to it three times since receiving it in the mail last night and though it doesn't sport tracks with the immediate staying power of "Wagon Wheel," "Big Iron World" does pull some wonderfully surprising punches. Though he doesn't capture OCMS's live act at it's fullest (and who really could), Rawlings' production once again manages to maintain OCMS's authenticity and pushes their "old-time" music into the modern area, without a hint of the tacky, over-produced, artificial, gimmicks, heard on other neo-bluegrass records.

"Big Iron World" is not an album stuck in history, or looking to bite of the accomplishments of the past. With "Big Iron World," OCMS once again displays its own sound, pushing the limits of bluegrass/county/rock/punk/folk forward, while paying its respect and harkening back to the fables of Woody Guthrie, the picking of Muleskinner and the late 60's albums of Dylan. Moreover, the songs of "Big Iron World" comprise a complete body of work. The pro-union, "Union Maid" and folksy "James River Blues" are the standout tracks on an album that works as a whole, with each song complementing the next. As with all of OCMS's albums, "Big Iron World" is a breath of fresh air in comparison to most other albums put out by artists of a similar age. They have put together a great collection of songs to be enjoyed by fans of numerous genres.
0Comment29 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2007
Having only really listened to the most recent previous album, I didn't know what to think of Big Iron World at first; it seemed quite a bit more bluesy than O.C.M.S., and I wasn't sure the change was for the better. After a dozen or so times through, though, I've got to say, they've got an uncanny ability to bring even a reluctant audience around.

There are a few songs on the album that I still don't love: Down Home Girl has a pretty monotone, repetitive sound; Union Maid is too obviously a throw-back; and Bobcat Tracks is just hokey.

Now that I got my complaints out, though, what a great album. My Good Gal is reminiscent of my favorite Louvin Brothers song (Knoxville Girl); New Virginia Creeper demands dancing; and I Hear Them All is up there with the best of American folk political protest songs. Just a great time, great musicians, and I wish they'd come play live in New England.
VINE VOICEon October 14, 2006
Having already bough and loved the last OCMS record I was expecting to love this and was not disappointed. While this is bluegrass, old timey music it is also inexplicably modern. Loving bluegrass will no doubt help you love this album, but I also think it is good for anyone who like good lyrics and strong, different instrumental. If you usually like rock or even punk you'd probably like this album. A great album to add to your music collection.
on September 5, 2006
OCMS is one of the best albums I've purchased in years. Old Crow has a unique sound with a little bit of folk, blues, roots, bluegrass, jugband....nothing else compares. I was eagerly awaiting this album and am definitely satisfied. Old Crow is a band you must see live...heard most of these songs last December in Nashville. The catchy tune "God's Got It" has been ringing in my head ever since that show, now I've got it.
on November 17, 2006
I just got this CD and can't stop listening to it. I didn't think it was possible for them to top the OCMS album, which is just outstanding, but they've done just that. After just one listen, I felt like I had been listening to this album for years and yet with every listen I hear something new. This is down-home, foot tappin', front porch, mountain music at its best. "James River Blues" grabs your soul and in my mind is this album's rival to Wagon Wheel from the first disc and worth the price alone. "Bobcat Tracks" is Dylanesque. "Down Home Girl" reminds me of Mayall's "The Turning Point". While certain songs clearly show their influence, this CD is nothing if not original.
on September 23, 2006
"Eutaw" was a good album, but poor sound quality. It did not allow you to fully experience the greatness of Old Crow.

"O.C.M.S." was an unbelievable album that turned a lot of people into serious fans and left us wanting more.

"Big Iron World" is their best album yet. I hope the boys keep putting out this foot-tapping, smile-producing goodness for many years to come.

I keep turning my friends onto Old Crow, and would seriously recommend any of their albums to anyone who likes to jam.
on August 31, 2006
Just got the CD yesterday from Amazon. I was also fortunate enough to see them live last night in louisville. As other people have said this CD does not contain as many up tempo songs as OCMS. With songs like Union Maid and I hear them all the CD seems to reflect their folk music roots more. Now that they have experienced some success with OCMS, I wondered if they would produce songs that sound a bit more mainstream. They certainly didnt sell out with this CD, to my delight they remained true to their signature bluegrass/folk/jugband sound that fans have grown to love. Support the band and order the CD.
on September 15, 2006
As I listened to this CD today for the first time it brought back memories of one of the BEST all time bands, The Grateful Dead. The CD reminds one of Jerry Garcia and Company ! Even the song titles of Cocaine Habit, Minglewood Blues, New Virginia Creper, and Don't Ride That Horse are so Dead Like. The opener, Down Home Girl starts the listener on the road that one does not want to end. OCMS you have one of the finest CDs out there. I am sure I will play it over and over and can't wait till your next release !!!
on November 3, 2006
I'd have rated another album that was just more of the same from O.C.M.S as worthy of 5 stars, but this album actually keeps moving forward from that one and from their earlier work. As reviewers have noted, there is a really interesting mix of traditional and timely on this album - the songs (both their origials and their covers) are firmly rooted in the string band/American folk music tradition that the Crows revere, but at the same time their interpretations, their playing, and their lyrics are relevant to 2006. I'd go see them every time they came to town even if they always did the same old stuff, but it is that much more exciting that they are growing as musicians and songwriters.
on February 17, 2007
A stellar effort by one of the great young old time bands of their time. Uptemp furious strummers like "cocaine habit" provide plenty of energy while southern church revival tunes like "god's got it" provide depth and feeling. There's not a weak track on this album; while there is no single outstandingly strong song a la wagon wheel (save maybe down home girl) the overall just-plain-goodness of this album gets it five stars.