I did quite a bit of research on inversion tables in this price range. I chose this one because it has a solid back, molded ankle holders, and it folds up. So, I made the purchase and crossed my fingers. Now that I have been using it for a few weeks I am certain that I made the best choice. It was not hard to assemble like many other reviews who bought other brands have mentioned. The solid back is very comfortable, and I use the lumbar pillow for added comfort. It does not fold up very much, and is not easy to move on carpet, but that is a matter of friction and has nothing to do with this well made machine. It is a very solid device, and I have no worries of malfunction or getting hurt. The recommendations for use that comes with the manual are conservative and make sense. The molded ankle holders are very comfortable. Many reviewers of other tables talk about the discomfort of the rollers, and the need to wear boots or to buy additional gravity boots to use in place of the rollers. Not the case here. In fact, I often use it without shoes, and I find that I don't have to tighten the ankle holders to a point of discomfort. The release is very easy to opperate as well. I can't think of one complaint, and I highly recommend this product,
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 16, 2009
I ordered two of these initially, one for myself and one as a gift. The first one became mine and it works great!

Here is my product review, but please read the rest for important information about the company (*at the time of this review September 2009)

PROS:
-Easy to install(took about 30 minutes)
-Easy to use. Leg locks are comfortable and were a selling point to me over the other types of leg holders on different inversion tables. I don't feel like I am going to fall at all, and the table itself is very heavy and sturdy.
-The price is good compared to other tables. I have found that on some other brands they have the other style leg holders and people wind up spending another $100 on gravity boots that hold your legs the way that this one does right away.
-My back feels awesome! .. it's like not having legs for 10 minutes. The feeling carries on afterwards too, so it isn't just a quick fix. I go on this before bed, or if I have a stiff back and it goes right away.

CONS:
-It's heavy.
-It's big when folded up, so at best it will be leaning against a wall versus under a bed
-Good luck moving it someplace by yourself, even if it is folded up. The table swings
-The one I bought for my friend arrived damaged .. the button that you press to release and lock your legs into place was broken inside the box when it arrived. I ordered a replacement and guess what .. THE REPLACEMENT ARRIVED WITH THE SAME PART DAMAGED! It looks like it is due to the placement of the part when they packaged it and I am sure the delivery men aren't kind to it since it is big and heavy and awkward. I have opted not to chance this again and am getting a refund on that one and keeping the other because it isn't worth the hauling the huge thing back and forth and waiting for replacements again that may or may not be broken and also for the reason listed below.

**As of this writing, the manufacturer of the product is bankrupt and the warranty on my BRAND NEW inversion table is VOID. Another company bought out the name, but they are not supporting these products. Again this is as of September 2009 .. .. do your own research regarding this situation prior to purchasing because I cannot post particulars in the review section, but currently I personally don't have a warranty on the product I just purchased**
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 22, 2012
I received my Ironman Gravity 4000 a few days ago. Before I discuss the actual product, I want to include a few words about the packaging. The box arrived torn completely open on one end. Possibly, UPS was more to blame, but if the manufacturer had chosen to use double wall, heavy duty corrugated, it might not have torn. Once I opened the box, I found that cheap Styrofoam was used to secure the parts in place. At least, that must have been the idea. By the time I received the package, the Styrofoam had disintegrated into millions of tiny pieces. Once released, the Styrofoam bits took on a life of their own and invaded every nook and cranny of my Family Room. It took me hours to clean up the mess. Despite the Styrofoam padding, the heavy metal parts had all shifted around inside the box resulting in some damage including dents, broken plastic parts and one sheared-off screw. I emailed the manufacturer to obtain replacement parts, and they answered my email right away. A few days later, I received a large box (very well packed this time) containing all of the replacement parts I had requested, and more - All for free. Definitely major points in Ironman's favor for the quick response and excellent customer service.

Once assembled, the Gravity 4000 seems to be a good, solid inversion table. It does what it is supposed to do and actually performs very well. I have no doubt that it will actually support 350 lbs as advertised. I do have some concerns. First is that the two primary pivots are just metal-to-metal. There are no ball bearings or any type of real pivoting mechanism. Despite that, the table seems to pivot well enough. I just wonder how long a system like this will last. Another concern would be with the plastic bushings around the main shaft. I'm not sure how long they will last either.

Within a week after buying my Ironman table, a local Sporting Goods store ran a close-out special on Teeter Hang-Ups' NXT-R Inversion Table. The price was very good and the unit was so attractive, that I went ahead and purchased it. Now, I have two Inversion Tables. That either makes me stupid or a good little consumer. Either way, my Family Room is getting a little crowded.

A few words about the Teeter Table: The difference in quality of packaging alone made a huge impression on me. It is obvious that Teeter's packaging was carefully thought out. The individual pieces were in plastic bags and the inside of the box was blocked out with corrugated dividers. Unlike the situation with Ironman's packaging, none of the parts in the Teeter box were damaged. Teeter also includes a DVD which details the assembly process and contains lots of information on using the table as well as general tips for taking care of your back. That's a nice little added feature, but you do pay for it.

Since, for the time being, I have two inversion tables in my home, I have been able to do a side by side comparison. Here's what I found: The Ironman's ratcheting ankle holder is definitely easier to use and more comfortable than Teeter's system. It has a long handle and you don't have to bend over as far or exert as much energy to lock it in place. As for overall construction, the metal parts are well made and the unit feels exceptionally sturdy. I am concerned that the plastic parts (bushings & spacers) might be easily damaged. As stated earlier, several of these parts were already damaged when I opened the box. I am hopeful that all of the plastic components will hold up well over several years, but only time will tell.

The Teeter unit appears to be a high quality item from the minute you open the box. (Good packaging makes a real impression on me). The only thing I wound up changing on the Teeter was the ankle holder & main shaft assembly. The original ankle holder was just a foam covered bar. When I tried to use the table, the bar put so much pressure on the top of my feet, I could only use the table for a few minutes before having to get off to relieve the pain. Ultimately, I contacted Teeter and was able to "buy" a replacement main shaft with an upgraded, ratchet style ankle holder similar to the Ironman system. Teeter's customer service wasn't nearly as accommodating as Ironman's. They charged me $100 plus $30 shipping for the replacement shaft. I was hoping their 5 year warranty would cover the replacement, but no such luck. They do offer a partial refund if I go to the trouble and expense of shipping the original assembly back to them. After resolving that one issue, I'm now much happier with the Teeter. The Teeter's construction and function are all top notch, but again, you pay more, so the quality is expected. The Teeter that I frequently see advertised on TV appears to be a lower grade unit than the NXT-R model that I bought.

One other thing that I should mention is price. The Ironman Gravity 4000 table retailed for under $200 on Amazon. The Teeter table that I bought locally retailed for well over $400 (I got it at a close-out price of $279). Add to that, the $130 I paid for a new main shaft & ankle holder and I now have over $400 invested in my Teeter table.

My conclusion is this: Ironman makes a very good inversion table. For less that half the price of the Teeter, the Ironman table seems like the logical choice. Actually, I have no real regrets about buying either table, but Ironman definitely gives you more for your money. Teeter's 5 year warranty and overall quality are great, but remember, you pay dearly for Teeter's extra features. Also, Ironman's customer service was happy to replace my damaged parts without any warranty concerns. For now, I'm going to keep both tables. I'm still trying to decide which one I like better. I can say that even after replacing the ankle holder on the Teeter, I am more comfortable on the Ironman table for longer periods of time.

I'm not sure if this review will help anyone decide between the two tables. In my opinion, you won't go wrong with either brand, but the Ironman is definitely a better deal.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 24, 2009
I have had chronic back pain since 1983 and been unwilling to take a risk on back-surgery. Fortunately, a year into my issue I saw an inversion machine at Montgomery Ward. I mounted the machine right in the showroom and the immediate pain-relief prompted me to buy the floor model.

This has kept me going for the past 25 years, until the machine finally wore out from time and infrequent use. Infrequent, because inversion therapy works so well that I could go many months (sometimes a year) without having to hang.

When my old table began to get rusty and the main supporting pins a bit suspect, I began my search for a new machine. Sturdy construction was uppermost on my mind and this table has that to spare. Every part exudes strength and precision, which is important when you're hanging upside down and a breaking part could cause some serious, permanent damage.

Assembly was easy and logical and took no more than 30 minutes, even at the slow pace I had to take due to back pains induced by some recent home-improvement projects. Typically, lifting heavy objects is what brings on back-attacks (as I call them). I was skeptical about the foot-clamp at first, but find it to be comfortable and extremely easy to use at a critical time. I always hated having to put on the boots from my previous machine, while in pain. The extra-long handle on the foot clamp is one of its best features. Bending over even slightly is difficult when in pain, but this machine makes that a breeze.

What attracted me to this model was: 1. Strong construction to handle my weight (295 lbs). 2. Ease of physically moving the machine into position to use from its stored configuration. 3. Not having to bend over too much to get the foot-clamp on.

This machine satisfies all expectations and then some. The back board is very comfortable, the foot-clamp is great and the machine transitions smoothly from upright to inverted position. In addition, there is no wobble when standing on the foot rest/foot clamp. The extra long side-handles give you complete control over how far you will invert and make it easy to return upright at any time. Even though the table is heavier than my old one, the large plastic feet make it easy to slide around to get it in position to use. 10 minutes of hanging and my back pain subsided to a tolerable level.

If you haven't used an inversion machine, take it slow and follow the instructions provided with the machine. These, however, don't make mention of an important fact; after hanging for a few minutes, exit the machine and sit down in a chair that doesn't pinch the offending nerve(s). Better yet lie down in a position that allows the back to relax. You only need to do this for a few minutes, just to let your spinal column reposition itself after being stretched.

The key to managing back pain is to understand that after you reach physical maturity your nerves don't grow any longer, but they are designed to stretch as your body moves around. When they get pinched you have to move them from the source of the pinching. This you can do by stretching your body so that the injured nerve-sheath is moved beyond the point of contact with the vertebra that causes your pain. Think of a rubber-band. It has a fixed length, but a variable diameter. Stretch the rubber (nerve) and it can contract away from the area that is pinching it. Allow it to heal a bit afterwards and you can manage your pain.

A neuro-surgeon once told me this (I contemplated back-surgery once-upon-a-time): "I can expose a nerve to the air and run my scalpel down it's length and my patient feels nothing. Yet, if I bruise the nerve, or pinch it with forceps, I merely have to breath on the injured area to cause excruciating pain." With that in mind, plus a simple understanding of nerve construction and a means to move the injured nerve out of the way, I have been able to manage this condition for a long time. This machine is what gives me control of my life back. May it do so for you as well.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 25, 2010
I received my inversion table two months ago. The item was delivered (via Free Super Saver Shipping) 8 days after the order was placed. Item arrived in excellent condition (via UPS). No parts arrived broken. There were some minor nicks in the outer delivery box. My son & I put the unit together in about 45 minutes. Table is simple to assemble, instructions very clear. All parts were present on delivery. Unit is extremely sturdy. Assemble this item in a place where it can stay. It is quite heavy and does not easily fold up for storage. You'll probably mess up your back if you try moving it once assembled. When using the table, the majority of your weight is applied to the top of your foot at the ankle, so a well padded shoe tongue is a help.
I am 55 years old, 6'-4" tall and about 225 lbs. I have had back problems for the past 5 years. There seems to be plenty of headroom at a more vertical position. I would think the unit will work for someone as tall as 6'7" (the adjustment scale goes up to 6'-8" - see pictures above). I have to set my scale to 6'5" to better balance the table for my center of gravity.
My condition/experience:
I have had 2 previous lower back operations. Ruptured disk at L3-L4 and pinched nerve with sciatica down the right leg. The sciatica has been particularly bothersome for the past 6 months. I also had lower back pain and pain in the left hip. The first week I started inverting with socks and sneakers on, but after a few weeks my feet became used to the pressure. Now I am completely comfortable inverting in bare feet. For the first week, I was using the inversion table twice a day at about a 40 deg incline. The back felt a little better so I increased the incline to about 70 degrees for about 15 - 20 minutes twice a day. After the second week my back actually started getting sorer, so I went back to a 40 degree incline for 2-5 minutes at a time. I was doing this once or twice a day. This seems to be all that I need for my back. A quick decompression for a short time works the best for me. My back/hip/sciatica problems have been gradually improving over the past 2 months.
Don't get discouraged if you don't see immediate improvement. Be patient and don't overdo it at the beginning. The very first time I used it, I felt this great feeling of stress release on my back, although the actual pain didn't change much. I have also found the table more comfortable to use without the lumbar pad in place.
The table has been a great investment. It is a quality item well worth the money. I've placed some customer pictures of my unit above. Caution: Do not sneeze while inverted.
review image review image review image review image review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 25, 2008
This is the first review I have ever written! I was diagnosed with a bulging disk L5 and had all the symptoms for 8 months. I've had 2 epidural injections and tried the chiropractor to no avail. The shots do help for a while. After the symptoms returned...sitting for a while causes great pain when I try to stand and walk, some pain down my legs, I decided to give one of these a try. Boy does it help. After getting on the table for a couple minutes several times a day for 3 days, I was able to play soccer 3 days later.

The Ironman is a quality product, well constructed, with easy assembly directions. Took me about 30 minutes, straight-forward. Ankle pads are durable and comfortable. Absolutely no complaints here.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 9, 2009
The Ironman Gravity 4000 is a very well-designed inversion table. It is also very sturdy and comfortable. I had the opportunity to try the less expensive Gravity 1000 model before ordering this one, and I am very glad I spent the extra $100 on the 4000.

The memory foam makes the back rest much more comfortable. Originally I thought I would primarily invert the full 90 degrees and therefore it wouldn't matter whether or not the back was padded. As it turned out, I found that I get better results only inverting about 60 degrees, and it is significantly less stressful on my joints, especially my knees, feet and ankles. The memory foam padding is therefore a very nice addition.

The other main difference is the improved ankle release which is a terrific upgrade in my opinion. If you have back problems and herniated discs, having an easy release that is higher up is much easier on your body after returning upright compared to having to bend over and pull, up as is required with the Gravity 1000. The ankle release on the Gravity 4000, on the other hand, requires a very light downward pressure on the knob to easily release one's ankles. Brilliant.

I use the Gravity 4000 Inversion Table several times a day for a few minutes at a time, and have already noticed a reduction in my sciatic and other pain.

The box was big and heavy, but I was home when it arrived and the UPS person helped me drag it inside. It took me about an hour to put it together myself. It would have been nice to have an extra pair of hands when I went to lift the padded back to place it on the frame, but other than that it wasn't difficult to manage by myself.

Make sure you search the web for contraindications before purchasing or using an inversion table. The Teeter site has a comprehensive list. People taking blood thinning drugs, or with heart and circulatory problems, joint problems, glaucoma and other eye problems, hiatal or ventral hernias, high blood pressure, inner ear problems, previous history of stroke or transient ischemic attacks should not use an inversion table. That is not a complete list of contraindications. Please check with your health provider before inverting.

One last thing... I had wanted to purchase from Amazon because it is my preferred online seller. I spent a week researching tables and reading reviews and looking at this table each day, but the day I went to purchase this table Amazon had raised the price $50. I ended up having to order it from another site for $50 less, and then a week later when I went to reference a review, the table was back down to the original price here. I don't understand why Amazon does that. Does the extra little temporary bump in price make up for lost sales? It's very frustrating. I prefer to shop at Amazon, but just couldn't wait for the price to come back down to a competitive price.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 1, 2008
After reading the reviews here on many models I've concluded that probably all models can do the job, but some are uncomfortable and/or flimsy. I needed one in the hurry to deal with a little back injury. I went to two stores, tried three different models/brands and they were all pretty tough on the ankles. Two of them cost more than this model. I've ordered the 4000 and while I was waiting for it to arrive I went back to one of the stores twice more just to relive the pain in my back and legs.
Then the real thing arrived (fast!!). It went together in a snap and works like a charm. No discomfort on the ankles or lower back at all. My back symptoms are gradually improving and the only thing limits my time spent on this table is the caution about the potential blood pressure buildup in the head. I don't know if that's a real danger for me or not, but better be safe than stupid, I guess. The ankle cuffs and the locking mechanism are far superior to anything I've seen. Great product, I'm glad I've bought it.
on September 22, 2008
I hadn't seen this product in person, but after reading the reviews, I decided to take a chance on it.

I had used another brand inversion table for several months that had been loaned to me and was told it cost several hundred dollars. I've got to say that this Ironman Gravity 4000 Inversion Table is far superior to that other one..

The assembly was almost a no brainer, with easy to follow instructions. The only thing I didn't find in the instructions was how to release the locked ankle brace. I ended unscrewing the knob at the top of the lever and opening the brace up and then re-screwing the knob on. Then it worked perfectly.

I love the 2 inch memory foam back! It is really comfortable. Another great feature is the quick release ankle guard. Like all other inversion tables, this machine is adjustable for your height. And like another reviewer did, I also adjusted the height 2 inches taller that I am.

This is a great inversion table, and if you are wondering which one to buy, I would get this one. The Ironman is very sturdy and should last many years.
on May 10, 2008
Ironman Gravity 4000 Inversion Table

Easy to assemble, excellent quality. The ankle cuffs hold you in much better than a roller would.

The only drawback for me is to fold it up you must disassemble the table and boom from the frame. Even that is not too much as you only remove two screws.

Is helping my posture and some pain relief. My back problems are extensive so it is too early to rate the overall benefits.

I highly reccommend this product!

6-15-08 UPDATE: Beneficial in lowering my pain levels. My posture has significantly improved. I may not need ablation surgery due to the benefits of this equipment.