Irony? "Freedom" IS just one word...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 15, 2008 3:13:22 AM PDT
Bash says:
In the first Chapter, Maher says that Kris Kristopherson is "neither following the rules of math or grammar" because "Nothing left to lose" is four words, not one.

Is Maher being ironic here? Because the way I (!) understand the English language, "Freedom is just another word for 'nothing left lo lose'" implies that the word "Freedom" has another meaning, and the MEANING is "nothing left to lose". Said "nothing left to lose" is NOT the word.

Honestly, this kind of idiotic error in judgment by Maher ruined almost all of the rules he makes up.

It's like his comparison between male and female child molestation on one of this stand-up routines where he says that a woman molesting a male child would not be the same as a man doing this to a female child, for he himself would've loved to not get beaten up when he was a child but instead "just molested" my a woman.

To me it simply shows too often that Maher isn't thinking things through and aims for the cheap laugh. I guess that's also why all the conspiracy theorists flock to his program.

It cheapens the value of this book as well as "Real Time" that so many people tend to apply the same rules to his products as they do to the administration. They don't question anything. They laugh about his jokes because they don't even try to think about what they just laughed about just as they just believed that Al Qeda was in Iraq and that Saddam was responsible for 9/11 and that he had in fact storages of WMDs.

It annoys me to no end that Maher basically makes money off the same people he so vigilantly criticizes for being the reason for George W. Bush getting president and literally ruining the country.

Don't get me wrong. I love real time and the guests on the show in general are very bright and the discussions are interesting most of the time. But ever so often on "Real Time" just like on "The Daily Show", the audience behaves like a herd of trained seals, laughing and clapping at everything their beloved host says. It annoys me. And I hate it that errors like this obvious one ("freedom" not being one word) slipped by the lectorate.

It simply cheapens the value of the message, and somebody now and then should reign Maher in and tell him that there are things he simply can't say because it makes him look stupid.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  1
Total posts:  1
Initial post:  Oct 15, 2008
Latest post:  Oct 15, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
New Rules: Polite Musings from a Timid Observer
New Rules: Polite Musings from a Timid Observer by Bill Maher (Hardcover - July 26, 2005)
3.8 out of 5 stars   (230)