Industrial Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL

on February 9, 2014
I was at a local hardware store and picked up a couple of the Irwin GrooveLock pliers in a 2-pack. I was very happy with them, so when I saw this set on a Gold Box deal, I picked them up.

Once received, I inspected them and realized that there are two different "levels" of Irwin tools..."regular" and "Industrial". These are "regular" so they aren't quite as good as the Industrial versions. This fault is really on me for not knowing the difference. I am no expert or professional, just a garage tinkerer and homeowner so I am going to keep them because for my use, they will last me the rest of my life and they do have a lifetime warranty.

I would say these are 85% the quality of the Industrial line but bear in mind I can only compare the GrooveLock pliers (and not the rest of the tools in this set) as I now have both versions to compare. The quality is evident between the two when you put them side-by-side. It is noticed throughout the tools in the thickness of the material overall, the design assembly, the machining work, the grip cushion material, etc. Still, I am sure they will do me just fine. However if you are spoiled by the quality and craftsmanship of the Industrial line, you might not want to get this package deal if you are expecting these to be 100% the same.

If these were all tools from their Industrial line, I would have given them 5 stars at any fair price but I cannot find this set in that configuration. The storage roll is handy and decent which is a good bonus.
on June 12, 2012
These tools get the job done. Compared to other similar tools (Channellock TOOLROLL-3 5-Piece Plier Set in Handy Tool Roll and Husky) they have more metal. They also have larger plastic grips.

My main gripe is the big grips. They feel childish with the goofy plastic handles. It can be difficult to work with them, especially in tight spaces, given the size of the handles. Given the choice of these or a set of Channel Locks, I'd choose the channel locks, which have a more balanced feel, and less excess bulk.

The pouch is very nice, and allows you to keep them all rolled up together. This would be great for a car trunk or truck mounted toolbox, but isn't as practical if you have a tool chest, box, or bucket where the roll just takes up excess space.

All things considered, these are nice tools that get the job done. The set has most of what you need to keep in the car, around the house, or at the office in order to deal with most minor fixes. I'm not a tradesman but do use these a lot and would say the utility of the set and having all the tools easily accessible overcomes the cheap feel of the grips.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2013
I got my set from Warehouse Deals where it was repackaged but a complete bargain.
This set includes most of the things you need as parts of a tool kit.I supplemented this with a few other Irwin tools.

I normally buy Crafstman (or when the budget allows Snap-on) tools. These tools are every bit as good quality as the Craftsmans.
This is a good selection of tools, Three channel locks might be a bit overkill (but see recommended supplements below)
All the tools have an excellent low impact grip on them. I was a bit skeptical about this at first but it's been great
The Channel Locks have an interesting sliding mechanism. It's unlike the traditional ones but it works extremely well. I haven't had it not be great yet.

Like I said, three Channel Locks is probably a bit much, perhaps including Vice-Grips would have been better.
They're not light tools, on account of being, you know, metal

Recommended Supplements;
A three pack of Vice-Grips
A set of adjustable wrenches (in all sizes)
A set of screwdrivers
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2014
Let me start by saying if you are not a pro, you will enjoy working with these tools a great deal. However if you are a pro then you should buy tools that are specialized for a specific trade. For instance the pliers are great all-around pliers, but if you are an electrician, you will probably do better getting a Knipex.

I purchased these tools at a phenomenal price. For the price I paid, these should get 4 stars ($60) however at the current price of $89, you may want to forgo getting all these tools and narrow the selection down to fewer tools from a mix of manufacturers. Inevitably, what makes any bundle a great deal is if you don't already have most of these in your toolbox, but if you do, then do you really need a third set of pliers, wire snips , etc..? Odds are no, you don't; so just exactly what kind of deal are you getting for something you don't have a need for? Besides, you can always put your own rollup sleeve bundle together by buying the a tool-pouch separately. (search Amazon for "rollup tool pouch")

The Good.
These tools quality are better than a notch above the Husky brand at Home Depot for roughly the same price. the grips will never come off, this means you can really trust the tools to do what they are supposed to do for high strength tasks. The fused handles are probably the best part of these tools. The rollup protective carry case is of high quality. This price (even at $89) is a good deal vs buying all these separately from a tool shop. The rollup pouch alone is probably worth around $25 on its own.

The Bad.
The forged Steel alloy is subpar as compared to other high end tools, this by itself is not a travesty, but if you are a pro like an electrician who snips wires for a living, you will probably be better off getting your pliers from you know who.

The Ugly.
Nothing really, the only negative I found with this set is that there should really be 2 rollup pouches, the single pouch becomes too heavy to carry so many tools at once.

If you don't have most of these tools in your toolbox, then by all means buy them.
on January 28, 2014
Ever since the original Vice Grips tools started carrying this current Irwin brand name, I have found the quality to be very poor, compared to the Vice Grips I own (about 8 of them) from years past. The steel seems really cheap and the locking mechanisms don't work solidly. Sorry, maybe if I had never owned some of the original Vice Grips I wouldn't know or care. But I do and I do. This is the kind of thing that has caused the Sears Craftsman brand to die a slow death too.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2012
These tools are functional but are low cost/moderate quality Chinese imports. If you love good tools, you will be better off spending more for a better quality set.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2006
I added up the individual prices and came to about $110, but buying this set you get the roll-up case, which is very nice, indeed. Add a set of screwdrivers and you have yourself a self-contained tool set....
review image review image
on April 6, 2010
I've over the years had a variety of pliers and many have been misplaced. This is probably the nicest set I've owned and the fact that everyone of them has a place in the case hopefully means I won't lose them in the near future.

The groove lock pliers in particular can be adjusted at the touch of a button, but hold their position solidly when the button is released. This will make it easier than the ones in the past where they always seemed to slip and not able to hold their size easily. In addition the case is nicely made, having deep pockets and the elastic loops are a great idea for keeping everything in place. I look forward to getting years of use out of this set.
on March 12, 2014
I purchased the 8" Irwin Groove Locks separately about six years ago and use them all the time. They are awesome. When I saw this set on deal I did not hesitate to purchase them. These tools are very well made and the groove locks are awesome. I'm not sure why anyone would say these are cheaply made because they are certainly not. The pouch it comes with is heavy duty as well. The only thing I noticed is that a couple of them are polished steel and began to show some rust spots. I live one the beach so that is a normal thing for me. I would recommend hitting the polished tools with some WD-40 when you get them just to start the seasoning process and keep them rust free.

These tools are so well made I do not expect to ever buy another unless I loose one. You really really get more than you expect with these.
on January 28, 2014
Even though I did not purchase this pliers set here at Amazon I have them at work. I am an industrial mechanic by trade and this set is one of my favorite tools. The grips are nice and feel very comfortable while not losing any power or durability. I've had tools with nice grips that are just junk. These really hold up and take a beating. The yellow on the grips gets dirty very easy but can be cleaned with a scrub (scrub-in-a-bucket) to keep them looking new. I have nothing really negative to say about these tools. Add a screwdriver, hammer, and a set of ratchet wrenches to this set and you are all set to do some mechanical repairs!