Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: A Is for Adam: The Gospel from Genesis
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: Spiral-bound|Change

on December 4, 2011
A whole new twist to the ABCs!

A is for Adam by Ken & Mally Ham quite creatively facilitates a parent (or grandparent) helping a child learn the gospel in a way that they can actually comprehend it.

I must say, I am quite impressed with how well my six-year-old son grasps and even teaches back to me the truth of why Jesus had to come and die in our place---many thanks to this well-formatted book.

Ken and Mally Ham have structured this book to tell the true Gospel as it is initiated in the book of Genesis. Each letter of the alphabet corresponds with a word that is used in a rhyming sentence displayed on a colorful cartoon picture that illustrates the content of the sentence. Additionally, on the "adult's" side of the flip-chart, tent-like book, there is a simple but thorough guide for discussing that specific, important Gospel content with your child.

There are even FREE downloadable coloring versions of the artwork from this book for you child's enjoyment!

The sections on the discussion side of the book include:

- Let's Read (a verbatim copy of the sentence the child is seeing and reading on their picture)
- The Starting Point (a concise discussion-starter statement which further introduces the point of this page)
- Bible Bits (a bulleted list of short truthful statements for the child to repeat after the adult)
- Let's Talk! (a bulleted list of short discussion points and questions to help the child further comprehend)
- Always Remember (a brief, truth-filled recap phrase for the child to repeat back)
- Visual Vocabulary (a guide for having the child find things in the picture that begin with the letter of the page and identify other specific things from the picture)
- Stuff To Do (a section of suggestions of how to further learn/teach about this content in tangible ways including more discussion points as well as craft projects)
- Quick Review (a short bulleted list of questions to ask the child to help them further grasp the content)

My son actually begs me to read this with him! He loves to sit on his side to look at the main pictures and read the sentences that are on those pictures while I sit on my side of the book and lead him in a discussion about that specific picture.

Again, I love to hear the responses he shares in the discussions. So much so, I think I will let you in on a bit of our conversations as we were going through A is for Adam together.

Question from "Stuff To Do" section of D is for Dinosaurs page was "What do you do when you feel lonely?"
- My son's answer, "Just go on top of the roof and sleep and spend the night until I can find a family."
- WHAT?! Where in the WORLD did He get that from?! LOL! He has never been on our roof, nor does he have any way to get there. And, yes, he does have a family...a very close and loving family, I might add. ;)

When discussing Satan the serpent on the G is for Ghastly page, my son says, "Sometimes I listen to Satan."
- I ask, "What does he say to you?"
- He responds, "He tells me that my mom and dad are lying to me, but I enore (ignore) him and I fight him in my heart. And, I call him a 'Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire.'"

So, if you have a child in your life or the life of a loved one whom you think would benefit from understanding more about the Gospel, then I highly suggest you get your hands on a copy of A is for Adam!

Disclaimer: I received this book for free from New Leaf Publishing Group - Master Books. No other compensation was received. The fact that I received a complimentary product does not guarantee a favorable review.
on December 27, 2011
There is nothing better to get a preschooler or kindergartner's attention than a big colorful flip board! I was so excited when I saw A is for Adam! It is a homeschooler's dream! This colorful BIG flip board book covers the alphabet from A to Z using the book of Genesis to correlate a story to each letter. Of course it begins with Adam and it goes all the way through "Z is for Zip, so quick will it be, When Jesus comes back for you and for me." Each letter is given a full size colorful illustration and a "quick guide" for discussion, verses, questions, activities, etc. If you want to expand this beyond PreK or K, there is an additional page of discussion and more for each letter.

The more I explore this teaching tool, the more excited I get! The possibilities for using this to learn are endless. This resource is perfect for homeschool, Sunday school, before bedtime devos, and more! If your child isn't quite ready to learn letters yet, use this to introduce the beautiful illustrations and stories from Genesis. With all the activities, discussion ideas, and more, this book will last you a long time. Once Speedy is reading, I will use it for daily short readings for him since the wording on the pictures is only a sentence or two.

Master Books brings us so many great homeschool resources and this is just another fine example!

I received this book for the purpose of review. I was not required to write a positive review and all opinons are my own.
on June 30, 2012
Growing up under typical Sunday school fare, many children view the Bible as a bunch of disjointed stories with moral rules to obey. The aim of A Is for Adam is to introduce children to the theme of Scripture--the gospel--by displaying it from the very first book of the Bible. The historical account of Genesis explains how God created the world; how man is created in the image of God; how sin came into the world, bringing suffering and death; and how God promised to send a Savior, the only way of salvation.

Published by Master Books of New Leaf Publishing, this spiral flip-top book is designed so that the child can see the picture and rhyme, while the parent can view the teacher's guide with a summary, biblical principles, discussion points, activity ideas, review questions, and more. The 26 lessons cover each letter of the alphabet. With the additional teacher's resources at the end, the book is 77 pages.

Although likely not designed for such a young age, my one-year-old daughter loves this book with its colorful drawings and catchy rhymes. Here is an example:

"M is for Moan, what a mess sin did make.
Thorns, thistles and death, and cursed ground for man's sake.
God had to judge sin. He's so holy and pure,
But God is so good, He provided a cure."

Don't be surprised if you quickly memorize all the letter rhymes just through regular reading. My daughter likes to turn the pages, so the book has had some wear and tear, but it's still holding up with some tape jobs. Covering Genesis 1-11, this book begins with the creation and Fall of man, continues with Noah's Ark, and ends with the Tower of Babel and a flash forward to the Consummation of history.

"Z is for Zip, so quick it will be,
When Jesus comes back for you and for me.
If our name is found in the `Lamb's Book of Life,'
We'll sure live forever in a place with no strife."

**I received a complimentary copy of this course from the publisher for the purpose of my impartial review.**
on November 18, 2013
I have used this book in my preschool aged Sunday School class and loved it. I do one page a week and print off the matching coloring pages. I found the coloring pages online. I started slowly, then each week we would review from the beginning of the book. It was wonderful that by the 6 or 8th week the young children would remember what we had learned the weeks before. On the backside of each page, there is a suggested lesson plan. Wonderful way to teach your children about Creation.
on October 22, 2012
A is for Adam is a wonderful book from Masterbooks that leads you on a journey through Scripture using Biblical lessons from A-Z. Each letter of the alphabet is visited and gives a Biblical lesson featuring each letter so you have 26 Bible based lessons to work through together. This new & improved edition of A is for Adam is designed in a flip-chart format which makes lessons a breeze. Written by Ken & Mally Ham, A is for Adam teaches the Gospel through rhyming text and vibrant illustrations that are appropriate for children of all ages. The lessons establish a solid Biblical foundation for children and present the very important question of salvation. The book ends with the question "Is your name written in the Lamb's book of life?" Our children have loved reading through this flip-chart book together every night. It has been fun for our older children to read it to their younger brother and as they have read, my husband and I have been able to answer any questions they may have from what they are learning. Best of all, if I want to teach it to them myself, the easy to use flip-chart format keeps their attention while I am teaching as well. My husband and I also work with the Preschool & Children's ministries at church and this would be a wonderful resource to use when we are teaching their classes as well. This wonderful book also encourages learning by providing Core Truth Takeaways, Quick Reviews for Kids, memorization aids and much more. There are even FREE downloadable versions of the artwork that you enjoy in this book.
on November 25, 2012
I use many different books when working with children and this one is a nice addition, however, parts of it would be confusing to children. For example, "G is for Ghastly" and "U is for Utterly" and a number of other ones that would be difficult for children to relate to and connect to the message Ken Ham is writing about of Adam and Eve in the garden.
on June 2, 2015
Giving this book two stars is generous. I admire what the authors were attempting to do through this book, but it seriously fell short of my expectations. I have to acknowledge that I didn't quite understand what I'd ordered. I thought I was getting an ABC book that used words from the Bible. After realizing what I'd really bought, I gave it a chance, but here's my beef: The illustrations are lacking (Is that a picture of a dog or a lamb? In "E" for Eve, she looks strangely masculine, etc.), but even more of a problem are the cheesey rhymes that are a bit of a stretch and sound like they were written by a grade-schooler. Yikes! Maybe I'm off and, obviously, some people feel this is a valuable resource, but, personally, I'm sending it back. I apologize to the authors for my harsh opinion, it's not personal and I appreciate the attempt. I just want people to have a better idea of what they're ordering.
on March 5, 2015
Oh this is wonderful! My son loves it! I love the teaching material on the back so he gets to look at the picture as I'm talking to him about biblical facts.

I wish it was not so weird in the pictures in areas but that aside its a great book!!
VINE VOICEon April 7, 2012
When the newly revised book, A is for Adam, by Ken and Mally Ham, came up as something I could review, my first thought was, "We already own the original (A is for Adam: The Gospel from Genesis), so this isn't something I need."

I'm excited that I got to review it anyway.

This 77 page book, directed at young children, consists of an ABC rhyming type of story about creation and the fall of man.

What is really fun about the new edition is that the hardcover book stands up, tent-style, so on one side is the illustration and the rhyming text. I can sit on the other side and see the text, plus a whole lot of ideas for discussion and some hands-on activities.

This material was in the original edition too, but it is so much easier to use in this new version.

My 6 year old really enjoys going through this book, and she has started to read her part of the book outloud, more or less (she still needs a fair amount of help!)

We really enjoy this cute book, and I am donating my original version one to the church, as that one is still perfectly usable as well.

Disclaimer: I received this book and one for a giveaway for free from New Leaf Publishing Group. No other compensation was received. The fact that I received a complimentary product does not guarantee a favorable review.
review image review image
on February 25, 2012
Great Book for answering questions, presenting the Gospel, and instilling a biblical world view in your children. I am a beliver in reading the actual Bible to your children daily. However, I also love resources like this. I'm a mom of two little ones. Both love this book. The only thing I would have preferred is that the front cover was a hard cover and not a paper one. But this is only a minor preference. I will just have to keep it put up away from their other books that they have access to on the book shelf, so that it won't get torn up! Otherwise its' excellent. I appreciate the flip style of this book. It makes for easier reading and teaching to more than one child at a time. You can show the children the page for them to look at and at the same time there is a page that faces you as the reader that tells you exactly what to read and what to discuss to go along with the page you're reading on. This is clever. It's great as a devotional and for homeschooling. It's also great just to read and introduce letters and new words. I can't say enough good things about this book.