Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation Learn more

Is BBM worth getting Blu-ray?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 5, 2010 10:38:50 AM PST
Is buying BrokeBack Mountain on Blu-ray worth buying? I have played my regular collector DVD version on my Blu-ray player and the picture is excellent. I am hesitant to get the BD if the picture is not that much more sharp and crisp.

Posted on Jan 11, 2010 11:14:30 AM PST
YES YES YES.
THE SCENERY IS BEAUTIFUL

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2010 2:30:55 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 17, 2010 2:42:11 AM PST]

Posted on Apr 4, 2010 10:30:17 AM PDT
Yes, absolutely, positively. Here's what I appended to my previous DVD review...

I've remarked in other reviews that the /only/ way to see a movie is /at home/, from an HD source on a big display (50" or larger). This couldn't be more true of "Brokeback Mountain".

I saw the film twice theatrically, at different theaters. Particularly with the indoor scenes, the projection print was a muddy mess, though I felt at the time it was appropriate to the film's atmosphere. The DVD struck me (and a few other people) as overly clean-looking.

The Blu-ray changes all that. We are now seeing (in effect) the camera negative, in high resolution. The most-significant improvement is not in sharpness and detail (though there are huge gains), but in tonality. The BD images truly capture what it's like to stand outside on an overcast day, or the feeling one has in someone's living room or kitchen. Annie Proulx says she writes stories about peoples' relationships with their environments (both physical and social), and the Blu-ray transfer captures Ennis and Jack's environments very well.

Though dramas do not generally benefit much from high definition, this one is an exception.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Jan 5, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 4, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about