Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: H is for Honor: A Military Family Alphabet
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Hardcover|Change

on May 2, 2007
This book has amazing full-page illustrations on every page for every letter of the alphabet. Each letter of the alphabet has a little poem to explain various military terms. Then, the sidebar for each letter contains additional information. For example the letter "A" page: the main text reads,

"Give me an A for Army, and an A for Air Force, too.

An A for all the Armed Services behind the red, white, and blue.

They stand at attention, tall and proud, all impeccably dressed.

An A for the American Armed Forces, an A for the world's very best."

The sidebar begins:

"The Armed Services of the United States protect our nation, its people, and its ideals. There are five branches that make up the United States military.

The U.S. Army is the main ground force for the United States. It's the largest and oldest branch of the service, founded in 1775...."

There are 4 more paragraphs on the other branches of the military for the letter A.

I highly recommend this book! My boys love it! (and I do, too!)
on September 23, 2007
I love the rhymes. I have bought one of these alphabet books for each state in which we have been stationed but this is the book I treasure. It obviously is written by someone who's been there.
on October 21, 2011
I purchased this book for my step-son who is turning 6 this month. His father is in the military and is currently deployed for a year. I couldn't have asked for a better book to send him. It is a large sized book with full color illustrations and AMAZING writing. Each letter represents an aspect of military life, and there are columns along the side that details what each aspect is really about. For example " Rise and Shine for the letter R, early every day. R is the sound of "Reveille, heard from miles away", on the side column on this page it talks about why the horn was used as communication for soldiers and goes on to talk about the tune Reveille, what it means, and why it is used. It talks about other tunes used throughout the day and why.

Readers are given inside information on all aspects of the military. Any child of the military can relate to everything presented in this fantastic book. Having a family member in the military is something to be proud of and this book shows all the reasons why. I was so impressed with this book, I bought another copy for myself! I will most certainly be picking up Devin Scillian's other books!
on May 25, 2012
I think I love this book more than my daughter!!! It should be issued to all military kids or families to help understand their lives and what their parent is apart of. I also learned a lot history wise from this book. It is one I will keep for as long as I can & I will be purchasing more and giving them out as gifts to friends & families to help them out also.
on January 5, 2015
A book that every military family with young children needs in their home. The author clarifies some of the "code" of the military life and celebrates the true heroes -- the moms and dads serving in the military. At the same time, the author is sensitive to the feelings of the children and how they feel when their parents are deployed. Well-written!
on January 20, 2016
I gave this book to my brother in law & family, he served in Iraq, they love it! He reads it to his two little boys, who are gaining an understanding, respect, & interest in the military. Great book, well written!
on July 18, 2010
Awesome alphapbet book honoring the military!H Is for Honor: A Millitary Family Alphabet (Alphabet Books)
on April 14, 2016
I really like this book. I read it frequently to students in my library. This order was to get a hardcover to replace my worn-out paperback I picked up at a book fair.

HOWEVER - the cover for this book was installed upside-down! Unfortunately, I didn't notice until after I placed labels on the spine and inside front cover, so I cannot return it. LESSON LEARNED: Inspect your purchases!!
on January 24, 2012
H is for Hurray! A book for young and old alike explaining what it's like to be a military family. I wish I'd had this when my kids were little. So glad that the youth of today have this amaing book. The center of attention is words for the young ones that rhyme. On the sides are more information for the older children and adults. It is my sincere hope that if you know someone who is a military family that you share this book with them. Maybe it wouldn't hurt for non-military families to read it too. You might get a better sense of what military families have to go through.
on August 16, 2013
I bought this for my grandson 2 years ago. He was at that age (2 and a half) where he was remembering everything. He had a really hard time with that particular deployment since dinner time meant daddy's coming home. Until daddy didn't come home for a long time. My daughter said the book was incredible, at a child's understanding level and would recommend it to every Army/Military wife with young kids.