5.0 out of 5 stars F for Fantastic, November 9, 2001
Another great collaboration for the Wargin-Van Frankenhuyzen team. This is a terriffic book and the poetry / informative text makes it a great read for preschoolers through late elementary ages. Along with the fabulous pictures, the author once again has combined an enjoyable read with a great history lesson on the state of Illinois. The pictures are so well done, that they compell you to want to read more about each place or event. An altogether great book for your children's library.

5.0 out of 5 stars a charming book, January 25, 2011
This review is from: L Is for Lincoln: An Illinois Alphabet (Discover America State by State) (Paperback)
Most everyone knows, or should know, that Abraham Lincoln, born in Kentucky and raised in Indiana, was elected president from the state of Illinois. But do you know when and where the world's very first Ferris Wheel was seen? L Is for Lincoln uses rhyming text by author Kathy-jo Wargin, which will appeal to children, along with striking prints of paintings by Gijsbert van Frankenhuyzen, to go through the alphabet from A to Z and reveal various interesting facts, many historical, some geographical, and others scientific, all about the state of Illinois. For example, "A is for the Arrowheads hiding in the ground, special tools from long ago waiting to be found." And did you know that the oldest zoo in the United States is the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago, IL? By the way, the first Ferris Wheel ever seen was at the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago, also known as the Chicago World's Fair of 1893. I saw this book in a Cracker Barrel restaurant, so I picked it up since we live in Illinois.
After reading it, my first thought was, "I wonder what the one for Ohio is?" Ohio is my home state. And then I remembered. Years ago, when we lived in Ohio and our older son was studying Ohio history, my wife found B Is for Buckeye in the library. These are part of a 51 book series of state alphabet books, beginning with A Is for America, and including B Is for Beaver (Oregon), B is for Bluegrass (Kentucky), B Is for Badger (Wisconsin), C Is for Cowboy (Wyoming), C Is for Centennial (Colorado), E Is for Empire (New York), G Is for Golden (California), G Is for Grand Canyon (Arizona), H Is for Hoosier (Indiana), K Is for Keystone (Pennsylvania), L Is for Last Frontier (Alaska), L Is for Lobster (Maine), L Is for Lone Star (Texas), M Is for Magnolia (Mississippi), M Is for Maple Syrup (Vermont), M Is for Mayflower (Massachusetts), M Is for Mitten (Michigan), P Is for Palmetto (South Carolina), P Is for Peach (Georgia), S Is for Sunshine (Florida), and V Is for Volunteer (Tennessee). In addition to the verses on each page, there are sidebar explanations with further details, and a page of Illinois trivia in the back. Parents who are concerned with the evolutionary influences in books will want to know that there are three references to things that supposedly happened "millions of years ago." Otherwise, it is a charming book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Book for Parents & Children Together, June 24, 2006
Timothy Haugh (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I bought this book for one reason: "Now Q is for Quincy, she was rough and ready. The first fire engine in our state; let's go boys, hold her steady!" I was born & raised in Quincy, Illinois and when I saw this book on a shelf at a conference in Chicago, I promised myself I'd buy it if my hometown qualified for mention. So it did. And so I did.

This book is subtitled "An Illinois Alphabet" and is part of a nationwide series. Every state in the union has its alphabet book with titles like S Is for Show Me (Missouri) and E Is for Empire (New York). I don't know if these book are really great for learning your A, B, Cs but, if you feel connected to your state, they are fun books to read. In addition to the short verse for each letter, these books contain longer passages in the margins giving more detailed information and the artwork by Mr. van Frankenhuyzen is quite enjoyable.

Ultimately, this is a book that would have to be shared between an adult and child. I can see myself using the verses to help teach my child to read and then sharing the more difficult marginal passages. I think a child learning to read would have a tough time with these. But maybe having an adult and child share the reading chores is not such a bad thing. Find your state and share something of it with your children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything And Anything, a Cornucopia, March 28, 2005
Kevin Killian (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Kathy-Jo is a state treasure of Michigan, where she has been creating her unique books for children (and their parents) for many years. She has worked on other volumes in the fabulous SLEEPING BEAR state alphabet series, including the "M IS FOR MITTEN" book which describes her own home state of Michigan (with its two hands across the water of the upper and lower peninsula, that look a bit like mittens, especially to the young'uns). And also she is responsible for V IS FOR VIKING (Minnesota of course) and the B IS FOR BADGER volume which gives us a peek at Wisconsin the cheese state.

But has she ever written a book as filled with fun and info as L IS FOR LINCOLN AN ILLINOIS ALPHABET? I don't think so. It's a natural for her, a state so big and boisterous she could have written two books about it. Did you know that the original Ferris Wheel was built in Chicago and it could carry whole classrooms filled with kids in one car? Yes, up to fifty people crammed in! Kathy-Jo's little rhymes carry the day, with everything from favorite dishes to the natural landmarks of our beloved Illinois.

5.0 out of 5 stars L is for Lincoln and LIKEABLE, July 16, 2002
L Is For Lincoln is another great book is what is becoming an impressive series of books. In this one, readers travel across the state of Illinois and learn lots of great history, culture and tidbits! The illustrations are very nice and the rhymes flow easily for reading aloud to children. If you are familar with this run of books, then this one won't disappoint you. L Is For Lincoln is a welcome addition to the series that features titles like S is for Sunshine(Florida), V Is For Volunteer(Tennessee) and M is for Maple(Canda). If you are new to these books, you may find yourself spending alot of time traveling around North America from your favority easy chair!

4.0 out of 5 stars L is for Lincoln, February 14, 2010
We bought this book for the library in Peshtigo, WI in memory of a loved one.

5.0 out of 5 stars this book is super for any age, November 23, 2000
When my children were young I began collecting state alphabet books. It was a way we all learned about our states. Some were good , some were not so good. This "L is for Lincoln" is a wonderful learning tool for readers of all ages. It's format has poetry as well as side-bar information for older readers. The bright and creative illustrations are marvelous. I hope the author and llustrator do more state books. This book holds the title "the best" in my collection of over 200 alphabet books. Buy it you'll like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Discover America alphabet series are great books for all readers, September 17, 2014
The Discover America alphabet series are great books for all readers! Elementary age can read them and they are full of great state facts and history. I love reading through them each time I get my hands on a new one.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a neat idea..., November 19, 2010
My son received the "M is for Mitten: A Michigan Alphabet" for his birthday. I thought the book was so neat, so I ordered one for my neice and nephew who live in Illinois. The illustrations are beautiful.

L Is for Lincoln: An Illinois Alphabet (Discover America State by State)
L Is for Lincoln: An Illinois Alphabet (Discover America State by State) by Kathy-Jo Wargin (Paperback - August 24, 2004)
$7.95 $7.05