Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD
Customer Discussions > Death Magnetic forum

Is Metallica Popularity Declining?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 12, 2010 5:04:18 PM PST
RPM says:
First off.. I love Death Magnetic... but I just looked at the RIAA site and this album... (out 2 years now) has ONLY sold 1 million plus copies. I don't get that. I mean Death Magnetic kicks some ass. Is it that the fans never gave it a chance? Have their once younger fans grown out of them? If "And Justice For All"... sold over 8 million copies... I don't get how this album can only sell 1 million plus.

Dave E.

Posted on Mar 4, 2010 9:54:20 AM PST
because they have toned down compared to master ride the lighting and kill em all compare these to load and load two what crap that not metallica at all i have only have heard two songs off the death magnetic so i dont know

Posted on Mar 4, 2010 7:28:45 PM PST

Posted on Mar 12, 2010 3:35:35 AM PST
Crazyd says:
They went after Napster (P2P Sharing MP3 sight) probably before you even listened to them, but Ever Since Most People won't even give them a chance; they lost A LOT of fans.

Most people are honest, but Metallica's take was thinking that people are just purely stealing something they would have been buying. Honestly if I don't find this album on the web I won't of buy it regardless. "Before they Sold Out" really applies to those greedy flockers.

My personnal argument is that I've baught the CD's once and if they get scrached I don't want to buy new ones... If I'm a fan of any group I will buy their music. Pink Floyd I've baught the set twice.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2010 4:57:48 PM PST
RPM says:
Hi.. I know all about the Napster thing but it didn't seem to slow down the selling of the black album. So I don't buy the whole Napster is the reason for their popularity declining. I get that the later albums are nothing like Master, Justice, etc. but this album is great. I chaulk this up to a combination of .. yes their popularity has decreased but also due to illegal filing sharing. I mean how are we to tell now a days how many copies a CD really sells when everyone is getting it for free. I buy all my stuff.

Posted on Mar 23, 2010 2:28:25 PM PDT
''Is Metallica Popularity Declining?''
Unfortunately, no. (yeah i do not like metallica [well, i actually never tried to listen to their music lol] sorry, but i do respect their fans and metallica themselves, i just think they're a bit overrated)
It's just that albums don't sell that much anymore. A good selling album these days is an album that gets gold certification. People don't buy music anymore... Which sucks

Posted on Apr 27, 2010 3:35:53 PM PDT
L. Bazan says:
It has alot to do with file sharing.People don't actually buy music anymore they download it. When I was 13 or 14 this wasn't the case I had alot of Metallica albums on cassette tape or on cd.Nowadays I have most of their music on my mp3 player and only own two of their albums on cd.I don't think this has much to do with their music nowadays but alot has changed since 1991 in the metal world. Kids nowadays are less interested in old-school metal and more interested in bands like Converge, Killswitch Engage,Bless the Fall than say Metallica or Megadeth. At the height of their popularity they were selling millions of albums not to say people didn't record from tape to tape back then either so it is a circular debate.I have found that is impossible for them to re-create the sound they had on their first four because James can't scream the way he use to and their music is mediocre at best. Kids want to hear something full of anger and visceral passion and they can't bring it the way they use to. The new Megadeth is amazing and much better than Death Magnetic. So is the new Testament and the new Exodus so why is it the new Metallica still sucks?

Posted on Apr 29, 2010 11:45:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2010 12:01:37 AM PDT
its easy to talk a lot of crap about Metallica now that they are in the twilight of their career, but people forget they've been playing with House Money for almost a DECADE now. They topped out with 'And Justice for All' and 'The Black Album'... conquring the music world with both creativity (justice) and in popularity (Black album). so with all due respect to Megadeth, Testament, Exodus and Co... they dont have a damn thing on Metallica. Never have and Never will.

Posted on May 13, 2010 7:28:33 PM PDT
Wuchak says:
Most metal bands today would kill to sell over a million copies of a new cd.

Posted on May 17, 2010 6:23:44 PM PDT
D. Mok says:
Because Metallica hasn't written a good song since Load.

Older Metallica songs like "Ride the Lightning", "The Four Horsemen" and "Enter Sandman" sound good even if you play them on a nylon-string classical. Metallica hasn't written a song like that since "Until It Sleeps". The band is now relying on sound and production to get by. But these songs just aren't very musical. If the songwriting were up to par -- say, with Bruce Springsteen's Working on a Dream and Magic -- the fans wouldn't care how old the musicians were.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2010 6:28:10 PM PDT
RPM says:
Bruce Springsten?? OFL... dude if you are talking about soft rock Bruce Springsten... you have NO business responding to this post. And also, the age of the group members has NOTHING to do with this discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2010 8:06:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2010 8:08:23 PM PDT
JKat says:
I'm really surprised that it isn't played more on rock radio, because it's their best albums since the 80s, and way better than 99% of the new music out there in my opinion.

I think maybe it's because of the "brickwalled" production with the "clipping" problems. On certain systems it sounds alright, but on others it doesn't. So maybe it's not being played on the radio because people don't like the way it sounds on their systems that they listen to the radio on. Or maybe people just like those boring, generic Nickelback bands.

Posted on May 18, 2010 10:01:52 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
> if you are talking about soft rock Bruce have NO business responding to this post.

Bruce Springsteen? Soft rock? You don't know what you're talking about.
And on my music player I have Laura Nyro, The Byrds, Albert King and Mariah Carey right next to Alice in Chains, King's X, Danzig, Black Sabbath, Pantera, Cradle of Filth, Tristania, Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, Emperor, Entombed, Mayhem and Deicide. So don't go acting like a high and mighty metal snob.

Posted on May 19, 2010 1:05:48 PM PDT
IMO most metallica songs are pretty bland and empty. at least the ones I've heard. will anyone make me a list of the best songs so I can get into the band a bit?

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2010 5:08:27 PM PDT
Wuchak says:
Buy their cd RIDE THE LIGHTNING and check out songs like For Whom the Bell Tolls, Escape, Creeping Death, Ride the Lightning and Fade to Black.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2010 10:23:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2010 10:24:07 PM PDT
I would like to hear those albums remastered on CD one of these days.

Posted on Jul 3, 2010 12:27:37 AM PDT
Darth Bane says:
metallica sued napster after that they lost billions and billions of loyal fans

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2010 10:54:18 AM PDT
James Young says:
It's because while the songs are great, the recording quality is disgusting!!
After the Death Magnetic incident I'll never buy their music new again. They should have recorded this CD at the proper and much better sounding volume level that most CD's of the 80's/early 90's were recorded at. As should everyone!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2010 10:56:56 AM PDT
James Young says:
Why so that they can ruin the sound quality?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2010 10:59:37 AM PDT
Darth Bane says:
i enjoyed death magnetic world painted blood black clouds and silver linings and endgame by metallica slayer dream theater megadeth

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 5:49:49 PM PST
Marduk666 says:
They went into decline after Load as far as I'm concerned.

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 12:29:36 PM PST
"Is Metallica Popularity Declining?"

I sure hope so.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Death Magnetic forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Feb 12, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 30, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Death Magnetic
Death Magnetic by Metallica (Audio CD - 2008)
4.0 out of 5 stars (1,064)