Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 15, 2006 12:42:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2006 12:43:30 PM PST
Fred P says:
I just wanted to open up this topic for those who have read the book or gone through the program. It seems that Rick Warren is looking for unity in purpose. I believe this is admirable, yet we must not seek unity at all costs. We must never sacrifice truth for unity. The Bible talks of a time when men will no longer seek sound teaching, but a teaching which is pleasing to their ears. Could this , by its enormous initial success, be that teaching?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2006 9:05:44 AM PST
I have been in two groups going through the book. I do not like his use of the paraphrase translations of the bible at all. The whole concept of picking a translation you like to make a point leaves me cold. If one most use more then one make a decision what are the four or five best translations. I am not a King James only reader,but ido like KJV/ NIV parrellal bible. I often read the Revised Standard Version and my devotion (Table Talk) uses the New English Translation. I also own the Oxford Parrellal bible that has four translations that are used by the Catholic Church. I like to compare translations. But I also find it suspicious when one cannot publish a book without using one or two translations. Not putting scripture referance by the quoted scripture also needs to be critisized. Make as easy as possible to compare all scripture to a specific translation.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2006 12:33:18 PM PDT
Emmanuel says:
Making meaning out of a book or out of life in general is the point of reading. If the version doesn't fit with you that may be your problem.

I grew up reading KJV, and I'd have to admit becoming numb to many verses because I heard them repeated and overused. Version variation can really be an eye-opener. The "whole" meaning of particular verses would not be changed; basically, little would change.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2007 11:45:39 AM PDT
If it isn't false teaching, it is very close. Warren is guilty of - at minimum - faulty exegesis if not outright eisegesis. By this I mean his use of roughly 20 different unscholarly Biblical paraphrases rather than scholarly Biblical translations. Warren's "theology", if one can be so kind, is a sell-out to modern American consumerism, narcissim, and culture rather than focusing on Christ and Him crucified (i.e., counter-cultural).If you think Joel Osteen is a genius, you'll probably like Warren's stuff, too. If you are a mainline Protestant, I'd say don't waste time with this Purpose-Driven claptrap.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2008 8:36:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2008 8:39:47 AM PST
Vince says:
"We must never sacrifice truth for unity." ...AMEN! Perhaps, Rick Warren's book and ministry is 'admirable' but to what audience? It's certainly not the genuine Christian who loves the truth of God's word and searches the scriptures continually day and night to study and know what it says, as well as what it means by what it says. All in order to learn the Will of God and live to Glorify Him... which is the real purpose of life. The world and culture of our day of course would deem this book as something positive, and some possibly may embrace his message. But in the end, never actually consider the real God of the Bible, who Warren is supposedly speaking about, nor come to truly see themselves as they are and bow down to worship and serve Christ. Any book that seeks to make loving, worshiping, and Glorifying Christ into a "program" that Christians (or people) must follow, has sadly missed the point of the Gospel and what the apostle Paul means when he wrote, 'to die is gain, yet to live is Christ.'

PS - I'm not one to normally write or post on a subject such as this, however, I saw this author in an interview and my spirit cringed.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2008 10:24:27 PM PST
truth-seeker says:
I was not impressed with this book. While the gods of contemporary Christianity applaud Dr. Warren, millions of Christians who have faithfully served and supported their local churches are being driven like cattle out of their churches, heartbroken and spritually crushed by Rick Warrens teachings with his Purpose Driven Church agenda. You will find alot of new age ideas and terms in this book.

Dr. Rick Warren also idolizes Jimi Henrix. Dr. Warren sang his song "Purple Haze" before thirty thousand in the Angels' stadium to prelude his one billion -man peace plan. Rick said that he had always wanted to do this.

Jimi Hendrix was the idol of the pot-immersed, drug-soaked, mind-blown, sex-crazed new youth rebellion generation. He was continually stoned on pot or high on various drugs, including herion. It was not uncommon for him to have sex with six different women a day. Jimi Hendrix died one day in 1970, drowing in his own vomit from a heroin drug overdose. Why would Dr. Warren pay homage to this kind of person?

I recommend that a person read THE DARK SIDE OF THE PURPOSE DRIVEN CHURCH by Noah W. Hutchings. There truly is a dark side to the Purpose Driven Church with its new age message. Also read DECEIVED ON PURPOSE by Warren Smith. A lot of churches split when the Purpose Driven Church is forced on its members.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2008 6:58:02 PM PDT
JR Corry says:
That's ridiculous, Texas. Warren makes a point and uses clear Scripture to explain where he got the idea. This book is lovely and full of truth. What I don't understand is what problem you have with it. What's the problem here? Encouraging people and trying to unite God's children under His name?

"It's certainly not the genuine Christian who loves the truth of God's word and searches the scriptures continually day and night to study and know what it says, as well as what it means by what it says."

Gee, thanks; I'm sure every person who dares to love this book appreciates your ridiculous and offensive presumption. Perhaps it's your soul that needs examining.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2008 8:27:24 AM PDT
There is nothing wrong with using two or three Bible translations as long as they agree. It's when there is a difference of opinion between the translations (translators) that problems arise. Then go to to the Interlinear Bible (difficult to read, but accurate) and support your research with Strong's Concordance and a good dictionary. If you are diligent in your research, putting all preconceived opinions aside, then you will be guided in truth.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2009 4:37:26 AM PDT
Right on Fred! The importance of both truth & revelation for a true believer can never be over-emphasized/ I would rather be with two or three & know Gods pure Word is there--then with 10,000 & know He is not there!

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2010 5:24:42 PM PDT
compsciguy says:
Right on! That's why I hated popular groups in high school! I would rather be an outcast and be with God on my own, then go to CSU (Christian Student Union), and hear about how God hates all gay people. Rubbish! If God hates gays, then how come THEY EXIST?! Who created homosexuality? The DEvil? He doesn't have that power. Only God does!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Jan 15, 2006
Latest post:  May 26, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Purpose Driven Life
The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren (Hardcover - October 8, 2002)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (2,053)