Published on October 4, 2008 by Jeff Lippincott

2.0 out of 5 stars Not helpful
I could not find answers to questions I had as a new user to computers. It will probably end up being trashed.
Published 21 months ago by Joyce

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Could be used as lesson plans by a teacher of computer basics and the Internet. Simple for some, but for others it's not simple!, October 4, 2008
This review is from: Is This Thing On?: A Late Bloomer's Computer Handbook (Paperback)
I loved this book! It's not exactly one that I picked up because I needed to learn about computer basics, going digital, and playing/working on the Internet. But I thought it was well written, well outlined, and definitely on target for people over age 50 who are hands-off when it comes to personal computers. The book claims to have 25 chapters in 378 pages. However, I view it more like nine chapters with 25 sub-chapters interspersed therein as follows:

1. There is nothing to fear but technology itself (1-3)
2. Where will it sleep and how often do I neeed to water it? (4-5)
3. Go for a test drive (6-8)
4. Let the shopping begin (9)
5. Baby's first day home (10-12)
6. The newlywed game (13-15
7. Welcome to the neighborhood (16-20)
8. Exploration and discovery (21-23)
9. Make new friends and keep old (24-25)

About 10 years ago I took it upon myself to teach my mother how to use a PC. She was a high school librarian at the time, and it was a natural thing for her to learn in order to help her with her work. The lessons taught in this wonderful book are the same ones I went through with my mom ten years ago. And then two years later I was the lead instructor in teaching my grandmother (my mom's mom) how to use a PC to surf the Net, and most importantly get/send emails to/from my mom and my cousins. My mom was the teaching assistant who helped my grandmother pick up on computers. And the two of us used the same lessons taught in this book to teach my grandmother.

In this book you will learn (if you want to) how to: (1) shop for a PC, (2) set up your PC when you get it home, (3) sign up for Internet access, (4) use your PC and the Internet, (5) use a printer with your PC, (6) use email, (7) surf the Internet like a Pro, and much more.

The author has been teaching what she has included in this book for the past 10 years. And it is the same approach she used to teach her mother how to become computer literate. As far as I know, the system described in this book has been successful when applied to at least three seniors. And I know of no failures. If you are a senior and you have a desire to learn about computers and the Internet, then I highly recommend you get a copy of this book. 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books of this type, January 22, 2009
AGD "tondar3" (Reisterstown, Maryland USA) - See all my reviews
This book hits the nail on the head for people who are new to computers, or would just like to have a reference book that explains it all in plain English without any geek-speak. I'm over 50, work in software support and have built & rebuilt computers for years. I also enjoy helping people with their computers and software. For years I've look at these self-help books, but until now, have never found one that has the best combination of plain English explanations and references, clear illustrations and a layout that is very easy on the eyes. Whether you are scared to death of computers, or love them way too much (as I do), I would highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Abby Demystifies Techno-World!, March 14, 2009
Remember when you first began using a computer? Those balky moments of exploration, the repeated steps and frustration that culminated in your calling a friend to explain where you were, how you got there and what you needed to do to get out?
Over time, we learn to unconsciously accommodate the quirks of our software and applications, but the process isn't as intuitive as it might be -- there's a lot of adaptive learning along the way. How do those grade school kids pick it up so quickly?
They collaborate with a knowing and patient friend along the way, and that's precisely the role Abby plays in "Is This Thing On?". Her approach works: Abby starts at the beginning, speaks in conversational English, and is gentle and funny and encouraging as she expands the basis of why someone would be compelled to use a computer in the first place.
My hope is that those who would most benefit from this book (including those who have yet to buy a computer -- Abby has plenty of sage advice on this topic, as well) have a caring mentor like Abby on hand to steer them to it. I can think of several folks in my circle who deserve a copy of their own.
A large audience with an unmet need, a sound concept and a very successful execution = a timely and essential book.

4.0 out of 5 stars never too late to learn, March 1, 2009
A friend of mine got this book for Christmas and I scoffed - what could I possibly learn about computers? Ever since I dip into this treasure trove every time I am over at his house and always learn something. So finally I got my own copy. Excellent explanations, great visuals and a sense of humor teach you how get the maximum usage out of your best "non-human" friend. Hats off to Ms Stokes wherever she may be.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Guide for Uncertain Folks, April 28, 2009
My first thought was, :Why do I need to read this book? I've used computers for years." Well, we all can learn a new shortcut, something we thought we knew & didn't, or a different way of doing. Two big things stand out--I really like the way the author sets chapters & methods up & do find I end up teaching someone else occasionally who's a little fearful of using a computer. Since using this book, it's been easier to help someone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book For A Computer Novice, February 24, 2009
This book explains the essentials of the computer and the internet. It's written in a clear, easy-to-read, personal, fun style, so not only is it practical it's an enjoyable read -- and I never thought I would say that about a computer book. For anyone who wants to get-up-and-running, or become more competent, on a computer, this is a great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is This Thing On? by Abby Stokes, February 23, 2010
I love this book! I teach a class for adults who wish to learn about computers and new technology! Most of them have ordered this book and love it! Thanks for putting it into a language that is understood by my 'kids'!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!! Awesome!!, September 15, 2011
After FINALLY convincing our 82-year old Mother that she would really enjoy having a computer, she gave in and agreed to "TRY IT"!! After spending many hours showing and telling her where to go... and how to get there... I turned to my favorite website (Amazon.com) for some written, step-by-step instructions for her. THIS BOOK IS IT!! It is easy to understand, with clear and consice step-by-step instructions that are very easy to follow. This book is a must-have for all novice "mature" computer users!

4.0 out of 5 stars COMPUTER HANDBOOK FOR BEGINNERS, August 20, 2010
I would give this book 5 stars if it was written for Windows 7, but it is not. So the pictures are only for Windows XP and an older Mac version. I'm hoping she'll update her book for Windows 7.
I'm not a beginner user, I've been using computers since the early 90's. I bought the book for my Mom who just bought her first laptop. However, I found information in this book that is helpful to me. So I kept it. She bought the "Laptops For Seniors for Dummies" book. I have that one also. Both are great reference books. Easy to follow along books. Now I can help her over the phone with her laptop since she live 2500 miles away.
I found some security information in this book that is appreciated. And I like the trouble shooting section.
If you are struggling with your laptop or desktop, I recommend this book & any of the Dummies books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied Costomer, June 8, 2011
I purchased the book Is This Thing On? by Abby Stokes. A book about how to us computers.Love the book,clear and simple to use, has got me out of alot of mistakes I've made on my computer.
When I ordered the book they said it would take a week to 10 days to get it,it came in three days.I was really surprised.Very Impressed with service and price.This was my first time ordering on Amazon.

Satisfied Customer!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Is This Thing On?: A Late Bloomer's Computer Handbook
Is This Thing On?: A Late Bloomer's Computer Handbook by Abby Stokes (Paperback - August 22, 2008)
Used & New from: $0.01