Customer Discussions > Psycho (Collector's Edition) forum

Is it true 1080p?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 20, 2010 7:17:29 PM PDT
JMB says:
For those of you out there who have already purchased this, how is the hi-def quality? Is it grainy like most old movies that have been transfered to blu-ray, or is it super-clear?

Posted on Oct 22, 2010 11:52:05 AM PDT
I purchased this the day after it's release

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2010 1:25:34 PM PDT
Marc D. Sico says:
and.......................how is the quality?

Posted on Oct 22, 2010 5:33:30 PM PDT
I just want to play this movie on my psp without bd live. Why can't I play it without an update? I only use the psp for blu ray playback. It's telling me I must renew the encryption key and to perform a software update.

Posted on Oct 25, 2010 9:28:24 AM PDT
Haha For some reason the first time I added a comment it left some of it off. But, what I said was the quality is more amazing than ever and its very much worth buying, alot better than DVD. Go get it!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2010 11:04:32 AM PDT
JMB says:
I did! Picked it up this weekend. Like you said, it looks better than ever but theres some slight film grain in it. I suppose that's expected, seeing the movie is 50 years old. I'm happy with it though. I watched it 3 times yesterday and probably will watch it again tonight. "Maniac" was just shipped out to me today. What a classic.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2010 9:19:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2010 2:06:12 PM PST
j in boston says:
It was made on film. There's supposed to be film grain. It was never intended to look like some lifeless digital image created out of 1's and 0's.

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 5:19:44 PM PST
most film grain really comes out on blu ray. but if you saw this on the big screen there would be grain back then. it's film.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 12:31:45 PM PST
Wayne says:
Digital images are not created out of 1's and 0's. They are created out of light that comes through a lens. It is analogous to what an eye would see. It is stored in a way that does not lose information if there are enough digital samples, but then converted back to analog when you view it. But the actual conversion to analog occurs when you watch your TV. Each pixel on your HDTV is showing the content for that pixel. When taken as a whole, your eyes see an image analogous to what a lens sees. But if you are watching an HDTV, then make no mistake there is "digital" in the stream. Whether it be from an old black and white film, a digital recording or anything else, once it goes on DVD, BD or anything else (including a pure analog source) that displays on a digital display, then it's a "digital image" as you put it.

As far as film goes, it's designed to be projected onto a giant screen that is an order of magnitude or more larger than a typical HDTV. If it can display in a theater without looking grainy, it can display that way on a TV. If it looks grainy in the theater, it may look grainy on a TV, or might not if the TV is small enough. With good film, even fifty years ago there was not necessarily a lot of graininess to it, especially with black and white with lots of light. I can't compare this particular one to the theatrical release, but in general the goal is NOT to have lots of grain; it was intended to look as clear as sharp as possible, which is the same goal as for digital.

Even for computer data, zeros and ones are merely analogous representation of data. In real life, they are not zeros and ones, but different voltage states within computer chips, or different reflectivity of pits within CD or DVD, etc. These things were never stored as zeros and ones, on or off discrete states, or anything like it. That's merely an analogy.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2013 10:21:53 AM PDT
Jon Morris says:
Wow...4 times in 2 days. You must be a pretty big fan. I watch it on 10/30 every year (family tradition).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Oct 20, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Psycho (Widescreen Edition) [VHS]
Psycho (Widescreen Edition) [VHS] by Anthony Perkins (VHS Tape - 1999)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (925)