Customer Discussions > The Sims 3 - PC forum

Is it worth it?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 19, 2009 11:24:28 AM PDT
Ann says:
I love the sims 2 and I'm thinking about getting the sims 3, is it worth it? I've been reading reviews and so far they are mixed. Should I buy the sims 3?

Posted on Jun 21, 2009 10:37:34 PM PDT
Rilan says:
No, you'll want to gouge your eyes out at the ugly, plastic, googly eyed Sims. I bought it and returned it. Its horrible.

Posted on Jun 21, 2009 10:57:04 PM PDT
Ptrick says:
get it!

Posted on Jun 22, 2009 3:07:56 PM PDT
G. French says:
lol...looks like advice is going to be as mixed as reviews. You'll have to decide for yourself in the end. From what I've heard, there are a lot of bugs. I myself am waiting to buy this until they fix the glitches.

Posted on Jun 23, 2009 1:37:24 PM PDT
I have honestly had zero glitches, zero crashes, and zero problems with TS3. I personally love it, but I've always been a one-family kind of person anyway. There are a lot of inaccuracies as far as reviews (and the problem with the 3/5 stars on Amazon is because a lot of reviewers gave it 1 star because they couldn't load it; that has nothing at all to do with game play because they can't comment on it yet).

If you like doing the challenges (legacy, apocalypse, poverty, etc.), you'll prefer TS3 to TS2. It's just made for those challenges. I love to watch my neighborhood grow and change because that's more realistic to me. My sim's childhood friend is now an adult with him, and they can continue to pal around like they did when they were kids. It's so much better than one family I had, where my founder's first kiss was with the same person his great-great-great-great grandson had a first kiss with. I always found that disturbing, haha.

I also like that each town is its own save. One of the things that always bothered me with TS2 was when I decided to build on to a premade home, I could never get the original house back. I never wanted to play the Goths (TS1) or Don Lothario (TS2) because I didn't want to mess up their characters. Well, now I can because I can just create a brand new town where they are their original ages again. I'm currently playing the Goth family on one of my saves, and it's enjoyable to me.

The best features are the lack of load screens, the personality traits, and the full customization of everything. Those alone make TS3 a worthy purchase for me. I can be playing my family in less than 90 seconds from start to load. The personality traits make every sim unique and create challenges that I never had with TS2. (Try creating a parent who hates children, or a flirty sim who is likes insulting his paramours. See how far you get!) And the customization is brilliant. I hate hate hate things that don't match, and I found myself downloading more and more custom content so I could have matching kitchens, bathrooms, and living rooms. And don't get me started on the same front door I used for every house because I couldn't find one to match the nice windows. These issues are not problems with TS3; I can now have any window I want and make it any color I want; I can create solid red furniture to go with red plaids; my rugs match my bedspreads; the nightstand is the same type of wood as the dresser; my guy can actually have tennis shoes that match his suit or jeans. It is fabulous.

If you know someone who has it, check it out. But don't stick to Amazon's reviews to make your decision. Read game magazine reviews, talk to friends, hang out on the Sims 3 forums, look at the screen shots. You will get mixed reviews, of course, but take your playstyle into account while you read them.

Posted on Jul 1, 2009 12:34:19 PM PDT
No. Watch Yahtzee's review over on Zero Punctuation, that sums up the game pretty well. If you can even get it to work to begin with. I bought a copy on the FIRST day it was released, nearly a month ago, and I STILL can't play it on my computer at home. EA technical support has been almost useless (unplug any spare USB devices that might be interfering -only mouse, keyboard, and monitor are plugged in to begin with-, uninstall and reinstall -hasn't worked the past few times, but let's try it again-, adjust settings -gee, why didn't I think of that!-, uhhh...), and they really don't want to give me my full refund for this piece of shiat coaster of a disc!

Posted on Jul 1, 2009 8:55:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2009 12:13:12 AM PDT
J. Clyde says:
Frankly, I've said it a thousand times. When you buy a Sims game you are going to get minimal gameplay for your buck and Sims 3 is no exception. The idea here, is that EA knows that there are many addicted Sims players who will part with their money over anything with The Sims name on it.

The more addicted Sims players who have had much of their life wrapped around these games seem more than happy to oblige EA regardless of the quality of the original game, the expansion packs, the stuff packs or whatever. Now they even gave you The Sims 3 Store on launch day where you could spend even more money from day one after having parted with $50 or more depending on which version you bought. Far be it from me to explain why this "special content" at the Store which amounted to nothing more than game decoration and costs so much was left out of the game, except EA does seem to know who its more gullible customers are.

And now more than ever, they are depending on those same players to bail them out of the Spore fiasco, especially since it is becoming readily apparent that the expansion pack for that game is a bust and could be the death knell for that game.

The worst thing for the computer gaming industry has been the addicted undiscerning Sims fans who buy overpriced Sims junk on a continual basis regardless of quality or whether or not they are really getting anything for their money.

Gee, for a cool $1.00 you can get a new stove for the Sim in your game at the store. For just 75 cents you can get your sim a new shirt, and for 75 cents buy them a new pair of jeans. Pretty much explains why the Sims furniture and clothing in the Sims 3 is so minimal. Funny how most gaming reviews leave these facts out in their Sims 3 reviews but I guess you can do things like that when you are dependent on advertising dollars of the company whose product you are reviewing.

Maybe I'm wrong, but compare the wide eyed response Sims players give EA for each stuff and expansion pack with the response EA got when they tried the same maneuver with their Spore Creepy & Cute pack. It turns out, that not everybody who plays computer games will bite off the same bait on the hook that EA lowers into the sea.

With all the expansion packs, and stuff packs, EA sees nothing but dollar signs in the eyes of those who have spent literally hundreds if not thousands of dollars to own all things officially Sims, and with the advent of The Sims 3 store, there is never enough cash in reserve to satisfy the EA thirst.

And the review at Zero Punctuation is right on the money. The game is becoming nothing but a redundent and pointless money machine. There is so little offered in this new version, but I guarantee you that those who are tied to the apron strings of EA and the Sims will defend it to the death, especially those who have web pages and web sites so dependent on the success of each version of the game.

While the Sims 2 was about creating your own world, or making the game as an ends to a means for videos, designing, and storytelling, Sims 3 still gives you the house designing (although even that has now been limited as you no longer have free choice as to where to build it), but little else. In fact, EA has done it's best to hold outside custom content makers at bay so they can rake in more money from their own store because their motto has always been if it's free, it ain't for thee. Worse, they have now tied story telling and video making to their web site in such a way that it now limits creativity rather than expands on it. You must use their interface for video, which is way worse than even Microsoft's Windows Movie Maker Freebie. The pictures for story telling look good when you take them, and unlike The Sims 2 where they still looked good when uploaded, they now look horrible when loaded into the story telling interface.

Once you get over the newness of being able to move around the neighborhood without loading screens, you find out that there isn't a whole lot to do in that neighborhood but have your simply set goal, do task, rinse and repeat endlessly. Everything is goal oriented. And your rewards for acheiving certain criteria? More goals. More repititious tasks rinse again, repeat again.

And Sims relationships? Even those have been put on the backburner. Now instead of action and reaction you get a mess of text messages to inform you what your sim has done, what it is feeling, and you get a moodlet.

Things like rage and jealousy are never expressed as they were previously with actual animations. Oh, a Sims bar will go in the red but if it weren't for that you wouldn't even know they found another Sims actions distasteful. And some of it is just plain lazy. Cars no longer emerge from the driveway. Now they magically appear in front of the house and your Sim sort of dissolves into the car without even opening the door. To top it off, they run over other pedestrians and bicyclers, as if they weren't even there. This is simply lazy, cheap programming, in any way shape or form.

The genetics of the Sims 2 have been replaced. In the Sims 2, your Sims would have traits of both parents and their Sim ancestors, not to mention their physical characteristics passed down from generation to generation.

In Sims 3 they will generally look like one or the other parent, and traits seem more about randomness than anything inherited. And this is an improvement how?

But I have no doubt the game will be successful, and probably all the future expansion packs, stuff packs, and The Sims 3 store will as well. The Sim community just never can seem to get enough. And this game is important to EA's financial well being which explains the astronomical sums they have spent promoting the game that dwarf practically anything else they put out.

So if you never have played the game be aware that you are going to get minimal gameplay out of this so that EA can sell you more and more expansion packs with the promise that the game will surely be all the better for it. I guarantee within a month you will be bored with the repetitive tasks, will be hoping for better with an expansion, and then EA will have you dangling on their fishing line (another repetitive pointless task in the game) right where they want you. And taking a tip from someone who knows, a week after each expansion pack is released, the truly addicted Sims fan will already be putting their pennies away and debating what the next expansion or stuff pack will be so that they can donate to the coffers of EA who sees them for the Patsies that many of them are.

Oh, and someone suggested read gaming magazine web site reviews or gaming web sites? Worse places for gaming reviews as these web sites and especially their magazine counterparts best interests are tied to EA advertising dollars along with other gaming companies. As many found out after purchasing Spore, their reviews seem to have little validity any longer. So I would read the reviews here of people who have actually played the game, and not some review at a gaming site copied from an EA press release.

Posted on Jul 2, 2009 11:32:43 AM PDT
Jfed142 says:
ARBrooks speaketh truth. All of it. Agreed on every point, I'll even add one: the thing ships broken. A major ingame utility (story progression toggle) doesn't work out of the box. Combined with Lucy K.'s rotten experience w/tech support and the falsity of Rod Humble's claims that this game would 'run on grandma's computer'...I completely agree, EA knew it would sell no matter what and uses that knowledge to push (or pull back) anywhere they can and get away with it.

And I *like* what I've played of my pre-owned copy. ;)

Posted on Jul 2, 2009 1:21:49 PM PDT
Raqel Redfox says:
Don't make a very big mistake. You'll regret it. I know I did (a LOT). There are too many bad things about the game to describe all of them, and the pros do not add up to the cons at ALL.

Posted on Jul 3, 2009 8:49:55 PM PDT
Retrobat says:
Yes! It's very good; much better than The Sims 2. It has a fresh feeling, just like The Sims did when it first came out.

Posted on Jul 7, 2009 12:42:29 PM PDT
When I first got the game, I absolutely hated it but after finding out how to use the camera controls the way I am used to them in the game options and a few other tweaks there to make the graphics bearable, I began to warm up to it and started to love it. However, after playing for just a month, I am so bored with it already. There really isn't a whole lot to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2009 1:26:21 PM PDT
munchen says:
How could you return a computer game that you have already loaded into your computer?

Posted on Aug 24, 2009 5:04:24 AM PDT
Ann says:
Thank you guys for replying. I'm going to see what my friend thinks. She just got it for her birthday so I'm going to over to her house to play.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2009 2:22:49 PM PST
Just Me says:
you can sell it on amazon or ebay and get back some of your money i dont think you can actuall return it. There is also gamestop and game over and other such stores
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Sims 3 - PC forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Jun 19, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 27, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Sims 3 - PC
The Sims 3 - PC by Electronic Arts (Mac OS X, Windows Vista / XP)
3.4 out of 5 stars   (947)