Customer Discussions > Fallout 3 forum

Is the SecuROM that bad?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 23, 2009 11:11:07 PM PDT
I'm thinking about buying this game. Somewhat soon we are getting a new tower (the monitor and printer and stuff are fine, why replace?) and my friends keep talking about this game and how awesome it is, and I feel left out because I dont have a Xbox 360 or PS3. Anyway they have it PC, so I thought about getting it for that instead. (This is also why I bought Portal for the PC too) But reading the reviews for the game, people mention this SecuROM, and what I want to know is: How bad is it and how much would it screw up my computer? I don't want to screw up a brand new PC with potential crap.

Posted on Mar 24, 2009 12:06:15 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 2, 2011 8:42:42 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 24, 2009 12:08:53 AM PDT
So then I guess I should just stay away.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2009 9:19:18 AM PDT
A. E. Wilson says:
Hang on- SecuRom is crap which tends to make legitimate buyers feel shafted for buying games rather than pirating them, but in my experience (I've been playing for over a decade) games with secuRom don't damage hardware. You are much more likely to experience only minor issues, which (while annoying) can be fixed. Not only that, Bethesda uses a simpler, less intrusive version of SecuRom- it only uses a disc check, not the draconian online authentication and limited installs that are associated with games such as Spore, Far Cry 2, etc., and which do occasionally cause issues. And while SecuRom won't uninstall itself when you uninstall the game, you CAN uninstall it separately, thus it is NOT a rootkit, which typically does harm your system. Sure, boycott Spore, Mass Effect, Far Cry 2, etc.- they actually do use the version of SecuRom people hate, but don't stay away form Fallout 3 just because you see it tied to the word SecuRom.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2009 11:09:00 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 2, 2011 8:42:44 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2009 7:23:05 AM PDT
DB says:
One of the biggest problems is convincing the game companies that the DRM programs are hurting the honest consumer. They think that everybody that complains about Securom and others, are the people making illegal copies or downloading the game for free. What they don't realize is that the people doing this are getting around the DRM software anyway. Spore and Fallout 3 are some of the most illegally copied and downloaded for free games ever. The DRM software has not stopped anybody, if anything it has caused more honest consumers to just not buy the game at all and subsequently has hurt the game companies more than it has helped.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2009 7:37:42 AM PDT
DB says:
A. E. Wilson, one thing you forget is that all of the DRM programs use up resources in our PCs. I already have problems playing many of the new games without this problem and cannot afford to constantly upgrade my PC. I also like to play some online games and the DRM software often interferes with them. It also slows down game installs of games that don't even have any DRM software and slows down the burn time when I make compilation discs from CDs that I own. As I mentioned in my earlier post the DRM software has not stopped anybody from making illegal copies or downloading for free anyway. I'm not convinced that much of the reason for DRM software anyway is to invade our privacy just to see what we do on our PCs similar to spyware.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2009 11:18:21 PM PDT
Vanagai says:
"...one thing you forget is that all of the DRM programs use up resources in our PCs."

This is misleading and generally false. The only DRM system that actively consumes resources while playing a game is Steam, and anti-SecuROM people tend to praise Steam, which makes no sense, given their complaints.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2009 3:40:59 PM PDT
H. Le says:
Vanagai,

"The only DRM system that actively consumes resources while playing a game is Steam..."

Wondering how you arrived at the statement above. One of the charges against SecuROM is that it is running covertly in the background without appearing on the Task Manager. If you can conclusively prove that SecuROM does not run in the background, you would be doing a great service to Sony DADC and the SecuROM team.

Posted on Sep 26, 2010 1:59:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2010 10:35:18 AM PDT
71'7 says:
Ultimately, SecuROM sent me an updated file for Fallout3Launcher.exe, dated 9-15-2010. This worked flawlessly.

Using MSIE-7, some of the the SecuROM help pages had a huge black block, that masked the top of the web pages for the diagnostic tool. I had to use View - Source, to find the Zip-file to download.

https://support.securom.com/diaghelp/download1.html -for- https://download.securom.com/support/srdiag.zip

Then I had to poke around to find a pulldown menu, that revealed the link to the Contact page, so I could fill-in a secure form, and upload my SecuROM diagnostic file.

https://support.securom.com/diaghelp/analysis1.html -pulldown- that led to Form-
https://support.securom.com/contact2.php

There was an immediate acknowledgement e-mail, after my Analysis File upload, and secure form-submission. However, even on a Sunday, SecuROM replied via e-mail with the repair after about 2 hours, and the e-mail, repair instructions included my customized filepath for my executable, showing they did analyze my Diagnostic file. (The file used a non-ASCII character format - I could not view it with Notepad.)

Replacing the original, 6-Mb Launcher executable, with an 8-Mb version, was far, far simpler than any of the hacks/cracks that I read about.

And the result was outstanding...
I can now play my legitimate, purchased copy of the game!
- That's all I ever wanted. (Well, that and trouble-free installation.)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fallout 3 forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Mar 23, 2009
Latest post:  Sep 26, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Fallout 3
Fallout 3 by Bethesda (Xbox 360)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (473)