Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on HTL

Is the story understandable?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 20, 2010 1:44:22 PM PDT
Hey guys, I'm an avid gamer and have played alot of games with great stories, I've heard really great things about MGS4 and am trying to decide weather to pick it up or not. My main question is that since most of the game is cut scenes is the story easy enough to follow for a gamer who hasn't played any other Metal Gear Solid titles?

Posted on Sep 25, 2010 12:48:40 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 25, 2010 12:49:08 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 11:19:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2010 11:20:50 AM PDT
A. Mann says:
To be honest anything after MGS1 was pretty tough to follow. Being a huge MG fan, I'd have to say that if you did not play any of the other ones a great deal may be lost story wise. Having said that, they gameplay is still great as well as the graphics and sound. If you still have a ps2 (or ps2 compatible ps3) I would recommending picking up the earlier installments. There are many engaging movements and just general satisfaction of certain events that may be lost on those unaware of the events preceding them. Despite all this, it was the first ps3 game I bought and would highly recommend it.

p.s. to clarify on the question you had asked. the story is understandable but I feel you will lose some of the emotion and significance of certain events

Posted on Dec 4, 2010 9:14:07 AM PST
Saeed Rezaei says:
The story is understandable, but make sure not to get tempted to skip any cutscenes as it might be very vital to the storyline.

Posted on Dec 5, 2010 3:20:33 AM PST
N. Fasso says:
The significance of what is happening in almost all sequences I can recall will be greatly reduced or even completely nullified by not being familiar with the previous installments. There are almost certainly full synopsis videos available on YouTube that sum up the events of the previous games. Watching these are HIGHLY recommended. Secondly, there is an interactive encyclopedia called the Metal Gear Database, which is a free download from PSN to your PS3. It's amazing. Download that also and only read it AFTER beating the game, as it addresses the entire storyline and will contain spoilers.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 10:49:46 AM PST
Fluke says:
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2012 7:08:24 PM PDT
UserInVT says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2012 7:10:02 PM PDT
UserInVT says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 8:46:51 PM PDT
Syd Dukes says:
I've played the series since MGS1, and it's definitely not a game you can just jump into and understand what's going on. If you just play MGS4 and none of the other installments, the storyline goes to waste here.

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 10:25:28 AM PDT
Lewis Murdoc says:
The story in MGS4 is horrendous. I loved MGS1 and its cutscenes were great. MGS2 & 3's cutscenes were overblown but still barely watchable. Every cutscene in MGS4 is a tedious nightmare.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 9:01:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 9:05:27 AM PDT
red744 says:
The gameplay is great. If you are in it for the story, play 2 and 3 first. I thought the game held up very well for the first ps3 installment. I also think the game is good enough to play through and skip all the cut scenes if you aren't into them. People posting negative comments here are probably just Xbox fan boys and don't know good gaming anyway.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Sep 20, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about