Customer Discussions > Wii Remote Controller forum

Is the strap really necessary?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 22, 2007 3:04:17 PM PDT
A. Shipovsky says:
Most people are not so reckless that they will drop the wiimote. It is a hassle to always have the strap on. Who agrees with me?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2007 10:09:38 AM PDT
Timbo108 says:
Not me. Some games, like Warioware: Smooth Moves, require you to drop-yes, drop-the remote. Assuming that you have the strap on, of course.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2007 4:13:01 PM PDT
A. Shipovsky says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2007 11:28:35 PM PDT
B. Cadieux says:
It may seem trivial, but check out www.wiihaveaproblem.com. People smash EVERYTHING-lamps, bones, and expensive HDTV screens. You'll probably want to keep it on to avoid any damage.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2007 3:57:16 PM PDT
Shadow mage says:
When your hands get sweaty, holding onto a Wiimote is about the same as trying to hold onto a stick of butter while wildly swinging your arm around.
So, to answer your question: "Is the strap really necessary?" Only if you don't want your Wiimote to fly out of your hand and crash into your TV screen, lamp, Wii console, bedroom wall, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2007 5:09:28 PM PDT
A. Shipovsky says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2008 6:35:02 PM PDT
its optional, but nintendo has to say that so they're not liable for the wiimote flying into your expensive flat screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2008 2:37:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2008 2:39:48 PM PDT
Jerry Mouse says:
A. Shipovsky stop being mean and stupid, the Wrist strap doesn't get in the way while playing, and why are you trying to say that we have sweat on our hands more than you do? Oh yeah and I think the wrist strap is really neccassary, I mean think of the things the could happen, broken HDTVs, Broken bones, a Wii-Mote lodged in your head, or even worse your pet getting killed by a Wii-Mote O_O!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2008 12:19:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2008 12:20:32 AM PDT
nuriko says:
You asked if we think the strap is necessary and you've got your answer. Many of us do. My wiimote just flew out of my hand and got dangerously close to my flat screen today during a game of Wii tennis with 2 other friends. In order to avoid knocking each other out, we had to stand with plenty of room between us and as a result I was right next to the coffee table. The wiimote hit the coffee table during a swing and flew out of my hand. It wouldn't have happened if I had remember to put on the strap. Bummer...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2008 5:01:51 PM PST
cp_mistyrose says:
I personally know someone that happened to... Their kid didn't want to wear the strap, and accidentally threw the remote into their *new* plasma TV. While I don't think it's as likely to happen with an adult holding the remote, it's not a chance I would take.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2009 7:04:52 AM PST
Pete Amend says:
Definitely needed for kids since they are usually over active and careless. I rarely use it but I am 15 feet from the TV and have lots of practice using my PS3 controller (which has no straps.. which I wish it did for bowling). On the other hand, if it is sports related, I make sure to use the strap just in case. Most of my Wii games have little movement and the wonderful glove that came with it keeps it from slipping. I make sure to use the strap for any throwing game where a person might let go of the control (baseball bat, bowling ball, golf, etc.).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2009 7:37:46 PM PST
What I do is just slip the strap on but don't tighten it so it's not flying all over the place and whipping me and if there's that rare chance I throw it, it still catches it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2009 4:08:48 AM PDT
Susan says:
That nearly happened with my 7 year old twin daughters

Posted on Apr 5, 2009 11:15:57 AM PDT
Vocaloid says:
There's an option of having the strap on or off, but it just provides more stability within the hands. Lowers the chances of an accident happening as well. No one would like their $35 dollar wii remote busting on a wall or damaging other items/people because of a slip of the hand. Some games require you to "swing" the remote really good too, just like the wii-mini games that come with the system (bowling).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2009 11:24:51 AM PDT
Vocaloid says:
LOL! Like a projectile missile, someone has to swing that remote pretty hard and fast for someone to end up with broken bones. As for flat-screens it depends on what you have, if it's a plastic cover it might leave a dent, if it's glass, the wii-remote might "bust" if thrown hard and may leave a mark/crack on the tv. Apparently everyone is playing with *New* flatpanel tv's nowadays with a wii remote. I, on the other hand, am fine with a glass-panel flatscreen.

Posted on Aug 11, 2009 1:36:56 AM PDT
Every time you start up a Wii game I believe it tells you to wear the strap and stays on the screen for quite some time. Anyone who does not wear the strap deserves the consequences.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2009 1:57:12 PM PDT
Joe Tammi says:
Well, in certain games like Wii Sports Resort, Warioware, and Grand Slam Tennis you can easily drop the wii remote doing the motions the games require. Besides safety, dropping a wiimote from high up could break it. I suggest wearing the wrist strap always, like I do, because I have just gotten used to it being there.

Posted on Dec 29, 2009 9:05:55 AM PST
S. Early says:
Why would you take the risk of NOT wearing it? You don't even know it is there until you go to put downthe remote. From a personal experience, my 4 year old daughter and 80 year old grandmother let go just about every time they bowl...my $3500 HD is safe because of the nifty little strap.

Posted on Sep 23, 2010 3:30:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 23, 2010 3:31:36 PM PDT
Caitie Jean says:
They put the strap on there so they won't get sued. If someone accidentally flings their wiimote into their expensive tv and breaks it, Nintendo has the defense of saying, "Well, it's not our fault you didn't use the wrist strap". Plus, it can be removed.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  16
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  May 22, 2007
Latest post:  Sep 23, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Wii Remote Controller
Wii Remote Controller by Nintendo (Nintendo Wii)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (795)