Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > The Sims 3 - PC forum

Is this for Mac os??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 16, 2009 2:00:17 PM PDT
Will this version work for macs? Is there a mac version to preorder somewhere???

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2009 8:17:49 AM PDT
K. Millich says:
I read in another post that the disc will work with both Windows and Macintosh. I was a little confused about it, too.

Posted on Apr 22, 2009 2:59:09 PM PDT
Kirsten Lee says:
On the official Sims 3 website it lists the system requirements for Mac OS X
http://thesims3.ea.com/view/pages/feature6.jsp
FOR MAC OS X
* Mac OS X 10.5.7 Leopard or higher
* Intel Core Duo Processor
* 2 GB RAM
* ATI X1600 or Nvidia 7300 GT with 128 MB of Video RAM, or Intel Integrated GMA X3100.
* At least 6.1 GB of hard drive space, with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games
* This game will not run on PowerPC (G3/G4/G5) based Mac systems, or the GMA 950 class of integrated video cards.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2009 1:07:31 PM PDT
magpie says:
I have an older version of the macbook pro (not the newer, thinner one with the black keys). It still has an intel core 2 duo processor with 2 GB memory. However, it has Leopard 10.5.6, not 10.5.7. Do you guys think it would still work?

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2009 9:47:54 AM PDT
M. Talley says:
So I was curious about that too. Then I looked up 10.5.7 and discovered it hasn't been released yet. Here's the most recent article about it that I found. http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/04/22/mac_os_x_10_5_7_to_improve_bluetooth_compatibility_stability.html It should be a system update that we all get, like the 10.5.6 one came out in December 2008 and was an update.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2009 10:39:47 AM PDT
Balfest says:
no. Macs are pretty particular when it comes to their version numbers. But, just do a software update and you can update to 10.5.7 when it's available.

Posted on May 3, 2009 12:30:56 PM PDT
Jazlyn says:
It will be for macs and will even work on older computers. Can't wait :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2009 6:46:01 AM PDT
Sarah says:
10.5.6 and 10.5.7 are a system upgrade away. It's not dependent on your computer.

Posted on May 6, 2009 7:40:59 PM PDT
Not to worry, I'm sure when this is released June 2 that it will run just fine on the current version of OS X, available to all Macs new and old, 10.5.6 just fine. It appears EA is implying a new 10.5.7 in the near future ;)

I'd see we will see 10.5.6 sometime around WWDC June 8'th though I don't anticipate the game to have any issues with 10.5.6

Posted on May 31, 2009 12:06:17 PM PDT
magpie says:
OSx 10.5.7 is now available to download.

Posted on Jun 1, 2009 12:04:04 PM PDT
Thomas Ross says:
It says explicitly on the page: "This game will not run on PowerPC (G3/G4/G5) based Mac systems, or the GMA 950 class of integrated video cards." So it will not work with older macs. If you have a Mac Mini it has to be the newer one, same with Macbooks, has to be the newer ones. Bad form EA.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2009 12:14:43 PM PDT
Knitguy says:
It's not bad form, it's based, in part, on the fact that the newer machines all have Intel based processors. I've had my MacBook Pro for 2 years or so and from the specs, it should run The Sims 3 fine. Lets note that mine is not the first gen. of MacBook Pros with Intel based processors (it's the second) so people have had plenty of time to upgrade.

Oh and lets also note that EA didn't have to make this game for both PCs and Macs. This is the first Sim product that hasn't had to be ported to the Mac by Aspyr. If they had lowered the specs on the Mac systems the game probably would have ended up needing to be ported by Aspyr which would have ment a what, 6 month wait at the minimum? Technology changes and it's been a while since the Sims 2 first came out I don't know why you would expect anything less than they're offering.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2009 7:28:32 PM PDT
Just update your software, it's free to do. Go to the Apple button on the top left of your screen and press "check for updates". That should work.

Posted on Jun 3, 2009 1:04:58 PM PDT
lizzie says:
Ok, I'm getting a new laptop soon, and I'm thinking of getting a Mac. Which do you think would work best w/ this game? I am sooo confused.

Posted on Jun 3, 2009 11:44:45 PM PDT
Yes it runs on Macs with Intel chips and the appropriate compatibilities listed. But right now it appears to be slightly less comfortable on Mac. I am running the game on my PC under Vista 64 and my husband is running it under Mac OS X 10.5.7. The only difference we have noticed is that it runs notably slower on his system than on mine, even though the processor and ram specs are similar. I have a 3ghz Intel Core Duo w/ 4 meg RAM and he has a 2.8ghz Intel Core Duo w/ 3 meg RAM. I haven't attempted any tweaking of his options to see if we can improve the speed, but I do know I am running it with all options on and maxed at 1680x1050 resolution, so clearly my system is handling it better than his Mac. Also, we haven't yet tried running it under Windows on his Mac, and I am interested to see how it performs that way. Lizzie, if you can afford a Mac laptop and are on the fence, remember that the Mac can also boot Windows, giving you the best of both worlds. He has been running Vista 32 with no problems on his mac for over a year.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2009 5:38:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2009 5:39:56 PM PDT
MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) with a nvidia 9600m graphics card and if you are brand new to apple. Go to Apple.com or a apple store near you and they will help you out.

Posted on Jun 12, 2009 3:58:03 AM PDT
Gina says:
I have it on my Macbook with Intel Integrated GMA X3100 and it isn't exactly the greatest because 3x runs pretty much as slow as regular time. Sims 2 ran better on my 5 year old Thinkpad. I can't expect it will be able to run any of the inevitable expansion packs properly if just the basic game runs so badly.

Posted on Jan 15, 2011 1:59:24 PM PST
Jenn says:
i have a macbook pro and i got it new 2 christmases ago (im not sure what # or version or anything) do you know if this would work on my laptop?

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 2:19:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2012 2:26:35 AM PDT
Sha Gojyo says:
why play games on a Mac when most PC games aren't built for Macs to play them on? if you want to play PC games, then you should buy a gaming PC insted of useing your Mac to play games on. Macs are too expensive for just playing PC games on. IMO Macs are mainly for business and such.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001264.htm

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 1:18:16 PM PDT
OMG, twenty years ago you would find this exact statement everywhere! With the companies reversed!! Macs consistently had better graphics, driven by their design software, making programming games for it simpler and the results were far more stable than they could be on WinTel systems. The lack of graphics standard, especially prior to WYSIWYG interfaces (Google it) made writing complex trap his on Win systems far too expensive to be profitable. Macs set always more expensive, but back then the technical advantage was clear. With the advent of advanced graphics standards in Windows, the heavy market share shifted the economical edvantage and slowly Windows became the standard for releasing games. I have left out many details, but if you do a spot of research you will see what I mean! (Oh, and all this is essentially saying that at this point in history, Sha is correct.)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Sims 3 - PC forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Apr 16, 2009
Latest post:  Jun 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Sims 3 - PC
The Sims 3 - PC by Electronic Arts (Mac OS X, Windows Vista / XP)
3.5 out of 5 stars (1,141)