5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful! and Isa does it (again)!
First of all, this is one of the most beautiful cookbooks I have ever seen. It is just generally visually appealing.

Published 6 months ago by A fellow reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Really sad to write a bad review
I was really disappointed with this cookbook because I'm a huge fan of Isa's other books. This cookbook contains so many recipes that include seitan and tofu, neither which I'm a fan of. There are also a lot of recipes that contain cashew cream. If you like these things then I couldn't recommend another cookbook for you, but I tend to avoid these things and the majority...
Published 4 months ago by E. clark

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful! and Isa does it (again)!, October 22, 2013
This review is from: Isa Does It: Amazingly Easy, Wildly Delicious Vegan Recipes for Every Day of the Week (Hardcover)

I always appreciate Isa's cookbooks because they contain recipes that are good, accessible standard type recipes. The recipes, for the most part, contain ingredients you can get in almost any grocery store. The recipes aren't dependent on things like vegan cheese, vegan cream cheese, vegan sour cream, etc, etc. They are just good regular recipes that your brother, grandmother, curmudgeonly uncle and slightly odd neighbor would enjoy. If you think vegan means no fat/oil, no sugar, no soy, no gluten, etc and are offended by the sight of even 1 recipe with the above in them, then you might want to look elsewhere. On the other hand, there are plenty of lower fat, limited sugar, soy free and gluten free recipes. From glancing and the desserts, they are pretty standard desserts using things you would expect such as sugar and flour.

I have made about 15 recipes or so and they are all delicious. My top recommendations would be:
Harira with Eggplant & Chickpeas
Cheddary Broccoli Soup
Chicky Tuna Salad Sandwiches
Sunflower Mac
Coconut Chana Saag
Incan Smokey Stew
Roasted Butternut Alfredo
Sweet potato gnocchi with Seared Brussels Sprouts & Tarragon cream (time consuming but worth it)

Overall, just another good solid book. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Lady of Perpetual Vegan Awesomeness Does It Again., October 30, 2013
In truth, I never cooked before I became vegan, and Isa's first book -- the now classic Vegan with a Vengeance -- taught me practically everything I know about vegan cooking. Isa is a one-woman vegan empire and rightfully so: she's hilarious, her recipes are delicious and her cookbooks are informative and entertaining.

Isa's recipes are so great because they feature foods and flavors that are always appealing: bold, satisfying and crave-worthy. I enjoy superfancy food at superfancy restaurants on occasion, but I have no interest whatsoever in making that kind of food at home -- at least not very often. I want fairly simply food that bursts with flavor, but that's quick and easy to make. The genius in Isa's recipes is how completely approachable they are, regardless of cooking skill. This is food for Real Life.

Isa Does It is not a departure from her other cookbooks, except that this one is much, much prettier. The food photography is sumptuous.

For me, the entire sandwich section is a stand out (the chickpea "tuna" sandwiches are to die for); the curry, burgers and stir fries, too. Last week, like a bad vegan, I ate her rosemary chocolate chip cookies for breakfast (and lived to tell the tale). I love the bowls, which are complete meals unto themselves. I haven't made the Glam Chowder yet, but my mouth waters looking at that photo. Everyday Pad Thai? Yes, please!

This is an especially fantastic cookbook for the novice cook AND for the novice vegan: Isa Does It is FULL of instruction that makes vegan cooking seem accessible and fun -- which it is. This is a must-have for die-hard Isa fans like myself -- those who read her cookbooks like good prose. For me, Isa is the love-child of David Sedaris and Julia Child; her books inspire over-eating and laughter in almost equal measure.

To state the obvious: yes, you should buy this cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars No more excuses. Just buy the freakin' book., November 4, 2013
When I got Veganomicon, I heard a lot of complaints about how complex it was. Being a cooking enthusiast, it was not a big deal. Isa Does It! resolves any 'complexity' issues. The recipes are easy, many can be down quickly, and "weirdo vegan ingredients" are kept to a minimum. If you can soak a cup of cashews, you got it made (and if you can't, well, then it's high time you did). It won't kill you to familiarize yourself with a slab of tofu, either. Anyway, within 1 week I probably logged 30 hours in the kitchen (yes, I am gainfully employed). The Yakisoba is now on my list of repeats, as it is quick, easy and delicious. The Seitan & Broccoli with Pantry BBQ pulled together quickly and exceeded my taste bud expectations (I used packaged seitan, although I usually make my own). Nothing makes me happier than finding a new use for beets, and the Bistro Beet burger was not only tasty - but pretty. Yes - aesthetics count. The Malai Kofta in Korma sauce is the last nail in the coffin for me in never going out to eat Indian again (and I used to 2-3x/week). Plus, she's considerate enough to ensure there is enough leftover sauce to slather on everything. Finally, the Glam Chowder is worth the price of the book alone. Really.

A word on Isa's baking prowess. With the exception that us highlanders living at altitude have to compensate the leavening, (143 million people on the planet live above sea level, but I digress), I can say unequivocally, that Isa's baking recipes give the most consistent end product of any recent vegan cookbook I've encountered. Banana marble loaf. Enuf said.

From the 'retired' graphic designer perspective, the book is beautiful. It is on matte paper, great color theme, and the fonts are whimsical and easy to read! (I'm lookin' at you, Enchanted Broccoli Forest!) Plus, I love her new 'do~

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, October 30, 2013
This book is full of delicious, comfort foody, healthy, weeknight-friendly recipes. Between recipe testing and cooking from this book for a week now, I've made over 90 recipes, and so many have become regulars in my household. I've been cooking vegan food daily for about 4 years now, and this book has changed the way I cook and compose meals, making me more efficient in the kitchen. The food tastes and feels complicated, but most of it is deceivingly simple. Even in the "Sunday Night Suppers" section, which features slightly more intricate dishes, they're simplified to the point that you're not spending hours laboring in the kitchen for an impressive meal. Did I mention that this thing is a huge hardcover with a billion beautiful photos? There's that too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant Classic, October 23, 2013
This is an absolute must-have cookbook, and I highly recommend it, for multiple reasons.

First, it's gorgeous. The colors are beautiful, the photos are amazing, even the paper is nice. I know I'll be gradually ruining it because I'll be using it so much--would it be that weird to get a second copy to keep on the coffee table?

Secondly, I've found Isa's recipes overall to be basically infallible. Though I clearly haven't made all of the recipes in Isa Does It because I just received it yesterday, a few of these recipes are already beloved in my house, as they're available on her website, and every other recipe of hers I've tried in her other cookbooks has been amazing. The first place I turn before I make anything is to [...] or Appetite for Reduction, and I never regret it.

Third, the concept is so useful, and the recipes really hold true: I can see every single one of the recipes fitting into my weeknight routine (and being a vast improvement). I also really appreciate the way the recipes are written as kind of cooking lessons (in Isa's trademark tone, which I find both friendly and hilarious), and I appreciated the list of necessary tools ( and grocery guidelines. (The chapter on Vegan Butchery is also not to be missed.)

I've been vegan for about 3 years, but the recipes in this book would fit seamlessly into an omnivorous household as well. This is a big, hefty, beautiful cookbook with a wealth of information in addition to the 150 recipes, and I think it's a vital addition to the kitchen of anyone who eats, basically.

5.0 out of 5 stars Isa Does It...again!, November 4, 2013
I have two of Isa's cookbooks and have tried a few of the recipes on her website and have run across a few that we either thought were too bland or found that the recipe didn't work as it should - this is to be expected. However, we've been cooking our way through this book since we got it (pre-ordered from Amazon) and we have yet to find a bad recipe.

So far we've tried (and loved):
New England Glam Chowder (twice!)
Sun Dried Tomato Penne with Broccoli
Tempeh Orzilla
Falafel Burgers
Baked Curry Fries
Tofu and Mushroom Stroganoff
Chai Snickerdoodles
Rosemary Chocolate Chip Cookies

This cookbook has sold my slightly less than vegan husband and his rather suspicious coworkers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Isa Does It In Style!, October 26, 2013
Received this cook book today and although I have probably 10 vegan cook books, this absolutely is the best one I've seen! I have all of Isa's books and she has really perfected her cook book writing craft with this one.

To start- the cover is embossed and has a great feel. The pages of the book are slightly colored and have a wonderful feel to them also. And most of the recipes have beautiful photos! (The photographer did an awesome job with the staging of the dishes.) The recipes are well laid out with lots of side notes for techniques and tips. The only drawback is that some of the font is rather small for easy reading.

I have already tried several of the recipes, because she's been posting them on her Face Book page. Her Tempeh Orzilla is the best! Quite a while ago Isa asked her FB friends if there were any dishes that they would be interested in her including in her new cook book. I asked for a filling for tacos and was thrilled to discover that she has TWO taco recipes in this book! Thank you Isa!

This cook book would make a great gift to an established vegan, or someone who is interested in giving this cuisine a try. And be sure to buy one for yourself- you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Isa does it again!, October 29, 2013
While basic vegan cooking is not tough, you can really be a star if you learn some of the techniques explained in this book. Although I am a long-time vegan, the section on "vegan butchery", in addition to having an amusing name, was helpful instruction in using "vegan proteins", so they may be incorporated into meals. I'd have bought the book for those pages alone.
I do have one beef, if you excuse the expression: The pages and images are beautiful, but I'd trade the artwork for bigger, more legible print, particularly in the recipe pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Isa Does it, and I Love it!, December 11, 2013
This book is a tome, a beautiful, wonderful, amazing, drool-inspiring tome. It's the kind of thick, heavy hardcover book that you could use to knock someone out with - and it's loaded with delicious recipes. I am a big fan of Isa, her recipes are always fantastic, and I've had such great luck with all of her books. Her last book "Appetite for Reduction" has long been one of my favorite cook books. I loved it for it's simplicity, it's ease, and it's deliciousness but I think Isa really outdid herself with this book. Two recipes in and it already won my heart, becoming my new favorite and my new `go-to.'

For the most part the recipes are simple, and easy to prepare - as the title might suggest. Most of the ingredients are common pantry staples, and the focus of the recipes is on whole foods, rather then processed meats/cheeses/sauces. There are a few more complicated dishes meant to be made on days off or during periods of free time, but most recipes can be made in 30 minutes or less which I love. It's been my experience that a lot of quick recipes rely heavily on processed ingredients to keep the cooking time short, or else they are pretty uninspired. Not so with Isa's recipes, every recipe feels gourmet, every recipe looks and tastes like it took you hours but they all come together in a snap. This is the first cook book I've bought in a while where I really - honestly - want to make every recipe. In fact, everything looks so good that it's been very hard for me to decide what to make next.

A few other things you may like to know before buying this book are that thee is no nutritional information. Also many of the recipes use seitan, tofu, and cashew cream. None of these things bother me, but it may be of a concern to anyone who follows a gf, sf, or nut-free diet. On the plus side Isa includes possible substitutions for these things, and provides a wealth of information - not only on quick and easy substitutions - on basic kitchen skills, tofu butchery, make-ahead tips, pantry staples and so on. The photography is also gorgeous, and there are many full-page color photos - every other page it seems like. The paper used for the pages is thick, heavy duty so it won't tear easily like in other books. My only real complaint is that the writing for the recipe introduction, ingredient list and notes or tips is quite small. This may not be a big deal for some, but for those of us with less then perfect eyesight it can be somewhat challenging especially when the writing is set against colored pages. Some people may also be dismayed that several of the recipes in the book are offered on Isa's Post Punk Kitchen blog for free, but this doesn't bother me. I love blogs, but I prefer cook books - they're a lot easier to bring into the kitchen then my computer.

I've tried quite a few recipes from the book so far, and I can honestly say that each one has been a winner. I haven't made a single recipe yet that I didn't like, nor a recipe my husband didn't like. Each one has been delicious and full of flavor, some of them have real depth of flavor which amazes me due to their ease and simplicity. It's obvious that Isa put a lot of hard work into this book, and I very much appreciate it. This is what I've made so far.

Sweet Potato and Red Curry Soup with Rice and Purple Kale - LOVED IT
Harina with Eggplant and Chickpeas - Loved it!
Wild Rice Soup with Browned Seitan Strips - Loved it
New England Clam Chowder - Loved it!
Pesto Soup with Gnocchi, Beans and Greens - Loved it!
Butternut Bisque with a Coconut Swirl - Loved it! Probably the best butternut bisque ever!
Sesame Slaw with Warm Garlicky Seitan - Loved it
Quinoa Caesar Salad - Loved it!
Dragon Noodle Salad - Loved it!
Ranch Salad with Red Potatoes and Smokey Chickpeas - Pretty good, but the chickpeas were PHENOMENAL!
Baked Garlic-Curry Fries - Loved it!
Olive Lentil Burgers - Pretty good!
Chicky Tuna Salad Sandwiches - Loved it
Edamame Hummus and Tofu Wraps - Amazing - the Edamame Hummus is incredible!
Ancho Lentil Tacos - Loved it!
Roasted Red Pepper Mac and Cheese - Pretty good
Roasted Butternut Alfredo - Loved it, simply Amazing!
Tofu Mushroom Stroganoff - Loved it -however my favorite is still her stroganoff from VWAV
Lentil-A-Roni - Loved it!
Acorn Squash Risotto - LOVED IT! Really, really amazing!
White Wine Risotto with Peas and Shiitake Bacon - Loved it!
Seitan and Wild Mushroom Stew - Loved it, seriously best stew ever!
Everyday Pad Thai - Loved it, best Pad Thai I've ever made, and I'm super picky about my Pad Thai.
Good Gravy Bowl with Broccoli and Seitan - Loved it, the gravy alone is amazing!
Cozy Hummus Bowl - Loved it!
Pizza Bowl - Loved it!
Nirvana Enchilada Casserole - Loved it!
Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Seared Brussels Sprouts and Tarragon Cream - Loved it, just `to die for!'
Steamy Beany Sausages - Loved them,. Probably some of the best seitan sausage I've ever made.
Classic Baked Tofu - Loved it
Scrambled Chickpeas - LOVED IT! I really can't stress enough how amazing this was!
Puffy Pillow Pancakes - Loved it
Carrot Cake Pancakes - Loved it
Sinfully Wholesome Waffles - Loved it!
Lemon Blueberry Loaf - Loved it
Corn Muffins - Loved it!
Rosemary Chocolate Chip Cookies - Loved it, these were seriously incredible!
Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies with White Chocolate Chips - Loved it, simply amazing!
Orange Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake - Loved it

Because of the ease of the recipes, and the diversity I think this would be the perfect cook book for a curious omnivore, a newbie vegan, a seasoned busy vegan, or anyone really. The book is amazing on every level, and I really can't say enough good things about it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything a cookbook should be, November 2, 2013
Let me start with the shallow stuff...this book is gorgeous. Isa's books have good production values, but this one is in a league of its own. It's a big hefty thing printed on heavy paper, with such attractive layout, fonts and photography. It's a coffee table-worthy book like you might see by one of the big celebrity chefs, like a Thomas Keller, etc.

Of course, more important are the appeal and quality of the recipes, and so far I'm impressed with both. I can honestly say that most of the dishes look like foods that I will enjoy, and I look forward to making many of them.

I've made the Pesto Soup (admittedly using cheese tortellini instead of gnocchi...couldn't find frozen gnocchi, and sorry, y'all, I'm vegetarian not quite vegan) and the Sweet & Sour Brown Rice Salad. Both need slight tinkering the next time I make them (my soup tasted too strongly of basil and garlic, and the salad was slightly too sweet), but were very delicious. Like, "I can't believe I made this myself" good! When I plated the rice salad, it even looked like one of my high-end meals out in San Francisco...it was a beautiful thing.

I just pulled a batch of the oatmeal cookies from the oven (substituting dried cherries for raisins), and they are superb. And they go from pantry to mouth in about 20 minutes, so it will definitely be my new default cookie recipe.

I don't cook every day, and I'm lazy in the kitchen. These recipes are EASY. Isa has done a mind-blowing job of developing recipes that are simple, AND wholesome, AND tasty. There are so many recipes I can't wait to try. The alphabet soup is on the menu for tomorrow, and I'm making a shopping list for some others right now. Thanks Isa, you make me feel like I can actually become a good cook!

ARRAY(0xa777ff48)