Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$2.99

on August 28, 2012
Maybe I expected too much of this story, because I read another book by this author and really loved it. With this one, there were too many places that rambled. I began skimming through because I wanted to see how it all turned out, but it just didn't hold my interest. Then there was that one scene early on with the teenager, Matthew. His sister and her friend were listening to him through the wall -- what did that have to do with the story? For me, it was like finding a hair in the food. You know it was probably harmless, but you wish it hadn't of been there because it spoiled the enjoyment of the meal. Also, I didn't like the main character.

The novel jumped from present to past and back quite often, which was confusing. I can only read for a short time in order to work it in throughout my days, so it was difficult to keep track of when the events happened. There were a lot of names in the book as well -- the young teenage girl interacts with her mother, then as an adult, she interacted with her daughter -- I would have to stop and think, "is this taking place when she was a kid, or as an adult," because the time period jumped around so often.

I do recommend her other book, "Three Moons over Sedona." Every page held my interest, and really enjoyed reading it.
on February 6, 2012
Let me preface this review by stating I felt the writing itself was just about flawless I cannnot find anything I would critique about it. This book brought my emotions to the fore front for sure. I so related to the h and her teen daughter's behavior you didn't know whether to kiss or kill her, the same goes for the h mother....I wanted to duct take her mouth more than once and also cry for her pain. I will say that for those of you that cannot take death and depression this book is not for you it is reality personified at times. The story was realistic about coping with young peoples as well as old folks deaths, divorce, lost love it was very painful to read. I cried buckets full of tears for this one. There was deceit, lies, love and hate you name it this book had it. You will want to rip peoples hair out and kick others in the crotch when their down. You will want to hug, kiss and take others pain from them it just drags every emotion out of you. I just wanted to help the characters healso badly. I pride myself in solving Claudia's secret within the first 33% of the book and really hated her for the way she handled. It's the next day after reading the book and I still am mad at her and the ones she confided in. Wild horses couldn't keep me from revealing that kind of secret to one of my loved ones no matter what pain it may cause they had the right to know. Lies and secrets tend to come back and bite you in the back I look forward to a sequel and hope this is addressed somehow. My thanks to the author for the nights entertainment I stayed up untill 2am to finish it, then couldn't sleep thinking about it finally at 4am I snoozed. Happy Reading, Enjoy as I did.

P.S. Sorry for typing issues I have a broken finger and hard to navigate... no I didn't break it while reading this. lol

I highly recommend it and was soooo happy to have been able to download it for free. Cudo's to you author for this work of art.
on October 6, 2012
The author does a really good job writing from women's perspectives, be it 15 year old girls or 40+ women. No sugarcoating, no political correctness, just an honest story with of course a bit of romance (okay, quite a lot of romance) in it.
I downloaded it because I wanted a break from reading tons of technical material and statistics (for work), so I wanted something that wouldn't be too heavy and I was not dissapointed. It could have done with a bit of humour, because it was all quite serious, but I really liked the way the author described how relationships developed: very realistic and (I think) very recognizable for a lot of women. Job well done!
on December 10, 2011
After I read THREE MOONS OVER SEDONA, I had to read ISLAND PASSAGE. Ms. Hartzler has a way of touching one's heart with her words. I loved the setting of Middle Bass Island, one of the Lake Erie Islands.
on November 3, 2011
So much about Francine and Claudia's friendship, summers on the island, that struck a personal chord for me as I think it will for all women who read this fine book...connections of the sort that are neither severed by the passing of time nor distances that separate...a line from the book is now permanently etched in my mind: "...an acute awareness that life never gives anyone the chance to live one moment of it over again"...how true...carpe diem, grab the bull by the horns, and "face the music"...all there! Bravo!
on July 28, 2013
Francine Durrett's husband leaves her for a younger woman and she did not realize the marriage was in trouble. So in shock, she takes her 15 year old daughter Megan, back home to her family's summer house on Middle Bass Island on Lake Erie. Francine goes through denial and depression over the end of her 19 year marriage. Francine's mother, Marian lost her husband (Francine's father) five years earlier and is still coping with her grief. There is a tense relationship between Francine and her daughter due to the divorce. There also seems to be a lack of respect on Francine's part towards her mother.

The book moves around from 1968, when Francine was 10 years old to 1998 when she is 40 years old. Francine spent all of her summers on Middle Bass Island with her family, including her brother, Matthew and her friend, Claudia. Their lives intertwine but yet were also distant during those 30 years. I don't want to give any of the plot away so will only mention that there is healing and great realization of the past in this book.

I loved all of the characters, even when I was annoyed with Francine's insensitivity, I still understood who she was. Claudia and Marian were definitely my favorite characters and I felt like there was a message for me with their life lessons.
The ending of the book had a special surprise that I did not see coming. How delightful for the author to shock me! This is a book that I will remember for a long time.

There were several great recipes at the end of the book.
on October 4, 2012
Excelent and emotional storry of love,life and consequences!

I love the way France and Claudia became fast friends on that first day.

I love the way the author protrade how real life is, complicated and simple all at the same time! How life always circles back to where it should be no matter what happens in the middle.... Of youth, mistakes and how life always will get it right in the end!

This book will remind you of your life some how... It will fill you with every emotion posible... It will remind you to be greatful for what you have and show you how to forgive both others and your self.

This is a great book full of tragity, love, emotions and how life really is. Well worth the read....
on June 20, 2012
First let me say that this book came to me in a very unexpected manner as I usually read non-fiction and biographies. Ms. Hartzler is a good writer, a good story teller yet many of the characters in this story seem to be made or broken by men and too much happened in a very short span of time, but this is fiction so I really shouldn't criticize.
I'm now reading Three Moons over Sedona and found it compelling, as I've also felt very much like the primary character there. Sherry seems to know very well what's like to have your heart broken and your self esteem flattened through the deceitful actions of a man.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 20, 2013
I recently read another book by this author, and was excited to read this book. I am so glad I did. Sherry Hartzler has a way with building characters you can easily come to love. This book has a lot of really good dialogue. The characters are interesting and make you want to keep turning pages. One of the things that made this book pleasurable for me, was that the author seems to be able to get inside the head of her characters and make them believable. You read this book wondering what will happen next, and the result at the end is not disappointing.

This book centers around relationships and the author has done a very good job of giving her characters histories and emotional depth, which made me feel closer to the story.

This book started out interesting and kept moving at an even clip throughout. The plot was good and the author got right to the heart of the story. As the book progresses, you are taken back to the past and then to the current again, but it didn't confuse me. The story has a natural flow. I enjoyed this book and it was worth the time to read it. I would recommend this.
on January 17, 2012
This book was just as good as Three Moons over Sedona. I love the characters, the recipes, and your style...Now I want more....please