Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing DOTD

VINE VOICEon January 13, 2004
Christopher Moore is simply one of the most inventive and funny writers around. He doesn't take his books "seriously" a la the very funny Kurt Vonnegut. They are feel good novels, and they are WACKY!!! ISLAND OF THE SEQUINED LOVE NUN is one of his better ones, because the main characters are particularly loveably painted for us. Tucker Case, our main character, is a ne'er do well pilot for a Mary Kay kinda corporation, who ruins his career when he takes a girl on the company jet and causes a serious accident. He gets a chance to elude prosecution when he's hired by a mysterious missionary organization to fly their jet from an obscure Micronesian Island to Japan for "medical supplies" for the natives.
I'd really rather not try to summarize more of the plot, because virtually every chapter introduced a new twist or engaging character, and there are A LOT of chapters. The book flies by as Case and his supporting cast go from one dilemna to another.
And as often happens in Moore's books, there are relationships of either love or friendship that develop unexpectedly during the story, and suddenly, we find ourselves not only laughing outloud at the silly antics and outrageous plot turns, but we are caring about the main characters. This is rare in writing that is so flip and over-the-top.
Moore's books are fast-moving and you're sorry when they are over. LOVE NUN is particularly winning, and if you haven't tried Moore before, this is a good place to dive in. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED (not for kids...lots of language and some naughty goings-on.)
22 comments|72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 15, 1997
Christopher Moore is emerging as one of the most original writers of the decade....easily! In "LOve Nun" he has managed to blend suspense and intrigue in an action-packed story that keeps you doubled over with laughter. Unlikely combination? I'll say, but to read it is to believe it. Moore is a writer whose sharp wit pierces the armor of reason, respectability, and righteousness with constant mirth and good spirits. I can't recommend the book highly enough. I've already given away a dozen "must read" copies to friends.

If you haven't read any of Moore's books, fill your shopping cart right now with "Practical Demonkeeping", Coyote Blue, "Bloodsucking Fiends"
and "Island of the Sequined Love Nun." You are in for a treat.
Call in sick tomorrow and read, read, read and shout with laughter.
No, I'm not Moore's father, brother or even brother-in-law. Never met the guy and might even be afraid to go near somebody so goofy, but I can't put his books down.
on October 5, 2006
Okay. I like humor. Some people tell me, based on my looks, it's darn good I like humor, 'cause I sure need a sense of it. I like funny movies, funny stories, dirty jokes; what I don't see a whole lot of, are funny books. I mean, laugh-out-loud funny books.

ISLAND OF THE SEQUINED LOVE NUN is a witty exception. I had read Christopher Moore before ("Coyote Blue"), and while I enjoyed his work, his humor was just a tad too quirky (and for me, that's saying something). But with this book, I had a good time from the moment I started reading, right up until I finished the last page. Moore has a great gift of getting inside the heads of his characters, making them react to stuff they don't want to react to, and putting them in situations they don't want to be in. . .and he pulls it off with supreme comedic flair. I won't go into the plot (there are already hundreds of reviews here doing that), but suffice it to say Tucker Case is one likeable, funny bad boy. His adventures (or, more accurately, misadventures) make for a delightful read--a read augmented by the supernatural (a Moore staple), good and evil, and some compelling moments.

But I'm thinking too much (and once again, for me that's saying something); ISLAND OF THE SEQUINED LOVE NUN is a darn funny book. Not only that, it's a good book, a very good book, brilliantly written. I'm definitely looking forward to reading more of this author's work.

--D. Mikels, Author, WALK-0N
VINE VOICEon May 7, 2000
Christopher Moore has to be one of the most brilliantly bizarre people on the planet. Either he was dropped on his head as a small child or he was touched by the literary gods (I'm betting both). Moore does it once again in ISLAND. He presents quirky characters, a zany plot and absolutely hilarious dialogue. I couldn't put this book down! I carried it with me everywhere until I finished it, and I often was the object of curious stares as I guffawed my way through the reading in public places.

Moore has a knack for creating the bizarre. Tucker Case, hero of ISLAND, finds himself in a "sticky" situation (you'll understand the pun once you read the novel) one evening while "entertaining" a young lady in the cockpit of his plane. From there on, the novel is nonstop hilarity as Case first runs away from the law and then has to run for his life. He finds himself on an island with natives fascinated by Americana, bored druggie pseudo-missionaries out to exploit the island, and a transvestite with a sunglass-wearing bat as a pet. Case just wants to save his hide but finds himself as the hero time and again.

It's difficult to place Moore into any particular genre. Part fantasy, part comedy, part sci fi, part horror, part drama....If you read nothing else this year, pick up any of Moore's novels. All of them are well worth your time.
VINE VOICEon October 1, 2003
Christopher Moore is a seriously demented writer! After reading "Lamb", and enjoying it tremendously, I just had to read more of his works, and I selected this one because of the wierd title, and it turned out to be a good choice. Where else can you read a plot about a disgraced pilot, a cross-dressing Filipino with a talking fruitbat, a ghostly airman who is considered a god, a cannibal, Japanese ninjas, cargo cult natives, and a pseudo-goddess. These are only some of the more unusual aspects of this writer's odd mind, and they combine into a very entertaining read. Not great literature, I grant you, but a terrific way to spend some hours chuckling to yourself, and often laughing out loud, to the consternation of those around you. Of course, with the rather ribald cover, you don't necessarily want to call attention to yourself in public, but a brown paper book cover will do nicely.
on September 18, 2005
Island of the Sequined Love Nun is the wacky, entertaining tale of Tucker Case, a "hopeless geek trapped in a cool guy's body." On the run from his former employer's goons (he crashed the company jet while having sex with a hooker in the cockpit), he ends up as a pilot for a missionary on a small Micronesian island where all is not what it seems.

The best part of Island is the characters. They're delightfully crazy and include a cross-dressing navigator, a talking bat, an old cannibal who isn't allowed to eat humans anymore, and a tribe of native Micronesians that is obsessed with People magazine. They're all quirky and fun to read about and though most of them don't have too much depth, it's not really needed. They're caricatures and wonderful ones. That's all that they need to be for this story.

The best parts of the story are those that feature one or a few of the characters doing things that are only minimally related to the actual plot of the book. The little peaks into their lives enhanced the caricatures, gave a small peak into their motivations, and provided a lot of amusement for the reader. After all, where else can you find a High Priestess of a small island tribe who is obsessed with shoes and soap operas and isn't even a member of the tribe?

The plot of Island of the Sequined Love Nun is extremely far fetched and full of holes, but it somehow works. It's almost like those things that are so ridiculous that they have to be true...because nobody would actually make something like that up. This is so ridiculous that it's easy to suspend disbelief and just enjoy it. Nothing really fits, but when it's put together it somehow makes a coherent whole, one that's enjoyable in its own crazy way.

Really, the only way to describe Island of the Sequined Love Nun is that it's just crazy. It shouldn't' work, but it does, thanks to Moore's talent at pulling together stories that are as strange and amusing as his titles. Jibes and jokes abound in the story as Moore pokes fun at just about everything he can. Some are obvious, some are subtle and no reader will catch them all, but there are enough to keep almost anyone amused all the way through the book.

Island of the Sequined Love Nun is not great literature, but it is highly entertaining and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a few chuckles. Nothing was really laugh-out-loud funny, but the majority of the book was highly amusing and entertaining. Anyone who likes out-there humor will likely enjoy this book very much.
on June 22, 2011
I want to trumpet that "Christopher Moore has done it again!" but that would be somewhat out of place since this book was released a while ago so the technical explanation of the quality of this book would be more like "Christopher Moore does it for the first or second time!".

I have to say, after reading this book, that I am finally unashamed to say that I am a Christopher Moore fan. I suppose I should be, since this is the fifth or sixth book of his that I have absolutely devoured in the way that is hard to do after having the fun sucked out of a lot of reading because of graduate studies in English. It was this past and my own literary snobbish that didn't want to be a Christopher Moore fan. His books are marketed so that his audience is the same kind of clever woman that reads Tom Robbins books (another author I have an fraught relationship with). I mean, this book has a bright pink cover, one that screams "The man reading this has obvious feminine qualities. When he watches the Harry Potter movies he wants to be Granger, not Potter," and things of the sort. But I have no shame. Moore makes me want more.

I'll gloss on the plot: Tucker Case is a pilot with a past, and a future. After burning out as the personal air chauffeur of a Mary Kay stand-in, he is engaged as a jet pilot for a missionary couple on a Pacific island with a suspiciously large amount of money. Mysteries are solved, laughs are had, and freedom is sought. We also get to have a look at cargo cults and shark hunts. I won't be able to do it justice: you should probably just read the book.
on November 24, 2012
The protagonist of the story, Tucker "Tuck" Case, who is a pilot and not exactly the brightest bulb on the planet, is also dealing with low self-esteem issues. Before the story settles down on a remote, Pacific island named Alualu, it is littered with quite a few colorful, characters. Through a series of misadventures Tuck eventually winds up on the dinky island. The place is inhabited by a modern medical building, an airstrip, two odd "missionaries," six Japanese guards, over three-hundred natives called the Shark People and a talking fruit bat. Oh, and I almost forgot, a very old cannibal named Sarapul. If that isn't strange enough, there's a god called Vincent who the natives worship.

Mr. Moore reminds me of a literary version of the famed Coen Brothers who have created such odd, funny movies as "Fargo" and "The Big Lebowski." I find the author's works very enjoyable simply because it's impossible to know how the story is going to unfold. Pretty much, it's the sky's the limit in Mr. Moore's hilarious novels. There is no taboo he isn't willing to skewer. Heck, I don't even assume that the main protagonist will not be killed somewhere in the middle of the story. The first two-thirds of this rollicking adventure is shrouded in the mystery as to why Tuck's faults are suited so well for being the island's pilot. The last third is wondering how it will be resolved.

The book had me laughing on page one and kept it up for the entire work. Mr. Moore certainly has a gift for colorful, hilarious prose. The author has become one of my go-to writers if I'm in urgent need of a light read that is chockfull of laughs. If you've never read a Christopher Moore novel, his fourth work is as good a place to start as any.
on January 12, 2000
I got hooked on Christopher Moore novels about a year ago and have read all five of his books. By far "Love Nun" is his best. Moore's ability to write characters that jump from the page is amazing. From the fruit bat Roberto to the Ninja guards I found Moore's mind to capture all traits needed to earn a five star from me.
The story is a modern day Moses tale, with a somewhat loser Moses, set in Micronesia. A story that dives into religion, politcs, the mob, history and the make-up industry. The story keep me intrigued and the laughs kept on coming. All of Moore's books are good, but if you have to pick one to read on a island, with a bunch of cannibals in the jungle pick this one.
on October 30, 2015
“Island of the Sequined Love Nun” is great for reading with your toes in the sand, the ocean pounding on the shore, and the sun beating down on you. It will add to the atmosphere. It is an earlier work of Christopher Moore and is humorous, but not laugh out loud vulgar like some of his more recent books. I prefer this. The text is also very fast paced. In fact it reads like an action adventure novel at times.
The protagonist of “Island of the Sequined Love Nun” is a colossal screw-up pilot, Tucker Case. Tucker is a well-developed character and his moments of self-reflection have some real depth to them. Tucker is a screw-up with a moral sense. There is right and wrong in his life, even if he does not always live up to its standards. There are some caricatures in the text also, but it creates a nice working mix to the cast of characters. One of my personal favorites is the old cannibal Sarapul. This character demonstrates how good Moore is at slipping slang into a character’s speech that is not at all realistic, but boy is it funny.
Religion and what constitutes faith is a key component in the book, and Moore seems to be mocking both (a little) and celebrating them (a lot). Pulling off that hat trick makes for great satire. And it gives this work some of its better moments.
I believe this is one of Moore’s stronger efforts. There are few to no slow moments. The ending is not great, but it works. “Island of the Sequined Love Nun” is clever, and there are not many books out there that examine cargo cults, faith, and sex in quite the manner this text does. Enjoy it.