Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Island of Terror [VHS]
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on September 1, 2001
In the late 60's, my mom packed the four of us kids into the station wagon and took us to the drive in theater to see a showing of four horror movies. Island of Terror was the third...and the best! I still remember being afraid to get up to go to the bathroom at night because I was SURE that the silicates were on the hallway ceiling waiting for me!
Of course, this is a low-budget horror flick made by a Hammer rival, but for what it is, it's still pretty darned good. The special effects aren't bad for the period, with unique and interesting creature design, sound effects and blatant rubber bodies... But a decent script, capable actors and the cold damp atmosphere of an Irish island directed by Hammer veteran Terence Fisher result in a memorable fun-filled and sometings even genuinely creepy good time. Cushing and Judd move things along nicely, and the supporting cast of does a nice job of adding local color.
on February 4, 2000
I saw this movie as a child and couldn't sleep for a week. It wasn't uncommon to catch this movie during the evening or late show in the late 60s and early 70s. Unfortunately, the versions I'd watched as a child wre often brutally edited by the local television station. I'd searched - since the arrival of videocassettes - for a copy of this movie. When I finally tracked down a copy a few years ago, I was almost reluctant to watch it. I'd enjoyed the feature so much as a child, I was afraid - as an adult - I'd find it silly and contrived. Not at all. I enjoyed it just as much as I had all those years ago. Watching the video provided me with the first opportunity to view the film in its entirety. It was great! The video release also features the original trailer. Island Of Terror is a tale set on a remote Irish isle in which experimentation into a cure for cancer results in a deadly new organism which feeds on bone. Peter Cushing and Edward Judd deliver believable performances and the writing is better - certainly no worse - than similar movies of its era. I have read criticism of the special effects. Indeed, they pale in comparison to effects we see today, but considering when the feature was made, I think they hold up well. In a shocking scene, one of the "Silicates" grabs Cushing by the wrist and Judd must choose between the limb and his friend's life. The result is bloody and spectacular. Okay - I will concede that the sound of a straw rattling in a milkshake cup when the creatures are "sucking" the bones from their latest victim is cheesy, but that's a minor flaw. This is a fun and fast paced thriller and while the special effects may not always be spectacular, the acting and storyline make this a terrific film.
on June 6, 2006
Neat little monster flick even if it did miss the Fifties by a few years. Good locations and color photography (filmed in 1:85 ratio) adds to the effect and the monsters are adequate for a film of this type.

Beware that the UK DVD release has the 'hand amputation/blood squirting scene' completely edited out, but I do hear that the German DVD release has the scene still fully intact.

All in all, a fun fifties style 'monster on the loose/trapped on an island' story with a tinge of British flavor which always adds some intelligence to these type of sci-fi flicks.
on September 8, 2015
Amazon has this movie listed as a region B disc. This is not true. I live in the USA and I own a copy of it and it is REGION FREE and will play in all Bluray players. It even says "REGION FREE" on the back of the case. It IS a British import, but again, it is region free.
on February 8, 2000
I saw this movie as a child and couldn't sleep for a week. It wasn't uncommon to catch this movie during the evening or late show in the late 60s and early 70s. Unfortunately, the versions I'd watched as a child were often brutally edited by the local television station. I'd searched - since the arrival of videocassettes - for a copy of this movie. When I finally tracked down a copy a few years ago, I was almost reluctant to watch it. I'd enjoyed the feature so much as a child, I was afraid - as an adult - I'd find it silly and contrived. Not at all. I enjoyed it just as much as I had all those years ago. Watching the video provided me with the first opportunity to view the film in its entirety. It was great! The video release also features the original movie trailer (The trailer IS silly and contrived). Island of Terror is a tale set on a remote Irish isle in which experimentation into a cure for cancer results in a deadly new organism which feeds on bone. Unlike the hackneyed "mad scientist creates a monster" storyline, in Island of Terror we have a group of scientists with the highest regard for life and best intentions accidently creating terrifying creatures. Peter Cushing and Edward Judd deliver believable performances and the writing is better than similar movies of its era. I have read criticism of the special effects. Indeed, they pale in comparison to effects we see today, but considering when the feature was made, I think they hold up well. In a shocking scene, one of the "Silicates" grabs Cushing by the wrist. Judd grabs an ax and must choose between the limb and his friend's life. The result is bloody and spectacular. Okay - I will concede that the sound of a straw rattling in a milkshake cup when the creatures are "sucking" the bones from their latest victim is cheesy, but that's a minor flaw. This isn't a Hammer film, but has the feel of one. This is a fast paced thriller and while the special effects may not always be incredible, the acting and story line make this a terrific film.
on July 29, 1999
I first saw this movie as a kid and it scared the hell out of me -- in that fun sort of way. It is truly a classic. Show it to your grandkids -- they will never forget it.
They dont make them like this any more.
on November 6, 2014
I'm giving this release 5 stars for effort and the film itself. The film opens with a title card reading "Restored By Pinewood," which is a hopeful beginning. Unfortunately, as the movie itself starts, one notices that something is a bit off about the image. In fact, skin tones are often tinted toward yellow, especially when the subject is on the left side of the screen. I'm not sure whether or not this is due to fading or a faulty transfer/color correction. At first, I was so upset and distracted by this problem (which runs throughout the length of the film) that I didn't enjoy the movie much. Upon second screening, I was more forgiving and got more into the movie itself. There are very few blemishes to the print itself. The sound is fine.

Reviews on the UK Amazon site mention nothing about this problem, so perhaps it is unique to my setup, although other films I have don't exhibit such color cast issues.

This is really a great film, and if you're a fan, the blu ray is worth having. Extras are sparse: a booklet with an essay and interview with producer Richard Gordon, a faded trailer, and still image gallery. Although it's a UK release, the blu ray is region free (A,B,C). This is probably the only shot for this film on blu ray. Universal owns the North American rights and they didn't even bother to release it on DVD, much less any hope for a blu ray. They did issue it on VHS and the print used for that was almost perfect, so I know they hold very good elements on this title. Too bad their elements weren't available for this U.K. release.

By the way, more people might consider this title if Amazon listed it under its real title, ISLAND OF TERROR, not ISL & OF TERROR!!
on April 22, 2011
Island of Terror stars Peter Cushing one of the greatest actors of all time.
He's mostly known for Hammer Horror movies but he played many other roles.
Here he is a professor/scientist call in to help find out about mysterious
killings where bodies of humans and animals are killed by having all the
bone removed. It's classic sci-fi horror. Kind of a cheap Hammer movie
but very well written and acted with great atmosphere. The ending is the
only part I am not crazy about but other than that highly recommended.
Where is the dvd? All the crap they release why not this? Ridiculous.
on February 22, 1999
Scientist conducting experiments to attack cancer cells instead create living organisms that attack and eat bone. After a badly misshapen body appears the locals call on medical experts to diagnose the threat and soon discover the monsters are everywhere as they divide (like cells) and multiply. Squemish scenes of monsters sucking the bones out of hapless victims makes for great saturday entertainment!
on July 8, 2001
Whats special about this movie is, THAT IT IS SCARY... which is a bit unusaul for now-days because what we have now is computerized effects. 1966 didn't have all this technology. Plus, it stars the legendary "Peter Cushing!" Buy this movie... its pretty much worth it.