Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Isle of Swords (Pirate Adventures)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 27, 2007
All hands on Deck for this wonderful new Pirate adventure from Christian Fantasy author: WAyne Thomas Batson. Now, pretty colors and fancy packaging are no replacement for a great story--which this is, but I have to say "This book even LOOKS great!" I couldn't resist it when I saw it on the book store shelf. It's the kind of hardcover novel you want to keep around for your kids...Anyway...How is the story?

Let me say that WAyne Batson keeps the action coming and the suspense as well. Every chapter ending made me have to keep turning pages--even when I knew I just had to get in bed! The story centers upon the pirate ship: William Wallace and its captain Declan Ross. The captain and crew, along with Ross' spirited teenage daughter, finds a young man who has been beaten and left for dead. The young man has amnesia and his subplot trying to recover his identity runs parallel with the action as the William WAllace eludes the British Navy and the fiercest pirate captain you're likely to read about any time soon. Bartholomew Thorne is searching for the famed treasure of Constantine on the Isle of Swords and he'll do anything (literally) to get it.

This action packed adventure has a visceral intensity to it that wasn't even found in Wayne's previous series: The Door Within (and I loved that series!) Isle of Swords sets sail into dangerous waters and never lets up for a minute. There are many fun characters and every one of them is fleshed out. Mr. Batson's high seas discriptions of life onboard these pirate vessels made me feel like I was there and that is exactly how a great story should make you feel. By the time you finish the last page of Isle of Swords, you will be glad you joined the crew of the William Wallace on this adventure, but you'll be sad that the sequel isn't out yet!--James Somers, author: The Chronicles of Soone.
on January 1, 2012
Storyline - The fearsome pirate, Bartholomew Thorne, travels the sea, leaving destruction behind and causing fear into hearts of not only settlers but also pirates. No one crosses his path... Until Captain Declan Ross kills his second in command in an attempt escape an island of Thorne's where they stopped to make repairs. While on the island, Anne, Captain Ross's daughter, finds an injured young man. They take him aboard but he doesn't remember his name or who he is. Captain Ross and his crew are on the run when they meet a strange monk with a treasure map tattooed on his back. But it isn't just any treasure but the biggest hoard of treasure in the world. As they journey to the island, the young man, called Cat, who the picked up, starts to have memories slowly come back. But they are not pleasant and cause fear in Cat. Captain Ross, Anne, Cat, and the crew of the William Wallace go on a daring adventure to find the monstrous treasure. But they are not the only ones searching. So is Bartholomew Thorne.

Personal Opinion - An exciting, pirate book... and it is Christian! How many Christian books do you know that can make pirates the good guys? Really? The adventure was fun and filled with action. The characters grew in Jesus and fought against evil. A story well strung together. Treasure haunting is something every kid dreams about and these pirates are off to find it. But, there is more to the treasure than what meets the eye. Christians applaud the wonderful lesson of what the real treasure is in this book.
on October 14, 2008
Who is he? Where did he come from? Captain Declan Ross finds a young man nearly beaten to death on the beach clutching a bag containing a green jewel. Does he dare take him on board the William Wallace or is he a crew member of the infamous pirate Bartholomew Thorne, the Captain's enemy?

Within the pages of The Isle of Swords, Wayne Thomas Batson creates a tale of intrigue, danger and adventure. Though the character of the Captain's daughter, Anne, is a little hard to believe, this story is one where the reader can feel the creaking of the ship, taste the salt of the sea spray and hear the wind whistling in the sails. This book will entice readers of all ages who love a good pirate story!
on January 9, 2015
needless graphic descriptions of a monk being skinned alive with well described tools of cutting, graphically describes human flesh falling off of a torture weapon, other descriptions of dead and rotting torture victims. yes its a story about ruthless pirates, but too much for my child...and me for that matter. eliminating these elements wouldn't have hurt the plot one bit.
on March 26, 2016
My son loved this book, and he has only really loved one other set of books in his whole life (the Gregor books). His first comment on finishing it was that someone should have made it into a movie (I agree). I read it and thought it was much better written than most of the Christian pre-teen/teen fiction out there (including one of the author's other series). It is not at all explicitly Christian or even allegorical, but there are themes that resonate with Christian ideas, and there is nothing at all objectionable. We also read the second one (Isle of Fire); he really liked it, but I thought the plot was quite a stretch at points.
on November 23, 2014
I just finished Isle of Swords and I absolutely loved it. I'm very picky about books and this is one of the best books I've ever read. Action, adventure, humor, creepiness, suspense, and more all wrapped in an excellent story that is totally believable. As a Christian man, I really appreciate the opportunity to read an excellent book without any inappropriateness and some Christianity intertwined into the story. I read the Door Within by Batson and I really like it but I like Isle of Swords even better. I am just starting Isle of Fire and will post a review when I finish but I have a feeling it will be just or certainly nearly as good. Thanks for the entertainment.
on October 16, 2008
This book is amazing, no doubt about it. But what makes it so?

1. Captivating beginning. It has a beginning that will make you wonder and want to read more.
2. A book with movement. This book will carry you away with action and adventure. It has a plot that moves, not one that feels like it stops every chapter and just drags on and on...
3. It's a clean read. Are you worried about a book every time you turn the page, whether or not it will be OK? Worry no longer! If this was a movie, I would give a PG rating because of the intensity. But there is no reason to worry about language or any inappropriate scenes.
4. Great characters. These are characters you'll begin to know and love. At the end, I really wished I could meet them!
5. Its a classic. Seriously, it is. Its on my top 10 list.
6. It has an ending that will make you want to read the sequel. Have you ever read a book where the ending is kind of lame? Well... THIS IS NOT THAT KIND OF BOOK! Make sure you have the sequel ready to read when you finish this book. You'll be dying to know what happens.

Please don't ignore this book! You'd really miss out on a great book. And for the people out there who have read this book already, they would agree completely with me.
on March 9, 2016
This was a gift for my 11 year old grandson that loves to read. It was recommended to me by a mom of an 11 year old boy, so I thought that we'd give it a try. My grandson really enjoyed the story, so I just ordered the next book for him.
on May 29, 2013
I read The Door Within trilogy also written by Wayne Thomas Batson and loved them so much, I went looking for other books by him. This one is fun, really holds your attention, and has Christian themes that are far from preachy. He weaves truth into this pirate story so well! I would definitely recommend it
on January 23, 2012
Set sail on a rip roaring adventure on the high seas! From the blue Caribbean to the wild North Atlantic, follow Captain Declan Ross and the fierce (but loveable) crew of the William Wallace. Originally forced to turn to piracy, Declan Ross seeks enough wealth to leave behind the so called "sweet trade" and settle down ashore with his daughter Anne.

Anne, however, does not share her father's desire. To top it all off, the Wallace is short of supplies, leaking water, and caught in the hunting grounds of the worst pirate in history: Bartholomew Thorne. It couldn't get much worse, right?

Until the discovery of a brutally beaten lad abandoned on an island, a fateful fight against Thorne's second in command and a strange meeting with an even stranger Priest result in Declan Ross and the Wallace ranking number one on Thorne's most wanted list. A desperate race to find the legendary treasure of Constantine could give Ross the wealth he seeks. If Thorne doesn't find it first...

When Wayne Thomas Batson's book Isle of Swords came out several years ago, I literally devoured it. Flipping from page to page as fast and as long as I could! So, I figured it was high time I wrote a review.

True to form, Isle of Swords opens with a bang. Writers often talk about putting their characters into the worst possible situations and letting them work their way out again. Batson leaves nothing to be desired in this respect. From the start, there is absolutely no doubt as to what is at stake.

Batson's characters fairly jump off the page. Determined Declan Ross, headstrong Ann, and poor Cat who can't even remember his own name! Not to mention the fierce Red Eye who can't seem to collect enough weapons or Nubby (named for the stump of his missing arm) who serves as the Wallace's cook and whose favorite dish is Iguana Stew.

Isle of Swords is a story full of color and spice that will whisk you out of your chair and transport you to the swaying deck of a ship or drop you into the overarching palms and thick underbrush of a muggy jungle. Quick paced action, vivid settings, and characters you can't help but love, make Isle of Swords a story well worth reading. Due to violent content and evil pirates who are sometimes disturbingly cruel, I recommend Isle of Sword for readers 12+.