Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Amazon Instant Video|Change
Price:$2.99

on February 20, 2001
The hilarious Miss M does it again! Her timing is fab and she nails the delivery. Nobody can tell off God quite like Bette as trash novelist, Jackie Susann. While the movie was not a knock-your-socks-off hit, the critics are wrong. With perfectly cast supporting players, a super-ditzy 70s-style score by none other than Burt Bacharach, and wonderful costuming and sets, the film was very enjoyable and I recommend it to those who actually have a sense of humor.
Stockard Channing (who really shines in over-the-top roles) is incomparable and a perfect match to Bette. Her best lines are second only to Bette's conversations with God and her editor. Master of the stage, Nathan Lane, delivers his usual outstanding performance as the endearing, funny, supportive husband and handler of Bette's wacky, exceedingly self-centered Susann. Bette and Nathan are like cream and sugar. David Hyde Pierce brings Niles' charm and wonderful sensitivity to his character as Bette's editor. John Cleese, always a very funny guy, doesn't get nearly enough screen time or lines, but makes the very best of it anyway.
So what if the bio wasn't accurate, it never is. And the acting was not overdone at all, it was meant to be flamboyant! Will I see it again? You bet! If only just to listen Bette tell it like it is. Way to go, Miss M!
on March 4, 2014
This is the story of how "Valley of the Dolls" rose to fame and of its incredible author and the intimate details of her life and devoted marriage. It's held up by a 5 star cast: the incomparable Bette Midler and Nathan Lane, Swooise Kurtz, and David Hyde Pierce. Midler goes a little over the top, but one may assume that the real Jackie certainly was . Watching this movie (it was recommended to me) prompted me to take the original "Valley of the Dolls" out from the library and you know what? There is very little that dates the book, not its shock value, especially for its time. It's a strong film I would personally suggest adding to your collection.
on June 9, 2003
This movie was so good,funny, and affecting that I ended up seeing it twice in the cinema. Now, I'm a BIG Bette Midler fan. I mean BIG.But I can't really say that I am biased, because ANY film with her radiates such warmth, and energy, and this one is no different. This movie isn't very thought-provoking, but it is sincere,hilarious, but at the same time very, very fragile.All the costars did a solid job, but this is Bette's party, this is her movie. I won't give away the plot, but it's about a writer, Jackie Susan (she wrote 'Valley of the Dolls"), in the 60's, and she is in every sense of the word a rockstar.Over the top,dramatic, in your face, flashy, but with lots of heart and soul.She keeps getting rejected, 'till she finally gets her chance at becoming what she aspires to be- a writer. Then Jackie gets a punch, she's diagnosed with cancer. But she gets ten more years, and on those ten years, she takes you on ana entertaining and delightful ride, without ever once losing spirit. The way Bette portrayed Jackie, she made her seem like such a lovable person, warm,fiery,crazy,shrewd,witty, and full of heart-someone a lot like me.I bet Jackie was great.And you know what, so is Bette. I reccommend everyone sees this film.It's the perfect comedy, with just a touch of sad.
on July 8, 2015
Fun, sometimes even touching, movie about the trash-novelist Jacqueline Susann. Bette Midler and Nathan Lane are good as the publicity driven couple who decide, sort of off-handedly, to gratify Jacqueline's drive for status and money by making her a writer. A tongue-in-cheek nod to Miss Susann and her supportive husband.
on April 25, 2015
I really like this movie. I had no idea that Jacqueline Susann want through so much. She was a very interesting lady.

They stayed true to her life story. I purchased Valley of the Dolls and and the DVD contained a Jacqueline Susann documentary. I was able to see that this movie told the real story.
on September 1, 2014
Not a great film, but enjoyable anyway. Bette Midler was fun as Jacqueline Susann, author of several novels of a sleazy side of Hollywood and drugs, it was over the top, the kind of roles that Midler excels in. Nathan Lane was terrific as her husband Irving Mansfield who idolized her so much he would do anything for her. Of course it was fictionalized, but it was still fun. Be advised some of the language was crude so it is geared more toward adults.
Jacquelyn Susann was a well known author of best selling books. Until she came on the scene, her kind of book, down low and dirty,were not to be found. She changed the culture, and she helped to change the way books were marketed.

Jackie met Irving Mansfield in a coffee shop, she was looking for a job and her husband, Irving Mansfield, was looking for someone to represent. After a not so secure life as a TV ad actress, her husband convinced her to write a book. That book, 'The Valley of ThenDolls' became the best selling book of the year. Hernlifebhas been immortalized in this film, it is OK, but does not represent the vibrant woman we came to know. Bette Midler does a passable job of playing Jacquelyn. Nathan Lane plays her husband, not with a subtle touch, I might add. The film did not hold my interest, and I found myself fast forwarding. The scenes of New York were fascinating, the film colorful.

Recommended. prisrob 03-22-13
on February 13, 2015
Great acting by the wonderful Bette and Nathan. Sad story but great film for the time period. I love having this for my collection. Clips on youtube of the movie but ya gotta find the dvd to see it..shop amazon.
on April 5, 2013
I've always loved Bette Midler she never disappoints
her crazy antics kept me laughing. I'm glad I bought this movie
it's especially a fun movie to watch on a rainy day or when a the
day has you bummed out. it will brig a smile back.
on August 1, 2013
This was a complete surprise and, let me tell you, I'm glad I purchased it. Valley of the Dolls is an all time cult classic but what I never knew was the story of the author and how it became to be a #1 best seller. Bette Midler (my all time favorite) brings a performance that will keep you in hysterics and tears. Nathan Lane and Stockard Channing are absolutely incredible and funny, making this a must have for your collection. If you have any doubts, I encourage that you rent it first but hey, you won't be disappointed.