5.0 out of 5 stars This book is lovely!
Published on March 12, 2012 by KarenRodgers-Editor

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5
Isn't She Lovely by Bettye Griffin

This is a story about relationships based on lies; and how those lies can affect every aspect of your life.

Published on April 17, 2012 by Dianne Socci-Tetro

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is lovely!, March 12, 2012
This review is from: Isn't She Lovely? (Kindle Edition)
I always get excited when I learn that a new Bettye Griffin book has been released, because I know I'm in for a treat. Isn't She Lovely does not disappoint. Bettye eloquently tells the story of state attorney general Keith Norwood, who lost his wife and mother-in-law in a fatal accident. Keith, his teenage son, and his father-in-law are still grieving the loss when they encounter scraping-to-get-by single mother, Tracy Pegram and her children, Amber and Gabriel, in yet another unfortunate accident. While this accident does not result in the loss of life, it could cause problems for Keith who is running for governor, since his son, Josh, is its cause. Keith has the unenviable task of deciding whether he should keep the incident quiet or involve the police and risk losing the race for governor. As Keith ponders this decision he can't help but notice how lovely Tracy is. Could his grieving period soon be ending?

Bettye handcrafted the main and supporting cast of characters out of very real personalities, and there are many facets to this tale: steamy romance, parental choices, dating just for dating's sake, politics, and of course, the requisite interfering exes. This is one book that I just couldn't put down until I finished. I'm sure you'll feel the same way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, March 13, 2012
Jacob's Nana (Louisville, KY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Isn't She Lovely? (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book. Keith and Tracy met after an unfortunate accident caused by Keith's son. They went from enemies, to frienemies, to lovers, to soul mate. But, of course, there is always a jerk (in this case) or two that will try to screw it up. Wendy and Clint need to be strung up by their toes, that's all I'm saying on them. I loved that Keith maintained a relationship with his father-in-law. I'm glad that you gave us an insight into Keith's mother, because I was ready to knock her out.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5, April 17, 2012
Isn't She Lovely by Bettye Griffin

Tracy meets sexy and single Illinois Attorney General Keith Norwood after his teen-aged son, Josh, takes his grandfathers car and accidental hits Tracy's young son, Gabe, breaking his leg. Josh leaves the scene of the crime. When his conscience gets the better of him, Josh tells his grandfather. Since Keith is running for Governor, Keith and his attorney concoct a plan to keep this crime from the police. Keith decides since Gabe wasn't hurt all that badly (a broken leg) Josh can be punished at home just as well as the court can do. They also decide that they should offer Tracy, Gabe's mother, a `payoff'; to keep this all quiet.

The synopsis for the book is quite accurate so I won't go further. I will say that almost all the character's have some flaws. Some of these flaws are big some small, but everyone has them and I appreciated this. Yet, the flaws that Keith had are just almost insurmountable. Keith is `dating' a TV news anchor and for the life of me I cannot see how a man such as Keith can be so naÔve and weak willed when it comes to Wendy. He knows he needs to break up with her, since he really wants some sort of relationship with Tracy plus he was never serious about Wendy in the first plase, yet Keith won't break up with her. He tries to manipulate Wendy into breaking up with him. I get the feeling that Keith liked the idea of having this woman at his disposal and in my estimation Keith lost a lot of my sympathy with his inability to sever the relationship when he knew it was going nowhere, and would only hurt Wendy more in the end.

Actually, I could not understand how such a smart man, and a high placed politician at that, would even DATE a TV newscaster in the first place and then not have the testicles to break up with her...not smart for a smart man. However, it made for very interesting conflict!

I may not agree with how Ms Griffin chose to portray her characters and how they live their lives, but I can say that they are fairly well written. Ms Griffin has the ability to make even this unbelievable story come to life and by the end of it, the story and the characters do become a bit more believable and human.

If I could change anything, it would be the repetitiveness of much of the story; feelings and emotions told and re-told repeatedly. I almost felt as if the author didn't trust us as readers to `get it' (the problems that Keith and Tracy live with daily) as these damaged characters try to get their lives together.

There is the HEA at the end, and it was a hell of an odd ride to get there!

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it!!, March 11, 2012
This review is from: Isn't She Lovely? (Kindle Edition)
She was lovely Tracey is a strong black woman with capacity for so much love. She loves her children so much she does her best to provide for them. She meets Keith Norwood the candidate for Governor of Chicago and it changes her life. You will have to read the book to find out how but I will say this Keith go on my nerves sometimes but I understood.I felt he was a selfish some times but for the most part he was a good man. When you finish this book you will feel like you have just eaten a Thanksgiving dinner because you will be full this is a complete story of love ,heart break, betrayal,and forgiveness of oneself. I felt like this book is about real people because no one is book was perfect they were human with human flaws I really enjoyed reading this book so much so that I read all day until I read the last page.Great Job Mrs Griffin Great Job!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, April 5, 2012
This review is from: Isn't She Lovely? (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this read. The storyline was really interesting and kept me turning the pages throughout. Keith and Tracy met under unfortunate circumstances, but they really had a lot of chemistry and seemed made for one another early on in the book. There were also a few steamy love scenes which is always a plus. The one criticism I have is this book was way too long. I love a long juicy book, but there was just too much focus on these characters each and every thought. I think there was too extra much information added, and reading pages and pages of what they had going on in their heads was just too much at times. I found myself skipping through a lot of these sequences. I think 50-100 pages could easily be shed from this book. Other than that this was a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, Complex Story, August 20, 2013
This review is from: Isn't She Lovely? (Kindle Edition)
I love this book. I read all Bettye Griffin's fiction books and was skeptical about reading this book because it was a romantic book. I am not one for reading romance novels but decided to give it a chance because I enjoyed her fiction work. Let's just say this book was great. It was complex and had so much twists and turns I literally was reading it all day. The great thing was it didn't focus on the couple only but the other characters around the couple which was great. Griffin really knows how to weave different stories together. I loved that Grace, a character from Once Upon a Project, returned briefly in this book. Griffin really has a knack of giving us great character background and I really was invested in the characters. To me, it was more about the characters getting over the obstacles in their life so in a sense it was each character getting to the other side as well as it being a romantic tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!, May 14, 2013
Frankie Hughes (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Isn't She Lovely? (Kindle Edition)
I was not a big fan of Bettye Griffin until I read this book. I am a practicing celebate, and do not particularly like the sex scenes, but the premise and the characters in this book became real. Great read

4.0 out of 5 stars Lover her books!, January 1, 2013
This review is from: Isn't She Lovely? (Kindle Edition)
Once again Bettye Griffin shines! I'm not a fan of the sexual scenes though! But the story lines kept me hooked! I wish it was longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Isn't She Lovely, November 17, 2012
This review is from: Isn't She Lovely? (Kindle Edition)
Bettye Griffin holds to her high standards and substantial knowledge of all matters involving the characters in her book. I enjoyed every page of Isn't She Lovely. The characters are believable and the story takes you on a romantic, political and emotional ride that you won't want to end. I highly recommend this book for readers and as a gift for friends that they will really appreciate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome New Find, April 4, 2012
This review is from: Isn't She Lovely? (Kindle Edition)
This is the very first book that I have read by this author. I found out about her on facebook. I have to say this was an awsome read. The story between Keith, Tracy and the children was well written. This story has it all love, excitement, and a great romance. I just love these characters. Kieth's son Joshua was a great stepson. Ronald was also an awsome character in the book. He helped Keith to do what was best for himself, Tracy, Josh, Gabe, and Amber. I recommend this book!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›