Isn't this an incredibly overpriced volume?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 55 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 10, 2010 12:12:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2010 12:13:22 PM PST
Legion of Super-heroes: The Great Darkness Saga (Deluxe Edition) and Seven Soldiers of Victory are $26.49 each. The books have 416 and 400 pages respectively and both are hardcoves.

WHY this Flash book cost $47.25???. Is too expensive for a simple omnibus. Is more expensive than some Absolutes out there.

Your getting greedy by the day, DC Comics...

Posted on Nov 18, 2010 10:56:52 PM PST
S. Peterson says:
Does anyone know which issues this will contain?

Posted on Nov 19, 2010 6:07:10 AM PST
This omnibus Collects: THE FLASH #164-176, THE FLASH: OUR WORLDS AT WAR #1, THE FLASH: IRON HEIGHTS #1 and THE FLASH SECRET FILES #3.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2010 11:03:57 AM PST
Scott says:
Yeah. I think it is. I would pay $75 for Geoff Johns' entire run in hardback, not just a meager 12-15 issues. Sorry DC. You have to do better.

Posted on Dec 19, 2010 6:26:51 AM PST
B. S. Barker says:
The Starman Omnibus' are also overpriced. I would hardly call 15 issues a omnibus anyway. Marvel's Captain America Omnibus has 25 issues and is the same price. Shame too since I was wanting to read Geoff Johns first Flash run without paying out the ass for out-of-print books. Now I guess I'm paying out the ass either way.

Posted on Dec 19, 2010 6:32:51 AM PST
Starman is kind of pricey too, but consider this:

Flash Omnibus: $47.25 ==> 448 pages
Starman 6 Omnibus: $31.49 ==> 544 pages

The Starman omnibus have almost 100 more pages than the Flash one and still cost way less. Both are hardcovers, by the way.

The best way to send DC a message is not buying this overprice book. I was VERY interested in the Flash book, but not at that price. Hell no.

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 7:30:49 AM PST
Nother hit to this, so waited but repugnant, series. Btw, the "repugnant" part is due to the price.

"Omnibus" is a term used by Marvel comics to promote big hefty collections. This books normally comes without extras, normal size and hardcover. Also, it is normal that these editions comes with a number of pages no shorter than (between) 500 and 600 pages. Because of this the price is higher than normal.

This Flash "omnibus" comes with no extras, normal size but with only a squalid 448 pages at $75 RETAIL PRICE!!. Amazon price has decreased from $47 to $44.88 but I still think is a robbery!!!.

I just found a book named "The Legion of Super-Heroes - The Curse (Deluxe Edition)". This is an oversized book with a few extras, 544 PAGES at $31.49!!!!!!!!!!.

I wonder... why the Flask book cost more than $13 higher than the Legion book??.

I a-l-m-o-s-t let myself carried away and bought the Flash book with the recent discount, but my way to see is that is still a rip off. I'll get the legion book instead. I fancied the Flash one but not at that price. Should be no more than $35 at least for me to think about it.

What do you think?.

Posted on Jan 12, 2011 8:44:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2011 8:48:38 AM PST
Ryan Dixon says:
Yeah the price is ridiculous, especially when amazon has two soft-cover trades The Flash: Wonderland and Flash, Book 1: Blood Will Run for $10.78 and 12.23 respectively. It contains the exact same content minus our worlds at war for less than HALF the price.

I'll probably still buy the omni because I'm a sucker for over-sized books but DC really needs to step up the content if they wanna get higher sells on this.

Posted on Jan 22, 2011 8:14:48 PM PST
Rasen says:
That's all it contains? Man that's terrible. I was hoping it had more issues than that for that price. I wanted to go back and get the books John's wrote but that's such a rip off. What is DC thinking? :/

Posted on Jan 24, 2011 6:14:49 AM PST
Exactly!!. As I said before, I was incredibly keen to get this but the price vs page count is ridiculous.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2011 2:31:02 PM PST
Rasen says:
I agree with you 100%. I think I'm just going to order Wonderland and Blood Will Run now before Amazon runs out. I want to wait and see but at the same time I don't want to risk it. I'm sure they're going to push the Omnibus as soon as it comes out. Might have to get future volumes though for stuff like Blitz and Crossfire :/.

Posted on Jan 24, 2011 6:23:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2011 5:22:39 AM PST
Ryan Dixon says:
If your gonna order the trades you better hurry. I highly doubt DC will keep these in print with the omni looming on the horizon with a much heftier price-tag.

To reiterate the price versus content with another example, take Bendis' Daredevil run. You have the omni Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis & Alex Maleev Omnibus, Vol. 2 for almost $90 and then you have a trade Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis & Alex Maleev Ultimate Collection - Book 3 for $23. They have the exact same content, minus extras, but the omni is over 3x more expensive. It's like just putting the word omnibus on a book makes the list price automatically $75-$100 no matter what the content is. Not saying this omni isn't worth it, it has much more content than the Flash one, but in comparison with the trade the price seems a little ridiculous.

Also, Amazon has been wrong on product descriptions before so this could be the case. But if it is correct(and I know this is just wishful thinking) I'm really, really hoping they sweeten the deal somehow before the release date.

Posted on Jan 25, 2011 6:16:35 AM PST
I was checking here at Amazon and Woinderland and Blood will run is still going on but almost run out. This so called "omnibus" have 440 pages. The two mentioned trades have in total almost 400 pages and both together cost a little more than $20. What is lacking on the book certainly doesn't cost 20 more bucks.

Go for it!.

Posted on Feb 2, 2011 4:20:15 PM PST
Will this Omnibus have any of the issues from the TBPs that are out of print? Like Blitz or whatever?

Posted on Feb 3, 2011 5:56:41 AM PST
No Blitz on this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2011 8:02:00 AM PST
You know, when I first saw your post my first reaction was: stop complaining and don't buy it. That's the best way to get DC to listen, with your wallet, or lack thereof. And then I saw the "Omnibus" contained 11 regular series issues and a few related specials and like Saul on the road to Damascus, I completely changed my outlook. How can you call an eleven issue run, an "Omnibus"? And like so many on this post, I was intending to buy it. Glad I came across this otherwise I would have been pissed!!! Thanks for waking me up Xavier. Shawn

Posted on Feb 24, 2011 9:09:57 AM PST
@Shawn: I'm really touched and happy to see that people is finally seying DC true colors in these situations. It's because your type of attitud that this book went from $47 to $41.

I'm not going to get it yet though. Not until it reach the $30 and something dollar mark. At the current price is still too much for too little.

Thanks for writing...

Posted on Mar 5, 2011 8:06:30 PM PST
Ryan says:
Geoff's terrible writing these days makes me just want the Flash stuff. I have up through Sinestro Corps for Green Lantern and stopped there before it became "the guy I write is the keystone of the DCU, until the other guy I write comes back".

I do like the tpbs, but they are all Mark Waid light.

Posted on Mar 12, 2011 3:23:47 AM PST
C. Jackson says:
Xavier, I understand what you're saying. A $75 MSRP for a book containing 448 pages is rough for a non-absolute. Oddly, an Absolute edition containing 400-612+ (Sandman), I don't seem to find myself as perplexed by it and wouldn't mind purchasing it at all after the discounted rates here.

But, sour apples seem to pop up at both companies. Secret Wars omnibus at Marvel ran about 15 issues at 496 pages for $99.99 MSRP - that is ridiculous. Then again, they also showed an ability to release Secret Wars II omnibus running beyond 1,000 pages for the same rate. It was a much better deal.

I guess in the end the most you, I, and anyone else can hope for is a premium product at this price for page ratio. I do not believe Amazon will be dropping the price on here any lower than 45% without a limited time sale or system glitch (such as seemed to occured with the Captain America Lives Omnibus - where the MSRP went from $50 to $75 but Amazon's end price never changed, thus creating a pretty nicer discount than usual). So I'd suggest you may think about pre-ordering if you're interested, and as you do so search around the web for some coupon codes. Hey, if you find any, by all means share. ;) With that we can hope for better deals in the future, there is a little hope.

Although while I read more DC than Marvel, DC's current Omnibus line is rather small and unappealing to me. Green lantern was an Omnibus of 16 issues or so; the Jack Kirby Fourth World Omnibus releases I feel should have been released oversized and in only 2 seperate releases containing more content rather than 4. That's a personal preference though, because to me the more pages the better - especially if it's oversized. I have no problem holding large books, just take the dust jacket off and read away in whatever spot you'd like.

Anyways, cheers for the thread and posts. I hope you get the book for a fair price.

Posted on Mar 16, 2011 9:46:36 PM PDT
N. Pizarro says:
Is it even confirmed this is oversized? I don't remember the trim size stated in the solicits. It'll be worse if it's the same "regular" size as Starman.

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 6:17:51 AM PDT
Omnibuses are regular sizes. The term "Omnibus" is defined (by pop culture) as a compilation of books. Nothing else. No extras, no big pages... nothing. What made these volumes special was the numbers of pages in it. Mostly from 550 or more pages.

Not the case here. That's what I was talking about.

Posted on Mar 22, 2011 11:46:49 AM PDT
N. Pizarro says:
The Green Lantern Omnibus is confirmed to be oversized, and I was wondering if DC was making a conscious move towards that becoming the norm, and if Starman can really be compared to Flash if it turns out to be a "smaller" kind of book. Because prices rise. They just do. The Starman line was started years ago and has probably a different set of circumstances around it. There's things behind the scenes (royalties, restoration costs, print run numbers) that we can't take into account. DC has worse problems with their collection department, namely not collecting some stuff, AT ALL.

Posted on Mar 22, 2011 11:52:49 AM PDT
N. Pizarro says:
Also there hasn't been a $49.99 retail price Absolute Edition in years. Interestingly, Deluxe Great Darkness Saga (oversized, beautiful book, with extras and restored art from decades ago) is the same price as Seven Soldiers of Victory (not oversized, modern material you wouldn't think would need reworking on). Whole lotta can of worms, collected editions are.

Posted on Mar 22, 2011 11:59:42 AM PDT
Green Lantern Omnibus is not overzised. The cover is a little (and I mean "little) bigger than usual but the pages are the same size as the normal comics. I know this because a guy I know have it and told me.

I understand the prices go up 'cause inflation and that there's certain fees and royalties that need to be paid, but 448 pages for $75 retail is more than that. That's greed.

Posted on Mar 22, 2011 12:10:32 PM PDT
N. Pizarro says:
Finally, I don't want to give the wrong impression, I'll probably pass on this book altogether depending on its trim size and what more reactions/reviews it gets (I'm not a Johns fan but I'm willing to give him a chance on Flash and JSA), but I want to comment that the Omnibus tag isn't perfectly consistent, at all, between the different companies. Much of the criticisms I've seen against DC's collection dept. boil down to them not being Marvel's. But even Marvel, has put out thin Omnibuses before (Elektra and Devil Dinosaur), which granted collect completed works from a creative team, however they're also doing it for a long run (Death of Captain America is thin compared to most others, including the first Captain America, and its sequel isn't that much thicker by an awful lot) and they've also put out overpriced stuff like Secret Wars I (compare it to II) and Dark Phoenix Saga oversized hardcover (it's even glued binding instead of sewn!). Image's idea of an Omnibus for Walking Dead is an Absolute Edition, only thicker than most (24 issues in a tall hardcover inside a slipcase). Image is doing the exact same thing for Invincible... only they aren't calling it Omnibus this time, but Library... which over in Dark Horse is a different format of deluxe oversized hardcover for Hellboy... and they also did a quasi-Absolute for Martha Washington, and they didn't call it Omnibus or Library. Focus on the content and presentation, then the price, not the name.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  55
Initial post:  Nov 10, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 20, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Flash by Geoff Johns Omnibus, Vol. 1
The Flash by Geoff Johns Omnibus, Vol. 1 by Geoff Johns (Hardcover - May 24, 2011)
3.5 out of 5 stars   (14)