1,226 Reviews
 (1,114)

852 of 1,018 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Alyce Laviolette Puts A New Perspective on Domestic Violence!
THANK YOU SO MUCH ALYCE LAVIOLETTE! It's so reassuring to know that I can stab someone 29 times, shoot them in their head, drag their body around their house a bit and you will testify on my behalf at my criminal trial with your expertise! I don't have to worry that I've slashed their tires not once but twice and stalked them repeatedly by peering in their windows at...
Published 23 months ago by dodge1616

1,410 of 1,545 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars This Professor Says...Don't Waste Your Money
As a professor, author, and researcher in intimate relationships and sexuality, I feel qualified to assess LaViolette's book.

While some of her discussions are accurate, the difficulty lies in the fact that her thoughts and ideas are left over from the 1970s and are from a radical feminism framework (which is fine for those who adhere to that ideology); in full...
Published 23 months ago by LifeProf

1.0 out of 5 stars Steps Backwards for Abuse Victims, April 4, 2013
Robin (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It Could Happen To Anyone: Why Battered Women Stay (Paperback)
I've been involved in Social Work for over 20 years now. Worked graveyard at a battered women's shelter in Arvada, CO. a victim advocate for a sheriff's office in Idaho and as a counselor after getting my degree in Social Work. I've worked with hundreds of people from both sides, female and male, young and old, innocent and the abuser and must state that I am quite amazed at this woman's testimony. As a mental health care provider, we choose our roles and should choose carefully. We can be an advocate, a voice, or an impartial observer as Ms. LaViolette claims she is in this case. However, if we observe her words, she has horribly confused her roles in this case. She is speaking as an advocate for Ms. Arias which is unethical if you say you're an impartial witness. For example, she should always qualify her answers with, "If what I was told was correct," or "Ms. Aria's views are..." etc. Instead, Ms. Laviolette speaks, instead to, "Yes, she felt...," or worse, "He did this or that." Every time she does this, she hurts the true victims who do suffer horrible abuse. Why is she doing this? Why choose to ignore her impartial role to show her bias against men and a gentleman she has never met? A gentleman who was brutally murdered!

She is also, quite unfortunately, now in the role of an abuser when she can look this family in the eye and say what she's saying without ONE piece of evidence that he was an abuser. She only goes by one sided text messages, reads between the lines on Travis Alexanders, did not speak with his family or friends, but uses emails to say what she THINKS someone meant.

For the rest of us who are trained and deeply, truly care about victims will no longer support her. I am not the only one so far who has voiced this opinion! She has put herself on an lonely island indeed. We cannot, nor should we stand by and allow these so-called professionals to damage what we've worked so hard to build. Indeed,some of us have given our whole life to bring validity to victims.

I can only hope she looks at these reviews and rethinks her stance. Her reputation, not the money or status, should be utmost on her mind and the true victims in this case - Travis Alexander and his family. I do hope she spends time looking at his autopsy photos if she needs further push to do so.

1.0 out of 5 stars LaViolette Is A Fraud!, April 3, 2013
This woman LaViolette is a fake and a fraud. She could care less about real abuse victims.For the right price she will get on the stand,in a court of law, and defend a cold blooded sociopathic murderer ( Jodie Arias). She will trash the true abused ( Travis Alexander.) She is willing to lie, defame, and remurder true victims just for a dollar amount. She is more then happy to use the words of a proven pathological liar, to help her walk free from a horrible crime, and put her back on the street to murder someone elses son or brother. LaViolette has zero credibillity when she says that men cannot be victims of abuse or domestic violence. She is simply a man hater, period. LaViolette is a disgrace to true victims of abuse, men or women, and has done more damge to this cause then 20 people put together. Please do not purchase this book.Instead take the money and donate it to a battered persons shelter, or another charity that will help victims of abuse. LaViolette and her fictional nonsense book deserve zero stars. Mrs LaViollete SHAME SHAME SHAME ON YOU!!

1.0 out of 5 stars 29 stab wounds, 1 bullet to the head and a slit throat isn't domestic violence?, April 2, 2013
I cannot believe people would pay $50 to read something from a woman that can't see who the real victim in a relationship is. She's destroying the reputation of a dead man for $300/hour. She should never be able to sell another book about domestic violence again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really????, April 3, 2013
Carrie E. Foster (Santa Rosa, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I will be perfectly honest, I have not read this book. Nor would I ever read ANYTHING written by this woman. She has sold her soul for $300 an hour to testify for an admitted liar. How can she be in that courtroom and say the things that she has testified to knowing that the true victim's (Travis Alexander)family is in that courtroom listening to her destroy their brother's reputation. She is supposed to be an advocate for domestic violence victims, which would be Travis. How is she going to explain the brutality of the murder? How can she testify that he was an abuser? If I had been one of her patients I would be seriously reconsidering my treatments. I hope she enjoys the $$ she is making from selling her soul and her reputation. She probably won't have a practice to return to after this case. If she truly was a professional she would have never gotten involved with the trial in AZ. So sad what some people will do for a little bit of money. And maybe some publicity for her book. Coincidental timing?

1.0 out of 5 stars do not purchase this book!, April 2, 2013
I wanted to edit my review to include the following: No I have not read this book, but since this book is non-fiction and meant to be informative I posit this-if I were looking for a book on archeology, I would certainly want information about the authors credentials as well as credibility in their chosen field. Am I making sense? Therefore I believe that Ms. Laviolettes' testimony and conduct while on the stand in a court case is in fact relevant information. I would urge anyone who is thinking of purchasing this book to do a bit of research, view Ms. Laviolettes' credentials and look over her testimony, then decide if this is the book for them.

I hope that if you are looking for a credible source about domestic violence that you find an author that is credible instead of somebody that twists outdated theories and applies them to a killer and domestic abuser. This woman has no shame or self respect! Ms. La violette has sold out true victims of domestic violence for 300 dollars an hour. Basically she sold herself to the devil Jodi Arias.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the paper it's printed on!, April 3, 2013
I have read the book and heard her testimony in the Jodi Arias trial. I question her views in the book butseeing her on the stand in the trial I believe she has no creditability and her conclusions are without merit. I wouldn't waste my money buying any of her books!

1.0 out of 5 stars No credibility, April 3, 2013
This is such an important topic, and books on the matter are so necessary. But credibility of the author is crucial, and alas, Ms. Laviolette has tossed every shred of her credibility away by accepting a $250-300 an hour contract to essentially skew all the evidence in the extremely violent murder of Travis Alexander of Mesa, Ariz., in favor of defendant Jodi Arias. That Laviolette would fail to honestly examine this case and base her findings on more than the word of a known sociopathic liar and a hefty paycheck is troubling indeed.

1.0 out of 5 stars It's not the 70's anymore. Author is disingenuous and behind the times., April 2, 2013
Ms. Laviolette is a typical 1970's man hater. Nothing particularly unusual about that. However, she portrays herself as a pioneer in the world of domestic violence. Nothing could be further from the truth. She has made no innovations, no meaningful research, and does not follow peer reviewed, evidence based practice. She does exactly what mental health professionals are NOT supposed to do: make it up as you go.

She seems to have no need for research or meaningful continuing education. She seems to think she already knows it all. She wouldn't dream of leaving her comfort zone/cash cow she has constructed. Her work is completely subjective and opinion based. If she were current on therapeutic approaches, she wouldn't be defining people by and obsessing over the abuse aspect of their lives. Disgraceful woman. She's currently being paid 300$ an hour to blatantly lie for murderer Jodi Arias.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lady is stuck in the 70's, Join the real world!, April 4, 2013
I would not read this book if I was given it! Before all you people jump me for this is not an actual review.......WELL I SAY IT IS! I review stuff "BEFORE" I buy. I have watched her testify in the Jodi Arias Trial and read a few of her writings. She is a disgrace "I SAY DISGRACE" to people who are truly abused!!!!!!!!!!!! Shame on you A.L.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Book ever, April 1, 2013
In a nutshell, don't waste your money. want to know more about abuse or get help dial NDV hotline. if you would like to know more about this there are so many sites that are free and can tell you much more that this book and will save you money too.

It Could Happen To Anyone: Why Battered Women Stay
It Could Happen To Anyone: Why Battered Women Stay by Ola W. Barnett (Paperback - April 20, 2000)
Used & New from: $2.36