5.0 out of 5 stars It hurts when I poop
My daughter has had a poo poo problem for three years and FINALLY!!!!.....I purchased the book and from the first time I read it to her she started to relate to Ryan. She wanted me to read her the book at least five times a night and when she was on the toilet. People don't understand the late nights crying on the toilet for three hours at a time unless they have been...
Published on January 28, 2008 by Margaret R. MARTON

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed by lack of resolution
We've been having many of the same issues as previous reviewers and were thrilled to find this book. My 3.5 year old son was very excited to get the book "special delivery" so we read it right away. It was really neat how the character Ryan mirrored my son in every way. It was easy for us to relate to Ryan. However, I was seriously disappointed by the ending of the...
Published on August 17, 2009 by A mom

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars It worked!, November 14, 2008
This review is from: It Hurts When I Poop!: A Story for Children Who Are Scared to Use the Potty (Hardcover)
It Hurts When I Poop!: A Story for Children Who Are Scared to Use the Potty I was reaching the end of my rope. Just when I thought soiled underwear was behind us forever, my 5 year old daughter started refusing to go poop. I would catch her clenching to keep it in. When I asked her why she said it was because it hurt to go. What a nightmare! She got more and more backed up until it started leaking out into her underwear. I started to worry she was going to have to undergo some horrible, embarrassing, emotionally scarring procedure at the Dr. office. I tried begging, I tried bribing, I tried explaining. I tried fiber chews, I tried to get her to take laxatives. I tried to sneak laxatives into her food (unsuccessfully) still she refused. Desperate, I scoured the web and found this wonderful, wonderful book. We read it as soon as we got it and she loved it. I never would have believed it, and I hadn't really held out much hope, but almost right away she was going in the potty and eating "soft poop" foods. She still wants to hear the story almost every night. It's been nearly a month and (knock on wood) no more poopy pants! If your child has a pooping problem you HAVE to try this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank heaven for this book!, July 15, 2010
Our son was having a terrible time pooping on the potty. He would hold it for up to 3 days. We tried everything from medications to fiber supplements to old wives' tales like brown sugar. We read this book for the first time on a Monday night. Tuesday, Wednesday, and now Thursday he has now pooped on the potty ON HIS OWN! He says he wants to be like Ryan and get rid of the trash in his tummy. He also asks to reread the book. We highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars It Hurts When I Go Poop, January 11, 2009
I used this book for a seven year old student with a PDD disorder. He refused to have a bowel movement in the toilet and repeatedly went in his pants. After reading this book, he started to script certain phrases in the story to remind him how Ryan felt in the book and less than two monthes later, he had his first bowel movement! This was also paired with a reinforcement schedule, however, I feel that this book really made a difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed our family!, August 8, 2008
My son withheld his poops for 2 years and we tried everything...laxatives, stool softeners, other books, prizes for "going", encouragement, pleading...oh, man, you name it, we tried it.

I spotted this book purely by chance at a bookstore one day last month and grabbed it. The first time we read it, he said "Wow...Ryan is just like me! I thought I was the only one who is afraid to poop on the potty!"

It totally clicked. He is NOT alone and LOTS of kids have this problem and if Ryan could do it, so could he. The third day we owned this book he started going in the toilet and has never looked back. I don't know what it is about this book that made it so different from all the others that deal with the same subject, but there is SOMETHING...

Our family is eternally grateful to the author of this book. She REALLY nailed it EXACTLY from the child's point of view. GET THIS BOOK if you are having the same issues we did!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Too advanced for kids, December 1, 2012
The story was well above the head of my 3 1/2 year old. He doesn't read it and it doesn't connect

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST book for children who withhold, November 6, 2008
This is my first every review on Amazon.com. I have never felt compelled to write a review until now. I bought this book for my son (3 1/2) who has had chronic constipation due to withholding (stool retention) for close to a year. This book really helped him release his fear of pooping and understand that pooping is a normal bodily function. I read this book to him and he had his first poop in the potty the next day. Now, granted, we were doing many other interventions (dietary and behavioral) along with reading this that I believe helped him overcome his fear of pooping, but this book was a MAJOR help. Thank you, thank you!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book to approach your toddler fear of pooping on the potty/toilet, March 7, 2009
I bought this book with high hopes that it would cure my 3 year old daughter's fear of pooping on the toilet. She experienced a spell of constipation and since then has been afraid to poop. She has said, the poop hurt my feelings.

The book did help me reach out to her and discuss her fears, just like the character Ryan in the book. The images made her laugh but she was distracted with the storyline. It is rather wordy and small children like my daughter may not want to sit still that long.

If you choose this book, be prepared to read it a few times and maybe shorten the sentences with your own words. This will help with children smaller than 3 years old.

I would still recommend this book and feel it was worth the money for sure. Just keep an open mind and have fun with it. My daughter is still fearful of pooping however she is trying more and more nowadays. Good luck everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars This really helped my child get past that last barrier., June 15, 2010
My daughter used to be so frightened to go at school for fear that she'd have a painful #2 in front of her friends, so she'd hold it, get constipated, wait for the pull-up at home, disappear, and then announce that she needed to be cleaned... This book helped to open up our conversation on the topic and after a few days she started working through the hurtful ones with mommy's help. She still loves when I read it to her and sometimes when I can tell she's struggling on the potty, she'll draw pictures with her finger on the wall to show me what's going on - just like the book! :) This was very much worth the purchase price for me!

2.0 out of 5 stars Book: Not What I Hoped. Included: Natural Way to Soften Stools, March 20, 2013
This book is OK but too wordy for a lot of younger kids, the story in the middle was too unrelated for younger kids, and the kid doesn't even successfully go at the end. Also, the whole food explanation belongs at the end in a note for parents. And there was no where in the book that explained that the more often you go, the less it will hurt. (Said something about holding it making your tummy hurt, but that's not the same.)

If you are a parent with a kid whose stools are still too hard, try magnesium with calcium. They make them in chew-ables or you can smash one up and put it in jelly or something. Magnesium softens stools. It really does work.

Now, how to get my child to stop holding?

5.0 out of 5 stars The Message FINALLY got Through, October 21, 2012
My child was completely potty trained and then suddenly, for no reason we could decipher, decided he didn't want to poop anymore. It has been over 6 months since the problem began and we tried sooooooo many different things I lost count. The bottom line was that my child needed to CHOOSE to poop... and this book was the key to him making that choice. 10 days after we started reading this book he started pooping on the potty again and has consistently continued to do so. We tried other books too, but this is the book that he identified with. Every time he needs to poop he starts quoting parts of this book and often consults the diagram of the "insides" of his body to figure out what is going on inside him. As every parent of a poop withholding child knows, every kid is different and you'll try a million different things that worked for someone else before you find the thing that works for your kid, but this is the thing that worked for us. Good luck!

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

It Hurts When I Poop!: A Story for Children Who Are Scared to Use the Potty
It Hurts When I Poop!: A Story for Children Who Are Scared to Use the Potty by Howard J. Bennett (Hardcover - August 31, 2007)
$14.95 $11.36